PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Adventure > Minecraft
Subscribe    Donate

Old 06-26-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
DarkReign2021
Banned User

DarkReign2021's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
An amazing mod from the PC build

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/0...lda-adventure/

I'm hoping we get the support to do things like this on the Xbox version as well. Depending on what kind of support we get, it'll be amazing to see what kind of creation the Xbox Live fanbase can come up with. Myself personally, I already started working on a couple projects in FortressCraft. My first major project is a 1:1 scale recreation of the level "Silent Cartographer" from Halo: Combat Evolved (Given time, I would like to recreate the entire Campaign from the first game. If I can get a good team together, I might even do all of the Campaign and multiplayer levels. My other project is Kanto from Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow also at a 1:1 scale ratio. Unfortunately the world in FortressCraft is not nearly big enough to make all of the cities and trails, so I really need Minecraft to fully pursue these projects.
DarkReign2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:37 AM   #2
institutions

Send a message via MSN to institutions

institutions's Gamercard

I refuse to play this mod until the full version is released, but it looks awesome

Also, Kanto has already been created by someone in Creative mode and I know of at least a few groups that are recreating it now in Beta.
They're also trying to see if they can build the other regions connected to it, iirc.

When this comes out i'll gladly donate some of my time to helping you on your Kanto-building journey :P
Although most of my time will probably be spent on the PC version, as I don't imagine Minecraft with a 360 controller will be as smooth as mouse and keyboard.

institutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:57 AM   #3
i0123

l0123's Gamercard
Well, I'm going to have to play minecraft now... 3D grass!
i0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:38 AM   #4
DarkReign2021
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by institutions View Post
I refuse to play this mod until the full version is released, but it looks awesome

Also, Kanto has already been created by someone in Creative mode and I know of at least a few groups that are recreating it now in Beta.
They're also trying to see if they can build the other regions connected to it, iirc.

When this comes out i'll gladly donate some of my time to helping you on your Kanto-building journey :P
Although most of my time will probably be spent on the PC version, as I don't imagine Minecraft with a 360 controller will be as smooth as mouse and keyboard.
Aww Somebody beat me to it. Well hell. At least I've still got my H1 Campaign recreation to pursue. I'm not out of the game yet
Old 06-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
13ip0lar

Zweipolig's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Honestly that looks awesome, but I wouldn't hold your breath on seeing mods on XBL. I don't know why so many people think that it's possible. If you talk to any game developer staff member, usually on forums, you will find out that mods will not happen. Microsoft just won't allow them on XBL, because of the ability to break your game, and/or Xbox. Not to mention the huge undertaking to update every mod, and make sure that a current patch works with it. I'm not trying to be cynical, but I encourage you to ask around, and you find out first hand that it won't happen.

I'm not familiar with fortress craft, but if it's more like a tool, or mode, that helps facilitate, the making of a fortress, or building, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to include it. Things like this Zelda mod though, I'm sure we wouldn't get to experience on XBLA.

Now if you're talking about tools you can use that come with the game. Then maybe you will be able to share those with the community. I just know that as of now, Microsoft won't allow anything that can be tampered with on the PC available on XBL. That said, I don't even know if in-game community made files for XBL would be sharable. It's a nice notion, but at the moment, that's all it is.

I hate people... But don't worry, if you are reading this it likely means I don't hate you. Why? People can't read.

Last edited by 13ip0lar; 06-29-2011 at 07:07 PM.
13ip0lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
DarkReign2021
Banned User

^I'm certainly not expecting anything to this level to be possible on the Xbox 360. The level itself and everything in it will be completely possible, but elements like the boomerang and bombs will be unavailable. Mods. unfortunately, are not possible on the Xbox 360 servers even though they are on the PS3 (Bad decision on Microsoft's part.) I would expect, however, that a large number of the more popular mods that surface from the PC community will be made available on the XBL build in time. This game is all about the mods and customizations that players can bring to their world. so even if we can't create our own, I wouldn't be surprised to see patches with mods included.)

The real question, though, is will PC and 360 players be able to play on the same servers. I don't see a 360 version of Minecraft being too overly successful, so the entire experience would be hampered by the lack of an online fanbase. Having access to the PC servers would fix this issue, but than the issue of mods comes into play. Unless the PC version has a way of differentiating vanilla servers from modded servers, I would say that will pose a problem in the future when this comes out.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
13ip0lar

Zweipolig's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign2021 View Post
^I'm certainly not expecting anything to this level to be possible on the Xbox 360. The level itself and everything in it will be completely possible, but elements like the boomerang and bombs will be unavailable. Mods. unfortunately, are not possible on the Xbox 360 servers even though they are on the PS3 (Bad decision on Microsoft's part.) I would expect, however, that a large number of the more popular mods that surface from the PC community will be made available on the XBL build in time. This game is all about the mods and customizations that players can bring to their world. so even if we can't create our own, I wouldn't be surprised to see patches with mods included.)

The real question, though, is will PC and 360 players be able to play on the same servers. I don't see a 360 version of Minecraft being too overly successful, so the entire experience would be hampered by the lack of an online fanbase. Having access to the PC servers would fix this issue, but than the issue of mods comes into play. Unless the PC version has a way of differentiating vanilla servers from modded servers, I would say that will pose a problem in the future when this comes out.
I agree 100%. I would like to comment on the patch side of things though. I'm just asking this as a question, so don't think I'm taking a tone, but do you know anything about MS and how they limit arcade games ability to update? Because I know very little, except what I hear from developers.

The reason I ask is because I follow the information, and staff replies, given on the forums of ubernet, who are the creators of Monday Night Combat (MNC). I love this game, however, PC has seen a lot more love than Xbox, despite it having better sales numbers. Edit: I just trashed my whole post, and quoted the mod over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadStretch
I guess people will never realize Microsoft plays favorites over the titles that make then the most money.

As for an update Uber has already reached their 4mb limit on patch updates so that means they will either have to work out some deal with Microsoft to increase their patch size limit or include it within the DLC.

Uber is in the process of upgrading the Unreal Engine so we will not see an update until that is done. If you like you can keep an eye on the PC updates and once they get the Engine update an XBox update shouldn't be too far behind.

Not to spoil anyone's dreams but at this rate it just might come out around Q4 of this year.

Bottom line is Steam lets developers basically update and upgrade at their discretion, while in the case of Microsoft it's in their terms at their time.
This probably all happened between December of 2010, and January of 2011. Since then we have yet to receive any updates. Hell the post that led to the one I quoted was by an artist for the game, and took them till the ass-end of April, to make a thread called Where's the 360 Love and How Come PC gets updates?

So the point I was trying to make with all this was, if they have such disregard for what I deem to be an awesome game, how far will they go to accommodate or make Minecraft work, and do the game justice.

2nd Edit: I just got really interested in FC, and didn't realize it was a minecraft for Xbox. I thought it was a mod for MC. Anyways, I just stumbled across this: http://fortresscraftforums.com/index...g-to-xbox-360/

He states in there that patches cost $25,000? Is he serious, I can't imagine how he is going to do that or afford it, unless this chapter system he is doing is basically like a new game, but works like an expansion, so he can avoid the 25k patch cost. Like good lord...

I hate people... But don't worry, if you are reading this it likely means I don't hate you. Why? People can't read.

Last edited by 13ip0lar; 07-01-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #8
DarkReign2021
Banned User

Unfortunately the issue with MS and downloadable games on the marketplace is that they keep very strict control over the content. As you mentioned, they play favorites. They will always favor with things like Map packs for Halo and CoD over the little guys.

The big issue, though, is that they only update once (maybe twice) a week. When a developer makes DLC or patches, they must submit the content in question for quality testing by microsoft representatives. Depending on when you submit and the value of your game to microsoft, this will affect when your product in question is actually checked. Some weeks are better than others. For instance, an arcade game or Indie game should never release when a large title is releasing a map pack because the content can easily sit for a month before it's checked.

The next issue is that Microsoft has very strict standards for quality testing. These standards I do not know, but I do know that quite a few patches are rejected for lacking in quantity in effect.

Finally, after a patch is finally approved by the MS reps, it than has to idle until the next XBL update, which as far as I know is every Tuesday.)

As far as cost goes, I do not believe it costs $25,000 to submit or anything for that matter. It's more a matter of percentage. One of the reasons developers like Valve neglect the 360 so much is because MS doesn't typically allow DLC to go for free. So for instance Valve wants to publish the updates in Team Fortress 2 free of charge to bring about the enormous number of game changes they've made, but MS wants to charge for it. Valve refuses and instead only updates the PC and PS3 as a result. Microsoft gets a percentage, probably around 50% or so, of every purchase made.

Also, Fortress Craft is drastically limited in it's functionality, but for $3 it does have a good level of fun for anybody that enjoys the building aspects of Minecraft. FC is pretty much just like Minecraft Alpha. You have all of the material blocks in infinite supply and can build and destroy as much as you desire. There is unfortunately no crafting at the moment, so structures will be unfortunately bare, but there are a few relics to make the game more interesting such as Speed Boots, Jump Boots, Jetpacks, and an Ice Gun that lets you play freeze tag on custom built maps. I've got a decently extensive little city built on it right now that I'm hoping to expand in case Minecraft doesn't turn out to be so fruitful on the 360.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:16 AM   #9
13ip0lar

Zweipolig's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign2021 View Post
Unfortunately the issue with MS and downloadable games on the marketplace is that they keep very strict control over the content. As you mentioned, they play favorites. They will always favor with things like Map packs for Halo and CoD over the little guys.
Cut it down for space, but I see what your saying. That's kinda, excuse the poor wording, but gay. That they want to people to charge for DLC. I'm glad some developers are taking a stand. I know like I said, Monday Night Combat's first DLC was free. I also know that Valve has said their first DLC for Portal 2 will be free. Which after just buying Portal: Still Alive, yesterday I really want to buy now. I don't know tbh, I tried out FC for a short time, and really am not all that motivated to build stuff. As sad as this sounds, and just plain stupid, I think I'll wait for MC. I don't think it's any better than FC, but the survival aspect that DJ Aracus said he wouldn't be doing, I actually think I would enjoy in MC. I actually like the idea of making a huge mine, and then somehow connect it to some compound I have built. Ionno, plus then hopefully some of my friends will get it and if nothing else I can help them build stuff. :P

Also right now I live vicariously through these guys. They are great fun to watch and basically try every Minecraft mod under the sun.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueXephos

Last edited by 13ip0lar; 07-03-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:41 AM   #10
DarkReign2021
Banned User

Oh definitely. FortressCraft is by no means superior to Minecraft. The only real advantages FC has over MC at the moment is the graphic quality and the fact that it's at least already on the 360. Unfortunately there's no crafting yet, there's a lack of variety in placeable objects, the worlds draw distance is too small, the blocks themselves are way too big compared to your avatar, etc... Since it's only the 1st of 5 planned installations, I do look forward to what other additions will be added to it, but I'm also looking forward to Minecraft because of the sheer amount of freedom it offers (I'm still concerned about how servers are going to work on the 360 version though. I really want it to be like the PC versions, but I have no idea how that would work. All of the servers would have to be MS dedicated and it would end up being more like an MMO.)
Old 07-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #11
ODST Kayne

ODST Kayne's Gamercard

I actually bought FC because I had a few spare MS points that weren't going anywhere, and I couldn't play it. The whole time I just keep feeling like it was a bad Minecraft clone. It really has nothing over Minecraft, because graphics don't really count for anything.(At least they shouldn't) I'm just excited to see MC on the Xbox. It sucks that we'll never see mods, but its still going to be a great experience.

Time to start a new character 100
Reach Rank 5
ODST Kayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #12
13ip0lar

Zweipolig's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODST Kayne View Post
I actually bought FC because I had a few spare MS points that weren't going anywhere, and I couldn't play it. The whole time I just keep feeling like it was a bad Minecraft clone. It really has nothing over Minecraft, because graphics don't really count for anything.(At least they shouldn't) I'm just excited to see MC on the Xbox. It sucks that we'll never see mods, but its still going to be a great experience.
While I'm sure everyone is bothered by this, the channel I mentioned recently posted a video of a new "core" update for MC, which leaves me with hope. Up till now you seen a shit-ton of mods doing all the things in MC you wanted to do, or think should be there added. As time goes on Notch, I believe his name to be, is implementing these things in MC. So even if we don't get mods, I hope we will get the majority of what MC users have. Although I notice they have a lot of Story/quest type mods, and as low budget as they look and feel, they look like they would be fun to do with a friend.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #13
seahn

Send a message via MSN to seahn

seahn's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by institutions View Post

if you have a wired 360 controller i suggest running xpadder and trying PC minecraft out on the controller... as long as the 360 version of minecraft will have the ability to customize the controls it will be fine... also, i am interested in what ways (if not only as a controller) they will use the kinect...

but i do on occasion use my 360 controller for minecraft, and its not bad, by far inferior to using a mouse and keyboard, but not terrible...

seahn is offline   Reply With Quote