PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Puzzle and Word > Hexic HD
Subscribe    Donate

Old 07-05-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
arcticfox

whitefoX1029's Gamercard
I made a masters grid! Now what...?

The good news is that I made a masters grid, right at the end of level 2! I have two combos remaining until I move on to level three (and bombs v.v; ).

My questions are:

- how do I deal with bombs? I could see making them into a starflower if I was lucky enough to have the pieces nearby, but that won't be the case every time. In the past (when working on the grid), I just kept the bomb at the top, and moved a starflower at the top to get a match of three, and then repaired the grid. Is there a better way than that?

- what do I do now?
What is the best way to get Poobah, and if I surround a black pearl with six other black pearls, will I also get the achievement for a cluster of three black pearls (Big Cheese)?

I'm just going to save my game now, and try to copy the complete grid over to a memory card for safekeeping. Time to relax for a bit.

Working On: Scott Pilgrim The Game, Forza 2, LEGO Batman
arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:37 AM   #2
rekikire

rekikire x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - rekikire   Staff Club - Never Final   Staff Club - Minty   1,000 Posts   x360a Representer   GSL 10 Winner   GSL 10 MVP   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
The bombs come at a regular rate. Count the number of combos that you have made and just before the bomb arrives build the top of the grid with pairs of each colour. When the bomb arrives you should easily be able to make a combo to destroy the bomb.

Grand pearl pooh-bah is surround any piece, that isn't a black pearl, with 6 black pearls, you can't surround a black pearl with 6 pearls, as soon as you have three together big cheese will pop and the game will end.
rekikire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
arcticfox

whitefoX1029's Gamercard
All right then, I ended up getting both of the achievements, all though not at the same time. I'm considering writing a guide about it, but I'm not sure if it's needed since this game is so old.

I made a grid for each achievement. With Pooh-Bah I had three bombs, and managed to clear them in a way that didn't harm the grid. I made two pearls at a time, and tried to get both achievements at the same time (six pearls around a starflower, and a pearl attached to that), but it only gave me Pooh-Bah. The next time I made a grid (it only took about an hour that time), and was a bit more destructive with the grid, since I wouldn't need it for long.

It's probably pointless to document all of that, but I've not seen it written anywhere else, in detail, how to go about it. Hexic.info, a site that came up a lot with Google, isn't around any more, and all of the videos I've watched skipped something important. But whatever; I'm just happy to have the achievements. Almost at 100%!

Working On: Scott Pilgrim The Game, Forza 2, LEGO Batman
arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
theEVOL1

theEVOL1's Gamercard
It IS possible to get Big Cheese and Poo-bah at the same time, unfortunately it is very inconsistent. It's all about the way the game reads combos and the scoring priority. For a game of intelligence, this game is actually pretty dumb. (programming wise) There is a scoring priority that the game tries to follow. (You learn more about that if you begin to attempt MMCs for leaderboard high scores) The priority is from top to bottom, left to right. Since either Big Cheese or Poo-bah end the game, as soon as the scoring engine detects either, it stops calculating. The trick is simultaneous scanning. The problem is that the pieces seem to cascade at different speeds. So while ten people will come in saying they got them both in one game, ten others will come in and say that it didn't work. It's really frustrating when you put hours into an MMC and the game only scores half of your formation!!

Another thing, although it looks as though you won't be needing bomb help unless you plan on going for high scores, for anyone else building a master's grid, keep at least 3 multiplier star pieces at the top for emergency bomb disposal. As Rekikire said, the bombs show up at regular intervals. Once you get into level 7 and have all colors unlocked, bombs show up every 10th combo. I have a little golf stroke counter to keep track and then you can prepare yourself by trying to move two of every color to the top. if you can't do that, the 3 multiplier star hexes can be comboed next to the bomb for a simple disposal.

Also, remember to take your time with bombs. A lot of people get nervous when bombs fall, but if you have a master's grid, there is rarely a bomb that can't be disposed of. Count out your moves and make sure you can do it. If you can't find a solution, take a screen shot and post it in here and someone will see it and hopefully be able to see something you may have missed. Trying to have the multipliers at the top is the surest way to have your own back when it comes to bomb defense!

theEVOL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
MathGuy42

MathGuy42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Gold   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticfox View Post
Hexic.info, a site that came up a lot with Google, isn't around any more, and all of the videos I've watched skipped something important.
I can't really help, except to say that it looks like hexic.info still lives at
http://web.comhem.se/~u77401132/hexic/index.html
I imagine the owner just let the hexic.info DNS entry expire.
MathGuy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:03 AM   #6
madmankevin

madmankevin's Gamercard
My impatience keeps killing my master grid. Anyways, I'm going to have that down soon and would love to know what you did to create black pearls from that point. I don't know where on your grid you would do that.

Here's a weird question: can you copy you Hexic game save? When I look in the memory I can only see the game so I'm assuming the game save is actually included on the game itself. So if I get a master grid can I copy my entire game over to a memory unit? That way if I mess up I'll be covered?

OP- I would love for you to create a guide on how you turned a master grid into a Grand Pearl Pooh Bah. I'll take any help. I want my 200 in this game!

Thanks!

madmankevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:59 AM   #7
theEVOL1

theEVOL1's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmankevin View Post
My impatience keeps killing my master grid. Anyways, I'm going to have that down soon and would love to know what you did to create black pearls from that point. I don't know where on your grid you would do that.

Here's a weird question: can you copy you Hexic game save? When I look in the memory I can only see the game so I'm assuming the game save is actually included on the game itself. So if I get a master grid can I copy my entire game over to a memory unit? That way if I mess up I'll be covered?

OP- I would love for you to create a guide on how you turned a master grid into a Grand Pearl Pooh Bah. I'll take any help. I want my 200 in this game!

Thanks!
No, you can't copy your games. Your save game is not on your memory device. A strange thing about Hexic is that your games are saved kind of like the old school games. They are saved to the game like it were a cartridge game. Technically you COULD hook your HDD into your computer to break into it to pull the file, but it wouldn't be easy and I'm not even sure what you would do with it.

As far as manufacturing pearls, I personally do it in the very top right of my grid, but anywhere in the top row is fine. I do it on the side to make sure I don't really have to mess with it while building stars on the other 3/4ths of the board. I have been meaning to make a guide, but I'm always so busy.

Maybe I will at least put some pics or short videos up until I can get the time to do the full guide. If you have any questions or anything, feel free to ask! I check into this game forum every day or two, so I'll try to help as best I can.

theEVOL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
MathGuy42

MathGuy42's Gamercard

Quote:
If it helps, I wrote about how I eventually succeeded to make a Poobah, in the Achievement Discussion thread.
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...4&postcount=33

In short, I found it easier to only make the bottom 3 rows of the Masters Grid, plus start the 4th to make more Stars for the Pearls. I found it easier to make Pearls by walking Star Pairs into place. Having a complete Grid might have made that difficult.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
madmankevin

madmankevin's Gamercard
Much appreciation for the responses guys! I'm going to use your tips and videos to help me with this. I'm determined to getting 200 in this game! I'll let you know if I need any more assistance.

Thanks again!

I just got the Grand Pearl Pooh-Bah! Thanks again for the help guys and I want to let you know that I used/studied your videos MathGuy42! Thanks for taking the time making them!

Now I just need Big Cheese and Hexic Addict to wrap this one up!

Edit: 200/200! Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Shinobi273; 08-09-2011 at 12:22 AM. Reason: double post
Old 08-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #10
MathGuy42

MathGuy42's Gamercard

Quote:
I just got the Grand Pearl Pooh-Bah! Thanks again for the help guys and I want to let you know that I used/studied your videos MathGuy42! Thanks for taking the time making them!

Now I just need Big Cheese and Hexic Addict to wrap this one up!

Edit: 200/200! Thanks everyone!
Congratulations!

I appreciate the thanks, but I didn't make the videos. I just found them and posted the link. I don't recall now exactly how I found them. I don't think they were directly linked elsewhere on x360a or TA, but I certainly got help from both sources as I searched for videos and advice.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:21 AM   #11
madmankevin

madmankevin's Gamercard
Whoops!

Yours or not, it was still extremely helpful!

Edit: Why did Shinobi edit my two posts? They clearly weren't a double post. Trying to keep the busy Hexic forums clean eh?

Last edited by madmankevin; 08-10-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #12
Fester

Good vid. Extremly helpful with the master grid. Finally got grand poobah after 306 minutes of successful gameplay. Now, just need Big Cheese and Addict.
Fester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #13
Aluminum Cook

Aluminum Cook's Gamercard
Looking at this information leads me to think I might be able to get this. Maybe it's time to go back to these last 2 tasks.

Retail: 17 Including: Alan Wake, Assassin's Creed 1 & 2, Fable 2 & 3, Prince of Persia & PoP: The Forgotten Sands, Red Dead Redemption, Soul Calibur 4 & 5, Tales of Vesperia

Arcade: 23 Including: 1 vs. 100, Alien Hominid, Bastion, Carcassone, Castle Crashers, MtG: DotP & MTG: DotP 2012, Plants vs. Zombies, Portal, Trials Evolution
Aluminum Cook is offline   Reply With Quote