PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Call of Duty: Black Ops
Subscribe    Donate

Old 07-05-2011, 06:03 AM   #1
Nevander

Nevander's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Shangri La Easter Egg Walkthrough + Strategies

NOTE: I know there are millions of guides for this, but I felt like posting up a written text guide, rather a video. I know some prefer text. I also made a guide just like this for CotD as well.

Shangri La Easter Egg Walkthrough + Survival Strategies
Written by Nevander
Thanks to NTGachievements for the full video guide

THE EASTER EGG

Tips and Other Information
  • Must be done in 4 player co-op.
  • Napalm Zombie needed alive for two steps.
  • Upgraded 31-79 JGb215 or “shrink gun” required.
  • When a step is done correctly, the eclipse will change to day.
  • All steps must be done during eclipse unless otherwise noted.
  • Two players must buy Spikemores, resulting in having four total to use.
  • Monkey Bombs not required but make things easier.
  • Ray Gun not required but also makes things easier.
  • Person who acquires shrink gun needs to get another good gun and immediately save up for 5000 to upgrade shrink gun.
  • Everyone obtains the achievement once completed, as well as the gamer pictures.
  • Refer to the bottom section for tips on how to survive.
  • Radios are not any part of the steps, neither is the Golden Rod held by Richtofen.
Step One – Turn on the Power
To get to the power you must open all the doors leading down into the caves in either direction, left or right, from the starting area. The power is located in the very bottom room where there are two large water wheels. There are two power switches, hit them both, then return to the starting area.

Step Two – Activate the Eclipse
In the starting area, inside the square area where Quick Revive is, there are four large round pressure switches. Have all four players push them at once, and the eclipse will occur. The eclipse is needed for pretty much all steps following step two. The eclipse lasts for about five or so minutes, which is ample time for each step.

Step Three – Synchronizing the Pressure Plates
After activating the eclipse, head down towards where the MPL is located (go left if facing Quick Revive, then down the hill to the right) and locate another rounded switch on the foot of a wall statue around the corner from the MPL.

Pressure plates will then rise up from the ground around you and on the other side of the map across from the mud maze. The person near the MPL needs to check one of the plates for a symbol (it can be one of twelve different symbols), step off the plate, tell the symbol to the other person who is across from the mud maze, and then finds and stands on the corresponding symbol plate, then goes on to the next one until all are down.

Here are some short tips for this step:
  • The plates are synchronized by both players standing on the same symbol plate at the same time.
  • Do not stand on different symbols at the same time or the step will reset.
  • There are a total of twelve sets of plates.
  • The placement of the plates and symbols is a set occurrence.
  • All plates must be synchronized before the eclipse ends.
Step Four – Water Slide Switches
After the pressure plates, head to the water slide adjacent to the mud maze. Three of the four players must slide down and stand on the metal grating all together. Then, the fourth player must go down the slide and bump into a small stick-like switch poking out from the right side of the slide wall. As long as you bump the switch with your body, it will release.

Step Five – The Wall Crystal
After the water slide, head back to the water slide entrance and there will be a fairly large crystal in the rock wall above the slide.

Use any explosive (grenade, Ray Gun, etc.) to knock down the crystal. Shrink the crystal with the shrink gun and then knife it into the slide. Follow it down and it will automatically go into the water geyser across from the slide. Go into the geyser and it will fly up then land in place on the building to the left of the geyser.

Step Six – Napalm Ignition of Gas Pipes
This is the hardest step, simply because you must leave a Napalm Zombie alive, as well as at least one crawler, all while trying not to get cornered.

Once you have a Napalm Zombie alive during the wave, keep him away from everyone. Don’t get too close or he will explode, making you try again the next round.

The best way to accomplish this step is described here:
  • Have everyone camping at the four-player co-op survival strategy location (the water slide area) and when the Napalm Zombie shows up, one person throws a Monkey Bomb (if they have one, but away from the Napalm Zombie) and then everyone piles into the slide.
  • Once you reach the bottom, head back up through the cave to the right to allow the Napalm Zombie to follow you.
  • Continue moving along the underground, making sure the Napalm Zombie stays behind you.
  • At this point, make at least one crawler.
  • Keep going around the map, then when you eventually get back to the starting area (keeping the Napalm Zombie in visual contact), activate the eclipse, and continue to lead him to the pipes for the step.
Lead the Napalm Zombie down into the cave where the pipes, wheel, and lever is located (this is the cave near the MPL). Turn the orange metal wheel four times, to activate the gas to leak from the pipes. The napalm zombie must ignite four gas leaks along the cave route. Once all four are lit, head back to the wheel and then pull the lever which will raise up and complete the step.

Step Seven – Plugging the Cave Holes
Directly after the Napalm Zombie step, continue to lead him down through the other cave (the one near the mud maze and waterfall).

The two players who bought Spikemores must plant them so that they face the holes in the walls. They are hard to spot, but they are small black round holes along the inner wall of the cave. Plant all four Spikemores far back away from the holes, then have the Napalm Zombie from the previous step trigger all four in succession.

Make sure to lead him from the top of the cave, not the bottom where the water is. Since you are in four player co-op, the Napalm Zombie will not die from the Spikemores.

Step Eight – Water Wall Switch
After plugging all four holes, take care of the Napalm Zombie, then go out into the water and press the brick sticking out of the wall in the middle of the water. The switch is hard to find but you will see “Don’t hold ” once you find it.

Step Nine – Wall Pressure Plates
Once the switch has been pushed, re-activate the eclipse and then search around the entire map for twelve pressure plates on the wall. You will be searching for plates that look similar to the ones in step three. Get close to them and knife them and they will glow, like the plates in step three. These do not have to be knifed in any certain order, and they do not change spawn locations either.

Step Ten – Wooden Tipi
Directly after hitting all twelve pressure plates, head to where the mine cart is that you can ride, and across from it on a ledge you will see a small wooden tent, or tipi. Destroy it with any explosive.

Step Eleven – Mud Maze Dials
In the mud maze, there are four large grey circular dials with four symbols on each side. These dials must be turned to the correct symbol on the tops of the wheels.

Here is the correct arrangement of dials:
  • Starting with the dial in the corner nearest the waterslide, turn it to four dots on top.
  • The one across from the one above behind it needs to be three dots on top.
  • The one to the right of the window needs to be one dot on top.
  • Then the last to the left of the window needs to be a C, lowercase L, and one dot.

Last edited by Nevander; 07-05-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Nevander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #2
Nevander

Nevander's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Step Twelve – Activating the Gongs
This is probably the most confusing step, because the order is always random. To make things simple, there are gongs scattered around the map, eight I believe.

You must find which gongs are the correct gongs, as well as which order to hit them in. Knife one and see what happens. If the diamond above the building you are closest to lights up red, this means you did something wrong.

If the gong is correct, you will hear no ringing noise and your character will not say anything. Keep trying different orders and patterns until you light up the diamonds orange with a rotating Treyarch symbol.

Step Thirteen – Dynamite and Shrinking the Meteor

Now you must locate the dynamite, as well as trigger the diamonds in the correct order, and the correct diamonds as well.

The dynamite will always be in the same place, and it can be found hanging from the diamond above the building near the mine cart. Now you must hit this diamond with the upgraded shrink gun, someone must catch the dynamite, then quickly run back over to the starting area and hit the one above the mud maze.

After hitting the one above the mud maze, the shot will then travel across all of the diamonds around the map, then hit the last one and split into three flares and hit the enormous meteor above the Pack-A-Punch.

Step Fourteen – Blowing the Wall
After the meteor has been shrunk, quickly activate the Pack-A-Punch before the eclipse ends, directly after the previous step. Once it is open, head up the stairs and you will notice the Pack-A-Punch is gone. The person with the dynamite needs to run up to the back wall, then wait for the dialogue, and then hold to insert the dynamite into the wall. After a short wait (it’s actually sort of long) the eclipse will vanish and the wall will be gone. This will now allow access to the stone and the achievement.

The person who grabs the stone will receive all seven perks and will not lose them if downed.

All players will receive the achievement as well as two new gamer pictures to complete the set started by CotD.

SURVIVAL STRATEGIES

Strategy for surviving in Solo:
  • Start off by earning as much points as possible with only the pistol and knifing.
  • Buy M14 if you wish, then continue to proceed towards the box location.
  • Try to obtain a decent weapon, anything you are comfortable with.
  • Continue to open doors and barriers, working your way towards the power.
  • Get the power going and then finish opening doors.
  • Now you can begin using the circle-map strategy. This is done by starting at the exit side of the mud maze, run down the bridge, go through the underground, come out the other cave, continue through the traps, then jump across to about the middle of the mud maze, get out of it, and then turn around and unload!
  • Just keep circling the map in this fashion, all while buying perks, bowie knife, spikemores, and pretty much anything else that you want.
Strategy for surviving in two-player co-op:
  • Repeat steps one through five from the solo strategy.
  • The best way to survive with two players would be to simply keep moving together around the map, trying to hold each room for as long as possible while moving at the same time.
  • Not much can be done in two-player co-op, usually zombies doesn’t work out great with two people.
Strategy for surviving in three-player co-op:
  • With three players, the best thing to do would be to hang out by the water slide, having one person to each main direction.
  • One watches front (whoever has best guns), one watches window, and one watches the rock cave side entrance and ledge.
  • You won’t be able to hold this place as well with three people, but it’s better than most other locations around the map.
Strategy for surviving in four-player co-op:
  • Easily the best place with four people is the waterfall.
  • Two people (with the best guns) watch the mud maze area, and one gets window, the last gets the side path with the rock cave and ledge.
  • Whenever someone is down, throw Monkey Bombs and get them.
  • For an escape route, you have the water slide.

CREDITS

Thanks to NGTachievements for the awesome video guide in which this was based off of.

The best thing to do would be to use this video guide along with my written guide to get the clearest understanding.

Here is the video guide in question:

Signature by Gackt. Click it to visit the Classic FPS Gamers x360a social group!
Random friend requests or invites sent with no message will be deleted.
I have moved to PC gaming for the most part, so I won't be on Xbox LIVE much anymore.

Last edited by Nevander; 07-05-2011 at 06:18 AM.
Nevander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
MACdanstaface

MACdanstaface's Gamercard
You must have put a lot of effort into writing this.

But for the zombie "stategy"...

"proceed towards the box location.
Try to obtain a decent weapon"

This is basically the main problem with Random players in zombies. If your strategy is based on the box, then there's something wrong with it...

Thx to SeedyEvil for the Sig

MACdanstaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
MrNickels

Ving Rhames's Gamercard
So not only do you acknowledge that there's three billion guides for this already, you still post your "text only" version, followed by a video...
MrNickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
Hydrophillic

hydrophillic's Gamercard
Great guide, very helpful.

Youre right, some people do prefer text much more than video for this type of thing (including me)

Could you please link to your COTD version? Or PM me?
Hydrophillic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
abstract1620

harry coinshlot's Gamercard
Nice guide, this is the first text guide ive seen that was well written and punctuated, which really does make a difference. wish you had done this before i knocked this one out.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
bcfc123

Nice guide. The best strategy i find is camp on the bridge 2 at the front and 2 people at the back its really easy to get to round 20+.
bcfc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
ExtremeRugburn

Extreme Rugburn's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
First off, nice "written" guide. Everything is explained really well and I wish I had found one like this when I got my achievement. I had to visit three separate guides because none of them were complete or did not explain things well.

Second to the dick who made the post quoted below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNickels View Post
So not only do you acknowledge that there's three billion guides for this already, you still post your "text only" version, followed by a video...
Why criticize someone who is trying to help? Yes their are alot of guides, however, several are complete crap, including some already posted on this site. I know because I have tried using them. I have the achievement and how it is explained here is nearly perfect. I also applaud him for including a video guide because some people prefer that or like to have both. The OP is giving you two tools in one place, and yet you chose to mock and criticize. You need to follow some very old advice: If you dont have something nice to say, shut up.

PS: MrNickels (Ving Rhames) Since you dont have any of the Shangri La achievements yet you might want to use this guide /wink.

Last edited by ExtremeRugburn; 07-05-2011 at 09:37 PM.
ExtremeRugburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
bcfc123

Just got to step 13 with 3 random guys and it all went wrong trying to get the dynamite. Will give it another try 2moro.
bcfc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:08 AM   #10
TheMasta7

TheMasta7's Gamercard
another good tip is too not try any other step until you get the shrink gun, also if you dont have the shrink gun by round 7 or 8 restart because its alot easier to get the easter egg done sooner rather than later.
TheMasta7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:43 AM   #11
MrNickels

Ving Rhames's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeRugburn View Post
First off, nice "written" guide. Everything is explained really well and I wish I had found one like this when I got my achievement. I had to visit three separate guides because none of them were complete or did not explain things well.

Second to the dick who made the post quoted below:

Why criticize someone who is trying to help? Yes their are alot of guides, however, several are complete crap, including some already posted on this site. I know because I have tried using them. I have the achievement and how it is explained here is nearly perfect. I also applaud him for including a video guide because some people prefer that or like to have both. The OP is giving you two tools in one place, and yet you chose to mock and criticize. You need to follow some very old advice: If you dont have something nice to say, shut up.

PS: MrNickels (Ving Rhames) Since you dont have any of the Shangri La achievements yet you might want to use this guide /wink.
Well it would be VERY difficult to get the achievements without the map...

And you can throw a rock and hit six other guides, written or otherwise, and there will still be more to come.
MrNickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
Invincible25x

invincible25x's Gamercard
This is a great text description of what to do for this achievement.

While I have not finished the achievement yet, I will be using this guide to do so. Great job!

I found this video to be helpful as well so I thought I would share it.

Invincible25x is offline   Reply With Quote