Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > F.E.A.R. 3
Subscribe    Donate

Old 07-07-2011, 07:20 AM   #1
TOO Taco Bob

Taco Bob's Gamercard
Achievement Story - Hanging 20

I don't normally post stuff like this, but since I'm so relieved to actually have gotten the achievement I figured I'd share a funny/infuriating story.

I was attempting the Hanging 20 achievement solo (no split-screen) on Mechanized Invasion, and after a few attempts had finally managed to get to wave 20; cue the Phase Commanders and Giant Mech. All was going well, no real problem, when all of a sudden I must have bumped into Alma because she had teleported me outside of my Mech.

I have a little freakout because I'm vulnerable, but manage to get back in it safely. However, once I was back in the safety of the cockpit, I noticed something strange. The Phase Commander I was fighting was nowhere to be seen and the targeting lock on was focused on the wall. This is where I start to get worried, as I knew what had happened at this point, but I didn't want to accept it so I decide to go take out the Giant Mech. Kill it, round doesn't end, fuck. One of the Phase Commanders was stuck in the wall/glitched out of the map.

For the next 45 minutes I proceed to try dozens of ways to kill him, yelling and swearing as each attempt fails. I even tried bouncing grenades off of objects in the backdrop (surprisingly they were solid), but still couldn't hurt him. I had plenty of ammo, since this was also the match that I got the 30 crates achievement. Finally, after I had pretty much given up hope, I started slide kicking the wall. I had tried melee in the mech, but not on foot because of the fire spot that follows you on the ground. Well when I did that, he responded with a lunge of his own (trying to hit me). What followed was about a 20 minute dance of me knifing him as he lunged out of the wall. Finally after a couple dozen hits he died, wave continued, I won, achievement unlocked!

TL;DR Spent a couple hours playing Contractions for achievement, got to wave 20, enemy glitched outside of map. Spent nearly an hour trying to damage him, give up and freak out, realize that melee hurts him. Achievement Unlocked!
TOO Taco Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
ruslan74

Send a message via MSN to ruslan74 Send a message via Skype™ to ruslan74

ruslan74's Gamercard
Nicely done. Wasnt certain whether reaching wave 20 solo was possible as not many friends on my list have the game. Will give it a bash once I am level 21.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
Doc Lolly

doctor lollypop's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO Taco Bob View Post
I don't normally post stuff like this, but since I'm so relieved to actually have gotten the achievement I figured I'd share a funny/infuriating story.

I was attempting the Hanging 20 achievement solo (no split-screen) on Mechanized Invasion, and after a few attempts had finally managed to get to wave 20; cue the Phase Commanders and Giant Mech. All was going well, no real problem, when all of a sudden I must have bumped into Alma because she had teleported me outside of my Mech.

I have a little freakout because I'm vulnerable, but manage to get back in it safely. However, once I was back in the safety of the cockpit, I noticed something strange. The Phase Commander I was fighting was nowhere to be seen and the targeting lock on was focused on the wall. This is where I start to get worried, as I knew what had happened at this point, but I didn't want to accept it so I decide to go take out the Giant Mech. Kill it, round doesn't end, fuck. One of the Phase Commanders was stuck in the wall/glitched out of the map.

For the next 45 minutes I proceed to try dozens of ways to kill him, yelling and swearing as each attempt fails. I even tried bouncing grenades off of objects in the backdrop (surprisingly they were solid), but still couldn't hurt him. I had plenty of ammo, since this was also the match that I got the 30 crates achievement. Finally, after I had pretty much given up hope, I started slide kicking the wall. I had tried melee in the mech, but not on foot because of the fire spot that follows you on the ground. Well when I did that, he responded with a lunge of his own (trying to hit me). What followed was about a 20 minute dance of me knifing him as he lunged out of the wall. Finally after a couple dozen hits he died, wave continued, I won, achievement unlocked!

TL;DR Spent a couple hours playing Contractions for achievement, got to wave 20, enemy glitched outside of map. Spent nearly an hour trying to damage him, give up and freak out, realize that melee hurts him. Achievement Unlocked!

going kerouac on everybody's ass for 21 years
Doc Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
AcidGlow

AcidGlowx's Gamercard
I haven't seen the end wave of Mech stage, only Commute and Suicide. Commute is just a few bomb strapped leapers.. followed by a Rev 9 Power Armor... not that hard.. but Suicide has alot of Phase Caster and Commanders..
AcidGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
TOO Taco Bob

Taco Bob's Gamercard
Overall, the map isn't that hard. What really screwed me over was that I kept trying to gather crates in between rounds, going for the Handle with Care achievement. Either I wouldn't get back to the mech in time for the next round or one time a rocketeer was left from the previous round (don't ask me how) and shot me straight in the face as soon as I got out.

If you are just focusing on wave 20, then I would recommend this map, as long as you stay in the mech.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
scorpy78

k1ll1ng slayer's Gamercard
so is it possible to unlock it alone?
What game mode? Training?
scorpy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #7
AcidGlow

AcidGlowx's Gamercard
Just did wave 20 of Mechanized Invasion. Not bad. Wave 20 just had a few dogs, 2 phase commanders and 1 EPA that spawned.. ONTO of the highway.. making it easy to kill without taking damage from it..
Old 07-08-2011, 04:18 AM   #8
TOO Taco Bob

Taco Bob's Gamercard
You only had to fight 2 Phase Commanders?! I had to kill at least a dozen of those bastards.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
AcidGlow

AcidGlowx's Gamercard
Even in the REV9 Power Armor, the Commanders are not hard. Just use the missiles on them cause it stuns them and cancels their attacks. Easy pickings. The laser is mainly good for other Rev9 mechs or EPA's and the soldiers too.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #10
Drunk3nR4d

Drunk3nR4d's Gamercard
haha sooo, i got to the 20th level doing mechanized assault solo... last phase commander, got teleported outta my mech and the same glitch happened to me. so instantly i jumped out and tried knifing the wall, to no avail... tried everything. what worked was shooting rockets at the wall with my mech. im very thankful that it worked or else i woudla been pretty friggin pissed!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:36 PM   #11
ace2ey

Ace2ey's Gamercard
Same thing happened to me. Except slide kicking the wall didn't help, no reaction so instead I get to start again

40k broke 2/19/10
60k - 10/10/10
ace2ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:39 AM   #12
scmark15

scmark15's Gamercard
This just happened to me a few minutes ago solo...knifed the wall for 20 mins. Shot the wall in the mech...nothing. Throwing grenades of the wall, first one exploded (direct impact)...did this till no more grenades spawned... spent the last hour trying to kill him to no avail. I'm gonna give'er another go later on tonite, when my brother gets home co-op.

Edit: Tried again and got it with no problems ^_^

Last edited by scmark15; 08-09-2011 at 05:45 AM.
scmark15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:14 AM   #13
Wicelow

Wicelow's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Just got the same dumb bug.

Stupid Phase Commander got stuck in a wall, tried every way to end him for like 30 minutes... And then killed myself trying to shot a rocket at him.

Well, I'll try again later...

Wicelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:20 AM   #14
NeM2k2

NeM2k's Gamercard
This just happened to me too. Unfortunately I just blew up my own mech shooting rockets at the wall he was stuck in lol. I'll try knifing/sliding and see if that helps.

I did manage to get the Handle with Care achievement before this happened though so it wasn't a total waste.
NeM2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:29 AM   #15
thenutman69321

TheNutman69321's Gamercard
Glad I found this thread. Got the same glitch but slide kick didn't work for me. Crouching right below where he was stuck in the wall did though. Took me about 10 minutes slashing at a guy who got stuck that I had already damaged some before he got stuck. Then another spawned and the same glitch happened immediately on him. Took me about another 20 minutes slashing at him.
thenutman69321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:19 AM   #16
Past Gen Hero

Triad Thunder's Gamercard
The original poster deserves some kind of award for this thread, because I wouldn't have received this achievement without it.

I had the exact same thing happen to me as it did to Taco Bob, and it was only after I slid against the wall that he started lunging at me. Luckily, I had already taken down his shields, so it only took me a minute or so to beat him. After that, I finally beat Wave 20
and got the achievement.

Thanks again to Taco Bob for this thread and good luck to those who are still trying to get the achievement!
Old 07-07-2012, 03:16 AM   #17
WolfheartSpell

WolfheartSpell's Gamercard
Thanks for sharing your tactic with us, I'll give it a try!
WolfheartSpell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #18
chal3oye

I kept trying to gather crates in between rounds, going for the Handle with Care achievement. Either I wouldn't get back to the mech in time for the next round or one time a rocketeer was left from the previous round (don't ask me how) and shot me straight in the face as soon as I got out.

NS0-156 questions NS0-156 questions

Last edited by chal3oye; 12-24-2013 at 05:45 AM.
chal3oye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:52 AM   #19
MrScratch

WhiteHairNinja's Gamercard
Seems this glitch is somewhat common on solo mode hmmm, I suppose giving it a try wouldnt hurt since solo commute hasnt been the best for me.

CAN YOU FEEL THE SUNSHINE
?
MrScratch is offline   Reply With Quote