Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Mindjack
Subscribe    Donate

Old 01-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
Chuunks

Chuunks's Gamercard
Terrible game for what it's worth..

EDIT:: I'm going to take back some of the trash talking -- because now that I've actually played multiplayer a bit, it's actually pretty fun - and I believe the way the game is supposed to be played. I do agree with Zero Punctuation Man in that a game should stand alone on single player merit, but this game is - by definition - one to play hacking into others games and screwing with their minds (or aiding them). Therein lies the fun. The story is still crap FWIW.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
unedited original comments below
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow.

There's bad and there's bad. This is both.

Here's the rundown after 30 minutes play:
Controls - suck. Manually have to pick up ammo from the ground with 'X' and stand in the perfect spot to do so.
Weapons are lost at the end of every section (not level - just a section of gameplay).

Story? Is there one? I guess I'll just shoot stuff for now until I find out.

I'll be giving it another go later tonight and try the multiplayer, but this is really leaving a sour taste in my mouth. Hard not to compare it to games with responsive weapons like COD and feel like it's coming up short even for a shooter.

Last edited by Chuunks; 01-19-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Chuunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
ponulian

PONULIAN's Gamercard
Seriously...picking up objects with a button disturbs you. That gameplay mechanic has been around for like 15-20 years and it's still here to stay. You're hard to please hahahahahahahahaha. If you're comparing this to COD in any way you are now and forever labeled as a casual gamer. Good Luck with that normal non-gamer person.

Last edited by ponulian; 01-19-2011 at 10:03 AM.
ponulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
Grey Delta

Grey Delta's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Because, you know, being a casual gamer is a bad thing....?

Grey Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
HeavenSoldier

HeavenSoldier's Gamercard
Why would you compare it to CoD? Of course that game is going to respond better because its design team wanted to be able to boast about that. And on top of that, aside from being a shooter, they're entirely different.

The only thing I don't like from Mindjack so far, is the slow controls, and the lack of straight-up multiplayer like a deathmatch or something. Sure hacking someone's campaign is cool, but the segments are, for the most, incredibly short.

On controls, I'd say they're slow easy. Sure they 'feel' even worse when you can't fire your pistol like a smg, or having to stop to pick up ammo, but I think that helps balance things out. For example, if I could just run over ammo I wouldn't be worrying about having to leave cover to get some.

HeavenSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
Chuunks

Chuunks's Gamercard
Label away, I'm just providing an opinion. You're welcome to your own of course. I kept playing because I'm a glutton for punishment/achievements and I paid $60. It seemed that I was flying through content - I thought I would finish...

As you read this, keep in mind that I have only played through the campaign so far and haven't completed it. "Perhaps" this game is all about multiplayer?

As it stands, the most fun I've had is ranting about the game.

SPOILER ALERT is probably in line

-- PAUSE game. You may never do this, even if you are playing with no open slots completely by yourself disconnected. Action continues behind the pause, even turning off your controller wont stop it. If you get a phone call, you're going to be playing the level over again.

-- Boss fights are essentially huge mechs. Being that you drop all your weapons except a pistol at the door before you enter a new scene (not a level, just walk through a door) -- this creates a rinse/repeat scenario of "kill the guy in the big space suit who is holding the rocket launcher".

-- Without revealing more than the "Discover Fernandez's betrayal" achievement has listed, Fernandez turns from lame AI ally (who apparently wanted me to get the "Medic" achievement by repeatedly standing up and taking bullets) into one of the worst boss fights so far. I must have unloaded 40 clips directly into his face before finally fell to the ground - oh wait, jump to cut-scene where he apparently escaped. My thought is - great, I have to unload another 40 clips in him next time we fight ....

-- The boss fights also give NO CLUE as to what you're supposed to do. Label me a casual gamer, and as much as Madame Web's hints can get dull repeatedly droning on how you're supposed to take someone down, when it takes 30 minutes to take down one of these giant mechs because you don't shoot things in the proper order - yer doin' it wrong. Forgo the fact that I shouldn't be able to live and run back to the weapons rack 50 times in a boss fight for more missiles.

-- However, the biggest WTH? I've had with the game is the story. You end up following blindly behind some girl that reminds you of your wife, all in the attempt to uncover and thwart the use of this new technology "Mind Hacking" - the technique YOU have been using the *entire game*. Not that it's being put to more sinister usage. This might play directly into the story though, as every once in a while you get a quick little migraine before a boss fight.

-- Automatic saves in this game make no sense. It's usually good form before a boss fight that might take up to 30 minutes, to give you a save right before entering said battle instead of making the player suffer through 10 minutes of trash again if he accidentally takes a missile in the face. The corollary to this rule is that if the big guy falls and I trip on my shoelace exiting the area, don't make me suffer through it again. This game appears to adopt the idea that each scene/level, being *potentially* multi-player should be played from start to end.

SHAME ON YOU, Square Enix. For a company that has released some truly great games, this heaping pile of digital dung is a black stain on your reputation in my book.

I have 3 more campaign achievements to finish later tonight before I try my hand at multiplayer. I'm not looking for the terrible, I'm really trying to find my money's worth -- but had I known then what I know now, I would have left it in the $10 bargain bin for some other poor unsuspecting fool.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
Chuunks

Chuunks's Gamercard
In response to my comparing it to CoD -- I was actually meaning in reference to a gun actually having an effect when you shoot someone. I turned Fernandez's face to hamburger before dropped -- I understand that a guy with a huge helmet in a space suit might take more shots to the face than a normal fellow, but 4 clips? What about taking out a leg?

I understand they're different games - I'd have the same complaint about the first Gears of War, I hate unloading multiple clips into something and still having it run up to me and melee me down. But at least you could explain that away with them being aliens.

EDIT/ADD: I actually prefer the pistol, better control to focus on the headshots.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
Godchild1020

The best part of this game is playing online and having people join your game or you ruining theirs.
Godchild1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
Chuunks

Chuunks's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godchild1020 View Post
The best part of this game is playing online and having people join your game or you ruining theirs.
QFT. This game is garbage stand-alone -- I accidently left slots open when continuing, and had 4 people join me for the final fight.

I was pretty durn fun I have to admit. I'm actually looking forward to doing more online play tonight.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:21 AM   #9
Slaughter XBA
CAPITAL LETTERS

Cpt Slaugh7er's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Multiplayer is completely unfair, especially when you consider the fact that you can rebalance teams.
Slaughter XBA is offline   Reply With Quote