PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Alice: Madness Returns
Subscribe    Donate

Old 07-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #31
The Dutch Pinyo

The Dutch Pinyo's Gamercard
The original Alice is a bitch to play, the jumping is clunky and so are the rest of the controls. The water section, with the leaves, sucked!

And now my save game for the original Alice won't load. Does anyone else have this problem?
The Dutch Pinyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:23 AM   #32
XenoSamurai

XenoSamurai's Gamercard
Just finished the original Alice finally, and god that water section was horrible, those fish were a pain in the ass and the final boss was annoying as well, kept falling down trying to heal my self, good thing I can save as much as I want.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:24 PM   #33
Restricted-Access

Darth Pinhead's Gamercard
My main complaint, really, is that so many people in this forum are misspelling the name of one of the bosses in Alice. It is Jabberwock! It's not Jabberwocky, or Jabberwack, or Jabber the Hut... or any of these other retarded misspellings. Seriously... get some glasses or don't add a "y" to everything - what are you... 10 years old? I want my bally... geez!

Okay... the first game was good enough - irritating at times, but EVERY game has something wrong with it - right?! That said... if you play the sequel first [Madness Returns], and then play Alice... you WILL be disappointed!

Since "Alice" was the first game, I played it first. It looks a lot better than it did on the PC. I'm now playing "Madness Returns," and I'm really enjoying the game. However... I wanted to take a look at something in the original game, so I loaded-up one of my game saves in it... and, man... it is
terrible by comparison (to the sequel)!

I understand Alice is an old game (I have the original PC version, too), but even with the improved graphics... the new game plays a LOT better!! Just "try" and forget that you can't double-jump (or more), nor can you "float" across gaps! You get spoiled by what you can do in the sequel!!!
Restricted-Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:41 AM   #34
The Big Badd

the big badd's Gamercard
I reall ywant to like this game....but it is slow going
The Big Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #35
marionette kun

marionette kun's Gamercard
Neighslayer and all the glitchy achievements. >.>
marionette kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #36
sparkingconduit

SparkingConduit's Gamercard
Probably the blandest game I have ever played. And that's saying something given the premise. I could only take an hour before I realized I was so bored I was perusing the achievement list more than I was paying attention to the game. Stopped after that point.

Beyond the mountains, there are more mountains. Beyond those mountains, there will be more mountains. Either you climb them forever and never fear failure or you never bother trying. It's your choice.
sparkingconduit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #37
OmegaX0

OmegaX0's Gamercard
The first chapter is really the only one that's too long, the same mechanical scenery and the same song over and over just got very grating.
OmegaX0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #38
Tripe4Lunch

Tripe4Lunch's Gamercard
My only complaint would be the DLC(or purchased) achievements. I really wanted to get 1000 on this game but I rented it and didn't feel the last 100 GS points were worth the money.
Tripe4Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:42 AM   #39
Purge

Send a message via AIM to Purge Send a message via MSN to Purge Send a message via Skype™ to Purge

Davy Allan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Green Thumb - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Submit - Silver   SOTF Runner Up   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Grr.. Missed out on a bottle because of a poorly written part of the collectable guide. I'll have to change that.
It's like they're all still there. You feel it too, don't you?

Purge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:26 AM   #40
ikaruga

celestial purge's Gamercard
I've been gaming for 20 years and this is still one of the worst games I have ever played. Went back to it to finish up the collectible achievements. I had forgotten how mind-numbingly boring and tedious it is. Horrible, just plain horrible. Maybe I'll try again in another year.
ikaruga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #41
hahaha_mnky_boy

MnkyboyLAURENCE's Gamercard
Ahh... Anyone else pissed off that the end cinematic in the original Alice was NOT in HD? I was like WTF!!
Why re-make a game in HD right up until the end scence & switch back to SD... How f'in lazy can they be?!!

(It's not just this game, I'm so f'in sick of seeing games remade in HD - advertised as a HD re-make... only to find parts of the game NOT IN HD! E.g. Resident Evil 4 - 'Seperate Ways mission', Resident Evil: Code Veronica X - The whole f'in game!, Now ALICE!)
hahaha_mnky_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #42
abnormalmeee

abnormal me's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitnoid View Post
Can't really think of anything in this game to bitch about except for the original game and the list would be too long to contain in a post of this size. Thanks for listening...
i agree. the old game feels way to dated to even be considered fun. i have a hard time deciding if its acheivments are really worth the agony. did not age well at all.
abnormalmeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #43
MANDY

MANDY EN CAS's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by CressDX View Post
The only thing i can bitch about is the lenght of the game.. i wanted it to be longer
I loved it so much that i didnīt want it to end.
I hope to recieve the game today. Think I'm gonna like it as much as you do!

Completed:

3 Retail games | 9 Arcade games | 13 WP7 games
MANDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #44
Kisushima

Kisushima's Gamercard
American McGee's Alice is fucking awful..

Is what I would of said the past 4 days if you asked me. But today, it all clicked. I even found out you can save (my idiocy but they could of said). I suddenly just "got" it. And now I can finally see why people think this is a great game. Once I'm done with 1000G, I want to come backt o this to beat it on Nightmare. Then possibly try a speedrun or two. Fabulous, not finished it, but fabulous.

Kisushima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:07 AM   #45
YaSherif

YaSherif's Gamercard
Its and EA game they don't care about Bitching
Old 06-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #46
Srusht

srusht's Gamercard
So, in the middle of the screen its been a message sayin "use the umbrella to deflect enemy fire" since i got the damn thing. guess i have to live with it for the rest of the chapter
Srusht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #47
asdfen

i loved the 1st game way back on PC so decided to try this.

well the story and setting were mutilated imo or maybe I was younger and more forgiving back then. What I am left with is countless collectibles. yay ... errr I mean gay. Seriously this game has more collectibles than anything I've ever seen and they are so ever pointless. Also why do I have to break shit to get weapon upgrade materials instead of killing enemies... with combos no damage whatever. do well in combat get more upgrade stuff imo much better formula. Then we have levels that monotonously drag on for what seems like forever. There is only so much jumping and killing the same 4 enemy types I can before getting really bored.
Then there is that on normal the game is way too easy and on nightmare it becomes 1 hit KO from anything. If you are playing on nightmare during first play through the horrid checkpoint system is strongly felt. For example the checkpoint can be before 2-3 minutes of platforming just so I can redo 1 difficult fight over and over again ... on more than one occasion just in the 1st level... Then there are glitches. I quit for a while and then resumed the game just to find out that my nightmare magically became normal screwing me out of achievements. Not a big deal but annoying non the less.

This is the 3rd time I am trying to play this game in 6 months and am just not able to go past first few levels I think I am going to just delete it and forget about it. That or just speed run it.
asdfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #48
TWSS OWNZ U

TWSS OWNZ U's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by GENWAKU View Post
^ Same. I have to say I don't have much to bitch about concerning Madness Returns. It was honestly thrilling to play and I enjoyed every minute of it, even hunting for collectibles and running through it on nightmare difficulty. All of the achievements were awesome, too. A nice mixture of challenging and simple.

A lot of people have already bitched about the original game, but the one thing to frustrate me most with that one, aside from how clunky the combat was, was the underwater sequences. Oh, boy. And did it ever piss me off finally managing to master some platforming/puzzle piece that required absolute timing and precision, then being blown off by one of those mouth breathing jerks.

I think the original is a "hate it or love it" type of game and at some parts it was just downright terrible and infuriating, but the last couple of boss battles, the characters, the story and the music really are amazing. Shame about the platforming and combat. I'm glad I finally got it done.
I could not think of anything to say seeing as this is exactly what i think and feel.
TWSS OWNZ U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #49
TWSS OWNZ U

TWSS OWNZ U's Gamercard
the one other thing i can think of that i want to mention about this game is that it feels like it is a knock-off of god of war. the gameplay wasn't as sooth as i wished or hoped it would be.
TWSS OWNZ U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:31 AM   #50
Madame Kennedy

makeSHIFTxNine's Gamercard
Aside from some minor quirks, such as a couple of the levels (steampunk one included) dragging on way too long and the levels getting too "redundant"/uncreative to compensate for its linear gameplay, I still found the game enjoyable, especially in my first playthrough. The Card Castle level for instance was quite mesmerizing at times. I'm probably a little biased since Alice is my favorite fairytale and I love how McGee portrays it far more accurately than Disney. I loved the alternate costumes as well, and how each had its own pros and cons. And I especially loved playing BIG!Alice. X)

Through the words of a friend of mine, however, who has been playing it on the PC, she wasn't so impressed. Apparently the controls on the PC are absurdly frustrating and she was really disappointed in the remastering of Cheshire, her favorite character. She thought he was too deadpan and much of his dialogue was too recycled.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #51
XperimntNterror

XperimntNterror's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWSS OWNZ U View Post
the one other thing i can think of that i want to mention about this game is that it feels like it is a knock-off of god of war. the gameplay wasn't as sooth as i wished or hoped it would be.
I'd say the combat mechanics are closer to the Legend of Zelda series (beginning with Ocarina of Time). The combat feels absolutely nothing like playing God of War (Alice doesn't utilize a combo-intensive mechanic for fights; it usess an "evade, block, slash" mechanic).

Thanks to V1ZIONZxBLOOD for the really cool sig!
XperimntNterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #52
ActionTansill

Action Tansill's Gamercard
i really don't like the fact that you are forced to play 2 full games just to get 1 games worth of achievement points
ActionTansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #53
HellMaid

xHellMaid777x's Gamercard
I personally love Madness Returns. However, some of the problems I had were with the jumping aspect and distances. Often times I would get frustrated.

Also, some chapters seem INCREDIBLY long and can drag on a bit. This to me though..i son egame I can't play too long or I get a little bored. D:
HellMaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #54
CyberPunch83

CyberPunch83's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
The game dragged in sections, and going from Madness Returns to original Alice was quite a jarring shift. Took quite a bit of getting used to, and even then the fact that it was a 10-year-old PC game showed through. I wanted to like the game more than I did, but it just wasn't possible.

50k achieved 10/10/2011
100k achieved 7/3/2014
Achievement: Wheelie God (20G) - Ride to Hell: Retribution

GTA Online Rank (9/23/2014) 114

Games 100%: 92
Latest: Deadpool

Working on:
World of Tanks (560/700)
Hardwood Backgammon (110/200)
Destiny (starting soon)
CyberPunch83 is offline   Reply With Quote