PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Windows Phone Games (WP7 and WP8) > Strategy > Beards & Beaks
Subscribe    Donate

Old 07-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
YIP YOO

YIP YOO's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Silver
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Achievement Guide & Road Map

Roadmap.

Overview.

- Estimated achievement difficulty: 2/10
- Offline: 20/20 (200)
- Online: 0
- Approximate amount of time to 200 : 2-6 Hours
- Minimum number of playthroughs required: 1 (With level replays)
- Missable achievements: 0 (Replay levels)
- Glitched achievements: None
- Cheats disable achievements: No cheats known
- Difficulty affect achievements: No difficulty settings

Introduction.

Welcome to my Achievement Guide & Road Map to achieving 200 on Beards & Beaks.
The game is currently priced at £2.49 / $2.99
Please enjoy the guide and I hope this helps you complete the game.
There is no copyright on this guide but if you do re-post elsewhere please credit me. =D

Special Thanks to Microsoft Game Studios for creating this game, Xbox360Achievements for hosting this guide also lemonlacerater, italianstallion and Terrin for contributing to the guide.

Pretty simple game, most achievements unlock without having to think too hard about them but I've listed the achievements in order that I unlocked them listing the first available level to unlock each achievement.

*** READ BEFORE PLAYING - YOU NOW NEED TO KEEP YOUR FREE BUNDLE PACK TO UNLOCK Mushroom-Fueled Excess ACHIEVEMENT OR YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR A BUNDLE ***

Mushroom Power Bar Recharge Trick. PATCHED NO LONGER WORKS

You do not need to buy mushroom bundles from the marketplace, you can recharge your mushroom power bar any time you wish by following this simple process.

In game choose a level and then press the windows button to take you back to the main menu.

Go to your settings and turn off auto date then change the date to the next day.

Now keep pressing the back button until you get back to the game and tap resume, your mushroom power bar will now be full.

You can do this as many times as you like just keep increasing the date, when your finished set your date back to auto.

Special thanks and credit to lemonlacerater and italianstallion for this trick.

Mushroom Powers.

Your 1st bundle is free and can be found by tapping the purple mushroom bar in the bottom left of the screen when playing a level.

Mushroom bundles recharge over time. (a couple of hours per mushroom)
You can buy more bundles for M$ points.

1 = 40 M$ / 5 = 120 M$ / 20 = 320 M$ / 50 = 480 M$

The cost from your mushroom power bar and mushroom powers you can use are...
(Your mushroom power bar can hold 10 max purple mushrooms when full, not including bundles)

(3 mushrooms) Purple meteorite - A meteorite (boulder), tap the purple icon then tap where you want it to hit.

(2 mushrooms) Red arrow - Super jump, tap the red icon then tap a gnome and he will jump across the screen.

(2 mushrooms) Blue cyclone - Cyclone to clear a path, tap the blue icon then blow on the screen to unleash.

(4 mushrooms) Orange magnet - Magnet which attracts jewels, tap the orange icon then tap where you want the jewels to be attracted to.

DLC / New Content.

More levels are available to buy from the main menu in the bottom right hand corner under New Content.

The first DLC map pack unlocks Level 3 - Forest Map is free.
The second DLC map pack unlocks level 4 - Mountain Map is 80 M$ points.
The third DLC map pack unlocks level 5 - Cave Map is 80 M$ points.

Note you do not need to buy any DLC to unlock achievements at this point.

For more information on the DLC see this article by eastx over at WPCentral.

Leaderboards.

You can track most of the things you do in the game via the leaderboards (Crows killed, Treasures captured etc)

Gnomes.

Red hat gnome - Standard gnome no special attributes, use him to collect jewels as he is bad in fights.

Brown gnome - Has a long distance catapult attack, place in a mushroom garrison to be most effective.

Blue gnome - Strong fighter, use him to kill crows fast.

White gnome - Healer, he can heal gnomes during and after fights.

Crows.

Green crow - Standard crow no special attributes but can be stronger than a red hat gnome in a 1 on 1 fight.

Blue crow - Has a long distance throw attack, runs away when attacked so target him with brown gnomes. Blue crows also use the mushroom garrison so attack him to knock him off.

Red crow - Strong fighter, kill him with multiple gnomes preferably blue.

Game review

Nice simple little game, a little short and paying for more maps is wrong. I thought the cyclone power was a nice addition where you have to blow on the screen to activate. Nice graphics and quirky music, not a must buy but certainly worth £2.49. I rate the game 7/10. Would have been higher if you did not have to pay for maps which should have been in the game anyway. Microsoft also missed a trick not including an achievement for all levels 3 gnome rating.

Last edited by YIP YOO; 01-11-2012 at 07:14 PM.
YIP YOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
YIP YOO

YIP YOO's Gamercard

Achievement Guide.

Putting Hair on Your Chin 20
Complete the first level of Gnomeville.

Level 1-1 ~ Collect all the jewels to complete the level.

Solo Performance 5
Complete a multi-gnome level by fielding only 1 gnome.

Level 1-2 ~ Use only one gnome to collect all the jewels, do not worry about the crow he will not kill your gnome.

The Shiny Things Are Mine! 10
Complete the third level of Gnomeville.

Level 1-3 ~ You can ignore the crows and collect 4 jewels to complete the level.

Pint-sized Hercules 5
Capture a heavy treasure using only 1 gnome without dropping or assisting.

Level 1-4 ~ As soon as the level starts use only 1 gnome to collect a big jewel.

It's Too Quiet 5
On any map with more than 6 crows, sideline all crows at the same time.

Level 1-5 ~ Do not worry about the jewels, use your gnomes as a pack to kill all the crows that spawn out of the house.

Unlocked when all the crows are sidelined. (There are no crows alive on screen.)

Brothers in Arms 5
Complete a multi-type level with only 1 type of gnome.

Level 1-6 ~ Use only the (brown) catapult gnomes and collect all the jewels.

Team Effort 10
Use at least 4 gnomes to collect a heavy treasure.

Level 1-6 ~ As soon as the level starts use all 4 gnomes to collect a big jewel.

Divine Intervention 10
Use a mushroom power for the first time.

Level 1-7 ~ Tap the purple icon and then tap on a crow to launch a meteor.

Down to the Wire 5
Finish a base defense level with your bases having less than 10% health remaining.

Level 1-14 ~ Let the crows attack your base (tree trunk with 3 red dots) and damage it down to 1 red dot then count around 10 hits and it should be below 10%.

Now protect the base until the timer out, may take a few tries to get under 10% as it is difficult to judge.

Pull! 5
Hurl 5 or more crows with 1 boulder.

Level 1-15 ~ Do not send out any gnomes, wait until 5 or 6 crows appear then send out a gnome and all the crows will come after him.

Let the crows group together around your gnome and tap the purple icon mushroom power then tap on the group of crows. Credit to lemonlacerater.

Get off Our Lawn! 20
Complete the Gnomeville levels.

Level 1-15 ~ Rush the crows base (house with 3 blue dots) with all your gnomes ignoring any crows and destroy it.

A Murder of a Murder 10
Defeat 5 crows in less than 5 seconds.

Level 2-2 ~ Place your (brown) catapult gnome in the mushroom garrison and use the other 4 gnomes as a pack to take out the (green) crows.

The crows spawn out of their base quite quick and 4 gnomes will kill a crow fast.

It's Not Called a Bird Paddle 5
Hurl 5 crows into water.

Level 2-5 ~ Use the blue gnomes in a pack and move them up near the crows base, they should knock the crows into the water.

May take a few replays.

Mushroom-Fueled Excess 10
Win a level using every mushroom power.

Use all the mushroom powers on one level, you need 11 mushrooms to unlock this achievement but you only have 10 max on you power bar.

If you do not still have the free mushroom bundle then you will need to buy one from the marketplace.

Once you have a full mushroom bar load level 2-8.

Use your purple icon on the crow, use the red icon on one of you gnomes and use the blue icon.

Now you will not have enough mushroom power to use the last orange icon.

Activate your mushroom bundle to refill your mushroom power.

Use the orange icon placing the magnet on you base and send out your gnomes to pick up the jewels, once you complete the level the achievement will unlock.

Last edited by YIP YOO; 01-11-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
YIP YOO

YIP YOO's Gamercard

Goaltending 5
Knock 10 treasures out of crow possession right in front of their base.

When a crow is about to steal a jewel (in front of their base) knock the jewel out of his grip 10 times.

Level 2-10 ~ Your blue gnomes will knock the jewels out of the grip of crows, this level is quick and easy to replay.

Use your blue gnomes as a pack and kill all the crows on the way up to the crow carrying the big jewel.

Attack the crow with carrying the big jewel and he will drop it, by the time you reach the crow carring the jewel he should be close enough to the crow base for this to register for the achievement.

Also once he drops the jewel if you back away the crows will pick up the jewel again, so you should be able to register 2 or 3 drops per replay of level.

Finish the level and repeat, if you find this achievement is not unlocking then let the crows get a little closer to their base with the jewel before attacking them.

Credit to Terrin.

Meadow Masters 20
Complete the Meadow levels.

Complete level 2-15 ~ Defeat the boss, keep your gnomes out of the way of boss and hit him in his back or when his sword gets stuck in the ground.

Eviction Notice 10
Eject 20 enemies from garrisons.

Level 3-2 is a good place to unlock this achievement, move your blue gnomes up to the top of the map and the blue crows will jump on the garrison mushrooms.

Attack them to knock them off then move your gnomes back up the map and repeat.

Best done on one level so ignore the jewels or it will end the level before you eject 20.

Savior of Shiny Things 15
You've captured more than 100 treasures.

You should unlock this before finishing the first map (Level 1-15) if not it will unlock over time, just keep collecting jewels.

You can track in leaderboards.

Flickmaster 10
Perform more than 1,000 flicks.

You should unlock this before finishing the first map (Level 1-15) if not it will unlock over time, just keep moving your gnomes.

Feather Collector 15
Defeat 100 crows.

Unlocks over time, keep killing crows.

Check out my WP7 Guides for
Plants vs. Zombies - Beards & Beaks - Tentacles - Ion-Ball EX - Orbital - MonstaFish!

Last edited by YIP YOO; 07-24-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
eastx

Send a message via AIM to eastx

eastx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   1,000 Posts
Great guide so far!

Can you please go into how mushroom powers work? Are they on some kind of timer? Why is Microsoft selling mushrooms? It all makes my head spin due to the game's lack of help text.
Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
lemonlacerater

Lemon Lacerater's Gamercard
Very good roadmap. I do see that you are missing an achievement from the guide. The achievement is pull!, and it is easiest to unlock on level 1-15. Just wait and don't send any gnomes out, then when there are 5 crows out just huddle them together and use the meteor.

Great guide
Old 07-14-2011, 12:10 AM   #6
Terrin

terrin's Gamercard
For goaltending in lvl 2-10 just go kill the guy carrying at the start beat lvl rinse and repeat and it unlocks it does not need to be I'n one level
Terrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:51 AM   #7
McDurbin

llDurbinll's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
Great guide so far!

Can you please go into how mushroom powers work? Are they on some kind of timer? Why is Microsoft selling mushrooms? It all makes my head spin due to the game's lack of help text.
It's like a special power ability. Instead of you being able to build it back up over time micro$oft is charging ms points to refill the bar. Had I known this I would have went for the "Mushroom fueled-excess" and "pull" before using up the free pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrin View Post
For goaltending in lvl 2-10 just go kill the guy carrying at the start beat lvl rinse and repeat and it unlocks it does not need to be I'n one level
Just an FYI, you don't have to beat the level. You can just knock the gem out of hands of the first guy then just let the crows carry off the rest of the gems.

Extremely Serious
Check out my video guide for South Park:Tenorman's Revenge. Gold Time and collectibles,Click Here

Last edited by McDurbin; 07-14-2011 at 01:21 AM.
McDurbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:50 AM   #8
Verkunder

Verkunder's Gamercard
Does this work with Eviction Notice? I've knocked a bunch off the platform, but didn't realize it was twenty. Have to be in the same level?
Verkunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:07 AM   #9
montrossity

Send a message via AIM to montrossity

montrossity's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   Submit - Bronze
Are you sure that 8-15 hours is accurate. I know a few people who beat it under 4....

Ultramarathoner.
Swim, bike, run.
montrossity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:26 AM   #10
McDurbin

llDurbinll's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrossity View Post
Are you sure that 8-15 hours is accurate. I know a few people who beat it under 4....
Well if you use a guide from the beginning then 4 or under sounds right. I just played it for fun then went back and cleaned up the random achievements. Took me about 5 hours.

Extremely Serious
Check out my video guide for South Park:Tenorman's Revenge. Gold Time and collectibles,Click Here
Old 07-14-2011, 03:13 AM   #11
Mightymango

Send a message via MSN to Mightymango

MightyMango's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Staff Club - Mightymango   1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Yeah 8-15 seems a bit long. Seems to be an under 4 hour game

^^ Updated 9.26.11

FORUM RULES
Read and Follow them

Mightymango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:38 AM   #12
SlyPooBiscuit

SlyPooBiscuit's Gamercard
It's Too Quiet 5
On any map with more than 6 crows, sideline all crows at the same time.

Level 1-5 ~ Donít worry about the jewels, use your gnomes to kill all the crows that come out the house.

I have absolutely no idea what this means. Sideline is supposed to mean kill right? I've killed 10+ in 1-5, nothing happens. What do you mean by the "same time"???? Within the same microsecond? Confusing.
SlyPooBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:32 AM   #13
TrishTheDish

Becky Black Ops's Gamercard

Does anyone know can you unlock achievements offline in this one, and then upload them when you re-enter an area where you have online access?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #14
Pteppic

Pteppic42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Quote:
Originally Posted by montrossity View Post
You can earn all achievements in under 3 hours even without a guide. With guide in about 1-2 hours
Old 07-14-2011, 08:24 AM   #15
neeker75

neeker75's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
I played this for about half an hour and am on 16 achievements, 160G. And I just finished Level 1-15.
neeker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #16
master_shake_350

Send a message via MSN to master_shake_350 Send a message via Skype™ to master_shake_350

a box of fish's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishTheDish View Post
Does anyone know can you unlock achievements offline in this one, and then upload them when you re-enter an area where you have online access?
Yep, I first started playing this at home (internet acess) and then on the bus (no internet acess) and unlocked 3 or 4 achievements.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #17
TrishTheDish

Quote:
Originally Posted by master_shake_350 View Post
Yep, I first started playing this at home (internet acess) and then on the bus (no internet acess) and unlocked 3 or 4 achievements.
Cheers for that! Buying this tomorrow then!
Old 07-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #18
GDMFS0AB

Mad Hectic's Gamercard
Sorry to be picky, but the game is £2.49 for UK.

I have only corrected this for you, as you have taken good care in your guide to be correct. So the price should be too, right?

Good guide for a good game.

EDIT: I also just got the "pull" achievement at the same time as "a murder of a murder".

You might want to update the guide. I followed your method for the pull achievement, obviously in the process killing 5+ crows

Last edited by GDMFS0AB; 07-14-2011 at 03:13 PM.
GDMFS0AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:48 PM   #19
italianstallion

stallion83's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Word of Mouth   Gamerscore League Season 4 Winner   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIP YOO View Post

Mushroom-Fueled Excess 10
Win a level using every mushroom power.

Level 2-8 onwards ~ Use all the mushroom power icons in the bottom right of the screen.

Use all 4 mushroom powers on 1 level. You need to have a full mushroom power bar, (10 purple mushrooms) and complete the level.

I will confirm once the freaking bar fills up in 24 hours, tried with 9 and needed 10.
It takes 11 purple mushrooms to pull this off.

If you need a refill of the original 10 mushrooms you are given just change your phone settings to a day forward, load up the game and select any level, go back and change your date and time settings back to auto.

If you use the free mushroom bundle before getting this you WILL have to pay 40MSP points for this achievement.

Check the Newest Episode of the Podcast Here
FaceBook |Twitter | YouTube
1 Million Gamerscore |
italianstallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:56 PM   #20
McDurbin

llDurbinll's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianstallion View Post
It takes 11 purple mushrooms to pull this off.

If you need a refill of the original 10 mushrooms you are given just change your phone settings to a day forward, load up the game and select any level, go back and change your date and time settings back to auto.

If you use the free mushroom bundle before getting this you WILL have to pay 40MSP points for this achievement.
Are you serious? I wish I knew you could change the day on your phone to trick the game into refilling the mushroom bar. I spent 80points to finish this off as I used the free pack before I went to clean up the missing achievements.

Extremely Serious
Old 07-15-2011, 12:11 AM   #21
italianstallion

stallion83's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Word of Mouth   Gamerscore League Season 4 Winner   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDurbin View Post
Are you serious? I wish I knew you could change the day on your phone to trick the game into refilling the mushroom bar. I spent 80points to finish this off as I used the free pack before I went to clean up the missing achievements.
Yep, but only the initial 10. You won't get any extra bundles if you change it 50 days in advance or whatever.

The fact that it takes 11 for that achievement really rubs me the wrong way. I HAD to pay for the content to get the 200. Getting to the point where you have to pay to get all the initial achievements is a no no in my book.

Don't get the free bundle until you know what you are doing. That way you wont have to spend an extra cent.

Check the Newest Episode of the Podcast Here
FaceBook |Twitter | YouTube
1 Million Gamerscore |
italianstallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:27 AM   #22
McDurbin

llDurbinll's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianstallion View Post
Yep, but only the initial 10. You won't get any extra bundles if you change it 50 days in advance or whatever.

The fact that it takes 11 for that achievement really rubs me the wrong way. I HAD to pay for the content to get the 200. Getting to the point where you have to pay to get all the initial achievements is a no no in my book.

Don't get the free bundle until you know what you are doing. That way you wont have to spend an extra cent.
This game reminded me of RE 5 where they charged to "add" multiplayer when it was already in the game and you were just paying to unlock it.

Extremely Serious
Old 07-15-2011, 12:36 AM   #23
dnodavila

NoisySighlence's Gamercard
Anybody having trouble with signing into xbox live through this game? Playing at my house with wifi and still no luck. Need to buy mushrooms for the last achievement
Old 07-15-2011, 12:55 AM   #24
Hoffer

Hoffer's Gamercard
Just got the last achievement. Had to spend some MS points on mushrooms to get the mushroom fueled achievement.
Hoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:15 AM   #25
Graivul

Heroic Bishop's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Very helpful guide thanks, some tedious achievements but all in all a very good game!

Graivul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:12 AM   #26
lemonlacerater

alright so this is the way i got the mushroom fueled excess achievement.i switched the date to one day ahead like Itallionstallion shared with us above, but instead of paying for more mushrooms i just hit the home button, switched the date one more day ahead, and then used the back button to get into the game and resumed with 10 more mushrooms. no need to buy more mushrooms hope this helps.

btw please people do not buy the mushrooms
Old 07-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #27
hairyfingernail

hairyfingernail's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Thanks for a great Road Map and Guide YIP YOO, great work.

Happy Gaming.
hairyfingernail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:30 AM   #28
TrishTheDish

I really want to thank you for this great guide and ESPECIALLY a thanks to everyone for working together to find a way to NOT have to buy the rubbish Mushroom powerups!
Old 07-17-2011, 05:26 AM   #29
lemonlacerater

If you do not switch the date back to the current day while doing the mushroom trick, you will still unlock the achievement, it just will not add the points until the date you switched it to. I can confirm because it happened to me, and just updated on my gamercard.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #30
xboxbuff

Xbox Sonic's Gamercard
thanks you op and other people who contributed to this guide. finally 200G/200G .
xboxbuff is offline   Reply With Quote