Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Japanese Games (NTSC-J) > Action > Catherine
Subscribe    Donate

Old 07-18-2011, 12:45 AM   #1
Cloud1992

x410xDragon's Gamercard
Easy 1000 ?

I played the demo, and I have to say I liked it. But, I'm curious if the retail game would be an easy enjoyable 1000 ? Any thoughts ?

PS: The puzzles were kinda annoying, but they got me to thinking!
Plus, every time I got to the "Nightmare" world. I wanted to finish it to see the real world! :P
Cloud1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:50 AM   #2
Shinobi273
Ninja Mod MKII

Shinobi273's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - AOS Puck   Staff Club - Shinobi273   5,000 Posts   Staff - Moderator   Submit - Silver   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
The game is supposed to be incredibly difficult to 1000. That is the rumor at least. Gold might be impossible.
Shinobi273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:21 AM   #3
The Pants Party
You're Not Invited

Za Pantsupati's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Diamond   Staff - Super Moderator   Micro Guide - Platinum   15,000 Posts   Staff Club - Never Final   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - The Pants Party   Staff Club - AOS Puck   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   Referrals - Gold
Total Awards: 20 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobi273 View Post
The game is supposed to be incredibly difficult to 1000. That is the rumor at least. Gold might be impossible.
To be fair, they released a patch for the Japanese version that lowered the difficulty and have confirmed that the US release would be even easier than that.

But, it will still be quite difficult.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
The Pants Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:27 AM   #4
Fullmetalx07

fullmetalx07's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pants Party View Post
To be fair, they released a patch for the Japanese version that lowered the difficulty and have confirmed that the US release would be even easier than that.

But, it will still be quite difficult.
Make the Game even easier for the U.S. Damn, I wish they would put in a option to play the Original Japanese Difficulty, because I want to see how Hard it is. It would be nice personal achievement if I can complete it.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:12 AM   #5
infrenis

infrenis's Gamercard
I always take it personally when they lower the difficulty for the American audience, because the targeted audience for this game is probably going to be the groups of people who would enjoy that sort of challenge! There's less joy in victory when you know your opponent changed the game because he thought you wouldn't be up to the challenge!
infrenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:53 AM   #6
ElusiveOne96

elusiveone96's Gamercard
The truth is hardcore gamers who really like a very difficult challenge are only a tiny minority of players. Making a game too hard alienates the majority of players and business-wise that's never a good decision if you want your customers to keep purchasing your titles.

If the Japanese market was complaining about the difficulty level, it's probably not a bad thing to include an easier mode in subsequent releases. Also keep in mind they're leaving the hard mode in, just adding a new easier one on top of the existing modes (from what I understand anyway).

Personally, I like a decent challenge, but I'm into gaming for the fun of it mostly (the stories, the gameplay, the visuals, etc). I don't much care for overly difficult segments, in fact I usually just find them infuriating.

Another example would be my girlfriend: she'd probably enjoy the story and characters, even the puzzles without the action element, but as soon as you put in too much stress and quick reaction times she'll start to dislike it. I think that making an easier mode really allows to reach a broader audience...
ElusiveOne96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
TheGoldenReaper

Send a message via AIM to TheGoldenReaper

xWAx Nomsters's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I heard the easy difficulty on this game was comparable to that of an average game's hard difficulty.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
Lil Keezy

Send a message via AIM to Lil Keezy

Li1 K33zy's Gamercard
Even on easy I have a gut feeling this game is going to ramp up the difficulty pretty fast. But regardless of difficultly, no I don't think it will be an easy 1000. There is a 100 point one that requires you to unlock all 8 of the games endings.
Lil Keezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
Opiate42

Location: Canada, likely stuck in a snowdrift...with no shovel

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Keezy View Post
Even on easy I have a gut feeling this game is going to ramp up the difficulty pretty fast. But regardless of difficultly, no I don't think it will be an easy 1000. There is a 100 point one that requires you to unlock all 8 of the games endings.
Agreed. They may make the Easy difficulty easier, but I can only imagine the Hard difficulty still being mind-melting. They should add a 4th difficulty for the traditionalists: Japanese Sadist Version. Basically the original Hard difficulty.

If I get my hands on this game, I think I may do a couple of the endings, but 8!?!? Damn. Grinding out the 4 endings for Nier was torture enough.

Wonder what the "a life without regrets" ending means? Vince goes and breaks up with both of them or the girls reconcile, make up and all three go menage a trois?

"Hit it"

Last edited by Opiate42; 07-18-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Opiate42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:08 AM   #10
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullmetalx07 View Post
Make the Game even easier for the U.S. Damn, I wish they would put in a option to play the Original Japanese Difficulty, because I want to see how Hard it is. It would be nice personal achievement if I can complete it.

Honestly I don't know much about what they are doing but from what I was lead to believe they are leaving all the difficulties exactly as they were. They are just adding a new difficulty that is "below" easy. Again, I don't know if that is actually what they are doing that is just what I heard.

To the OP: If it has "Complete this game on X difficulty" achievements all the way up to the toughest difficulty this will be anything but an easy 1000 from what everyone says. Japanese gamers are complaining about how hard the easy and normal modes are and Japanese gamers are known to play tougher games/difficulties then Western gamers.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Awesome pic provided by Dirty130
bigbear2face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:49 PM   #11
KeepEmRolling

KeepEmRolling's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear2face View Post
Honestly I don't know much about what they are doing but from what I was lead to believe they are leaving all the difficulties exactly as they were. They are just adding a new difficulty that is "below" easy. Again, I don't know if that is actually what they are doing that is just what I heard.

To the OP: If it has "Complete this game on X difficulty" achievements all the way up to the toughest difficulty this will be anything but an easy 1000 from what everyone says. Japanese gamers are complaining about how hard the easy and normal modes are and Japanese gamers are known to play tougher games/difficulties then Western gamers.
That was what I thought as well. They just added the easier difficulty, and the others are still in the game. I have to say, after playing the Japanese demo, this game on the hardest difficulty will be a monster.
KeepEmRolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:32 AM   #12
guillermo316

Fantasychampion's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
No it probably won't be easy or hard. It will be impossible .

ScOoP!

guillermo316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #13
MrVan77

mr van77's Gamercard
I played the demo last night and enjoyed it, but I think I'll give the retail version a try on PS3 first so I can get an idea of how hard it is.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #14
xMANNY FRE5Hx

xMANNY FRE5Hx's Gamercard
bring it on!
Old 07-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #15
osakamitsu

osakamitsu's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
well gamespots review has a con for: Intimidating difficulty.

source: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/acti...%3Bread-review
osakamitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:39 AM   #16
DoomKvlt

carnalwarharlot's Gamercard
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the NA achievements are different from the Japanese.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #17
saruthelemur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomKvlt View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the NA achievements are different from the Japanese.
Nope, they're exactly the same....really really hard.
saruthelemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #18
TakahashiDemon

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!   1,000 Posts
Theres a patch to make it easier, I played the Japanese demo, and found it easy enough, but that was like only the first few stages, and it took me awhile to figure out how to move the blocks, I was pushing them instead of pulling them towards, made it difficult/impossible to get to the door at the top as you're messing up the blocks at the top that can't be moved (ones with faces on them).

But no, I dont think it'll be an easy 1000, might be easy, but it'll be long as you have to play through the game several times for all the endings or just play a few times and make different saves at points, I would try to full 1000 this game though, I'm dreading the Hard Mode though.. makes towers taller etc, bosses probably will be impossible too.

TakahashiDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #19
Prime8

I be terrible's Gamercard
Getting all gold medals on Hard mode will probably be the deal-breaker on whether or not you can 1000 it.

Reached 100K on 1/2/14
Achievement: Killer Instinct - Jago Apprentice for 20 GS

Prime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #20
TakahashiDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime8 View Post
Getting all gold medals on Hard mode will probably be the deal-breaker on whether or not you can 1000 it.
Yup, I can see those being maybe the only 2 I have remaining.. getting gold on Normal might be hard enough, since the demo (Japanese one) only lets us play on Easy, so theres no real way of telling actually how hard this game is.. until its out, which be tomorrow in US I guess?

Old 07-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #21
nia333

StormyC93's Gamercard
I beat the Demo on Easy and thought it was way to easy. But it was only a demo so its bound to be alot harder.
nia333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #22
Verdinial
Banned User

TF x Redemption's Gamercard
Can't wait until this becomes avalible where I am
Verdinial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:26 AM   #23
FeLizP
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to FeLizP Send a message via Yahoo to FeLizP Send a message via Skype™ to FeLizP

FeLizP's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze
You would have to be outside your mind to think this game would be an easy 1000. As many have already brought out in this thread, even the Japanese have complained on the level of difficulty for the games puzzles and they're gaming gods! Thankfully it has been patched making the Hard mode puzzle challenges more feasible. Not sure if anyone has played Catherine yet but the puzzles get much harder, longer, and the block styles change. There are slippery ice blocks and even some with bombs and spikes on them. It's no doubt a 10/10 difficulty game as of now.

Outside of that there is Babel mode where the blocks drop randomly, they may also prove testing since there are a few achievements related to that. Everything else is story/side quest/ random task-related so only like 3 or 4 achievements will truly be difficult.

Achievement guide will be posted in a few, just got to add some finishing touches to it.
FeLizP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:22 AM   #24
Jordbrett

jordbrett84's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
This game is hard as hell. I'm stuck on lvl 4 currently.

Jordbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:24 AM   #25
FeLizP
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to FeLizP Send a message via Yahoo to FeLizP Send a message via Skype™ to FeLizP

FeLizP's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordbrett View Post
This game is hard as hell. I'm stuck on lvl 4 currently.
lol I tried to tell you guys. It's going to take experience and patience. The Babel Stages take up to 20min to complete each! It's difficult but not impossible. The Achievement Guide & Roadmap is up now.
FeLizP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #26
Jordbrett

jordbrett84's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeLizP View Post
lol I tried to tell you guys. It's going to take experience and patience. The Babel Stages take up to 20min to complete each! It's difficult but not impossible. The Achievement Guide & Roadmap is up now.
If you play on your own it's difficult until you see all the little tricks but if you use the walkthrough it's substantially easier. I'm enjoying the game so far though.

Jordbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:27 PM   #27
KingPopadopalus

KingPopadopalus's Gamercard
Easy? Far from it, I am currently playign through normal and its giving me trouble, hell the first level of hard took me 10 trys just for the last part alone. The fact that you have to gold all the hard difficultys to get 1000 will make this an honorable 1000 to get. This is not for the faint of heart.
KingPopadopalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #28
TakahashiDemon

Nothing wrong with a challenge people, it is only 9 stages long anyways from what I heard, so for yous at stage 4, thats half way through the game already, unless bosses aren't counted into those 9 stages.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #29
jae200

soulstlkr2's Gamercard
I'm on day 2, the torture chamber I believe on Easy. I remember one of the sheep telling me not to panic and I think thats good advice.. The controls can be a little finicky at times and I've only managed to get 2 gold prizes on easy (the first 2 levels). The others were silver and 1 bronze. Doesn't look like its going to be easy but I'm sure there will be videos eventually to help if needed. Fun game though.
jae200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #30
TakeoutMage

TakeoutMage209's Gamercard
NOT easy!!!

dont judge by the demo! even on EASY it gets harder after just a few stage.
some levels will have u really thinking..and scream.

strongly suggest going at easy first to get a feel of the game, how different blocks works and learn all the different techniques.

getting all gold on hard?? im going on normal at the moment... got some skills from easy, but i fear hard..

so DONT expect an easy 1000

awesome game and story tho
TakeoutMage is offline   Reply With Quote