Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Xbox 360
Subscribe    Donate

Old 07-19-2011, 04:05 AM   #1
kaitco

Kaitco's Gamercard
Best games for a newbie

I've only had an Xbox for a year and much of that time has been spent playing Rock Band and Lego games. I never played a lot of games as a kid, I've always been awful at FPS games and I hate games with zombies, so I always figured that Lego and rhythm games (and a few others) were always going to be the best that I could do.

I recently saw Halo: Reach was available as a demo, so I tried it and found that after running around a little, I was getting the hang of the FPS and that the game looked fun. Before I shell out the cash for it, though, I'm wondering if Reach is a game that I should get into as a gaming newbie and, if not, what other games would be better to expand my "gaming horizons"?

I haven't got a Gold account, so online/multiplayer is not going to be a major sell for me and I really don't like games with zombies or anything designed to be scary.

Any thoughts? (Please also point me to any recent threads if this has been discussed ad nauseum.)
kaitco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:10 AM   #2
veece16

Chilled Eclipse's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I read that you didn't like scary games or FPS, but I think you would love Alan Wake. It's not a FPS, but it can be suspenseful and scary at times. If you like puzzles and a challenge, try Portal 2, it does have multiplayer achievements by the way.
veece16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:15 AM   #3
poppaduff

Wi11ieBHardigan's Gamercard
Maybe check out some Driving Game Demos
poppaduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:33 AM   #4
kaitco

Kaitco's Gamercard
Thanks! I'll take a look at Alan Wake.

@poppaduff: Any suggestions for them or are they all pretty much the same?
Old 07-19-2011, 04:39 AM   #5
Ivan Mendez

Send a message via Yahoo to Ivan Mendez

eyes of artist's Gamercard
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Xbox+Liv...1312731&loc=01

Trials HD / Limbo / Splosion Man - Triple Pack

its only 10$ at Bust Buy(usually $29.99) its on sale. To be honest i don't have them but i will deferentially buy the pack before its $29.99 again.

It also comes with a Xbox Live Gold 48 hour trial and 160 Microsoft points.

Last edited by Ivan Mendez; 07-19-2011 at 04:44 AM.
Ivan Mendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:40 AM   #6
xh3M4nx

xh3m4nx's Gamercard
Assassins creed 2 and assassins creed brotherhood have great story modes, brotherhood does have multiplayer. if you enjoy lego games then banjo kazooie nuts and bolts is pretty good
xh3M4nx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:44 AM   #7
adamrulz

adamrulz's Gamercard
Forza 3 is good if you like racing sims, and if you don't so much, or not sure, you can change the settings to make it super easy for you or super technical. That, Burnout series is a good arcade racer, and Dirt 3 was pretty fun and easy to pick up. If you really need something easy, pick up a disney game or 2. Easy, enjoyable, and easy GS if you wanna get started. Play demos and get what you like really. We were all noobs at one point
adamrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:58 AM   #8
Magikarp

Send a message via AIM to Magikarp Send a message via MSN to Magikarp

lonelypizza's Gamercard
Haha, you're just like me. Not being into zombie/scary games and FPS.

Kind of depends on what else you're into- do you like Fighters, RPGs, action games?

Like someone else said above, Assassins Creed 2/Brotherhood are excellent games (with decently easy achievements, to boot) and are pretty easy to get into.

And I don't really recommend Reach if you're not into multiplayer aspects- that game was pretty much made for the multiplayer.

100% Completed
Retail [2]- Assassins Creed 2, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
Arcade [6]- Soul Calibur, Meteos Wars, Dash of Destruction, Harm's Way, Banjo Kazooie, UNO

If anyone would like to boost the following games, feel free to pm/add me on live!

Soul Calibur IV, Blazblue CS, MvC3
Magikarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:09 AM   #9
kaitco

Kaitco's Gamercard
I've thought about Assassin's Creed for a while, but could not tell if it was for me or not. I've played through both Force Unleashes, so I guess I lean more towards action games than anything else and AC looks like action, so I'll add it to the queue as well.

Good call on that Triple Pack as well! I played through some of the Limbo demo, but got a little creeped by it, but I think it's worth giving it another try. I'll definitely take a look at Forza 3 too.

Is Lara Croft worth venturing into as a newbie? I had the second one on PS1, but never got past the second level and gave up on it, but some of the more recent stuff looks fun.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:18 AM   #10
Minty

Send a message via MSN to Minty Send a message via Skype™ to Minty

Minty x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Minty   x360a Representer   Referrals - Gold   15,000 Posts   GamerScore League Season 9 Winner   PAX Meet 2010   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   GSL 8 MVP   Donator - Level 5   x360a Book Club   Submit - Bronze   Bright Idea
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
If you prefer the single player stuff, you can't go wrong with something like Mass Effect or Dragon Age- 2 of the best games on the console. Or Red Dead Redemption.

Assassins Creed is probably my favourite franchise, so I'd recommend that as well. (I'd probably skip 1 and jump to 2, you'll pick up the story quickly).

The Tomb Raiders are quite good fun. Not too hard. You may want to wait for the next one though.

Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:19 AM   #11
Wildmn34

Wildmn34's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Hmm, I like that you know what you like - but don't be afraid to try things a little out of your comfort zone either.

Some I would recommend.

Alan Wake for sure - awesome game

Shooters:

Gears of War 1&2 they are 3rd person shooters and about $4.99 and $12.99 I think at GameStop
Rainbow 6 Vegas 1&2 (again both really cheap at GameStop)
Borderlands

Puzzle games:

Portal 2
LA Noire (Kind of puzzle as you're a 1940 detective)

Racing games:

Forza 3 if you are a gear head
Need for Speed: Carbon (cheap) especially if you like a "story" racer
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit <--- awesome game

Other random games:

Plants versus Zombies (comes with Peggle and Zuma as well)

Adventure Games:

Assassin Creed games
Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands

RPGs:

Dragon Age: Origins
Fallout 3
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (new Collectors edition just came out for $29.99 and you get all the DLC)

Those would be the first round of recomendations I would throw you way. Hope that's not too many. lol

Edit - one thing I'll add if you have a Game Stop in your town buy preowned and if you don't like it you have 7 days to take it back for a full refund or flip it for something else. No hassle at all doing that. Good way to "rent" games for free.

Last edited by Wildmn34; 07-19-2011 at 05:21 AM.
Wildmn34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:23 AM   #12
McGoogles

Ratify's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Silver   Staff Club - DEG23   XBA Promoter   Submit - Silver
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Just Cause 2 is a fun game for a newbie. It's not too hard, the achievements are relatively easy, and there are endless possiblities when it comes to attaching things with your hook.
Latest arcade completion: Motocross Madness

McGoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:43 AM   #13
Floorkiller

threehaddock62's Gamercard
Batman: Arkham Asylum!
Floorkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:46 AM   #14
jamie1000013

D Mob x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Genre Competition - Second Place   2,500 Posts   x360a Representer   Completion Competition Winner   Word of Mouth   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Gold   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Mendez View Post
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Xbox+Liv...1312731&loc=01

Trials HD / Limbo / Splosion Man - Triple Pack

its only 10$ at Bust Buy(usually $29.99) its on sale. To be honest i don't have them but i will deferentially buy the pack before its $29.99 again.

It also comes with a Xbox Live Gold 48 hour trial and 160 Microsoft points.
Are you sure it comes with 160 MSP's? Why the hell has it dropped so much???? From 30.00 to 7.99 in Game...wow. Already got Limbo but that's great value for the other 2 still. 7.00 in Gamestation.

I'd say most of the Xbox exclusive games such as Halo, Gears, Fable, Forza, Alan Wake, Crackdown etc. Can't go wrong with that triple pack as well. Hitman and Splinter Cell are my favorite games especially the latter of the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildmn34 View Post
Racing games:

Forza 3 if you are a gear head
Need for Speed: Carbon (cheap) especially if you like a "story" racer
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit <--- awesome game
NFS Most Wanted is the best one

Edit - one thing I'll add if you have a Game Stop in your town buy preowned and if you don't like it you have 7 days to take it back for a full refund or flip it for something else. No hassle at all doing that. Good way to "rent" games for free.
This is why we can't have nice things.

Thank you Audacious for the sig

Last edited by jamie1000013; 07-19-2011 at 05:57 AM.
jamie1000013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:49 AM   #15
GrindPantera95

Beastial Flame's Gamercard
Sonic and Sega All Star Racing and racing games in general oughta be fun for you.

Be sure to scour the arcade games:
Brawlers and beat-em-ups like Castle Crashers, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, and After Burner Climax can be insanely fun with out giving you any real trouble.
GrindPantera95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:02 AM   #16
Floorkiller

threehaddock62's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1000013 View Post

This is why we can't have nice things.
I was at gamestop last week, and was picking up a new copy of a game. The guy at the counter told me I could just but the game used (for a whopping $2 cheaper) play it, and bring it back for a full refund. I just bought the new copy, but I thought it was funny that the guy was promoting that.
Floorkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:09 AM   #17
EVILELITE

thedarkdrummer's Gamercard
Pick up PGR4 at gamestop it cost less than $5. Its a 50/50 arcade/simulation racer that is fun to play and has some well put together achievements. Even the dlc pack cost a dollar so you will alot of racing to do for $5.

Dont mean to steal your thread but i have to ask. I love dead rising case zero and like case west. should i buy dead rising 2 full game? I want to have fun like i did with those games are the achievements frustrating?
EVILELITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:10 AM   #18
kRg321

kRg321's Gamercard
get oblivion. its a great game
kRg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:17 AM   #19
jtack79

Johnicus Xboxea's Gamercard
Games for newbies

I would suggest some of the RPG games. They do not lean heavily towards online multiplayer and they also allow you to go at your own pace to get the hang of gaming. Fallout 3 is a good starter because its not really scary, its mostly fun in a bizarre kinda way. I hope this helps. -j
jtack79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:21 AM   #20
Wildmn34

Wildmn34's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtack79 View Post
I would suggest some of the RPG games. They do not lean heavily towards online multiplayer and they also allow you to go at your own pace to get the hang of gaming. Fallout 3 is a good starter because its not really scary, its mostly fun in a bizarre kinda way. I hope this helps. -j
The only reason I hesitated recommending Fallout 3 is the Dunwhich Building - that place creeped me the hell out. But, personally, it's the best game I have ever played.
Wildmn34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:22 AM   #21
Aiden 514

Aiden 514's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
not scary you say i would recomend fear 3
hehehe
Aiden 514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:28 AM   #22
Gamerdude5448

Dr gore's Gamercard
I have a quick question. Why don't you like zombie games or scary games? I hate scary games as well but I love zombie games.

OT: Oblivion and Fallout are good games. Also I think you might like Kinect games as they are fun to play with friends.

Last edited by Gamerdude5448; 07-19-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Gamerdude5448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:33 AM   #23
acarter123

Ma Dukes Carter's Gamercard
What games should you try, Newbie?

All the Halo games are a good choice. Also, you might want to try rpg game like Fable III or L.A. Noire.
acarter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:34 AM   #24
Gamerdude5448

Dr gore's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILELITE View Post
I want to have fun like i did with those games are the achievements frustrating?
Depends what achievement guy you are. Are you a completionist or a guy who just gets achievements for a better score. Cause if your a completionist it wouldn't be very good for you.

Gamerdude5448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:43 AM   #25
Navajo

serabie's Gamercard
Dragon Age
Fable 2 and 3
Need for Speed Carbon
Oblivion
Assassins Creed

This are good games to start with. It kinda depends on yourself aswell tho. If you pick up things fast. For me Alan Wake was a bit creeping me out lol. And I must say that Dirt and Forza are difficult if you haven't played racegames before
Old 07-19-2011, 06:49 AM   #26
kaitco

Kaitco's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerdude5448 View Post
I have a quick question. Why don't you like zombie games or scary games? I hate scary games as well but I love zombie games.
Zombie games just make me uncomfortable and I know from my limited past experience with games that I hate being frightened in a game. All the fun is lost when something creepy is chasing after me.

After trying Forza 3's demo, I think I'm going to put racing games on hold for a bit as I spent more time crashing into the walls and struggling to stay on the road than actually driving the car.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:27 AM   #27
TobyLinn81

tobylinn's Gamercard
I'm going to second Fable 2 and 3, as those are good for a beginner. Also, Batman Arkham Asylum is pretty easy at times. Some fights are hard but the controls are fairly simple and you pick stuff up fast. Too bad you don't like scary games, cause Bioshock is an awesome game, and pretty simple for a newbie.

Oh, and I almost forgot, The Sims 3 is a really fun addictive game, and Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper for an easy 1000 gamerscore. And L.A. Noire is really easy, except for some of the achievements, and if you're having trouble with a part, the game asks whether you want to skip so that's good.
TobyLinn81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:40 AM   #28
EmporerDragon

EmporerDragon's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
I'd say give the hack 'n slash games like Dynasty Warriors a try. It's just you cutting a path through hundreds of enemies. Simple, but addictive.

Otherwise, I'd suggest The Saboteur or The Godfather (1st one, not the 2nd). Both are large, sandbox games with plenty of enjoyable things to do and have fun with.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:29 AM   #29
sphinx6

sphinx4's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitco View Post
I've only had an Xbox for a year and much of that time has been spent playing Rock Band and Lego games. I never played a lot of games as a kid, I've always been awful at FPS games and I hate games with zombies, so I always figured that Lego and rhythm games (and a few others) were always going to be the best that I could do.

I recently saw Halo: Reach was available as a demo, so I tried it and found that after running around a little, I was getting the hang of the FPS and that the game looked fun. Before I shell out the cash for it, though, I'm wondering if Reach is a game that I should get into as a gaming newbie and, if not, what other games would be better to expand my "gaming horizons"?

I haven't got a Gold account, so online/multiplayer is not going to be a major sell for me and I really don't like games with zombies or anything designed to be scary.

Any thoughts? (Please also point me to any recent threads if this has been discussed ad nauseum.)
i actually recommend the wwe franchise games. there is now wwe all stars too which is a more humourous take on sports entertainment wrestling. i haven't played it however.

the normal difficulty in wwe smackdown vs. raw 2011 is more like really easy and legend is more like hard. if you aren't brilliant like the others here at xbox 360 like me, i think you will find the wwe games can be a challenge, but in the end a fence that can be climbed. now that the wwe is not in the attitude era (a real kick ass era in what is since ten years ago, sports entertainment including the wcw/nwo and ecw), it has become more "family first" recently, which is probably good for their business instead of going in a more risque direction. that goes hand in hand with their games.

so start with wwe smackdown vs. raw 2007 and go on from there.
sphinx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:37 AM   #30
the archivest

archivest's Gamercard
I recommend LA Noire.
Almost not even a game.
Is very forgiving for new players.
You can skip difficult gun fights.
Your partner will actually help you out quite a bit.
You can turn on vibration and music clues.
You can have your partner pretty much drive anywhere.

This will leave you with a good experience and not turn you off of gaming because of a difficulty curve.
the archivest is offline   Reply With Quote