PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Fallout: New Vegas > Old World Blues
Subscribe    Donate

Old 07-20-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
Pooly93

Pewleh's Gamercard
Your thoughts on the DLC?

What did you think of it? Personally I loved it, much better than Dead Money and Honest Hearts, and possibly the funniest thing I've played through, I lost it once I reactivated the Toaster personality in the Sink.
The enemies are cool, the weapons are great, and overall the story is much better than the last two DLCs, just wish it wasn't so short, it took me about 4 or 5 hours to finish, that was going for most of the side missions as well.

Can't figure out the spoiler tags cause I've never used them, so spoilers!!

One thing I'm a bit annoyed with as well is at the end, I told my brain to come to the facility once I've dealt with the Think Tank, but it doesn't show up, and I can't leave the Think Tank or the DLC ends, plus my only save for it is after I've told my brain to come to the Think Tank when I've dealt with them, so I can't get it at all. I can get my spine and heart back at least, but I can't get my brain back, doesn't bother me to much, just kind of dissapointed I can't get it back in case theres any cool perks for getting it back. For those wondering, upon getting your brain and spine back you get new perks in place of the ones that came with the fake organs that are just as good IMO.

Anyway, what did you think of it?

Thanks to Xerofox for the sig!
Pooly93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:36 AM   #2
cbssi

dude527's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooly93 View Post
One thing I'm a bit annoyed with as well is at the end, I told my brain to come to the facility once I've dealt with the Think Tank, but it doesn't show up, and I can't leave the Think Tank or the DLC ends, plus my only save for it is after I've told my brain to come to the Think Tank when I've dealt with them, so I can't get it at all. I can get my spine and heart back at least, but I can't get my brain back, doesn't bother me to much, just kind of dissapointed I can't get it back in case theres any cool perks for getting it back. For those wondering, upon getting your brain and spine back you get new perks in place of the ones that came with the fake organs that are just as good IMO.

Anyway, what did you think of it?
That's not a glitch. For some reason the game doesn't reinstall your brain until the DLC ends. Or at least, that's how it happened for me.

On topic: I found this to be a bore, really. It's mainly because its lack of any kind of cohesion. I will say it's worth the $10, but there are so many negative aspects to it in my opinion. For one thing, the map seemed to be more populated with enemies than usual for the entirety of the DLC, and I could barely ever teleport. Also, the stupid Lobotomites were somehow sniping me with their pistols and taking huge chunks out of my health for some reason across-map. Honestly, I don't mind beefed up enemies. It's just that there are so many enemies, all beefed up, and the guns they give you to deal with them aren't even really proper kit for the situations.

I found the overall delivery of the missions to be quite dull, too. There was, specifically, that one inside of that high school simulation that just bored me to pieces because of how repetitive it was. I enjoy dungeon-crawling, but these environments just didn't interest me.

There's also length to discuss. It's frankly quite short, considering a few things. For one, I spent literally the first hour of my DLC talking to the robots in the Think Tank. Then I spent another what, three hours gathering their things for them? Just not enough gameplay. Further, it's just sad that I enjoyed the conversation much more than the gameplay. I've honestly never thought I would actually enjoy penis jokes. I'm not going to spoil any, but I'll consign that the interplay between the scientists combined with the penis jokes (as well as other jokes) really had me in stitches and really wanting to do their tasks for them. It was a brilliant introduction into the DLC. I loved that about this DLC.

Also, the talking house appliances were pretty hilarious. My favorite is a toss-up between Muggy and the toaster, but I won't spoil much there either. Needless to say, the characters in this DLC, when complimented by each other, are GOLD. In my opinion, an obvious selling point of this DLC is its humor and wackiness, because it honestly lacks any other form of motivation.

Even after finishing the DLC, I'm still a tad confused as to what I actually did. Possible spoilers ahead, but I'll try to be light; beware. From what I followed, the Think Tank needed the three pieces of equipment, so I retrieved them. I never knew why I was doing it. Then I went to confront Mobius with them. Turns out he tricked the Think Tank somehow. I'm not quite sure how, but I agree to subdue the blokes. Then I get reunited with my own brain and do so. But I'm not sure why I did any of that in the first place. It was all just abstract and weird, and sorry if I'm a bit thick, but I thought it needed to be clearer, giving the quest more of a sense of determination and purpose, as opposed to the sense of confusion I got. I did it anyways, but by never really involving me, the plot never hooked me. Maybe it's just me.

But I do think it's leaps and bounds ahead of Honest Hearts and Dead Money, all said. It's got open world, which is great. It also features handy pipelines that can take you across the map, so you don't have to worry about awkwardly navigating hilly areas anymore; that was nice. It's got an excellent cast of characters who deliver exceptionally well (it just could've done with an extra robot; a serious one who could actually keep me in the loop). It's also got an array of new and interesting (albeit not very useful) weapons to have fun with, and some new variations of old enemies.

Overall, it was pretty good. I would play through it again to see the other few ways the main plot can tie up, and it's better than the other two New Vegas DLCs. I still think, though, that most of Fallout 3's DLCs delivered more (Point Lookout being the pinnacle of awesome Fallout DLC and Broken Steel and The Pitt following close behind), and I'd like to see New Vegas achieve that level with the final DLC. That's all I've really got to say now. I just finished the DLC, so it'll sink in more later. I'll repost then.
100% retail games: King Kong, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo: Reach, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Prince of Persia, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, Assassin's Creed II, Saw, Mass Effect 2
80%+ retail games: The Orange Box, Tomb Raider: Underworld, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Fallout 3, Fable II, Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Resident Evil 5, Mass Effect, Halo Wars, BioShock, BioShock 2
cbssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:49 AM   #3
MrAwesome

hairyrussianman's Gamercard
- Very funny dlc, I've only played 20 minutes of it and already told my girlfriend to keep her penis feet away from me.
- Dala sounds like a heavy smoking hooker.
- Irritated that the asses on the patient gown are censored via underwear. Buttcracks would be hilarious.
MrAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:57 AM   #4
Alaskanassassin

alaskanassassin's Gamercard
I thought it was the best DLC yet and thought the length was much better than normal fallout expansions. Also hearing Doctor Venture was nice.
Alaskanassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
Evo Kazz

II Kazz II's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Silver   Over Achiever - Platinum   Donator - Level 1   5,000 Posts   Staff Club - DEG23   Staff Club - Madhatters13   Staff Club - Shinobi273   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Staff Club - Rajeanero   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Tyger7   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 3
Total Awards: 27 (more» ...)
There is no medium on this DLC, it starts out pretty funny, but soon gets old when you realise you have been sat talking to robots for what? 20 - 30mins? There are some great one liners in there, but not enough to keep going for that amount of time. X8 and X13 were awesome, the first 2 times, once the tests kept going, I wanted to go to sleep. Collecting the items was kinda cool, until it dragged on and on and on. Then I met the toaster, he was worth 800msp on his own! The DLC is the best NV DLC yet, but thats not saying much really is it? I hate it when Fallout release DLC you can only enter once, its pretty annoying. Fallout 3 had some truly amazing DLC, what has happened with NV?? Old World Blues is the best yet for the game, but by F3 standards, it doesn't come close to any of them. Which is a shame, as the main NV game was amazing, and well up there with F3. At least we can go back to OWB, unlike Dead Money (although who would want to go back there if not for that fucking snowglobe everyone forgets about).

Someone above mentioned about the enemies, I have to agree actually, I am a level 43 character, so pretty advanced, and took good weapons in with me. I hardly ever die in Fallout games once I am built up well, but on this DLC I must have been cheap killed by those fucking Nightstalkers a good few times, and Lobotomites with Sniper Handguns wtf.

Arcade Crazy - 26 - Over Achiever - 54 - XB1 Points - 47
Franchise Clubs - 5x Tier 1, 3x Tier 2, 1x Tier 3
Staff Clubs - 10

Last edited by Evo Kazz; 07-20-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Evo Kazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:01 AM   #6
Mangled Bodies

Mangled Bodies's Gamercard
I hope one day that fallout can compete with bulletstorm's 'dick' jokes haha and I love Toaster <3

Last edited by Mangled Bodies; 07-20-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Mangled Bodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:05 AM   #7
Teh Phantomz

l The Phantom l's Gamercard
Loved the music.

Party time Party time Party time Party time Party time Party time

We all just need a little bit of Sunshine in our lives.

Teh Phantomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #8
kantizuni

Send a message via MSN to kantizuni

Kant x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Definitely the best one released so far.

Conversations went on for a bit too long, especially the initial dialogue when you first arrive. Which would have probably been okay, if his voice wasn't so annoying.

Couple of things I wasn't so impressed with though in the spoiler tag.

Spoiler! (click here to reveal)

Overall, I was quiet (so what I did there?) happy with it. Loved the toaster. Loved the light switched. I've made the Sink my new residence and i'm glad to have a new area permanently added to the game. I'm very much looking forward to the final DLC and I hope it is at least as good as this one (as opposed to the previous two, which were.... less good).
kantizuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:57 AM   #9
cbssi

dude527's Gamercard
I think the sad part about this DLC is that nearly everyone is citing the characters and interaction with NPCs as highlights; I have seen very few people praise it for map design, quest setup, exploration, or....anything other than the NPCs. Obsidian seems to have crafted some great character interaction with some not-so-great gameplay.

And then I think the sad part about this game's post-release support is that, despite having fairly monotonous and generally not-engaging gameplay, quests, or flow, Old World Blues is still being praised as the best DLC for New Vegas yet by a fair amount of people. For me, that really speaks to the quality of this game's DLC so far. I've seen it as a bunch of missed opportunities personally. Fallout 3's DLC ranged from boring (Operation: Anchorage) to excellent (Point Lookout), and New Vegas certainly has the boring down (Honest Hearts and Dead Money - not bad, just boring), as well as just good (Old World Blues), but I've yet to see anything truly excellent from these DLCs. Just my opinion.
100% retail games: King Kong, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo: Reach, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Prince of Persia, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, Assassin's Creed II, Saw, Mass Effect 2
80%+ retail games: The Orange Box, Tomb Raider: Underworld, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Fallout 3, Fable II, Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Resident Evil 5, Mass Effect, Halo Wars, BioShock, BioShock 2
Old 07-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
Tragik T

Tragik T's Gamercard
HATE HATE HATE the enemies...brought all of my best shit with me (i.e. Armor, weapons, and my level 40 character) and the weapons do JACK SHIT for damage, and all of my armor is depleted, including the Stealth outfit you get in the DLC...What the fuck is up with the enemies just spawning in my face outta nowhere??? Besides that...great dlc!!!
Tragik T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #11
kantizuni

Kant x360a's Gamercard

I've noticed (not just in this thread, but across the internet) people complaining that the enemies were too hard, or weapons do hardly any damage.

I had noticed that as well, with the weapons I brought in with me. However, the weapons that you find in the DLC, specifically the (I can't remember the actual item names) EMP Axe, and Elijah's semi-unique LAER rifle did excellent damage. The sonic gun does AMAZING damage, as long as you equip the right frequency for what you're fighting against. But you would have to buy five (or six?) of them to have all the frequencies on you at all times, and that's just a waste of cash considering the length of the DLC.

If you don't have Energy Weapons training for the LAER or sonic gun, my roommate claims to have great success with the K9000 gun.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #12
Evo Kazz

II Kazz II's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Silver   Over Achiever - Platinum   Donator - Level 1   5,000 Posts   Staff Club - DEG23   Staff Club - Madhatters13   Staff Club - Shinobi273   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Staff Club - Rajeanero   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Tyger7   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 3
Total Awards: 27 (more» ...)
I agree with your roomy, the LAER and K9000 are what you need to be using most in this DLC, so bring plenty of ammo for the K9000 and MFCELLS

Arcade Crazy - 26 - Over Achiever - 54 - XB1 Points - 47
Franchise Clubs - 5x Tier 1, 3x Tier 2, 1x Tier 3
Staff Clubs - 10

Evo Kazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #13
SpongebobRoundpants

gamerboyTHXtss's Gamercard
There is already a thread about this topic.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=311805
SpongebobRoundpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #14
cbssi

dude527's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongebobRoundpants View Post
There is already a thread about this topic.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=311805
I would say that that thread is not related to this one. That one is basic thoughts (also of note is that that was posted way before release), and it directly asks users how much XP they think is in the game. This thread is asking opinions on the DLC. The threads are unique.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #15
Cookies1560

BackHandB0b's Gamercard
I love Muggy sooo much.
I actually want him in my house

100,000G achieved on 23/10/2011
Cookies1560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #16
Starkweather

StarkweatherXC's Gamercard
i think its the best DLC for New Vegas so far no doubt and it is very funny, even your stealth suit thinks its a comedian :P right after i killed Stripe and picked up the dog bowl it said ''starting combat.... just kidding'' had me on edge lol
Starkweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:52 AM   #17
McGoogles

Ratify's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Silver   Staff Club - DEG23   XBA Promoter   Submit - Silver
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Aside from the test chambers and insanely long dialogue content, it was great. Muggy and Toaster were what finalized the decision that the DLC was worth getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookies1560 View Post
I love Muggy sooo much.
I actually want him in my house
Me too. I picked up every coffee cup in sight in hopes that he'd be my companion or stay at my suite to no avail.
Latest arcade completion: Motocross Madness

McGoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #18
Pooly93

Pewleh's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbssi View Post
That's not a glitch. For some reason the game doesn't reinstall your brain until the DLC ends. Or at least, that's how it happened for me.
No idea what happened with me then, I finished the DLC and my brain stayed there, the only things I could get back were my heart and spine :/ ah well.

OT: The enemies were annoying, I didn't have so much trouble with them, I went in at level 38 and finished on level 43, didn't die once, I did have to keep repairing my armour though, cost me 4k caps a pop cause I took Joshua Graham's armour from HH in with me. I did find the giant Robo Scorpion fun though, even if it was near impossible to kill, it was the only thing that came close to killing me, only thing to drop me below half health as well actually.

Thanks to Xerofox for the sig!
Pooly93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #19
kantizuni

Kant x360a's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkweather View Post
even your stealth suit thinks its a comedian :P right after i killed Stripe and picked up the dog bowl it said ''starting combat.... just kidding'' had me on edge lol

I totally ROFL'ed on that part.
The stealth suit. Even though she somehow managed to use up all of my stimpacks within 30 minutes, I still love her. I hung up my power armour forever and accepted the DT loss, just to hear the sneaky suit commentary while I played.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #20
Maynard EFC93

MaynardVXR's Gamercard
I've gotta say I enjoyed it, some aspects of it brought back memories of Fallout 3
Maynard EFC93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #21
jlverhey

jlverhey's Gamercard
It looks pretty sweet. I downloaded but havent played it yet
jlverhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #22
Clericking

Clerickid's Gamercard
I think it was on equal measure with honest hearts maybe a bit better but as mentioned previously the amount of enemies that would spawn fought about 15 lobtomites and the those skelton suits one after the other this was made more troublesome due to the fact the brush guns they had eat my health biggest problem i had though was that while trying to snipe nightstalkers it just wasnt hitting them was frustrating but i really enjoyed the dlc
Old 07-23-2011, 03:47 AM   #23
Zombiedrd

Zombiedrd's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
My favorite so far. I love Fallout science. Heart, Spine, brain removed, yet the brain still 'controlled' your body because of tesla coils.

Also, I loved all the talking electronics.
200,000-?
Zombiedrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #24
AlienDenzil85

AlienDenzil85's Gamercard
I loved the humour in it, it reminded me so much of the first two Fallout games where nearly every conversation was funny if you asked the right questions! That humour was something that has been largely missing in F3 and New Vegas.
AlienDenzil85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #25
Inebriated Jedi

Send a message via Skype™ to Inebriated Jedi

Inebriated Jedi's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   Staff Club - Inebriated Jedi   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   Three Lives Remaining - Finalist   Donator - Level 1   Staff Club - AOS Puck   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - * Clueless *   XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Great DLC, though some parts were a little too repetitive for my liking. Doing stealth tests and grabbing random things got old after awhile. I thought the dialogue and the characters more than made up for it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkweather View Post
i think its the best DLC for New Vegas so far no doubt and it is very funny, even your stealth suit thinks its a comedian :P right after i killed Stripe and picked up the dog bowl it said ''starting combat.... just kidding'' had me on edge lol
Once when I took the stealth suit off, I suddenly heard her say "I'll miss you!"

It made me laugh so hard.

Inebriated Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #26
Louchavelli

Send a message via Skype™ to Louchavelli

Louchavelli's Gamercard
I really enjoyed this DLC. I'm really excited with how all of the DLCs are referencing each other and setting up for a grand encounter between couriers.

With Old World Blues, I love the way it was it written. With all of their knowledge and resources, you understand that a person is still a person and bound by thier fears, passions and insecurities. While comical in execution, the plot is deep.

------------------------------------------------
Louchavelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:18 AM   #27
Captain Redeye

Captain Redeye's Gamercard
This is most definitely my favourite of the DLC packs thus far (loved Honest Hearts and hated Dead Money) though there were a few gripes that had me frustrated at points. Even with its faults, it did not detract from the overall experience. I really enjoyed it and I can only hope Lonesome Road is just as good. I have to say that the Stealth Suit Mk. II is probably one of my favourite aspects of the DLC. I love that self-healing-needy-badass piece of armour.
Captain Redeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #28
wolfzero01

wolfzero01's Gamercard
I'm enjoying this DLC & think its the best of the NV ones yet. each of the Dr are funny, especially Dr. Dala & her teddy bear obsession. The K-9 gun is cool & I love the Stealth Suit. My only complaint is whenever you complete one of the main quests & exit one of the research centers you end up encountering many of the robo-scorpions, usually with little room to move, luckly I have the Tesla Coil prototype which does a good job on them.

I hope Lonesome Road is just as good.
wolfzero01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #29
PenderPowguin

PenderPowguin's Gamercard

Personally, I loved it. But, I am one of those who loved Dead Money and Honest Hearts as well. The order in which I enjoyed the DLC's: Old World Blues, Dead Money, then Honest Hearts.

I find it quite surprising that people would complain about the difficulty of the enemies . The fact that I couldn't just run over every battle I came across made this the best DLC by far. I hope those same people realize, that they can lower the difficulty with no repercussions to Experience points.

The story, I loved it. Not everyone's cup of tea I imagine, but I really enjoyed it. Then again, it appears that I am not the "norm" around here (from most of the replies I've seen), in the essence that I enjoy reading the story-lines to each mission of each DLC. I am one of those peoples that went around in Dead Money, looking for the terminals and reading the journals. I never just rapid 'A' tap through conversations. That's part of the experience for me, and I enjoy it! The humor/goofiness in this DLC was definitely top-notch.

The new assortment of weapons, armor, and accessories is pretty neat. I have beaten the DLC, but I have not explored every possible area yet (I take my time). The ability to access the many features of the Sink adds yet even more value to the overall DLC.

The environment is fantastic. Those who might complain that New Vegas veered too far off of the Fallout 3 path (which to me, is ridiculous...), should love the environments available in this DLC. The labs are more vault-like than many of the establishments in New Vegas (aside of the vaults themselves, of course). And Higgs village, albeit a small area, brings you back to that vintage 50's setting that no doubt should bring upon some Fallout 3 nostalgic effect.

All in all, I've come to an absolute conclusion that the nay-sayers or over-zealous Fallout 3 fans (whom only wish to play another Fallout 3, rather than a new rendition of the Fallout series), will never be satisfied with New Vegas or any of its downloadable content. This DLC was nothing short of amazing in terms of story, environment/mood setting, rewards, combat, and character persona. Playability for the DLC surpassed my expectations, as there is quite a bit available to play. Especially when compared to Dead Money or Honest Hearts, and really, to most of the DLC from Fallout 3.

Definitely worth the 800msp.

"Are you saying we shouldn't hope?"

"I'm saying we should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open!”
- Raistlin Majere

Major props to Rajeanero for this sexy sig!
PenderPowguin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:05 PM   #30
Ragnarok1986

Ragnarok1986's Gamercard

Alot bigger than the other 2 but too much talking :/ Overall 8/10

Follow me on Twitter
Ragnarok1986 is offline   Reply With Quote