PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Alpha Protocol
Subscribe    Donate

Old 04-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
justG0Twicked

justG0Twicked's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Worth playing?

I know that this game got worse reviews than many people had hoped for when it came out. Is it worth playing at all?
justG0Twicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
Chaos MAN

ChaosSlayerX187's Gamercard
Even though I disliked this game I think it's at least worth a rent.
Chaos MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
justG0Twicked

justG0Twicked's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)
I was hoping to hear that is was at least that worthy.....rental, it will be. Thanks.
justG0Twicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Vault Lad

vault lad's Gamercard
Ditto on the rental (even though you can get this game for £10 new by now) I'm sure you've all heard the usual stuff people have to say about this game: It has a TON of ambition and none of where with all to capitalize on a fraction of it.

The looping, intricate story based stuff is probably the only part of the game which comes even close to standing on it's own, but even then, it struggles to get out of that uncanny "select your adventure - turn to page 76 now!" type of mould which things like Mass Effect suffered from. But it does what it needs to do, with some above average voice acting and with the whole slick, international espionage shtick in tow.

Gameplay. Eh what can I say? Turn the expectation dial down to 5, or 4. The games strength is absolutely not here. It's a pretty vile mix of your stock and trade RPG levelling up system with your stock and trade shooter mechanics. The problem is... they barely function. A headshot will never truly be a headshot without prerequisite amount of leveling up. And this runs right across throughout all combat. Plus, enemies have this tendency to run straight at you, so good luck trying hitting some guy bounding towards you like some retard on a sugar rush while he stun-locks you to death with unblockable melee attacks.

The game is absolutely what you make of it. I've read as many reviews praising it what it does right as I have reviews despising it for what it does wrong. And achievement wise, eh it's not too bad, think the original Mass Effect. Cheevos for a goody-two-shoes play-through and cheevos for an evil one.

Alpha Protocol: The most mediocre game with kick-ass potential under the hood of 2010.

5/10

Last edited by Vault Lad; 04-06-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Vault Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
Blueprotoss
Banned User

Unwillingshadow's Gamercard
AP is worth a Buy even at a $60 pricetag while you need to be a Hardcore RPG fan and a fan that loved ME yet disliked ME2. This is what ME2 should have been with the choice, morality, and RPG systems. This is an under rated game especially when this was a delayed game and it came out afer ME2.
Blueprotoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:37 AM   #6
TakeOver77

benzino4677's Gamercard
I wouldn't say under rated just underachieving.
TakeOver77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:09 AM   #7
Tyger7
Moderator and Guide Staff

Send a message via AIM to Tyger7 Send a message via MSN to Tyger7 Send a message via Yahoo to Tyger7 Send a message via Skype™ to Tyger7

tyger7's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff - Guide Team   Micro Guide - Gold   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   5,000 Posts   Submit - Silver   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - Tyger7   The Helping Hand   Referrals - Silver   Road Map - Diamond   Achievement Guide - Diamond   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
Though I don't care much for threads that just ask how the game is (they come up quite frequently), I can say I very much enjoyed this game, even doing multiple play throughs
The things people say to get to 5 posts...

Xbox360 games I have
http://darkadia.com/member/tyger7/library
Tyger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:48 PM   #8
Kaskade

AWESOME X 916's Gamercard
Best Buy has Alpha Protocol on sale for this week for $19.99.I might pick it up since I have a $10 gift card so i'll only be paying $10 for it.
Kaskade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
The Lazy Pyro

TheOnlyDoctorG's Gamercard
I really wanted to not hate Alpha Protocol, and honestly I don't, but it's just... eh...

Here's the thing: The story is great. The branching storyline works really well and it's cool to see your actions affect/effect/whichever one goes here things.

Then when you actually play the game, it falls apart. The game is glitchy, has terrible AI, and has this annoying "stats over skill" system. Which is to say: You can perfectly align all the shots you want, but if the invisible dice say you didn't hit anything, then your bullets will go right through the enemies.

Still... I finished the game. And it's not terrible. Just not really worth much beyond a rental.
The Lazy Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
ReD S1X

ReD S1X's Gamercard
this may seem off-topic but which would you choose to play

Alpha Protocol or Risen?

----------------------------

Got Alpha Protocol for a while and had to say it, it's not a bad game at all, just confusing achievements.

Reached to 300,000G @ 16/8/13
Achieved 10,000 achievements @ 28/12/12

Last edited by ReD S1X; 05-07-2011 at 03:28 AM.
ReD S1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
Blueprotoss
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lazy Pyro View Post
Then when you actually play the game, it falls apart. The game is glitchy, has terrible AI, and has this annoying "stats over skill" system. Which is to say: You can perfectly align all the shots you want, but if the invisible dice say you didn't hit anything, then your bullets will go right through the enemies.

Still... I finished the game. And it's not terrible. Just not really worth much beyond a rental.
You forget that every RPG has glitches and most of the RPGs have a stat system that doesn't rely on skill like shooting ability. The AI being bad is an Opinion, but the Difficulty is the real challenge in RPGs. Fallout 3, Oblivion, Dragon Age: Origins, and Mass Effect 1 have the same basic system while people don't moan about that. I feel that people ignore the games that previously did that then bash on the games that currently do that.

You say its worth a Rental because of Opinion, but if anyone loved ME1 then AP is an instant buy. I bought this game on Day 1 for $60 and I still don't regret it.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:27 AM   #12
friedmad

cribbet's Gamercard
despite all the player netgatives about this game, i found it not only to be playable but replayable. ive played it thru 5 times already and always find something new or some new piece of dialog that makes me giggle. granted they could have made some the achievements a little easier to get (you can miss quite a few of them on a playthru due to choices made earlier in the game, which is bogus), but its still fun to play.
friedmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
Tiffany

smallish atsumi's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Aside from the terrible voice acting, I really enjoyed the game and thought it was well worth the $30 I spent on it.

I love games of all kinds, I'm a photographer, and a reptile lover.
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:14 AM   #14
Johnnyreid6

shootemup BRAVO's Gamercard
no, just no this game is a complete shambles in every respect. Brilliant concept but they ruined the execution of the project big time.
Johnnyreid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:27 PM   #15
Kaskade

AWESOME X 916's Gamercard
Just got my copy of AP today in the mail from Amazon for only $12.02
Kaskade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #16
Trunks KPH

Trunks KPH's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by justG0Twicked View Post
I know that this game got worse reviews than many people had hoped for when it came out. Is it worth playing at all?
For me, I think the first few levels were terrible. I was doing Recruit class on easy difficulty and having no skills hurts the stealth aspect a lot. After a few level ups and getting some skills and perks the game feels much more playable and fun.

I got it as a rental. I would recommend as a rental but wouldn't be upset if I had bought it for a small amount. Definitely worth playing even with he old looking graphics and the bugs etc.

Last edited by Trunks KPH; 05-09-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Trunks KPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:37 AM   #17
Blueprotoss
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyreid6 View Post
no, just no this game is a complete shambles in every respect. Brilliant concept but they ruined the execution of the project big time.
Its worth a buy while you must of had your standards way too high especially when this wasn't labeled as an AAA title. The concept and execution is the gameplay that should have happened in ME2 while it had a nice Modern Spy feel. The only three things that ruined AP was the delays, coming out after the release of ME2, and people not reading the cover with the title Espionage RPG because people thought it was a Run n' Shooter like the basic FPS or Splinter Cell Double Agent/Conviction.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #18
CrimsonLightning

Red Donut's Gamercard
It was an alright game but don't pay no more than $20 for it
CrimsonLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:37 PM   #19
Fire Hawk D

Fire Hawk GYJS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Gold   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
The game's really good. I got it for $15 back in March and just recently started it. It's got some faults, but I'm not seeing any glitches or anything. The AI is kind of..."special" (expect plenty of suicide charges). The story's pretty entertaining, too, and the voice acting is above average. And, I'm on my third playthrough. All in all, if you can get it cheap, get it. It's worthwhile.

Or, at least rent it. Steven Heck makes it worth that much alone.
Fire Hawk D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:01 PM   #20
DJ DEXTA

DJ DEXTA's Gamercard
Plain and simple. NO i think its one of the worst current gen games ive played. and ive played a quite a few. It just seem to fail in every way possibile imo.

Of course i have initiative..... im just waiting for someone to tell me when to use it.

DJ DEXTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #21
Blueprotoss
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ DEXTA View Post
Plain and simple. NO i think its one of the worst current gen games ive played. and ive played a quite a few. It just seem to fail in every way possibile imo.
I highly doubt that especially if you own a Wii or play every game thats released.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #22
Ellerkermike371
Banned User

ellerkermike38's Gamercard
This game is terrible because it's way too hard even on the easiest difficulty and I'm not good in building my charcter very well.
Ellerkermike371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:03 PM   #23
Blueprotoss
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellerkermike371 View Post
This game is terrible because it's way too hard even on the easiest difficulty and I'm not good in building my charcter very well.
Most of the RPGs are supposed to be hard including the achievements, but you eventually know how to build characters by reading guides or playing enough RPGs.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:08 PM   #24
Ellerkermike371
Banned User

ellerkermike38's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueprotoss View Post
Most of the RPGs are supposed to be hard including the achievements, but you eventually know how to build characters by reading guides or playing enough RPGs.
Which guides I should be looking at or search it on youtube?

Thanks for the tips.
Ellerkermike371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:06 AM   #25
Blueprotoss
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellerkermike371 View Post
Which guides I should be looking at or search it on youtube?

Thanks for the tips.
You might be able to find something on Gamefaqs or Youtube while the best way to learn the ropes in AP is by running a Freelancer class because its a mix of everything. If you need some more help then just message me.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #26
tiger 1

!

I just picked up this game on the cheap. What I get from this game it plays like the old Metal Gear Solid games and thatís no too bad. I do see problems with the game which are unrealistic physics. Otherwise, I just need games to play.
tiger 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #27
sardamin

xXDENEXx's Gamercard
One i hated the fact that i pre order the game and it got pushed back a couple of extra mounths then when i sawthe review on x-play when it did come out i was terribly disappointed but since its cheap now ill give it a shot.
sardamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #28
tiger 1

!

Deeper into the game I kind of like it.
tiger 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #29
Blueprotoss
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardamin View Post
One i hated the fact that i pre order the game and it got pushed back a couple of extra mounths then when i sawthe review on x-play when it did come out i was terribly disappointed but since its cheap now ill give it a shot.
Thats the problem you shouldn't base a game being bad or good because of delays and reviews since everyone has their own Opinion while games do get pushed back often, which is why they don't like to give out release dates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger 1 View Post
Deeper into the game I kind of like it.
Thats good to hear.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #30
Nitnoid

haZZmaTTaZZ's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
I enjoyed playing this game a lot more than Fallout: New Vegas. Talk about a glitchy game!
Nitnoid is offline   Reply With Quote