Subscribe    Donate
Alpha Protocol
Quick links
Latest news
Jul 06, 2010 No Plans For Alpha Protocol Sequel
May 31, 2010 X360A Review: Alpha Protocol
May 31, 2010 In Stores This Week Around The World
May 28, 2010 Alpha Protocol Gets a Gravelly-Voiced Launch Trailer
May 25, 2010 Another Alpha Protocol Trailer Shows Michael Thorton Being a Sly Old Dog

Old 10-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
True I Skill

Gamertag: The Khaos

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Suck at hacking and lock-picking.

Ok so the first few levels i found very easy. But since getting to my last location i completely suck at it. Im fine with the one where you have two passwords and have to find them on the grid of changing letters. Its the other 2 i struggle on. The numbers one i really cant keep up, they give so little time and so many numbers that i find the only possible way is to guess what line leads to what number.

As for the pick locking im just completely ignoring them now, if the line is not directly on your screwed, If your finger moves Just one cm off of the trigger your screwed, if ur controller runs out of battery your screwed. And for some reason they've hooked up pretty much every single padlock to an alarm. Yeah even the padlock on the back of the trucks are hooked up to an alarm system.

Yeah so i suck at these 2 things. i want to get better tho, So does anyone have any tips for these? I've been through the store and brought some gloves, but i think they only give extra XP For hacking and stuff, So they dont really help, are there any other items that will make it easyer? Or any gadgets that can get past lock picking? Any certain way to hold the controller?
True I Skill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
xox godders xox

I only just noticed near the end of the game but with the lock picking there's a round shape next to the things you're adjusting and when you're in the sweetspot this changes colour. I found it easier once I'd noticed this.

The printed circuitry armour mod is supposed to help with lock picking too.

As for the other type they're just ridiculously hard so can't help there. Even when it feels like I'm doing it quickly I only find I get to the 7th or 8th trace (out of 10).
xox godders xox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
asdfen

invest into skills improving that stuff or just ignore all the locks/hacking there is really nothing much in there most of the time. If you are playing on hard I would advise ignoring all the locks. It just doesn't pay off

With max skill for your current level its really easy especially if you specialize in that stuff.
PS: also forgot to mention that since it sound like you ate not enjoying it all that much you can just buy emp and emp upgrades and skipping all that stuff while getting the loot. Money isnt an issue in this game if you plan ahead and only buy the armor you gonna stick with for the rest of the game.

Last edited by asdfen; 10-15-2010 at 08:37 AM.
asdfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
True I Skill

Thanks.
i did notice that skill last night on my next playthrough that helps lock-picking. i guess i could put it up a little and leave a few points off the end of the stealth skill.
True I Skill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
Andarion

Gamertag: Col Andarion
one other tip. ive noticed that ive been able to hit the B button to cancel a hack/bypass/lockpick if things are not going my way without setting off an alarm.

as was said earlier, EMP is a fantastic way to take care of it, no problem. money is fairly easy to come by, so it can be quite beneficial to have a few to take with you.
"I love multiplayer as much as the next guy, but the day that games start becoming multiplayer only on a wide scale is the day I find a new field to hold my interest and cash. I can't see myself staying in a genre where K/D ratio is the measure of a person's worth, and trash talk is the norm."
~Arkalivan
Andarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
LHXQ

(Assuming anyone else is still reading this forum.)

I can do the hacking minigame okay, except the right analog stick doesn't seem to behave properly. I can move the code fragment left, right and down with no problems, but when I tap up it doesn't always work. Needless to say this makes hacking successfully difficult and frustrating. Is it like this for everyone, or do I just have an issue with my controller? Right stick works fine on every other game I play.

Thanks...
LHXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
Jack Frost

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Minty   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   2,500 Posts   Submit - Silver   Staff Club - rekikire   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   Artist of the Month   Community Gaming - Bronze   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 2   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHXQ View Post

I can do the hacking minigame okay, except the right analog stick doesn't seem to behave properly. I can move the code fragment left, right and down with no problems, but when I tap up it doesn't always work. Needless to say this makes hacking successfully difficult and frustrating. Is it like this for everyone, or do I just have an issue with my controller? Right stick works fine on every other game I play.

Thanks...
Maybe it's the game.

I don't have any problem with the hacking game, I can move around at will. But whenever I load up any level, checkpoint or safehouse, my character just starts walking to the left.

This is the only game I have that this happens in, so I'm inclined to think it's the game and not my fairly new controller.

It's gotten me spotted or killed multiple times and is very annoying...
Jack Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:18 AM   #8
Floyd.
CT Max Clubs Director

Gamertag: Floyd XBA

Awards Showcase The Indomitable DerpleHoff Award!   Staff Club - Floyd.   Staff - Community Team - Maximum Clubs Director   Community Gaming - Bronze   The Helping Hand - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   XBA Representer   XBA Promoter   GSL 14 - Team MVP   Impossible Trinity - Bronze   Guide Writers Guild   Achievement Guide - Bronze
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHXQ View Post

Thanks...
Same for me. It responds, but slower than it should, and occasionally not at all.

The lockpicking is a breeze, though.

OT: Invest two points into Sabotage (6 AP). Helps.
Floyd. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:49 AM   #9
Jack Frost

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Minty   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   2,500 Posts   Submit - Silver   Staff Club - rekikire   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   Artist of the Month   Community Gaming - Bronze   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 2   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydian x Slip View Post
Same for me. It responds, but slower than it should, and occasionally not at all.

The lockpicking is a breeze, though.

OT: Invest two points into Sabotage (6 AP). Helps.
I can do the hacking games, but lockpicking was always sketchy for me.

I just started using my gadget slots for EMPs and just using those to open safes and locks. I don't know how an EMP can set the pins on a lock like that, but then again, they have alarm systems tied to the locks on trailer trucks parked out behind the places you're infiltrating, so...
Jack Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:40 PM   #10
True I Skill

Wow, posted this years ago and it is still going. I actually recently came back to the game, and came back to this section to see if anyone had complained about the lock picking after getting frustrated at a level! Completely forgot i had already complained about it myself.

Anyway with lock picking i did find that i would focus on getting the line in between the small bar, this does not work because thats not the point, the point is just below it, so focusing on lining up the bottom line with the main line worked better, instead of in the middle then down a bit as i was doing.

Still can't figure them out either way, i guess il try emp's and what not next time i jump on.