Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Japanese Games (NTSC-J) > Action > Catherine
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-03-2011, 02:25 AM   #1
luke391

Send a message via AIM to luke391 Send a message via Skype™ to luke391

Admiral Vic's Gamercard
Axis

Maybe its me but when I play this NO MATTER WHAT it's different than youtube peoples. Most of my patterns are checkerboarded and its extremely hard to get past even 20 floors with this sloppy arrangement. When I can make them safe it takes too long and I usually die from the map cycling.

Does anyone have some tips or "secret" to make this doable?!
luke391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:48 AM   #2
NikkiLove

Shuggie Love's Gamercard
From what I understand, the Babel paths are completely random, not just a cycle through a large number of preset arrangements. Based upon the number of blocks in the Axis Mundi puzzle, it would seem the odds of getting something close to somebody's YouTube layout are slim to none. I have no true tips, because I haven't beaten Axis Mundi yet (and probably never will), but I would guess you just have to keep trying until you get lucky enough to get a layout that works well with the techniques you know and use.

Last edited by NikkiLove; 08-03-2011 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Grammar
NikkiLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:53 AM   #3
luke391

Admiral Vic's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiLove View Post
From what I understand, the Babel paths are completely random, not just a cycle through a large number of preset arrangements. Based upon the number of blocks in the Axis Mundi puzzle, it would seem the odds of getting something close to somebody's YouTube layout are slim to none. I have no true tips, because I haven't beaten Axis Mundi yet (and probably never will), but I would guess you just have to keep trying until you get lucky enough to get a layout that works well with the techniques you know and use.
I never liked people saying they're random... they're just nonpreset. However you can play several babel stages countless times and elements are constant. A prime example would be the tower on Altar which ALWAYS spawns in the low 40's and lasts till the low 60's. It also keeps the same design and if im not mistaken the same order at which the puzzles are done... something like...

The same goes for endings which generally have the standard

Solutions.

In addition there are only a finite number of designed traps that fall. You really notice this in Ob cause you will see the same grouping countless times. How they break up is dependent on what your foundation is of course... but these things are not night are day.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:03 AM   #4
NikkiLove

Shuggie Love's Gamercard
That's interesting...I've never noticed that. Granted, the only Babel stage I've played more than once was Altar, and I didn't play it enough times to notice any glaring constants. That actually makes me feel a bit better about completing the 4 Babel stages. Before you made me aware of these consistencies, I was going to just grind them out over and over hoping to get lucky.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:17 AM   #5
luke391

Admiral Vic's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiLove View Post
That's interesting...I've never noticed that. Granted, the only Babel stage I've played more than once was Altar, and I didn't play it enough times to notice any glaring constants. That actually makes me feel a bit better about completing the 4 Babel stages. Before you made me aware of these consistencies, I was going to just grind them out over and over hoping to get lucky.
Oh trust me its STILL hard as hell and you still need to know what to do when things go to hell. Ob is a prime example as there are several bombs (which are basically a failure if they're in the right place), mystery boxes which can really destroy you though anything and Monster blocks preventing advancement.

However if you want proof of what I was saying...

skip to 1:13 and thats step 43.

The pattern is...

3 > 2 > 2 > 2 > 3 > 4 (which happens to be exactly what I listed LOL kinda proof I played these levels too many times)

skip to 1:41 and thats step 45.

It also features the 3 > 2 > 2 > 2 > 3 > 4 pattern.

So yeah... I want to believe this level is no different and theres maybe a trick cause these levels remain constant in certain places.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:11 AM   #6
Major Bones

Major Bones's Gamercard
These are going to be a pain, but I have noticed similarities in them as well. Ill probably save these for last if I ever get enough time to play this for any extended period.
Major Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
luke391

Admiral Vic's Gamercard
NVM I got it and the full 1,000 =D
Old 08-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
NikkiLove

Shuggie Love's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke391 View Post
NVM I got it and the full 1,000 =D
Congratulations! 1000 on this game is no simple task. I can't imagine many people have achieved the complete 1000.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:12 AM   #9
Major Bones

Major Bones's Gamercard
Nice work Luke, How much time did it take you to finally master babel?
Major Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:25 AM   #10
luke391

Admiral Vic's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Bones View Post
Nice work Luke, How much time did it take you to finally master babel?
Like...

9 hours of Altar ><
5 tries for Meh (no clue how they break down... lets say 2.5)
10 hours of Ob (found out a trick)
17+ for Axis Mundi

so like... 30+
Old 08-04-2011, 02:47 AM   #11
FeLizP
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to FeLizP Send a message via Yahoo to FeLizP Send a message via Skype™ to FeLizP

FeLizP's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Like...

9 hours of Altar ><
5 tries for Meh (no clue how they break down... lets say 2.5)
10 hours of Ob (found out a trick)
17+ for Axis Mundi

so like... 30+
Marvelous job Luke! It's great to finally here that someone finished the game legit. Were you online when you unlocked the "Cheers" achievement? I heard from another person in the forums that he had to be online in order for it to unlock which is odd.

At any rate, it would be very helpful if you let some of us in on how you were able to pull all the Babel Stages. You know like leave a mini guide on some strategies you used to finish Altar, Menhir, Obelisk, and Axis Mundi. I'm itching to know your trick to Obelisk.

I'll be posting the Catherine FAQ tomorrow in the forums and Id love to add your bits to it if you don't mind as you brought out Babel is not so much random but pre-set.

Oh and one other thing, you don't seem to have a gamercard here on the website so I can't get linked to your xbox.com profile. What's your Xbox Live gamertag? I was going to check if you Cheers achievement had a date on it to confirm if it needed to be online but your card is nowhere to be seen on the left, that's why I'm asking for your GT.

Congrats again on the 1000. Definitely takes some above average skill to pull off. You should be very proud of yourself to 1000 a game that make other people cringe from the difficulty.

Last edited by FeLizP; 08-04-2011 at 02:51 AM.
FeLizP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:36 AM   #12
guesswork

If you're referring to my post, check my achievements (gt: Nooblike). I was finishing up the endings and the last achievements I got were the "true freedom ending" one and "Dreams come true". Then I logged on to finally unlock "Cheers!" which is dated.
guesswork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:09 AM   #13
luke391

Admiral Vic's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeLizP View Post
Congrats again on the 1000. Definitely takes some above average skill to pull off. You should be very proud of yourself to 1000 a game that make other people cringe from the difficulty.
Oh im a PS3 gamer (and named Grant lol), but the PS3 trophy sites are filled with annoying idiots who don't know shit from shat... I stopped posting there when people told me I couldn't give my impression of Final Fantasy XIII (which I had in December since it was Japanese) without the platinum, but random Japanese people on 2ch had more validity than my opinion. Thus I came here where people are helpful and things work out well.

^^;; sorry if thats a problem. I still have 63 more Rap stages to finish and am currently working on them, but finishing Axis Mundi was the game breaker thus I just jumped the gun >.>;; (I can have my moment right?)

Since you did ask heres all the proof I can give you!

Heres my leaderboard score for Ob I was quite happy with it

and my score for Axis Mundi (sorry its all zoomed in ><)

Menhir trophy

Altar trophy

Random gold awards I dont recall which stages...

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=f42f1...1381&sc=photos

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=f42f1...1394&sc=photos (I think this is 6...)

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=f42f1...1396&sc=photos (obviously stage 9)

Golden Child

and since you asked Axis Mundi

Heres a video of me playing on day like 2 or 3... you can see the game states "goal" and the PATHETIC time of 8:27... It's about winning not winning fast if you ask me. I do fail in the video and I made some mistakes, but it was more so to help people notice chains than to be "impressive".

If you look at the tips/tricks post which I wrote a while back (and prob should fix...) all the information syncs up. I write for the site (thus the video) my posts link to my twitter and the pictures here are from that. They link to pictures on my skydrive which is the of the same name. (do I get any perks for having a windows phone at least... just asking?)

When I get cheers in a couple of hours ill post that... that is if you don't believe me =P. In either case sadly I do plan on doing a trophy/achievement guide for the site with everything I learned. I might be hard to understand at times, but I try to include as many helpful hints as I can. I can tell you the person I was doing them with (spoon) used my Ob trick which allowed him to beat it in 3 tries.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:38 AM   #14
FeLizP
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to FeLizP Send a message via Yahoo to FeLizP Send a message via Skype™ to FeLizP

FeLizP's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guesswork View Post
If you're referring to my post, check my achievements (gt: Nooblike). I was finishing up the endings and the last achievements I got were the "true freedom ending" one and "Dreams come true". Then I logged on to finally unlock "Cheers!" which is dated.
Oh my god, YOU'E Nooblike I saw your tag in the leaderboards today what a coincidence! I actually find your gt to be quite amusing. Seeing as it's relatively misleading with all you have accompished.

Yeah I was referring to your post to nice call. Guess this makes you the first(non hacker) to 1000 Catherine on the Xbox 360. You should register on trueachievements to get the recognition you deserve.

Quote:
Oh im a PS3 gamer (and named Grant lol), but the PS3 trophy sites are filled with annoying idiots who don't know shit from shat... I stopped posting there when people told me I couldn't give my impression of Final Fantasy XIII (which I had in December since it was Japanese) without the platinum, but random Japanese people on 2ch had more validity than my opinion. Thus I came here where people are helpful and things work out well.

^^;; sorry if thats a problem. I still have 63 more Rap stages to finish and am currently working on them, but finishing Axis Mundi was the game breaker thus I just jumped the gun >.>;; (I can have my moment right?)

Since you did ask heres all the proof I can give you!

Heres my leaderboard score for Ob I was quite happy with it

and my score for Axis Mundi (sorry its all zoomed in ><)

Menhir trophy

Altar trophy

Random gold awards I dont recall which stages...

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=f42f12dad39ba321&sc=photos&client=wnf&Bsrc=TW ITRAPXX&Bpub=SN.Notifications&id=F42F12DAD39BA321% 21398&sff=1#cid=F42F12DAD39BA321&id=F42F12DAD39BA3 21%21381&sc=photos

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=f42f12dad39ba321&sc=photos&client=wnf&Bsrc=TW ITRAPXX&Bpub=SN.Notifications&id=F42F12DAD39BA321% 21398&sff=1#cid=F42F12DAD39BA321&id=F42F12DAD39BA3 21%21394&sc=photos (I think this is 6...)

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=f42f12dad39ba321&sc=photos&client=wnf&Bsrc=TW ITRAPXX&Bpub=SN.Notifications&id=F42F12DAD39BA321% 21398&sff=1#cid=F42F12DAD39BA321&id=F42F12DAD39BA3 21%21396&sc=photos (obviously stage 9)

Golden Child

and since you asked Axis Mundi

&#x202a;Catherine Babel- Altar Gameplay Video&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube
Heres a video of me playing on day like 2 or 3... you can see the game states "goal" and the PATHETIC time of 8:27... It's about winning not winning fast if you ask me. I do fail in the video and I made some mistakes, but it was more so to help people notice chains than to be "impressive".

If you look at the tips/tricks post which I wrote a while back (and prob should fix...) all the information syncs up. I write for the site (thus the video) my posts link to my twitter and the pictures here are from that. They link to pictures on my skydrive which is the of the same name. (do I get any perks for having a windows phone at least... just asking?)

When I get cheers in a couple of hours ill post that... that is if you don't believe me =P. In either case sadly I do plan on doing a trophy/achievement guide for the site with everything I learned. I might be hard to understand at times, but I try to include as many helpful hints as I can. I can tell you the person I was doing them with (spoon) used my Ob trick which allowed him to beat it in 3 tries.
Lengthy post haha but I did ask a lot of questions. I never doubted you Luke, you definitely knew what you were talking about when it came to Babel strategies you obviously have nothing to gain by bluffing I believed you all the way I just figured it would be nice of you to let us in on your exploits for Babel.

I had no clue PS3 trophies was a hostile website. But when it comes to a series like Final Fantasy you better be able to back up your claims as it's a prestigous series that big fans are ready to defend no matter what. What happened? Did you tell them you you liked Sazh? Lol Really I never even played FF13 but people seem to love debating over different aspects of the game. People should learn that not everyone in the world can agree with them, and Luke you should not let that stop you from using the site in my opinion. Don't let jerks stop you from doing the things you enjoy. But I digress.

Being a PS3 gamer is not an issue it seems everything you have left here will be very useful regardless. I find 360a to be very helpful but no matter where you go, you're going to have your fair share of douche-ery in some of the forums with over opinionated, dogmatic, twerps. I guess this website just has fewer of them? Anyway I'm going to check out all your stuff that you posted here. Everybody gets ahead of themself sometimes and honetly if I got Axis Mundi earlier than the Rapunzel stuff than I would pretty much prematurely announce that I basically had the 1000 too!

Last edited by FeLizP; 08-04-2011 at 05:52 AM.
FeLizP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:02 AM   #15
luke391

Admiral Vic's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeLizP View Post
Lengthy post haha but I did ask a lot of questions. I never doubted you Luke, you definitely knew what you were talking about when it came to Babel startegies you obviously have nothing to gain by bluffing I believed you all the way I just figured it would be nice of to let us in on your tricks for Babel.

I had no clue PS3 trophies was a hostile website. But when it comes to a series like Final Fantasy you better be able to back up your claims as it's a prestigous series that big fans are ready to defend/ What happened? Did you tell them you you liked Sazh? Lol Really I never even played FF13 but people seem to love debating over different aspects of the game. People should learn that not everyone in the world can agree with them, and Luke you should not let that stop you from using the site In my opinion. Don't let jerks stop you from doing the things you enjoy. But I digress.

Being a PS3 gamer is not an issue it seems everything you have left here will be very useful regardless. I find 360 to be very helpful but no matter where you go, you're going to have your fair share of douche-ery in some of the forums with over opinionated, dogmatic, twerps. I guess this website just has fewer of them? Anyway I'm going to check out all your stuff that you posted here. Everybody gets ahead of themself sometimes and honetly if I got Axis Mundi earlier than I would pretty much prematurely announce that I basically had the 1000 too!
Well I wouldnt have given so many things if they weren't sitting around lol. I mean I tweeted a lot of the stuff I posted since I tend to write trophy guides (since im PS3 side, but they work either or) when I finish and generally don't write guides for things I haven't personally done.

As far as XIII I said it was a platinum difficulty of 4 (maybe I said 5... but I think I said 4) to which people DEMANDED I either give proof of the full complete or stfu. While this wouldn't have been an issue XIII is a special case. Anyone who's played it knows that the right strat > stats. In fact I had to lower my stats to get top rank on many missions.

Upon saying 4 people were saying I out of line, this is bullshit, I am wrong. Citing many people on 2ch to which I say... how is some guy in Japan more creditable than myself? God knows any game no matter how easy has people complaining on the forums about difficulty. God knows many people claim Catherine is EXTREMELY high and while I agree its hard... I pulled it off rather fast. IE it wasnt as hard for me as X Y Z. When you get into things like opinion (which I never liked trophy difficulties but since there were so many posts I wanted to assist people with my 2 cents) as long as its valid thats all that matters. After pages of people saying I had no right to comment and other people who lacked the task were more valid (logic?) they progressed to rules. I dont know what the rules are here, but there you only need to have played the game, have some time on it and thats really it. The full platinum/1,000 were never required.

Since I was sick of people tell me my opinion didnt matter it was hard to justify assisting people there. I happen to like helping people (im the guides editor and community manager at VG for gods sake + I post my tips here no biggie) I took it elsewhere. I changed my name here because I figured someone might look to continue the fight. (I believe the same people owned or own the sites) Thats the gist anyways. The official rating average is like 6.5 and 7 - 5 are the most common answers. The only really sad thing is that the main person fighting me (who lacked he game) went on to become member of the month and later a mod. -shakes head-

Well I would have the platinum by now... but we also share a trophy list with Japan. So I didnt get the first platinum (maybe the first US one when I get it), but the 200th+ one.

Doubt anyone still cares but here you go. The platinum!

Last edited by luke391; 08-04-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #16
Sen

bryanto1989's Gamercard
Hi Luke, I noticed you said you saw a trick in Obelisk. I'm just wondering if you can share the trick. I've been stuck on Obelisk the past few days. Furthest I made was 128
Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #17
luke391

Admiral Vic's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen View Post
Hi Luke, I noticed you said you saw a trick in Obelisk. I'm just wondering if you can share the trick. I've been stuck on Obelisk the past few days. Furthest I made was 128
Sadly I am working on a trophy guide for the site I write for (almost done if it matters); so all my information will be compiled there. If you would like to read that you're more than welcomed, but beyond that im not going to spam it.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #18
guesswork

Hey luke, I have a sneaking suspicion as to why my game differs a lot between all youtube playthroughs of Axis. Did you gold the levels on hard or normal first? Because when I play Axis on my 360 (from beating the game on hard with all gold), I get the real difficult starting game of non-stop checkerboard. But, when I played my friend's copy (PS3 - beat it on Normal), the drops are significantly easier 100% of the time and resemble the drops consistent with the Youtube videos.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:00 AM   #19
luke391

Admiral Vic's Gamercard
Quote:
Hey luke, I have a sneaking suspicion as to why my game differs a lot between all youtube playthroughs of Axis. Did you gold the levels on hard or normal first? Because when I play Axis on my 360 (from beating the game on hard with all gold), I get the real difficult starting game of non-stop checkerboard. But, when I played my friend's copy (PS3 - beat it on Normal), the drops are significantly easier 100% of the time and resemble the drops consistent with the Youtube videos.
I beat hard, but I wouldn't be shocked; though I doubt it. The japanese wiki lists it as a "rare" build so it might be more common under certain conditions. The only thing that makes me believe your theory is bunk is the leaderboard. I think it would be INSULTING and STUPID to make the game easier for people whom have less skill and then give them higher leaderboard spots.

Either or very interesting. My whole logic is the japanese wiki states its just an uncommon drop pattern and the leaderboard.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:39 AM   #20
guesswork

Well, it's certainly not rare for my friend's game. Every time we load up Axis on his game, pieces always stack wide, even until the normal/brittle block checkerboard. And my game always has narrow block drops with very little room for error beginning from the 2nd drop. I might load some pictures of both versions for comparison later because the difference is night and day. Playing his game is a refresher and quite enjoyable :P
Old 08-06-2011, 01:43 AM   #21
luke391

Admiral Vic's Gamercard
Quote:
Well, it's certainly not rare for my friend's game. Every time we load up Axis on his game, pieces always stack wide, even until the normal/brittle block checkerboard. And my game always has narrow block drops with very little room for error beginning from the 2nd drop. I might load some pictures of both versions for comparison later because the difference is night and day. Playing his game is a refresher and quite enjoyable :P
Thats interesting. Mind if I add this to my guide? (you will be credited of course) it might help a LOT of people. Since I get the checkerboard stuff.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:49 AM   #22
guesswork

Sure. It's a bit inconclusive, but I'll try to get pictures up to show the difference I see.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:22 AM   #23
luke391

Admiral Vic's Gamercard
Quote:
Sure. It's a bit inconclusive, but I'll try to get pictures up to show the difference I see.
Well generally when you note it some people will go after it and the second you're wrong you'll be informed. If not then no one will say anything lol (maybe thank you though)
Old 08-06-2011, 03:13 AM   #24
guesswork

Axis comparison -

360 (all Gold on Hard):

PS3 (all Gold on Normal):

Interesting difference I just noticed: My Xbox game hits level 2 way too early.

Last edited by guesswork; 08-06-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:32 AM   #25
luke391

Admiral Vic's Gamercard
Quote:
Axis comparison -

360 (all Gold on Hard):

PS3 (all Gold on Normal):

Interesting difference I just noticed: My Xbox game hits level 2 way too early.
Nah mine hits level 2 around 5 steps too.

Is yours closer to this?

I honestly think I was screwed from the start LOL
Old 08-06-2011, 03:50 AM   #26
guesswork

Yup, that looks more like my games. And not way early, but my friend's PS3 game plus the videos I've seen online hit level 2 at around 18-19.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:42 AM   #27
Jordbrett

jordbrett84's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I wish mine looked like the ps3 ones.

Jordbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:54 AM   #28
luke391

Admiral Vic's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordbrett View Post
I wish mine looked like the ps3 ones.
The video I posted was from the PS3 version...

@ PS3's Gukoff... dont run your mouth like you know what you're talking about... its quite unbecoming.

Last edited by luke391; 08-07-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #29
KongQuest

KongQuest's Gamercard
Edit: deleted

Last edited by KongQuest; 02-04-2014 at 12:04 AM.
KongQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #30
Haruya

Yuril Haruya's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by KongQuest View Post
Interesting stuff here... So whats the deal?
Babel on 360/PS3 are the same, correct?
That's the thing. I have tried Axis Mundi on my 360 over 100 times and not even once did I get a block layout like the ones on YouTube vids and the PS3 screenshots posted above. What's more, all you have to do is look at the XBOX Live Leaderboard and you'll see even the top 10 players can barely even make it to 50 steps. And also, I'm not gonna say I'm the best at this game, but I have certainly cleared the other 3 stages and my GT is there on the Leaderboards as proof, and I don't wanna think that, even after that, Axis Mundi is just "impossible". lol

Still, I refuse to believe this is an XBOX-only situation... but, I don't know for how much longer.

Would love to see how players are ranking up on the PS3 Leaderboard.
Haruya is offline   Reply With Quote