PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Call of Juarez: The Cartel
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
TASSANEE

Tassanee's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Talking A Real Gamers Review of The Cartel

From someone who doesn't get paid to review games.

This was a qoute from the writer of "The Cartel"

"He actually understood and appreciated the tone of the game. Amazing..."
- Haris Orkin
Old 08-07-2011, 02:09 AM   #2
1morey

sk8tbdkid's Gamercard
I got to say I enjoyed the review. What's ironic about him saying "it felt like you are in an 80s action movie", when I watched the "Reveal Trailer" made me think the same thing. And I was also flabbergasted by the song choice. Of course it always confuses me why people think the story is unrealistic. It seems nowadays in film and video games people are complaining when something "isn't" realistic. I mean come on. People complained about Indy 4 when he survived a nuke by hiding in a fridge. So what, it's fictional. Oh well, everyone is entitled to their opinions, i guess.

The one thing that bugged me, not in a negative way, but I am waiting for someone to make it into a meme, was how many times enemies would blurt, "It's like shooting fish in a barrel homes."

OFF TOPIC: Minty, if you are reading this, I am not hating on the reviewer, I just thought it was a bit harsh. And, don't take this as a personal thing, but like you said everyone is entitled to their opinion. I thought The Cartel was a good game. Just because others didn't like it doesn't mean it is a bad game. Every game has their lovers and haters. So don't state as a fact, that if a game got a bad review, it is a bad game.

1morey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
Capn Franky

Capn Franky's Gamercard
In before minty locks it due to it being a discussion vaugley related to 360as poor review, this sites admins are almost as bad as the majority of users. Locking a topic because we are moaning?

It's called discussing and sharing opinions that some may agree with some may not hence 'Forum', yes it's a middle of the road game but this sites score of 35 is waaaay below the middle and fair, this guy gets it right.
Capn Franky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
The Pants Party
You're Not Invited

Za Pantsupati's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Diamond   Staff - Super Moderator   Micro Guide - Platinum   15,000 Posts   Staff Club - Never Final   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - The Pants Party   Staff Club - AOS Puck   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   Referrals - Gold
Total Awards: 20 (more» ...)
Well, to the OP: not a single member of our staff, including the admins and reviewers, are paid, so we as well are "real" gamers whatever that means.

There's a reason we don't open comments on the review news articles anymore (we used to). All people do is bitch about this and that or the other thing. End of the day, it's their opinion. Not everyone is going to share it. They didn't like the game, maybe you did or just didn't hate it as much. I've disagreed with plenty of reviews on our own site, most recently EDF: IA. Doesn't mean I'm going to give the other person shit about it. What I'm going to do? I'm going to play the demo of every game I'm interested in, or just take my chances if I think it looks cool from previews and gameplay vids and buy it... and I'm going to make up my own mind.

I suggest everyone else do the same. I also suggest you read our reviews of course, but don't take them as gospel... and don't be a prick about it if you disagree.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
The Pants Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
1morey

sk8tbdkid's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pants Party View Post
Well, to the OP: not a single member of our staff, including the admins and reviewers, are paid, so we as well are "real" gamers whatever that means.

There's a reason we don't open comments on the review news articles anymore (we used to). All people do is bitch about this and that or the other thing. End of the day, it's their opinion. Not everyone is going to share it. They didn't like the game, maybe you did or just didn't hate it as much. I've disagreed with plenty of reviews on our own site, most recently EDF: IA. Doesn't mean I'm going to give the other person shit about it. What I'm going to do? I'm going to play the demo of every game I'm interested in, or just take my chances if I think it looks cool from previews and gameplay vids and buy it... and I'm going to make up my own mind.

I suggest everyone else do the same. I also suggest you read our reviews of course, but don't take them as gospel... and don't be a prick about it if you disagree.
QFT, Yes, sorry about everything. Didn't mean to get it out of hand. I mean, I'll admit, I'm not a big Sci-Fi person (I do however enjoy anything Star Wars, Fallout, Turok, and Dead Space looks pretty neat), but I am not fond of Halo or Mass Effect. But I am not going to tell people to not buy it because I think their over-hyped. People can buy whatever they want. And I'm sorry that this got out of hand.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
pandaliamcod6

xG i GeNoCiDeZ's Gamercard
Call of juarez had a original game series, until they went and blew and turned it into another modern shooter.

50,000 G 28/01/2013
pandaliamcod6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
Capn Franky

Capn Franky's Gamercard
Very true pants, Although they are one persons opinion and indeed not everyone agrees with it I don't however think that minty locking a thread discussing said review is the best way to deal with it, we didn't harm anybody in the discussion and it wasn't taking up room in the forum.

I don't know, some people (myself indefinite) just like to bitch, we are all gamers and share a passion for it so live and let live I say!
Capn Franky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
jackanape
Duchess Gummybuns

jackanape's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Shiftie   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - rekikire   Staff Club - Shinobi273   Staff - Super Moderator   Road Map - Platinum   A+ Thread Award   Green Thumb - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   CABS Beta Tester   Staff Club - TemporalWizard
Total Awards: 38 (more» ...)
Just to clarify - I don't mind if you disagree with my review, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, if you can honestly read my review and say that the issues I mentioned aren't present then I'd have to say you were amazingly fortunate. Also, saying that I'm just being lazy/hating the game etc is pretty insulting as I put plenty of time and effort into each and every review and make sure to play the game as much as possible before doing a write up. Not to mention the fact I DON'T get paid to write reviews.

I've played the whole game three times through (once in co-op and twice solo) and had glitches and problems each and every time.

No offence to the OP but I'd also question the legitimacy/bias present from someone that runs the COJ fan group and quotes the developers directly - so where did this 'real gamers' review pop up from?

Last edited by jackanape; 09-08-2011 at 09:12 AM.
jackanape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:09 AM   #9
Marketman316

Marketman316's Gamercard
I actually quite enjoyed the game-the first run through. Now i am nearly at the end of my 2nd run through and i am sick of it, i think if you play it not expecting much and you just want the points then you won't be disappointed but its a 5/10 game because of the substandard graphics, frequent bugs which make you restart chapters-doors not opening, no level markers, horrendous driving sections etc. Rent it, 1000g it, forget about it
Old 10-25-2011, 12:06 AM   #10
1morey

sk8tbdkid's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaliamcod6 View Post
Call of juarez had a original game series, until they went and blew and turned it into another modern shooter.
*5 hours of uncontrollable laughter*...*wipes tears*, oh, sorry. I always have fits of humor when I see that about The Cartel. If anything The Cartel is anything BUT a modern shooter. "What are you talking about?", you ask. Well, this game is a Neo-Western. Essentially if you took Walker Texas Ranger (even though I despise Chuck jokes), The El Mariachi trilogy, and No Country for Old Men, you would get Call of Juarez: The Cartel.