PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Call of Duty: Black Ops
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
XGC Bobwell12

a vicious panda's Gamercard
Is gaming a sport? Yes or no?

After reading this topic:
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=322516

I've found that a lot of people have different views to gaming. Some saying that gaming is a sport while others disagree. I would like to see what the popular vote is and move on.

I believe gaming is sport due to the fact that you need skill, team, and some physical "exertion". I've played football (HS and college), run in track, went to weight lifting comp., and gamed in local tournments. There is not much difference between all of them except for the AMOUNT of physical activity.

So. . .

Is gaming a sport?
XGC Bobwell12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
Minty

Send a message via MSN to Minty Send a message via Skype™ to Minty

Minty x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Minty   x360a Representer   Referrals - Gold   15,000 Posts   GamerScore League Season 9 Winner   PAX Meet 2010   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   GSL 8 MVP   Donator - Level 5   x360a Book Club   Submit - Bronze   Bright Idea
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
It's called gaming, not sporting. What do you think?!

Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #3
The Elite Elite

The Elite Elite's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGC Bobwell12 View Post
I believe gaming is sport due to the fact that you need skill, team, and some physical "exertion".
About as much physical "exertion" as golf. And I laugh whenever someone calls golf a sport, so I think my answer is pretty obvious. No, I don't think it's a sport.
The Elite Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
Rep

Send a message via AIM to Rep Send a message via Skype™ to Rep

Mainstream's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   XBA Promoter   Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
A sport is - an active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition.

When you're gaming, you're usually sitting down on a couch watching the screen. It doesn't take any hand eye coordination as long as you know where the buttons are.

No, I don't think gaming is a sport.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
HugTheBear

FuzzyDonkeyLegs's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Nope... It's a hobby... & the day it is considered a "sport" is the day I will lose all faith in humans.
HugTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
MORON2

Sport is a type of physical activity so gaming woudn't be sport since you're usually sitting down. Golf wouldn't be classed as sport either since your just standing there. If you ran while gaming, gaming still woudn't be classed as sport the running would.
MORON2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #7
corymonster1

Corymonster1's Gamercard
No it's not a sport, your doing any physical activity aside from getting up for the occasional soda or snack.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
Kraderic
Banned User

And this thread belongs in this forum, why? I do believe there's an off-topic section.
Kraderic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:52 AM   #9
Rivercurse

Send a message via Skype™ to Rivercurse

Rivercurse's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Lolsport.

10 char
Rivercurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:23 AM   #10
Dz06lt

DZ06LT's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts
sport hell no its a hobby or a pastime
Old 08-11-2011, 01:31 AM   #11
BluWolve
Subscribing Member

BluWolve's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 5   Subscriber - Platinum   Submit - Silver   A+ Thread Award   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Gaming is a "Mind Sport" same as Poker etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty-Rex View Post
I am trained in gorilla warfare
BluWolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:44 AM   #12
DEG23
Robot Mode: Engaged

DEG23 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - DEG23   Donator - Level 5   CABS Beta Tester   Staff - Moderator   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Rajeanero   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Staff Club - Shinobi273
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
I think obese children would call it a sport, in the same way i consider golf a sport because i don't like running.

Maybe in the future when games evolve to a point where we suit up in electronic battle gear and run around in a simulation room, then it might be a sport. Ahhh one can dream
DEG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:45 AM   #13
ZacAttack159357

AtR ZacAttack's Gamercard

well i guess if ur playing wii
as it involves "physical excursion" and u can play with up 2 4 ppl like a tennis game involving 2 ppl on each side
30000 Gamerscore: A Knife to the Heart-50G (AC: Brotherhood)

GT: AtR ZacAttack

Last edited by ZacAttack159357; 08-11-2011 at 02:47 AM.
ZacAttack159357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:47 AM   #14
loganm223

PanicGull's Gamercard
Gaming is a sport in it's own right, you can't compare sports and gaming because they are to completely different games

loganm223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:31 AM   #15
Zombiedrd

Zombiedrd's Gamercard

No. It is a money killer
200,000-?
Zombiedrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:53 AM   #16
Frozenghost001

Frozenghost001's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
well gaming overall is not considered a sport, since it does not involve physical activity like almost everybody above me said. however if you were playing a kinect game or playing the wii, then yes it would be considered a sport because you are moving your body and technically being "active".
Frozenghost001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:21 AM   #17
ConfederateSuga

Send a message via MSN to ConfederateSuga

Spiritual's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
This isn't 19fucking61 and baseball isn't our national passtime anymore. Times have changed and the conservative lifestyle is dying off. And as every generation grows, the times will change. In 50 years time, who's to say that video gaming won't be one of the world's biggest sports? And seeing as there are far more liberal-minded people this generation than conservative types, the traditional requisites for what defines the term "sport" may change entirely. We're all seeing it now. When I was a kid, pro sports was the best thing in the world. Now it's all a fucking joke. Baseball and its steroid scandal, basketball (which I used to adore) has been reduced to who can make the most stylish dunk and non-chalant ghetto trash flaunting about their bling and selling retarded looking mesh apparel, football has been reduced to nothing here in Ohio with the OSU scandal and the Browns/Bengals inability to do ANYTHING! And hockey....lol there are a lot of people 'round here that would tell you straight up that hockey isn't a sport. And soccer is about the most feminine sport on planet fucking Earth. Whoever thinks it's cool to run up and down a field with 500 other guys, chasing an oreo ball while wearing REALLY GAY short shorts, a tight skin shirt, knee socks and cleats is fucking GAY. We used to have words for people that dressed like that. Fags. Dorks....stuff like that.

But yeah, back to the topic at hand. The stuff that I thought was cool as a kid is no longer that appealing to me. Hell, I used to think playing Pogs with my friends was a competitive sport, and who is anyone else to say it wasn't? If video game tournaments draw in big crowds, generate lots of revenue and captivate the minds of our youth, then I think that, to me, will define it as a sport. Fuck all the technical descriptions and what-not, because I can list 100 things that aren't "physically exerting" that people consider sports. IE: Stock car racing. It's a guy in a car making left turns for 4 hours. The only thing that's even remotely exerting aboiut that is that the drivers sweat their asses off in those flame-retardant suits lmao. And I dare you to tell a die hard Nascar fan that racing isn't a sport. So it's all in what we as a society want to label it.

Last edited by ConfederateSuga; 08-11-2011 at 04:49 AM.
ConfederateSuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:24 AM   #18
ZacAttack159357

AtR ZacAttack's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfederateSuga View Post
This isn't 19fucking61 and baseball isn't our national passtime anymore. Times have changed and the conservative lifestyle is dying off. And as every generation grows, the times will change. In 50 years time, who's to say that video gaming won't be one of the world's biggest sports? And seeing as there are far more liberal-minded people this generation than conservative types, the traditional requisites for what defines the term "sport" may change entirely. We're all seeing it now. When I was a kid, pro sports was the best thing in the world. Now it's all a fucking joke. Baseball and its steroid scandal, basketball (which I used to adore) has been reduced to who can make the most stylish dunk and non-chalant ghetto trash flaunting about their bling and selling retarded looking mesh apparel, football has been reduced to nothing here in Ohio with the OSU scandal and the Browns/Bengals inability to do ANYTHING! And hockey....lol there are a lot of people 'round here that would tell you straight up isn't a sport. And soccer is about the most feminine sport on planet fucking Earth. Whoever thinks it's cool to run up and down a field with 500 other guys, chasing an oreo ball while wearing REALLY GAY short shorts, a tight skin shirt, knee socks and cleats is fucking GAY. We used to have words for people that dressed like that. Fags. Dorks....stuff like that.

But yeah, back to the topic at hand. The stuff that I thought was cool as a kid is no longer that appealing to me. Hell, I used to think playing Pogs with my friends was a competitive sport, and who is anyone else to say it wasn't? If video game tournaments draw in big crowds, generate lots of revenue and captivate the minds of our youth, then I think that, to me, will define it as a sport. Fuck all the technical descriptions and what-not, because I can list 100 things that aren't "physically exerting" that people consider sports. IE: Stock car racing. It's a guy in a car making left turns for 4 hours. The only thing that's even remotely exerting aboiut that is that the drivers sweat their asses off in those flame-retardant suits lmao. And I dare you to tell a die hard Nascar fan that racing isn't a sport. So it's all in what we as a society want to label it.
actually in a poll 60% preferred a conservative party lol
30000 Gamerscore: A Knife to the Heart-50G (AC: Brotherhood)

GT: AtR ZacAttack
ZacAttack159357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:39 AM   #19
ConfederateSuga

Send a message via MSN to ConfederateSuga

Spiritual's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
A poll of what age group? I guarantee if you if they polled 14-25 year olds, it would be hands down a liberal win. And you know how polls are. According to polls, Al Gore should've won in 2000 and Hilary Clinton would've beaten Obama in 08 lol. As a Christian with loose, but firm values and knowing how the majority of the people I know are, it's just hard to believe. I respect everyone's rights as a human being, which is why I had that "if it makes you happy, do it" attitude in my previous post. And conservatives are also changing the way they think, Zack. I don't know if you've noticed lately, but the GoP frontrunners for the 2012 election are NOT traditionalists when it comes to conservatism, and I bet less than half of them know the literal difference between being liberal/democrat and conservative/republican. Look at Ron Paul....he claims that he has firm, conservative values, and yet he wants to legalize EVERYTHING. He even said on Jon Stewart (I think that's what it was), that were he to become president, he would legalize all forms of (what we consider) illicit drugs, prostitution and gambling. There's nothing conservative about that at all lmao. And Mit Romney, who I have a strong feeling will win the GoP nod this go-around, doesn't have a chance of winning an election against Obama, or any Christian candidate simply due to the fact that he's a Mormon. I have nothing against Mormons, but just wait and see what the extremist right does when he's their candidate. Not a good time for America .

But yeah, gaming's a sport if you want to think it's a sport. Not everyone will agree with you, but it IS an activity, whether you want to admit it or not. Just like I believe that soccer's a sport for fags and Eurotrash, I don't deny that it's a sport. Just as non-gamers would most likely view competitve gaming as a sport for lazy and fat people lol. There's always going to be stereotypes. I mean, POOL....BILLIARDS is a sport and no one will deny that and there's absolutely NOTHING physically exerting about it lol.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:04 AM   #20
mrphaaantastic

mrphaaantastic's Gamercard
Gaming is not really a sport rather than a hobby
mrphaaantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:12 AM   #21
Coadster1

Coadster1 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Representer   2,500 Posts   Word of Mouth   Road Map - Bronze   Submit - Gold
I think MLG and GSL make gaming look more like a sport. I see a sport as any competitive game type. But, is it really a sport? Not really. If ESPN can call poker a sport and have it on their channel, I think gaming as a good shot at becoming a sport. As technology advances, maybe some day in the future, gaming will expand and competitive gaming will become appealing to all age groups and then become a sport. But, in this present day and age, I would have to say that it's not a sport.

Seriously 3.0 (4/17/12)
Unlocking Seriously 3.0 (Click)

1 - HELL Difficulty Mode Cleared. (9/3/12)
(Achievement to hit 100K)
Hitting 100,000 GamerScore (Click)

TrueAchievements
Coadster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:42 AM   #22
TpYourHouse

Send a message via Yahoo to TpYourHouse

TpYourHouse's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
So the only thing that defines a sport is sweating? If so there needs to be a better definition lol. That's the only requirement? And yes, this does belong in the off topic section.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:50 AM   #23
BluWolve
Subscribing Member

BluWolve's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 5   Subscriber - Platinum   Submit - Silver   A+ Thread Award   1,000 Posts
I said it once and I will say it again, Video Games are classed as a "Mind Sport" so yes, they are technically sports. So are Board games and Card games etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TpYourHouse View Post
So the only thing that defines a sport is sweating? If so there needs to be a better definition lol. That's the only requirement? And yes, this does belong in the off topic section.
The oldest definition of sport is actually "anything humans find amusing or entertaining"

Quote:

Last edited by BluWolve; 08-11-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:54 AM   #24
StayonTarget
Goggles Anybody?

Send a message via Skype™ to StayonTarget

TheStayonTarget's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Micro Guide - Platinum   Subscriber - Bronze   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Minty
Total Awards: 19 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty View Post
This. Or a hobby maybe.

Thanks to Rajeanero for the sig!
StayonTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:59 AM   #25
BluWolve
Subscribing Member

BluWolve's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty View Post
This is a very ignorant comment. "Kicking" a football is not called "Sporting" so does that mean it's not a sport?

Quote:
Old 08-11-2011, 07:09 AM   #26
SpinalSynopsis

SpinalSynopsis's Gamercard
You play a video game.....thus it's called gaming. Sports require at the very least, body movement (no, moving your fingers does not count). Not all sports are strenuous (Ex.Curling), but they do require you to get off the couch. When you throw a frisbee, you could call the leisure activity a game, but that would be splitting hairs.

Last edited by SpinalSynopsis; 08-11-2011 at 07:11 AM.
SpinalSynopsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:25 AM   #27
Andreas_loel

mr fiskeh's Gamercard

Seeing as the trends nowadays can get you paid, i would just say that gaming is one of those paying hobbys.

I rather see people get paid for playing games and compete at a high level, instead of assholes getting paid for talking shit on their blogs.

But no its not a sport

Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDoggson
Andreas_loel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:16 AM   #28
BluWolve
Subscribing Member

BluWolve's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinalSynopsis View Post
You play a video game.....thus it's called gaming. Sports require at the very least, body movement (no, moving your fingers does not count). Not all sports are strenuous (Ex.Curling), but they do require you to get off the couch. When you throw a frisbee, you could call the leisure activity a game, but that would be splitting hairs.
But then you have Kinect, Wii, Playstation Moove, all these Video Game activites require you to get off the couch (for the most part) so by your own definition you are saying that this is classified as sport, but using a conventional controller is not?

Like I said "Mind Sports." Go look up the definition.

Of course you would not place playing a WWE wrestling game in the same category as actually physically being a WWE wrestler but they are both different types of sport.

I guess it is just always going to be a matter of opinion.

Quote:
Old 08-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #29
TPF_Raiden

iGrimoireWeissi's Gamercard
Gaming is a hobby not a sport. You wouldn't called playing Warhammer a sport...Or Magic: The gathering.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #30
Lurgilurg

Lurgilurg's Gamercard
Nope not a sport. But I would love to go pro and get paid for it if it was lol