PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Call of Duty: Black Ops
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #31
Purple Hooter
Banned User

Purple Hooter's Gamercard
No, it is a hobby.

I've played ice hockey my whole life, so my comparison is as follows:

How could it be under the same definition as sport, when I am playing hockey that I am physically exerting myself by skating, shooting, checking, making saves, passing, etc. Also, I have to use the skills that I have practiced over the years: puck-handling, saucer passes, dekes, learning angles from the crease, when to use butterfly saves or when to stand up to make saves, how to use "C-Cut" skating and when not to, etc. Not to mention going to practice and playing in the actual division and ranked games. Do I need to practice anything in games? no.

Finally, how about those injuries I have occured? Torn rotator cuff, damage to my knees, and a shattered foot. My video game injuries, none.

They arent even in the same realm as each other.
Purple Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #32
Minty

Send a message via MSN to Minty Send a message via Skype™ to Minty

Minty x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Minty   x360a Representer   Referrals - Gold   15,000 Posts   GamerScore League Season 9 Winner   PAX Meet 2010   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   GSL 8 MVP   Donator - Level 5   x360a Book Club   Submit - Bronze   Bright Idea
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWolve View Post
This is a very ignorant comment. "Kicking" a football is not called "Sporting" so does that mean it's not a sport?
It''s not ignorant at all. Kicking is an activity you do while playing a sport.

Gaming is it's own activity.

A sport is "Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.". Moving your thumbs and fingers is not a physical activity. The fact that some people think it is says a lot about the world as it stands.

Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #33
Toams07

Toamss's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1   XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Some of my friends consider puzzle games and Zelda-like games a form of thinking sports, and I know people who consider Kinect as sports, but no ..
Gaming isn't sporting no matter what
Toams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #34
BluWolve

BluWolve's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 5   Submit - Silver   A+ Thread Award   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty View Post
It''s not ignorant at all. Kicking is an activity you do while playing a sport.

Gaming is it's own activity.
You Play the sport you do not sport the sport. "Playing Football" is not called "Sporting Football". Gaming is the "Mind Sport", Pressing buttons and stuff is the activity you do whilst playing the "Mind Sport"

Quote:
A sport is "Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.". Moving your thumbs and fingers is not a physical activity. The fact that some people think it is says a lot about the world as it stands.
"A Mind Sport is a sport or a game of skill where the mental component is much more significant than the physical. The official bodies that use the term have over 500 million registered users"

I never said it was a Physical Sport, even Kinect, Wii and Moove don't classify as Physical Sports in my opinion (although that is right on the line and easily up for debate).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astinus, Chronicler of the History of Krynn
History should note, however, that the Light would have been doomed to failure if not for one man who chose to walk in Darkness
BluWolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #35
abstract1620

harry coinshlot's Gamercard
If gaming is a sport than so is playing mousetrap, or doing a crossword. Lets go ahead and move sudoku over to the sports section. Next winter olympics were gonna have a competition to see who can find all the hidden pictures in a highlights magazine. I think sounding like an asshole in this thread is pretty close to a sport by your standards, and im winning.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #36
Vigor

vigor mortivore's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Chess is a sport.

/thread
Vigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #37
XoNiNjAlEoNoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigor View Post
Chess is a sport.

/thread

LOOOL, so true.

Just another freak, in the freak kingdom.
XoNiNjAlEoNoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #38
Kadrmas

kadrmaster@gmail.com's Gamercard
that'd be tight
Kadrmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #39
dragonpwnr99

DragonPwnr99's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elite Elite View Post
About as much physical "exertion" as golf. And I laugh whenever someone calls golf a sport, so I think my answer is pretty obvious. No, I don't think it's a sport.
Whhaat? You need quite a bit of physical skill to play golf very well. Gaming is not a sport, at least not by the true definition of sport.
Achievements-86% Points-84%
80,000 on 8-30-14
dragonpwnr99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:23 PM   #40
SDIDDY11

SDIDDY11's Gamercard
Zombies is the only real sport
SDIDDY11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:48 PM   #41
thundercougarfalconbird

The definition of sports calls for it to be an athletic activity, so technically no, gaming is not a sport, which is why I've always wondered why NASCAR is considered a sport. I consider a sport anything in a competitive setting, athletic or not, that requires some skill so in my eyes, wrong or right, gaming is a sport, especially when there are people out there who acknowledge chess as a sport.

Probably should have read the whole thread, almost everything I said is in other peoples post.
thundercougarfalconbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:54 AM   #42
born free 1988

born free 1988's Gamercard
I totally think that gaming could be considered a competitive sport.
born free 1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #43
ZingZitang

ZingZitang's Gamercard

Quote:
Moving your thumbs and fingers is not a physical activity. The fact that some people think it is says a lot about the world as it stands.
Indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercougarfalconbird View Post
The definition of sports calls for it to be an athletic activity, so technically no, gaming is not a sport, which is why I've always wondered why NASCAR is considered a sport.
To this and the other People talking about Nascar:

Racing of any kind is very physically Exhausting. Sure the drivers might not actually be running around like a Marathon Runner, but its still takes an intense physical toll on the Driver.

On topic:

I Absolutely Think that Gaming can Be a Form of Competition, Ive even taken part in Many Gaming Competitions, but Gaming is definitely not A Sport.
ZingZitang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #44
syn201

run187's Gamercard

Maybe with a wiineck but not with a pad ,gaming could not be a sport.
I agree with zing about driving even with "another left turn " it still drains the crap out people ,you have to be in good shape to be a driver for that reason ,you dont see many fat guys with a kfc bucket on the steering column driving .waste of fuel motor sport imo.

blu wolve be it wwe or tna or even roh it is called sport,s entertainment.
Unless it is that backyard crap that gets countless people put in hospital then that would be called idiocy ..

Anyone using the terms "lad","swag","COOL STORY BRO" will be insta ignored..
syn201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #45
*Misterbeastly*

I think you could call it a sport if you only played games for the kinect.
*Misterbeastly* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #46
MxPx

MxPx's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercougarfalconbird View Post
The definition of sports calls for it to be an athletic activity, so technically no, gaming is not a sport, which is why I've always wondered why NASCAR is considered a sport. I consider a sport anything in a competitive setting, athletic or not, that requires some skill so in my eyes, wrong or right, gaming is a sport, especially when there are people out there who acknowledge chess as a sport.

Probably should have read the whole thread, almost everything I said is in other peoples post.
One has to be in ridiculous good shape in order to drive and win NASCAR races. You ever seen a fat driver? And why do you think they can do backflips and shit all the time? They're all very athletic and in good shape.

You HAVE to be in good shape to sit in a 180-degree cabin for 4+ hours at a time, while driving 190+mph.

What I want to know is...why do we consider Baseball to be a sport?
Old 08-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #47
ZacAttack159357

AtR ZacAttack's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxPx View Post
One has to be in ridiculous good shape in order to drive and win NASCAR races. You ever seen a fat driver? And why do you think they can do backflips and shit all the time? They're all very athletic and in good shape.

You HAVE to be in good shape to sit in a 180-degree cabin for 4+ hours at a time, while driving 190+mph.

What I want to know is...why do we consider Baseball to be a sport?
air conditioner... DUH (jk)
i guess because u have to run in a circle after u swing a bat
but if its a no hitter is it a sport? its just 2 guys playing catch lol
30000 Gamerscore: A Knife to the Heart-50G (AC: Brotherhood)

GT: AtR ZacAttack
ZacAttack159357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #48
Guitarr Steve

Send a message via AIM to Guitarr Steve Send a message via Yahoo to Guitarr Steve

Docter Peppa's Gamercard

Gaming is definitely not a sport, but there's a huge difference between gaming and competitive gaming (MLG). I still don't consider that a sport, though. And playing real sports (sorry golfers) helps you get better at video games in my opinion. All my friends that play sports are good at CoD, all my friends that don't suck.
It's like those parents who have their first kid, the kid is wonderful, exceeds in every aspect, then they have a second, it fails at life, sure they'll still love it, but inside they think "Oh fuck, what happened?"

Guitarr Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #49
Blueprotoss
Banned User

Unwillingshadow's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarr Steve View Post
Gaming is definitely not a sport, but there's a huge difference between gaming and competitive gaming (MLG). I still don't consider that a sport, though. And playing real sports (sorry golfers) helps you get better at video games in my opinion. All my friends that play sports are good at CoD, all my friends that don't suck.
Actually the real differnce it that MLG is the Minor leagues especially when most of the Gaming Leagues don't need the strict rules that MLG has for their "pros" to Win.
Blueprotoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #50
Guitarr Steve

Send a message via AIM to Guitarr Steve Send a message via Yahoo to Guitarr Steve

Docter Peppa's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueprotoss View Post
Actually the real differnce it that MLG is the Minor leagues especially when most of the Gaming Leagues don't need the strict rules that MLG has for their "pros" to Win.
Well I don't keep up with these "gaming leagues" anyway because they're ridiculous IMO so I wouldn't know that.
It's like those parents who have their first kid, the kid is wonderful, exceeds in every aspect, then they have a second, it fails at life, sure they'll still love it, but inside they think "Oh fuck, what happened?"

Guitarr Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:18 PM   #51
MxPx

MxPx's Gamercard

The whole concept of MLG is retarded. Its primarily Cali based right? Like everything else in CA, it tends to revolve around itself, forgetting that a world exists outside of the state.

From what I've seen watching MLG matches online...none of the players are all THAT good, save for maybe a few. I see more talent in ordinary players in ordinary matches. But because those players don't have a group of friends and a spokesperson, they don't get the recognition.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:50 PM   #52
Blueprotoss
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarr Steve View Post
Well I don't keep up with these "gaming leagues" anyway because they're ridiculous IMO so I wouldn't know that.
Thats fine. I have some friends that watch the finals of some Gaming Tournments once in a while, which they aren't MLG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxPx View Post
The whole concept of MLG is retarded. Its primarily Cali based right? Like everything else in CA, it tends to revolve around itself, forgetting that a world exists outside of the state.

From what I've seen watching MLG matches online...none of the players are all THAT good, save for maybe a few. I see more talent in ordinary players in ordinary matches. But because those players don't have a group of friends and a spokesperson, they don't get the recognition.
Agreed. I also love how most of the MLG members have to make rules that allows them to Win easier like taking away and usig certain things in matches like claymore can't be used in CoD.

Last edited by Blueprotoss; 08-16-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #53
scmark15

scmark15's Gamercard
For some its a sport (they do hold competitions an stuff), for some is a hobby/past time, for the fantasy lovers it's an escape, for hardcore its a lifestyle choice
scmark15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #54
Frozenghost001

Frozenghost001's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurgilurg View Post
Nope not a sport. But I would love to go pro and get paid for it if it was lol
you dont get paid at all if you come in anything less than 2nd if your talking about MLG. no runner up prizes. plus even if you do come in 1st only like 20% of your winnings is cash; the other 80% is sponsorship merch such as a "lifetime supply" of bic razors and doritos.

Quote:
Agreed. I also love how most of the MLG members have to make rules that allows them to Win easier like taking away and usig certain things in matches like claymore can't be used in CoD.
finally i found someone who agrees with me! if you cant play good with the normal set of rules and no restrictions, and need to eliminate things such as claymores and rapid fire attachments (just using those as examples) then you arent good.

Last edited by Frozenghost001; 08-17-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Frozenghost001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #55
Blueprotoss
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmark15 View Post
For some its a sport (they do hold competitions an stuff), for some is a hobby/past time, for the fantasy lovers it's an escape, for hardcore its a lifestyle choice
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenghost001 View Post
you dont get paid at all if you come in anything less than 2nd if your talking about MLG. no runner up prizes. plus even if you do come in 1st only like 20% of your winnings is cash; the other 80% is sponsorship merch such as a "lifetime supply" of bic razors and doritos.

finally i found someone who agrees with me! if you cant play good with the normal set of rules and no restrictions, and need to eliminate things such as claymores and rapid fire attachments (just using those as examples) then you arent good.
I see you forgot about sponsors, which thats a supply of money. The problem is that you're talking about MLG, which only 2 people were successful from those tournaments.

Yep they need to play with the same rules and restrictions like everyone else.

Last edited by Blueprotoss; 08-17-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:00 AM   #56
Kraderic
Banned User

Quote:
Agreed.

I see you forgot about sponsors, which thats a supply of money. The problem is that you're talking about MLG, which only 2 people were successful from those tournaments.
He already addressed sponsorships. They offer merchandise pertinent to their brand &/or offer financial support in purchasing products relevant to their sponsored activity. In this case: controllers, batteries, headphones, etc. They may also assist in enrolling their sponsored client into the competitions; they in no way just throw money at them to use at their leisure, regarding MLG competitors.

Last edited by Kraderic; 08-17-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Kraderic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:15 AM   #57
Blueprotoss
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraderic View Post
He already addressed sponsorships. They offer merchandise pertinent to their brand &/or offer financial support in purchasing products relevant to their sponsored activity. In this case: controllers, batteries, headphones, etc. They may also assist in enrolling their sponsored client into the competitions; they in no way just throw money at them to use at their leisure, regarding MLG competitors.
You do realize that there's different types of sponsorships like money or endorsement deals, which he talked about one version of an endorsement. Most of them don't get anything related to Gaming like sunglasses, clothing, phones, energy drinks/bars, and candy are a few that people got from MLG. They throw away a lot of their money because they can't have a steady job to earn money and constantly "train". The only success stort from MLG was the Ogre brothers because they saved their money then they quit to go to school and now they have Degrees.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:11 AM   #58
abstract1620

harry coinshlot's Gamercard
Quote:
You do realize that there's different types of sponsorships like money or endorsement deals, which he talked about one version of an endorsement. Most of them don't get anything related to Gaming like sunglasses, clothing, phones, energy drinks/bars, and candy are a few that people got from MLG. They throw away a lot of their money because they can't have a steady job to earn money and constantly "train". The only success stort from MLG was the Ogre brothers because they saved their money then they quit to go to school and now they have Degrees.

There is alot of silly MLG bashing going on here. Why would you crab about them taking all of the cheapass weapons out of games? WTF do you really need claymores for? making smores? Ive honestly never seen any CoD MLG footy, or played any gametypes. I can attest to them making HUGE improvements on Halo 3 and Halo: reach. Unfortunatly, only one could be saved
Old 08-17-2011, 02:18 AM   #59
sean1187

Send a message via Skype™ to sean1187

sean0187m's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
yes it is its competitive
sean1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:36 AM   #60
Blueprotoss
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstract1620 View Post

There is alot of silly MLG bashing going on here. Why would you crab about them taking all of the cheapass weapons out of games? WTF do you really need claymores for? making smores? Ive honestly never seen any CoD MLG footy, or played any gametypes. I can attest to them making HUGE improvements on Halo 3 and Halo: reach. Unfortunatly, only one could be saved
Thank you.

I think people are just tired of hearing MLG. They usually keep the cheapest weapons while its easier for them to limit what to use to have an advantage. I haven't seen them in Black Ops while they did frequent CoD4 and MW2. I wouldn't know about that because Halo 3 does get a lot of feedback on Bungie.net. I know with Halo: Reach that most of the Halo 3 teams disbanded like Tsquared because they couldn't play Reach that well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1187 View Post
yes it is its competitive
I guess that would mean Iron Chief and Big Brother are sports because of basic competition.