PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Sports and Fitness > Sega Superstars Tennis
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-19-2011, 03:04 AM   #1
SHawk996

shawk996's Gamercard
The REAL guide to 1k'ing this game - all your answers here

EDIT: 1000/1000. I'm SOOOO done with this game! But, I will always offer advice. I'm sure I'll be tracking this forum just for the heck of it for awhile. But, if anyone has questions in the future, please PM me if I don't respond on the forums, as I may not check this forum all that much.

First and foremost!

You MUST be willing to put about 15 hours of learning how this game works. Don't worry about knocking out achievements, don't worry about AAA'ing games. If you are not willing to commit to learning the game, despite on how crappy it is, you will fail.

This game is seriously about 50% luck. Luck, you ask? Yes. In the mini games, it depends on the hands you're dealt. If you get a crappy ball pile up (Super Monkey Ball planet), crappy perks (Sonic world), crappy tags (JSR), it's impossible to AAA them. After getting some playing time, you'll start to see which ones are easier, and which ones are harder. If it's hard right off the bat, restart. It's not worth your sanity.

Super Sonic

This achievement is a biotch.

Recommendation #1: Get this achievement while you are AAA'ing Sonic planet, as the game play will be fresh in your mind. Wish I would have done that. This achievement is done under the game section from the main menu, NOT planet superstars. Collecting all 7 is a pain!

TIPS!

1. You must have a minimum of 3 lives going into Level 10. The later levels start getting intense, and if you go in only have 1 or 2...your chances of making are very little, as you cannot afford a mistake!

2. The first perk you get MUST be an extra Sonic life. Not rings, not either bubble, and sure as hell not the shoes. It MUST MUST be a life! If it is not, restart. It takes about a minute to get to this spot (Roughly 700 points). You WILL need this life later on!

3. Never get the shoes. They are useless. Why? Because chances are, you'll play this so many times, you'll get muscle memory on how fast you can run, and what it takes to outrun the electric balls. You WILL wind up running into other electric balls! Just say no to the shoes. Not to mention: Extra lives, shield, or invincibility are far, far more important. The 10 rings are just...meh. Yes, they help, but not nearly on the level as a extra life or shield.

4. Regardless of what level, when you have 4 robots, play conservative! Why are you constantly failing this (I know this because you're reading this...)? It's because you're running out of lives, right? Right. So play defensively. Come level 8, with 3 or 4 robots, don't even worry about collecting rings. Focus on staying alive. Rings are useless when you run out of lives.

5. You'll notice that for the most part, all the robots will fire their balls at the same time. Therefore, kind of hang out in one spot for a second or two. When they fire, move foward, to the other side, whatever - the extreme opposite side where you're at. I like to hang out in the rear, because they will shoot the balls into the air - allowing you to run under them towards the net. Do NOT, do NOT, hang out near the net. You will simply not have enough reaction time to the bombs they throw. You need to hang out in the rear at all times, only going forward to escape a horde of electric bombs that are coming after you. The bombs messing you up? Run a rough sideways figure 8 pattern. It works pretty well.

Swinging Report Show

This achievement has nothing to do with highlights. It has to do with what makes your RANKED game eligible for the Superstars Channel! How do you get it? Easy-peasy. You play a ranked game with a buddy, and you take turns winning. I JUST boosted this on my dummy account. Doing it this way, both of you will get the achievement. Example: Say you serve first. Tell your friend not to do a thing. You serve, and you get an ace (because he's not even returning). 15,30,40, game. Now, do the exact opposite. Let your buddy serve to you, and you do not return. Do this...back and forth.

Eventually, you'll come down to a "stand off" or whatever they call it. Each person will serve two times in a row. During this, do not let either one of you get more than 2 more wins than the other - that will prematurely end the match. You win a serve, he wins a serve, you win, he wins...got it? Do this until the achievement pops. I believe mine popped when my accounts were around 5/6 (I believe the match ends at 10, not sure, the achievement popped, I quit).

These mini games are impossible! How in the world do you beat them?

Step number 1: Avoid Jet Set Radio and Alex Kidd, seriously. You need to perfect your game skills before you come back.

The following contains the controls of the game...READ THIS!

There is much more to this game than just smashing the A button. You ever played the game Jumper? Easiest 7-800 points ever, then that final boss is kicking your ass, because you've been literally button mashing the entire time? Yep, same with this game.

A - This is your generic fast ball return.

X - This is a generic ball return, but just not hit as hard as using A.

X,A (Quickly back to back) - This is to lob the tennis ball. Say your opponent is playing deep. Hit XA, and your character will barely lob it over the net. If you're lucky, he won't be able to cover the distance in time to return it.

A,X - This is like hitting a fly ball in baseball. You launch the ball into the air, and it lands deep in the back of the court. I hardly ever, ever used this. Near useless.

Left stick - This is much more than just moving your character around. This, my friends, is the money maker. You direct the ball with this. Want to hit it as far back in the court as possible? Push to the 12 o clock position. Want to hit the shortest return possible? Pull back to the 6 o clock position, combined with the X,A button combo. It'll barely make it over the net. Your opponent all over the left side, all up on the net? Push the left stick to the 2 o clock position. This will aim it to the right and to the back of the court. Your opponent will have to run the longest distance possible, and he'll likely never get it in time.

Now, you ask - how can I direct the ball when I'm running all over the place? You have to have your character set up for the hit. If your running full speed to one side, it's extremely hard to aim the ball to the right. This is where you utilize the skills you've learned from just playing the game, and you learn where to stand on the court. There is never a universal safe spot to stand on the court - each opponent plays differently. There's no real easy way to explain this, it's something you'll have to learn on your own.

Alex Kidd is IMPOSSIBLE! How...do you beat him?!

First step to defeating him: Not playing him. Seriously. Knock out all the other worlds/characters first. Gain some skills...you'll need it. Assume he's the boss of the game. You can fight him when you choose, so save him for last.

Second step: Use Dr. Eggman. By far, the best character for defeating him. His super stars perk is such a low-blow it's not even funny. When going for your AAA rating in Alex Kidd planet, save your perk for when you are 40-0, and you need the last score to win the tourney. Don't waste it early on...other wise, you'll be restarting a lot more.

If you have a particular bump in the game, post up and ask. I'll offer the best advice I can.
100k - Aug 9th 2012
Gamerscore goal complete...working on my completion percentage now.
Looking to boost: Gears 3, Rainbow Six Vegas

Last edited by SHawk996; 08-19-2011 at 09:52 PM.
SHawk996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
Zatosan

Zatosan's Gamercard
Lots of good stuff here. I just recently got the "AAA" for all games. I took a LONG time off in between attempts. I have to admit, Alex the Kidd was AWFUL, but not the toughest. Those dang tags in "Jet Set Radio" were the most aggravating for me.

I look forward to trying your trick for "Swinging Report Show" once I find someone to boost with. Thanks for the pointers.
Zatosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:00 AM   #3
SHawk996

shawk996's Gamercard
I'll admit, I didn't believe JSR was the hardest planet in the bunch. HOWEVER, it was the last world I completed - so I had the most amount of Sega Superstars Tennis experience.
100k - Aug 9th 2012
Gamerscore goal complete...working on my completion percentage now.
Looking to boost: Gears 3, Rainbow Six Vegas
SHawk996 is offline   Reply With Quote