PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password
 

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Subscribe    Donate

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 02:28 AM   #1
SpinelesS
 
SpinelesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Surfers Paradise, Australia
Posts: 2,983

Mr SpinelesS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Penalty for screwing around?

When I play these types of games I like to explore every nook and cranny and generally take my time.

I was exploring the main building right after my operation at the start of the game, getting the odd message to hurry up and then I got one that said the situation has gotten worse.

So have I been penalised for exploring? or is this just a further "hurry up and move the story along" message that I can ignore?
__________________
[spoiler=uniquecode]This is how you use spoilers![/spoiler]
Spoiler! (click here to reveal)

SpinelesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:48 AM   #2
Darkjay7991
 
Darkjay7991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 312

Darkjay7991's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinelesS View Post
When I play these types of games I like to explore every nook and cranny and generally take my time.

I was exploring the main building right after my operation at the start of the game, getting the odd message to hurry up and then I got one that said the situation has gotten worse.

So have I been penalised for exploring? or is this just a further "hurry up and move the story along" message that I can ignore?
Well I didn't get to the point were they said that, but I know/remember gameinformer did a preview of the game and described the first mission when you are augmented. The guy who did the preview mentioned that if you decide to try to talk to everyone and explore the whole building that it directly affects the mission. He mentioned that had he took longer then the mission would have changed, I think one of the possible changes was that they killed the hostages or something else. I just know they said that it changes the mission. He even did the Unforseen Consequence achievement without realizing it. Stating that because he handled the situation without violence that "boss" will later help you later on in the story. Basically stating how everything you do and all your choices affect the game.
Darkjay7991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:57 AM   #3
Halochief Chris
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northfield, NJ
Posts: 52

Haz Skills's Gamercard
I got the hurry up message as well. If I'm not mistaken, if you don't go from front door to Pritchard to Helipad right away, one of the hostages die before you get to the factory. It's not a big difference, but still...
Halochief Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:18 AM   #4
DENAz666
 
DENAz666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 2,448

denaz666's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   Donator - Level 1   1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
That sucks, i enjoy exploring everything
__________________
www.ausgamersunited.net - A place for aussies to talk games




Aussie Xbox Ambassador & Community Xpert
DENAz666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:36 AM   #5
Halochief Chris
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northfield, NJ
Posts: 52

Haz Skills's Gamercard
It's not like the one hostage dying has any adverse effect whatsoever, and you get plenty of time to explore everything after the factory mission.
Halochief Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:30 AM   #6
DENAz666
 
DENAz666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 2,448

denaz666's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   Donator - Level 1   1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halochief Chris View Post
It's not like the one hostage dying has any adverse effect whatsoever, and you get plenty of time to explore everything after the factory mission.
So you can go back and explore the area?? Thats not so bad
__________________
www.ausgamersunited.net - A place for aussies to talk games




Aussie Xbox Ambassador & Community Xpert
DENAz666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:25 AM   #7
SolusFlare
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 240

Angvi1's Gamercard
That mission is the only mission that is timed with such an event. And you will return after it. So just go to the mission right away and then explorer as much as you want.
SolusFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
DENAz666
 
DENAz666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 2,448

denaz666's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   Donator - Level 1   1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolusFlare View Post
That mission is the only mission that is timed with such an event. And you will return after it. So just go to the mission right away and then explorer as much as you want.
Thats a releif Nothing I hate more, then a big area to explore, but a time limit to explore it! lol
__________________
www.ausgamersunited.net - A place for aussies to talk games




Aussie Xbox Ambassador & Community Xpert
DENAz666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #9
Magon
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 70

MagonDead's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halochief Chris View Post
If I'm not mistaken, if you don't go from front door to Pritchard to Helipad right away, one of the hostages die before you get to the factory.
Well, I have explored everything and not only one of them died, but all except the boss girl.. (at least that is what I was told by the swat guys, I havent finished that mission so far.) Thought it was scripted that way no matter what you do, good to know it isn't.
Magon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
Halochief Chris
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northfield, NJ
Posts: 52

Haz Skills's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magon View Post
Well, I have explored everything and not only one of them died, but all except the boss girl.. (at least that is what I was told by the swat guys, I havent finished that mission so far.) Thought it was scripted that way no matter what you do, good to know it isn't.
Did you not find the room full of hostages with the bomb and defuse it? It's the room right after you hack for the first time.
Halochief Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
mattcrossUNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 101

mattcrossUNC's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halochief Chris View Post
Did you not find the room full of hostages with the bomb and defuse it? It's the room right after you hack for the first time.
He's right...if you take too long exploring the offices, the bomb in the first mission is already detonated and all hostages but the manager are dead! NPC's were not happy in my game!
mattcrossUNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #12
Lucas McCain
 
Lucas McCain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 205

o LucasMcCain o's Gamercard
Yeah, I took my sweet time about it, and all the hostages died. The SWAT guys all hate me. Even back at the base people are calling me bloodthirsty and putting me down for letting everybody die. I must have missed the part when they said hurry up, so I went really slow and explored. Oh well, just another welcome reason for further future playthroughs.
Lucas McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:27 AM   #13
DENAz666
 
DENAz666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 2,448

denaz666's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   Donator - Level 1   1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas McCain View Post
Yeah, I took my sweet time about it, and all the hostages died. The SWAT guys all hate me. Even back at the base people are calling me bloodthirsty and putting me down for letting everybody die. I must have missed the part when they said hurry up, so I went really slow and explored. Oh well, just another welcome reason for further future playthroughs.
Nah it happened to me too, and I didn't even get a message... and i was listening out for it so that i knew when to get a move on. Bloody should have just taken my time anyways! lol
__________________
www.ausgamersunited.net - A place for aussies to talk games




Aussie Xbox Ambassador & Community Xpert
DENAz666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:43 AM   #14
DEG23
Wanderlusting
 
DEG23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 4,431

DEG23 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - DEG23   Donator - Level 5   CABS Beta Tester   Staff - Moderator   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Rajeanero   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Staff Club - Shinobi273
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas McCain View Post
Yeah, I took my sweet time about it, and all the hostages died. The SWAT guys all hate me. Even back at the base people are calling me bloodthirsty and putting me down for letting everybody die. I must have missed the part when they said hurry up, so I went really slow and explored. Oh well, just another welcome reason for further future playthroughs.
Same thing happened to me when i got back to Sarif HQ, all the NPC's are saying how i let everyone die, and i couldn't reveal that the reason everyone died was because i was too busy breaking into everyones' offices, haha.

Although you gotta hand it to Eidos, this was a really nice touch to have time play a factor without an obvious countdown timer in the corner, and considering how many games these days are scripted, i swear the Mass Effect galaxy would have been destroyed by the time i finally got my ass off the citadel
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
I've heard Deus Ex is a sexy good game. Do it! DEG's club is awesome, as is the man himself.
DEG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:02 AM   #15
eiVaL
 
eiVaL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 873

Y0 MAC's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcrossUNC View Post
He's right...if you take too long exploring the offices, the bomb in the first mission is already detonated and all hostages but the manager are dead! NPC's were not happy in my game!
but the bomb was still sitting on the desk of the room full of dead hostages on my game
eiVaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #16
XCVii 007
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolusFlare View Post
That mission is the only mission that is timed with such an event. And you will return after it. So just go to the mission right away and then explorer as much as you want.
No, that is not the only timed mission.

Another one is when Taggart is having his speech. If you take too long, they will say that Taggert finished his speech and will have left, leaving you on missing the achievement 'The Throwdown'.
XCVii 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #17
Halochief Chris
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northfield, NJ
Posts: 52

Haz Skills's Gamercard
I'm on my 2nd playthrough and I decided to go from entry way to Pritchard to Sarif to helipad so no one dies. Regardless of this, when you get to the room with hostages (after first time you hack something, they're talking about a bomb) there's a dead scientist on the ground. I'm not sure if Josie Thorpe (Zeke's hostage) or the room full of hostages can die before you get there, but there is a dead hostage every time.
Halochief Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #18
Lucas McCain
 
Lucas McCain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 205

o LucasMcCain o's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEG23 View Post
Although you gotta hand it to Eidos, this was a really nice touch to have time play a factor without an obvious countdown timer in the corner, and considering how many games these days are scripted, i swear the Mass Effect galaxy would have been destroyed by the time i finally got my ass off the citadel
I agree. There is a lot about this game that I am loving, but my favorite aspect is the lack of hand-holding. I like that this game is difficult starting out, and that the 'best' path, or the repercussions of your actions are not obvious all the time. I've been annoyed by the general trend toward dumbing down games for some time now.

Off-topic, that's an awesome profile picture. Have you noticed the Blade Runner references in the game? I ran across a desk that belonged to "P. Dick" and heard a page for a "Detective Deckard" in the police station.
Lucas McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #19
mattcrossUNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 101

mattcrossUNC's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas McCain View Post
I agree. There is a lot about this game that I am loving, but my favorite aspect is the lack of hand-holding. I like that this game is difficult starting out, and that the 'best' path, or the repercussions of your actions are not obvious all the time. I've been annoyed by the general trend toward dumbing down games for some time now.

Off-topic, that's an awesome profile picture. Have you noticed the Blade Runner references in the game? I ran across a desk that belonged to "P. Dick" and heard a page for a "Detective Deckard" in the police station.
My favorite is on the 3rd floor of the police station. You see an office for a "Detective Alex Murphy" and you can hear a conversation going on like, "Really? You haven't heard of the movie? It's from the '80's, a cop from Detroit is rebuilt after he's killed as a robot-cop?". If you walk in the guy talking laughs and says, "I think we were just talking about you!"

Too funny.
mattcrossUNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #20
Opiate42
 
Opiate42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada, likely stuck in a snowdrift...with no shovel
Posts: 7,182

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEG23 View Post
i swear the Mass Effect galaxy would have been destroyed by the time i finally got my ass off the citadel
Me too!! But you know, bugs needed to be planted, bars needed to be danced at.

I managed to get in and defuse the bomb but was lolly-gagging about looking for darts and credits, evidently not lolly-gagging as much as others.

Some of the references in the game are quite funny, Deckard has his own computer too. Where do you find all the passwords for these? Trying to hack in the middle of a crowded room full of police usually ends badly.
__________________
"It's 5000 miles to the Vale, we got a horse, a tiny sword, winter is coming, and we're wearing boiled leather"

"Hit it"

Last edited by Opiate42; 08-26-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Opiate42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #21
Suki
 
Suki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,520

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
im confused and must be missing something, when i start the first mission (im doing it on stealth approach) i want to go and free the hostages straight away am i right in thinking this is a side mission and if so how do i activate it so i get a way point on the radar and get to em quick so no dies.
__________________
Over 100 Games 1000 Pointed
Suki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:18 AM   #22
kantizuni
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Grande Prairie, Alberta
Posts: 668
Send a message via MSN to kantizuni

Kant x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I just want to know if you're screwed for achievements if the hostages die. I've read in other places that there is a hostage who sends you an email (Greg) inviting you to his house where you can find ebooks. If you don't save the hostages, do you miss out on this ebook forever?
kantizuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:06 AM   #23
SpinelesS
 
SpinelesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Surfers Paradise, Australia
Posts: 2,983

Mr SpinelesS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
im confused and must be missing something, when i start the first mission (im doing it on stealth approach) i want to go and free the hostages straight away am i right in thinking this is a side mission and if so how do i activate it so i get a way point on the radar and get to em quick so no dies.

Sadly you can't set a way point to them, however the game brings up the Security Systems tutorial and you are introduced to your first camera's right after you rescue the hostages. So if you get to the tutorial without rescueing them, go back and explore the large open area you just went through.

More info:
Spoiler! (click here to reveal)



Quote:
Originally Posted by kantizuni View Post
I just want to know if you're screwed for achievements if the hostages die. I've read in other places that there is a hostage who sends you an email (Greg) inviting you to his house where you can find ebooks. If you don't save the hostages, do you miss out on this ebook forever?

No, you can still go to his house, you just wont get an objective marker leading you there.
__________________
[spoiler=uniquecode]This is how you use spoilers![/spoiler]
Spoiler! (click here to reveal)

SpinelesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:39 AM   #24
michaelmd
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4

AOD MichaelMD's Gamercard
I too let all the hostages die by screwing around talking to everyone. My only concern is, does this affect the Pacifist achievement?
michaelmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:14 AM   #25
Nitnoid
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Orlando
Posts: 1,662

haZZmaTTaZZ's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I decided to restart the game so I could rescue the hostages. I was able to burn through the first part and get to them fast enough. Probably took about 20 minutes total, in case you aren't too far along and want to do the same.
Nitnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 01:36 AM.