Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Dark Souls
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Hoborg
Banned User

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Too hard?

If it's going to be as hard as the original I will not buy it, simple as that. I don't have time for these bullshit difficulty modes like Legendary on Halo and Veteran on CoD. I'm getting old lol.
Hoborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Echilion

It has been stated that it will be harder:

"The difficulty has been increased greatly over Demon's Souls" wrote a preview from Japanese mega-mag Famitsu

Director Hidetaka Miyazaki reveals that the team's intention is to make Dark Souls even more challenging: "With Dark Souls, there is no intention to decrease the difficulty at all. Actually, we intend to increase the difficulty of the game"

Personally, I didn't find Demons Souls all that difficult once you got your head round it. At the beginning it was frustrating, but once I understood it and just took it slow...it wasn't that bad. It was pretty unforgiving though. But difficulty is subjective

I just hope that the increased difficulty isn't due to Cheap AI

Last edited by Echilion; 08-25-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Echilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
ruslan74

Send a message via MSN to ruslan74 Send a message via Skype™ to ruslan74

ruslan74's Gamercard
I wont be picking this up either, my limited game time doesnt allow me to spend hours on end without a checkpoint or at least a fricking pause function in case a family "event" happens. And no, its not an issue about having the balls as I finished DS2 twice on Hardcore (PS3 and X360) its just a matter of stupid game developers thinking everybody should play the game like them.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
Vindicator51

Vindicator51's Gamercard

DS2 doesn't compare with Demon's Souls / Dark Souls. I can't see where you get that from.

Anyways, regardless of difficulty i will pick this up.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
StolenPaper18

StolenPaper18's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   XBA Promoter   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
I'm getting that fo shoooo! Its my 2nd most anticipated game this year. Bring on the pain!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
Faeline

BinaryPickles's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindicator51 View Post
DS2 doesn't compare with Demon's Souls / Dark Souls. I can't see where you get that from.
I am guessing he is getting that from the fact that you only get 3 saves and no checkpoints for a hardcore run in Dead Space 2, which made it difficult and frustrating because you do something stupid and you will die, making you start from your last save.
But I am really looking forward to this game, just got done playing Demon's souls and found it very refreshing. The challenge of each dungeon that is.
I do agree with OP about not having the time to try to finish the whole dam dungeon before getting any sort of checkpoint.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
Vindicator51

Vindicator51's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeline View Post
I am guessing he is getting that from the fact that you only get 3 saves and no checkpoints for a hardcore run in Dead Space 2, which made it difficult and frustrating because you do something stupid and you will die, making you start from your last save.
But I am really looking forward to this game, just got done playing Demon's souls and found it very refreshing. The challenge of each dungeon that is.
I do agree with OP about not having the time to try to finish the whole dam dungeon before getting any sort of checkpoint.
There was plenty of time to do it in Demon's Souls, though. Also, the fact that OP mentions Veteran CoD as bullshit says it all.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
Faeline

Is there suppose to be some new type of checkpoint system now in this one? I was reading that hands on and they were talking about a bonefire. Is that a sort of checkpoint?
Old 08-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
Vindicator51

Vindicator51's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeline View Post
Is there suppose to be some new type of checkpoint system now in this one? I was reading that hands on and they were talking about a bonefire. Is that a sort of checkpoint?
I'm not sure if it acts as a checkpoint. I think it's just some kind of healing point you can return to.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #10
Echilion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindicator51 View Post
I'm not sure if it acts as a checkpoint. I think it's just some kind of healing point you can return to.
The bonfires do act as a checkpoint. I think it makes sense and I don't mind it since the nexus system is gone and its all open world.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:09 AM   #11
Faeline

Well if the bonefires act as a checkpoint, it might be a little better than just the archstones from demon's souls. I guess it all depends on how many there are in the world. I just hated the fact that once you got so far and died you had to start all over, i think that was the most frustrating part.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #12
Theratis

theratis's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoborg View Post
If it's going to be as hard as the original I will not buy it, simple as that. I don't have time for these bullshit difficulty modes like Legendary on Halo and Veteran on CoD. I'm getting old lol.
I'm with you. I 100%ed Demon's Souls on the PS3 and it was incredibly frustrating. The first level took me hours to get through. There are a lot of cheap deaths in there and some game mechanics like the character/world tendancy require a guide to understand. If they really do make it harder, I'll pass on this one.

I wonder how many others will do the same. It sold great mainly because of the suberb reviews, but it also received quite a lot of community backlash because of its difficulty. I think you might have a lot of people that were so turned off by the first one's difficulty, there might just not be a lot of people buying it. Who knows though.

My main complaint besides the cheap deaths/cheap enemy placement were the bossfights. They kill you in 2 hits, giving you no chance at all to learn the encounter, forcing you to walk back for 20 minutes for another try. It really got on my nerves. Second & third playthrough were easy but the first time through that game was infuriating.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #13
Devolon

FKT DEVOLON's Gamercard
I have to admit, their "prepare to die" slogan intrigues me - I find it a bit provocative. As a Ninja Gaiden vet, I'm always on the hunt for games like this, and I hope I will be up to the challenge.

There's no such thing as a "too hard" game. Everything is fine as long as the game's mechanics are solid and the level design is creative enough. If they're not, the game is simply a waste of time.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:47 AM   #14
Echilion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devolon View Post
I have to admit, their "prepare to die" slogan intrigues me - I find it a bit provocative. As a Ninja Gaiden vet, I'm always on the hunt for games like this, and I hope I will be up to the challenge.

There's no such thing as a "too hard" game. Everything is fine as long as the game's mechanics are solid and the level design is creative enough. If they're not, the game is simply a waste of time.

If you're looking for a difficult game currently, may I suggest Catherine. It is a unique puzzle-horror game that I found refreshing and highly enjoyable.

or if you have a PS3...pick up Demons Souls (which isn't as hard as people make it out to be...but everyone has different opinions) heheh. And the thing I liked with Demons Souls was that the difficulty increased after every completion . It also had a harsh death penalty by today's standards that reminded me of my days playing EQ and NES games. Two aspects that I hope are continued though I hope the lock-on function is refined

Last edited by Echilion; 08-29-2011 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:39 AM   #15
I CR0W I

I CR0W I's Gamercard
I love hard games and I'm really hoping they mean it when they say this will be hard as I'm finding less and less games offering a challenge these days. Currently Ninja Gaiden II is tiding me over.

Demons' Souls wasn't hard, it just wasn't full of the shit casual gamers expect to see these days. The lack of checkpoints made the game encounters more intense as you really valued your guys life, the almost non-linear world meant you could take each encounter as it came on your own terms (usually) and there was a reason to go back to previous levels and get a great sense of accomplishment for beating the thing that once destroyed you so easily.

I played the first game unarmoured with hand to hand combat. Things took a long time to die and I had to master dodging as any mistakes were usually lethal. It didn't take long to get used to, maybe an hour? It really isn't that hard at all and was more boring than anything. I'm hoping this one is hard enough for me to be forced to use a sword etc. just to survive.

From my experience with the first game, the achievements in this one appear to be massively time consuming even if the game is easy. Hopefully the secret achievements seperate the men from the boys.
DORITOS DASH OF DESTRUCTION

I AM GR8 @ GAEMS
I CR0W I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #16
Devolon

FKT DEVOLON's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echilion View Post
If you're looking for a difficult game currently, may I suggest Catherine. It is a unique puzzle-horror game that I found refreshing and highly enjoyable.
Will do, the game has been confirmed for an Euro release, but they haven't announced a date yet.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #17
zaventem

BatmanIsDead's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echilion View Post
The bonfires do act as a checkpoint. I think it makes sense and I don't mind it since the nexus system is gone and its all open world.
bonfires and mini bosses act as check points now.( unless you go back to another bonfire it reset the boss checkpoint and makes it the bonfire checkpoint.)
zaventem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #18
zaventem

BatmanIsDead's Gamercard
Quote:

People who are always on their toes and play cautiously will make this game their bitch .This game is hard but fair, not bullshit hard like other "hard" games mentioned in this thread, so if you're a Ninja Gaiden vet you'll love it, just be prepared and don't rush around ever corner, it's not a speed run button smashing game like most RPGs.Btw deaths in demon's souls are a mechanic and benefit the game and so are deaths in this game.
zaventem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #19
Mr KILLJOYs

Mr KILLJOYs's Gamercard
Yes, the bonfire is basically a checkpoint system, but supposedly there are other perks to it (in terms of making things harder I mean) but so far I think I've only heard that every enemy respawns when you use one.

Mr KILLJOYs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:45 PM   #20
Acky316

Acky 316's Gamercard
I didn't think Demon's Souls was all that hard. Granted, I didn't get Platinum on it either (mainly because I quit farming), but how are they saying this is harder?
Acky316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #21
HolyMoses81

HolyMoses81's Gamercard
Quote:
Will do, the game has been confirmed for an Euro release, but they haven't announced a date yet.
My Austrian Dealer announced it for sale in the beginning in November. I already preoredered it (and Dark Souls LE as well ).
HolyMoses81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #22
Strid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acky316 View Post
I didn't think Demon's Souls was all that hard. Granted, I didn't get Platinum on it either (mainly because I quit farming), but how are they saying this is harder?
It's not, it's just different. For some reason the developers think that the Bonfire respawning non-boss enemies makes the game harder. If you've played Demon's Souls there is no learning curve, it isn't too difficult, you'll hit the ground running without issue.
Strid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:08 AM   #23
rweisse

weisse14's Gamercard
It's weird I usually don't like getting frustrated with games, but the more I hear how hard Dark Souls is, the more I am curious to check it out.
rweisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:18 AM   #24
ElektroDragon

ElektroDragon's Gamercard
Of course it is too hard. I fully expect to never go much past the first boss, just like in Demon's Souls. But I buy it anyway in hopes they will make Enchanted Arms II someday.
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #25
MikeRo

Send a message via ICQ to MikeRo Send a message via MSN to MikeRo Send a message via Skype™ to MikeRo

Konung l's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Anyone here played both Gothic 4 at gothic difficulty mode and Dark Souls?
Is the gothic mode anyway near as difficult as Dark Souls?
MikeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #26
WhiteDad

WhiteDad's Gamercard
I found this thread a bit refreshing.
I'm looking for a new game and this seems interesting.
Games are quite easy anymore with checkpoints and saves.
I do, kind of, miss the old days when games were hard.

It reminds me of when I got out the NES and started playing Mega Man with my son. He was blown away by the fact that it was hard and when you died, you were back at the start menu.

I think I'll pick this game up.
WhiteDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #27
ElektroDragon

Am I the only one who actually doesn't miss the old days when games were impossibly hard?!
Old 10-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #28
Elendanis

Send a message via Yahoo to Elendanis

Gumpy366's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoborg View Post
compared to this game, those are a joke. The AI in cod and halo are the same, easy to predict no matter the difficulty, just time consuming.

the AI in Dark souls... freaking unbelievable. I love it and the feeling of accomplishment of when you finally outsmart the damn computer.
Elendanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #29
ElektroDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendanis View Post
compared to this game, those are a joke. The AI in cod and halo are the same, easy to predict no matter the difficulty, just time consuming.
I don't know man, I decided to do Reach on Legendary and I'm very stuck early on.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:50 PM   #30
BushidoRed

It's not really that hard as long as you take your time and work with someone, i mean i die; ALOT, but it's still definitely doable.
BushidoRed is offline   Reply With Quote