Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Dark Souls
Subscribe    Donate

Old 10-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #31
neverendr

neverendr's Gamercard
A couple of comments:

CoD on Veteran is a joke, especially compared to Dark & Demon souls.

To the question about Gothic 4 on Gothic mode - I want to say that it's somewhat similar in difficulty, but in a different way. Yes, you will die, it says so in large print on the game case. I completed Gothic mode and found it mildly difficult but quite frustrating at times. I also completely Demon Souls on ps3 to 100%, which was quite difficult, but I found it less frustrating. Dark souls is kind of inbetwen the two - the new bonfire system checkpoints and getting a checkpoint after each mini boss reduces the frustration factor by a large margin, but doesn't exactly reduce the difficulty. It's a hard game, but it's balanced a lot better than Demon Souls (or Gothic mode). If you enjoy a challenge and get a personal sense of achievement from learning from your mistakes and trying multiple angles to pass a game, you'll enjoy this one a lot.

Big thanks to jtr1gg3r for the sexy new sig!
70,000GS 26 Oct 2010- RB3 "Hometown Threwdown"
neverendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #32
kolbe11

There's bunch things about this game that makes it, i don;t know, stupid ? Firs thing: why do i loosing expierience ? I understand if i be dead before next "checkpoint sword", but after that ? I just fu**** earned and want to level up, sorry, you cant do it. The weird thing about it is, that all items are earned after dead. What next, where's the map ? I don't want to finish level before i will not go to every place at the stage. Next thing, no information about enemies like ghosts, How to beat those bitches ? And last thing: boss checkpoint. I understan that this game is hard, but c'mon, i've already beaten those guys 20 times, wheres the point ? It's even not frustraiting, it's boring - i can beat them wiithout loosing any health, die in boss fight and repeat it perfectly to be death again from boss hand. But the most shitty thing is expierience, ok boss killed me - OK ! My fault, but why i'm loosing my EARNED by KILLING ENEMIES expierience ?
kolbe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #33
elsnoggler

elsnoggler's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolbe11 View Post
There's bunch things about this game that makes it, i don;t know, stupid ? Firs thing: why do i loosing expierience ? I understand if i be dead before next "checkpoint sword", but after that ? I just fu**** earned and want to level up, sorry, you cant do it. The weird thing about it is, that all items are earned after dead. What next, where's the map ? I don't want to finish level before i will not go to every place at the stage. Next thing, no information about enemies like ghosts, How to beat those bitches ? And last thing: boss checkpoint. I understan that this game is hard, but c'mon, i've already beaten those guys 20 times, wheres the point ? It's even not frustraiting, it's boring - i can beat them wiithout loosing any health, die in boss fight and repeat it perfectly to be death again from boss hand. But the most shitty thing is expierience, ok boss killed me - OK ! My fault, but why i'm loosing my EARNED by KILLING ENEMIES expierience ?
Not sure if serious...

I don't think Dark Souls is for you, buddy.
elsnoggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #34
Uriel X

Quote:
I've had a few times while I lost a decent amount of souls, but after a boss you CAN just backtrack to your last bonfire and just level up if you're afraid of losing it. The way back should be totally clear unless you skipped the guys.

Most NPCs and items give some hints about how things work and how to do things. I found some items down by the ghosts that tell you something like "you become cursed for a time allowing you to fight cursed enemies".
Uriel X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #35
KriugerisLT

Kr1ug3ris's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
The beginning was hard. But when you get the hang of it, learn the areas, find ways to kill your opponents fast and tactics against them, the game isn't so hard.

When I started playing Dark Souls, i went straight for the graveyard with the skeletons They punished me very much, and I though that this game will be impossible to beat compared to Demon's Souls. But then I learned that you aren't supposed to go there at all. Felt like a total jackass for wasting ~2hrs and went to the upper areas
KriugerisLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:14 PM   #36
kolbe11

Just cant stand this EXP lost. Fight = getting stronger, and till boss it's not always working this way.. I'm thinking abiut get as much souls before camps to level up, hope my LVL not getting low after dead. I didnt noticed - why do i need those single souls ?
Old 10-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #37
kolbe11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriugerisLT View Post
When I started playing Dark Souls, i went straight for the graveyard with the skeletons They punished me very much, and I though that this game will be impossible to beat compared to Demon's Souls. But then I learned that you aren't supposed to go there at all. Felt like a total jackass for wasting ~2hrs and went to the upper areas
What about achievments ? You could miss it somethng leaving this place. Skeletons are not so hard, use Battle Axe, they limb out for a while after every heavy attack. I think the easies way to beat the game is to use distance weapon, like first Diablo.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #38
MikeRo

Send a message via ICQ to MikeRo Send a message via MSN to MikeRo Send a message via Skype™ to MikeRo

Konung l's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverendr View Post
A couple of comments:

CoD on Veteran is a joke, especially compared to Dark & Demon souls.

To the question about Gothic 4 on Gothic mode - I want to say that it's somewhat similar in difficulty, but in a different way. Yes, you will die, it says so in large print on the game case. I completed Gothic mode and found it mildly difficult but quite frustrating at times. I also completely Demon Souls on ps3 to 100%, which was quite difficult, but I found it less frustrating. Dark souls is kind of inbetwen the two - the new bonfire system checkpoints and getting a checkpoint after each mini boss reduces the frustration factor by a large margin, but doesn't exactly reduce the difficulty. It's a hard game, but it's balanced a lot better than Demon Souls (or Gothic mode). If you enjoy a challenge and get a personal sense of achievement from learning from your mistakes and trying multiple angles to pass a game, you'll enjoy this one a lot.
Thanks for the answer.
If I understood you correctly, I'll be able to beat Dark Souls after I mastered gothic mode. It's just that I need to find good tactics, right?
MikeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #39
enzeru666

Enzeru666's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by KriugerisLT View Post
Did the exact same thing, felt like a proper dumbass :P
enzeru666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #40
kolbe11

I have a question if i kill the Taurus Demon, can i come back to the graveyard and the rest ? How to use Uchigatana propertly ?
Old 10-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #41
NyCEE

This game is not that hard. It's just that you have to go through long game sessions before another checkpoint, easily losing any progress (souls earned) just because you can't always 100% be able to face an enemy without dropping at least a bit of health.
If you add that you just die because at every corner you don't know which path to take, and beeing short in energy dosen't help... Suffer multiple deaths just because you have to learn how to face every room, multplied for the number of rooms between bonfires, is really a bad idea.
BUT at the moment i don't want give up on this game. Justit would be funnier and less frustrating to face a game without useless repetitions.
NyCEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #42
kolbe11

It's too much for me, I'm untouchable till Taurus Fight, it's matter of luck is he hit you or not. This boss definetly can be beaten by lucky. Only one jump per fight, next try will end behind the walls.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #43
IDiivil

Send a message via AIM to IDiivil

idiivil's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
It's too much for me, I'm untouchable till Taurus Fight, it's matter of luck is he hit you or not. This boss definetly can be beaten by lucky. Only one jump per fight, next try will end behind the walls.
Way more than one jump per fight. Use your dodge and run and that huge space you are given.

I killed the Taurus using only jumps. It's certainly possible.

Like my avatar? If so, you can see more of my modeling work at http://www.facebook.com/idiivil
IDiivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #44
Elm

Hassan4's Gamercard
Yea it took me like 3 jumps I think to kill him. It's a pretty easy fight as his attacks are slow.
Elm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #45
Chrinst

chrinst's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elm View Post
Yea it took me like 3 jumps I think to kill him. It's a pretty easy fight as his attacks are slow.
Agreed. He isn't too bad, the dragon on the other hand. (just get off the f***ing BRIDGE!)
Chrinst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #46
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Could always try to find a Phantom to summon to help you out. Also the Taurus demon is pretty easy to dodge, rolling seems to work very well...but if you have Pine Resin, using it on your weapon before you jump can make short work of him, 1 jump and a few hits is all it takes, usually can kill him before he ever has the chance to attack.
Gackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #47
Armakuni

Send a message via ICQ to Armakuni Send a message via MSN to Armakuni

Armakuni K's Gamercard
I'm ashamed of myself. I consider myself hardcore, but I haven't made it past the second miniboss (on the bridge). And I have to review the game, so I need to push further...
Old 10-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #48
Armakuni

Send a message via ICQ to Armakuni Send a message via MSN to Armakuni

Armakuni K's Gamercard
Btw, I don't find this game hard as in AI cheating or poor game mechanics. The game is just and well made, it's just unforgiving as hell and doesn't help you when you make mistakes. I agree it can't be compared to COD. Those games have health regeneration FFS. :-D
Old 10-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #49
neverendr

neverendr's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRo View Post
Thanks for the answer.
If I understood you correctly, I'll be able to beat Dark Souls after I mastered gothic mode. It's just that I need to find good tactics, right?
Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to convey. You'll die along the way, a fair bit, but as you learn the game and formulate strategies to outsmart the AI you'll do well. Almost every encounter in the game has multiple ways to approach them, and even a subtle change in your tactics can swing things in your favor. You're unique in that you and only three people I know irl, aside from myself, actually played gothic mode on 4 and got through it. I think you'll enjoy the challenge, just take your time and think before you leap into battle.

Big thanks to jtr1gg3r for the sexy new sig!
70,000GS 26 Oct 2010- RB3 "Hometown Threwdown"
neverendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #50
MikeRo

Send a message via ICQ to MikeRo Send a message via MSN to MikeRo Send a message via Skype™ to MikeRo

Konung l's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverendr View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to convey. You'll die along the way, a fair bit, but as you learn the game and formulate strategies to outsmart the AI you'll do well. Almost every encounter in the game has multiple ways to approach them, and even a subtle change in your tactics can swing things in your favor. You're unique in that you and only three people I know irl, aside from myself, actually played gothic mode on 4 and got through it. I think you'll enjoy the challenge, just take your time and think before you leap into battle.
Thanks for tips, now it's really clear. Just needed to be prepared.
MikeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #51
Belvik

Belvik's Gamercard
Quote:
Not even joking on this. Taurus demon jump at me once, I rolled past him while he was swinging at me and tried to get around to hit him in the back. He turned and jumped at me and went straight off the bridge. I'm not gonna complain about that since it made the fight really easy for me, but I figured they would have put up an invisible wall around the bridge to keep the boss in.

Belvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #52
BruDrew

megaofmen's Gamercard

Quote:
I have a question if i kill the Taurus Demon, can i come back to the graveyard and the rest ? How to use Uchigatana propertly ?
Yes you can go back. Bosses remain dead once killed, even after a bonfire. And you need a decent amount of dex (for the beginning of the game) if i remember that weapon correctly. If you go to equip, and highlight that weapon, hit X, and you can see what stats it requires, if a stat is red, your character doesn't have enough of that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyCEE View Post
This game is not that hard. It's just that you have to go through long game sessions before another checkpoint, easily losing any progress (souls earned) just because you can't always 100% be able to face an enemy without dropping at least a bit of health.
If you add that you just die because at every corner you don't know which path to take, and beeing short in energy dosen't help... Suffer multiple deaths just because you have to learn how to face every room, multplied for the number of rooms between bonfires, is really a bad idea.
BUT at the moment i don't want give up on this game. Justit would be funnier and less frustrating to face a game without useless repetitions.
You have to be running into rooms or doing something very wrong if you get hit that often and die at close to every room. In the very beginning, yes, because you have no idea what you're doing, but after that, you should only die from one of four things: You made a stupid mistake, you encountered a mini-boss/boss, you ran into a new enemy type, you ran out of healing items. More often than not, the first is what kills you.

Few tips: if you don't know the area, shield up at ALL times. Always kindle a bonfire if you can, those 5 extra flasks are very worth it. Go slow. it's better to sit back for a moment and analyze what you see ahead and plan how to want to try to get through it, it'll help you stay alive longer. And try to take enemies one at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belvik View Post
Not even joking on this. Taurus demon jump at me once, I rolled past him while he was swinging at me and tried to get around to hit him in the back. He turned and jumped at me and went straight off the bridge. I'm not gonna complain about that since it made the fight really easy for me, but I figured they would have put up an invisible wall around the bridge to keep the boss in.
Why? If you can fall of the edge into oblivion, it's only fair that he should be able to as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gackt View Post
Could always try to find a Phantom to summon to help you out. Also the Taurus demon is pretty easy to dodge, rolling seems to work very well...but if you have Pine Resin, using it on your weapon before you jump can make short work of him, 1 jump and a few hits is all it takes, usually can kill him before he ever has the chance to attack.
I'm not sure you can see summon signs until shortly after this boss, as you don't get the white soapstone until right after this. I believe this is the last boss you HAVE to face without being able to summon. I could be wrong though.
BruDrew is offline   Reply With Quote