PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Duke Nukem Forever
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
WhiskyJim

JimmyTheHat69's Gamercard
Thought id give it a go despite awful reviews...

Seriously, what a piece of shit game... i told myself "nah get it, it'll be fun, it is duke nukem after all!" but im 2 hours in and cant bring myself to play any more, its a hollow piece of shit fps that disguises that fact by adding in half funny dialogue and minigames/interactions, i dont care if it took 100 years to make, theres no excuse, im sick of shitty games coming out that initially look like theyre really good, the "hardcore" games industry is dying, standards have dropped and i dont give a shit anymore.

Time to conform and play COD all day, atleast it plays smoothly and delivers what it promises.
WhiskyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Juiceh

SuperJuiceh's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Except for the bad graphics this really wasn't a bad game. I actually enjoyed new lines from the Duke and better looking enemies than before. Not good enough to not return, but still.. wasn't bad at all.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
Gareth Dent

Send a message via MSN to Gareth Dent Send a message via Skype™ to Gareth Dent

Gareth Dent's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskyJim View Post
Seriously, what a piece of shit game... i told myself "nah get it, it'll be fun, it is duke nukem after all!" but im 2 hours in and cant bring myself to play any more, its a hollow piece of shit fps that disguises that fact by adding in half funny dialogue and minigames/interactions.

Whoah what, Duke nukem adds in funny dialogue only to hide its shittness? Kid play 3D then come back, because if you didn't play nor like 3D then you wont like forever. It would be like bitching about Gears 2 although never playing gears 1.

"We all have secrets; the ones we keep, and the ones that are kept from us."
Gifts
-EaT-
djunglist
VelocityGFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TentacleTherapist View Post
This thread is now basically a 'Gareth is awesome thread'.
Gareth Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
sircamjim

Man, you don't need to play prequels to give your opinion. A good game is a good game by itself.

Well, I played duke nukem time to kill (one of my favorite all time shooters) and yeah, i dindn't like DN forever. To me is not shitty, just weak, very weak. It's a shame, i expected more (or best) but well, at least is entertaining. I'm sure it can't compete with other shooters but is good to see it after all this time. Maybe it will be the last, since I don't think new players or Duke fans will like it enough.
sircamjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:33 AM   #5
ll X ll

I loved the game but yet again, i didn't expect anything really. Could it be better? Hell f****** yes. Hopefully, the next time developed fully by Gearbox will do DN justice more then 3D realms could ever do DN justice by making DNF.
ll X ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:51 AM   #6
bob101910

bob101910 rfp's Gamercard
Read horrible reviews, so I was very surprised when the game turned out to be fun.
Most Recent: Guacamelee (X1)
bob101910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:08 AM   #7
satanslove22

NightAngel 90's Gamercard
i honestly think the game wasnt that bad. i mean we all knew (or should have) that it wouldnt live up to the hype of 12 years.what game could. but there are 10 times worse games out there and at least this one has some humor and can actually make u laugh. Gearbox just stuck to what original duke was all about but they plan on making another one the way they wanted to.

9/17/12-Reach 100,000
I've Brought You A Gift30 Defeat the Soul Arbiter
satanslove22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:15 AM   #8
Marketman316

Marketman316's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskyJim View Post
Seriously, what a piece of shit game... i told myself "nah get it, it'll be fun, it is duke nukem after all!" but im 2 hours in and cant bring myself to play any more, its a hollow piece of shit fps that disguises that fact by adding in half funny dialogue and minigames/interactions, i dont care if it took 100 years to make, theres no excuse, im sick of shitty games coming out that initially look like theyre really good, the "hardcore" games industry is dying, standards have dropped and i dont give a shit anymore.

Time to conform and play COD all day, atleast it plays smoothly and delivers what it promises.
play cod all day? fuck you
Old 10-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #9
WhiskyJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marketman316 View Post
play cod all day? fuck you
Wow, your so intelligent, i aspire to be like you with your witty remarks and great intellect, stop being a bitchy little internet warrior you trollish piece of shit and to quote a dipshit... "fuck you".
Old 10-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #10
DeekBoy

Send a message via AIM to DeekBoy

DeekBoy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Donator - Level 2   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   PAX Meet 2010   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
I just got finished playing it all the way through and I really enjoyed it. All the funny references to other games and such. I can't wait to start my insane play through. Given it does have a few flaws but what game doesn't? Take it for what it is and be happy that we even got another Duke Nukem.

Punish The Deserving

DeekBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
LewisRedd

Stereo in 3D's Gamercard
I actually enjoyed it to. For me it was like the opposite of when somebody/everybody over hypes a movie. You watch said movie and don't enjoy it.All the bad reviews totally put me off. But then I found a sneaky voucher code for 5 off anything at Gamestation and used it on a preowned copy bringing the price down to 2.99!
LewisRedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #12
WhiskyJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisRedd View Post
I actually enjoyed it to. For me it was like the opposite of when somebody/everybody over hypes a movie. You watch said movie and don't enjoy it.All the bad reviews totally put me off. But then I found a sneaky voucher code for 5 off anything at Gamestation and used it on a preowned copy bringing the price down to 2.99!
Nice haul haha
Old 10-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #13
xKRAIZEEMANx

xKRAIZEEMANx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I, myself, enjoyed the game.

xKRAIZEEMANx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:28 AM   #14
CrownlessKing

Send a message via MSN to CrownlessKing

FJMatlock's Gamercard
I enjoyed the game as well. Although I did pay full price on day one for it. I wouldn't advise anyone else to do the same. But seriously, a 'hollow piece of shit FPS'? I honestly don't see the difference between this game, and say, the campaign in Halo or Call of Duty.

Take generic soldier. Arm him.

Insert obstacles and enemies in his way, aliens or soldiers.

Take soldier through stage. Repeat over and over.

I mean, Master Chief is just a soldier with guns who goes through stages killing aliens. He's not that different from Duke. In fact he's boring because there's no funny lines or anything else to do. I played Halo 3 co-op with a buddy. That was boring. And I played Modern warfare 2's campaign a bit, and while slightly enjoyable, didn't really do it for me either.

I know Call of Duty & Halo's MP modes are better then DNF by a long shot. But single player wise? Not that different.

CrownlessKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:01 AM   #15
Spengler PhD

HigHToWeR JvS's Gamercard
Even if I can pick it up for $20 I should pass?
Spengler PhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #16
CrownlessKing

Send a message via MSN to CrownlessKing

FJMatlock's Gamercard
No, you should still get it. It's worth at least $20.00.

CrownlessKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #17
troy0891

Send a message via Skype™ to troy0891

troy0891 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   CABS Beta Tester   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   1,000 Posts   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   x360a Representer   Staff Club - troy0891   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
I've enjoyed the game too. But I also enjoy the bad company side of the battlefield series more than the main one. I like to laugh and I like games to be fun. Duke Nukem provided both. Granted it's not the highest form of humor and parts of play like a 13 yr old's wet dream, but still, was fun. Sections of it were still plenty challenging game play wise as well. I think if you go into with realistic expectations, you won't be disappointed. But it is no COD. Personally, I count that as a vote in its favor.
troy0891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #18
XperimntNterror

XperimntNterror's Gamercard
this game was reviewed unfairly; it's 12 yrs old. the gaming media reviewed this game as if it were modern and, therefore, rated it poorly. the game is running on a 12 yr old foundation that has been tweaked and modified at various periods throughout it's development. it should never have been reviewed the way that it was. it should have been looked at for exactly what it is: a 12 yr old game. if you take more modern shooters out of the comparison chart and look at it as a throwback that finally got it's light of day, then it's actually a pretty well made game. i'm glad i bought it and have had a great amount fun playing it.

Thanks to V1ZIONZxBLOOD for the really cool sig!
XperimntNterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #19
Spanish Assault

Send a message via Skype™ to Spanish Assault

Spanish Assault's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Silver   Road Map - Bronze   Community Gaming - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   10,000 posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
The more I play this...the more I hate it.

Spanish Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #20
MasterHook

masterhook99's Gamercard
I actually enjoyed this game, but since I don't like the Call of Duty games, and all games that tries to be Call of Duty (Goldeneye) I might not be the person everyone wants to get their game reveiw from.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #21
CouchOrnament

COUCH ORNAMENT's Gamercard
I enjoyed it. But I got rid of all my modern day expectations of video games and reverted back to a late 90's early 2000's gaming mindset. In which case the game kicks major ass. It isn't supposed to have a believable story, or make any sort of sense. It is a Duke game. The controls are a little shit, but aside from that it is exactly what I expected from the game. Mindless, blowing shit up. With derogatory phrases, scenes and innuendo.

That said, the first level or two were utter design garbage and should have been struck from the game entirely.

Happy 2012 everyone!
CouchOrnament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #22
TerrorfirmerIE

TerrorFirmerIE's Gamercard
I really thought it was great fun....made me laugh a lot and some levels were really fun, particularly the one running around the kitchen as micro duke. I laughed a lot at the ridiculous food labels...
TerrorfirmerIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #23
xxDAMRONxx

xxDAMRONxx's Gamercard
picked it up for 20...really enjoyed it!

I think people compare it to newer games and want great lines/story...but duke is about beating ass and corny one liners that are halarious...I loved it and it really reminded me of duke nukem 3D
Old 12-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #24
legendaryjman

Legendary J Man's Gamercard
I loved everything about Duke Nukem Forever. See, me, I'm not an FPS fan. Not a Gears fan, not a CoD fan, I just don't like'm.

The last FPS I played was Turok the Dinosaur hunter on the N64, and I loved the balls off of it.

Duke gave me everything I could possibly want from a game, and more. I found myself hunting around the levels just trying to find the next interactive object, and never being disappointed. I loved the platforming levels, and I hope they do not take them away when/if they make another one.

Personally I don't want to see Duke turn into a hardcore multiplayer FPS, I would rather see it turn into a Fallout/Borderlands style open world adventure.
legendaryjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:55 AM   #25
Tropan

the tropan's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendaryjman View Post
I loved everything about Duke Nukem Forever. See, me, I'm not an FPS fan. Not a Gears fan, not a CoD fan, I just don't like'm.

The last FPS I played was Turok the Dinosaur hunter on the N64, and I loved the balls off of it.

Duke gave me everything I could possibly want from a game, and more. I found myself hunting around the levels just trying to find the next interactive object, and never being disappointed. I loved the platforming levels, and I hope they do not take them away when/if they make another one.

Personally I don't want to see Duke turn into a hardcore multiplayer FPS, I would rather see it turn into a Fallout/Borderlands style open world adventure.
Ditto. Bought this day one and still have it, I usually sell/trade my games fairly quickly but this is one I want to keep just for the DLC, chance to play it again. I won't do Insane though, think that'll make me hate it lol. Not saying most people should have bought this for $60 but it was worth it for me.

So much more enjoyment for me then say....ODST or....Prototype or Darksector...etc. Wish I woulda paid <20 for those >>

Tropan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #26
FPS GLIMMER

FPS GLIMMER's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I enjoy playing it, but then again Im the type of person who watches tv while I play games. So the long corridors and load times seemed meaning less to me.
FPS GLIMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #27
ashleary

Send a message via MSN to ashleary

ashleyleary's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I think the games pretty good. I played if for ages when I first got it I played it none stop, then I had a bit of a break for Fifa&MW3. Decided to pick it back up last night and played it for hours

Yes its a little linear, the graphics are a bit crazy and the physics aren't all that but its still fun - isn't that what gamings about?
Amstrad CPC 464, Game Boy, SNES, Dreamcast, GBA XBOX, PSP, XBOX 360
Please follow @mouseymessages on Twitter
ashleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #28
Nevander

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Reviews are written by corporations and by people who know nothing about games or the true purposes of games such as DNF. I am my own reviewer. I never turn down a game, movie, or anything because of what SOMEONE ELSE says about it.

They don't know a good game from a bad one. They base their opinions too much off graphics and expectations.

I base mine off "what the game is" and "how FUN is it?"
Old 12-22-2011, 02:04 PM   #29
Abrams X

Send a message via AIM to Abrams X Send a message via Yahoo to Abrams X

abramsx's Gamercard
Had DNF come out in 2004-2005, it would've fared loads better. Despite a lot of its "polish" feeling out of date, it still delivered what was on the cover: Duke.

"All Hail to the King, Baby!"
Abrams X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:24 AM   #30
Nevander

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrams X View Post
Had DNF come out in 2004-2005, it would've fared loads better. Despite a lot of its "polish" feeling out of date, it still delivered what was on the cover: Duke.

"All Hail to the King, Baby!"
This is EXACTLY my main point.

The expectation of the game, by taking so long to come out, was raised WAY past its should-have-been expectation. Like you said, if it had came out back at that point, it would have gotten WAY better reviews and wouldn't be treated shit by those who don't understand this concept.