PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Duke Nukem Forever
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #31
Blue Thunder28

Blue Thunder28's Gamercard
I am loving this game right now.

Blue Thunder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:07 AM   #32
DarkMage91

Dark Mage 91's Gamercard
Yeah, I had a lot more fun with this game than I thought I would.

It was more entertaining than the Halo campaigns, at least.
DarkMage91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #33
x RoverandOut x

x RoverandOut x's Gamercard
Bought it the other day. Loving it at the moment, the single player is much more fun than any recent FPS I've played.
x RoverandOut x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #34
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I was really wanting this game...until I played the demo. That killed it for me. I've got the old, blocky/choppy version on my 360, that I had on my Sega years ago. And I really wanted to see how they made the topless bar scene. Oh well.

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:51 PM   #35
Mist

Send a message via AIM to Mist Send a message via MSN to Mist

Morolarim's Gamercard
I really don't understand how this game received so much shit. Sure, it doesn't live up to the hype, but so what? I'm having a lot more fun with this game than I did Rage or any of the Halo games (Combat Evolved miiiiiiiiiiiiight be an exception to that though.)

Sure the story isn't awesome-beyond-belief. It's direct and cheesy with its one-liners, but yeah. That's Duke for ya people. The President at the beginning of the game puts it well. "You're a relic, Duke." And that's exactly what he is. A relic, a reminder of the good ol' past.
Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #36
Happy Ronin NZ

Happy Ronin NZ's Gamercard
I've been flip floping on my impressions of the game. I'm nearing the end of my 2nd playthrough this time on Insane so I guess I have put in enough hours to form my final impression.

Overall I would give it a 5/10. I'd pick it up in a bargin bin.

My main gripes with the game would be that the loading time is really annoying especially when playing on Insane. 40 secs (I timed it) is just too much after dying. The rest can be summarised as an average shooter with some funny one liners which become a bit boring after you've heard them all.

If your a duke nukem fan you will probably enjoy one playthrough.

If your going for all achievements then some of them are plain annoying. The two pinball achievements are annoying, sinking all balls on the pool table for an ego boost was very frustrating for me. I think the longer you play the game the more you hate it. I hope to wrap it up today and then it will never see my console again.
Happy Ronin NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #37
BrenteusMaximus

BrenteusMaximus's Gamercard
My biggest beef with this game is the fact that, sure it doesn't live up to the hype, it's not the most polished, doesn't have the best graphics, etc, but for some reason, the play areas take longer to load (even installed to the hd) than most games with far superior graphics. For me, especially playing in harder modes where you die pretty regularly, the load times drive me crazy.

If one can get past that major flaw, the game isn't that bad. I think having played the old Duke 3D helps with appreciating it's particular brand of humour though.

BrenteusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #38
Ecto1T

Ecto1T's Gamercard
I went into the game with the mindset of "Hail to the King, Baby!" and was not disappointed. I didn't expect much and got exactly what I wanted.

I think people coming into this game expecting it to be the next big thing are doing so specifically so they can hate on it later and feel justified. There was pretty much no way this game was going to be groundbreaking given it's history, and I don't recall the game being advertised as such.

The game is simply a fun shooter that reminds us of old school FPS games with a few tweaks that came with modern FPS games. Personally I like the older games better, so this was right up my alley.
Ecto1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:23 AM   #39
Nevander

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecto1T View Post
I went into the game with the mindset of "Hail to the King, Baby!" and was not disappointed. I didn't expect much and got exactly what I wanted.

I think people coming into this game expecting it to be the next big thing are doing so specifically so they can hate on it later and feel justified. There was pretty much no way this game was going to be groundbreaking given it's history, and I don't recall the game being advertised as such.

The game is simply a fun shooter that reminds us of old school FPS games with a few tweaks that came with modern FPS games. Personally I like the older games better, so this was right up my alley.
Finally, somebody who knows what the game is about. So many haters that don't understand this.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #40
GruntLogic

GruntLogic's Gamercard
Okay, this game certainly has its faults. More than a few of them. I don't think the graphics were terrible, they weren't stellar either. I think they got the job done. The most annoying thing was the texture pop-in that happened pretty regularly when loading up an area. The loading times were pretty bad too, but when I compare time spent looking at a loading screen between this and Skyrim, Skyrim was atrocious with the amount of loading that went on. By comparison, the loading times for Duke Nukem Forever were a breeze. And unlike Skyrim, DNF never just locked up or crashed on me. And yeah, it is kind of a throwback to the old school theory of first person shooters, the game assumes you know how to move behind something when you're getting shot at, unlike most cover-based shooters that have you making out with a section of wall for extended periods of time. And no, you shouldn't have to play all or any previous games in a series, any series to be able to enjoy a game. A game can, and should, be able to stand on it's own. If it can't, then it should be an expansion pack, and priced accordingly. But I suppose that's just my opinion. I suppose the biggest thing is the sense of humor. It's incredibly crude. It's not trying to anything else. I mean, they state it on the game case. Oh, and in regard to Halo not being fun or funny, I disagree. There is humor to be found in Halo, but it's a bit more subtle. Halo isn't about trying to split your sides with humor. Example, its the mild sense of humor that the Chief displays when Cortana asks about the Chief's escape plan, and he replies "Thought I'd shoot my way out. Mix things up a little." Whereas Duke's sense of humor is more along the line of slapping a pair of alien boobs on the wall and saying "Need an exam ladies?" Different sense of humor between the two games, and I can appreciate both. But yeah, this game has faults. A lot of them. Mostly in the technical department. Though they were never enough to prevent me from enjoying the game.
GruntLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:33 AM   #41
Rebellion777

jushiroukitake7's Gamercard
I agree with Dent

Yeah, Dent is right man, I mean, I've only played the demo to Duke Nukem 3D, but I could tell that it was the kind of game I would love, and I love Duke Nukem Forever. The game isn't meant to be some sort of "destroy all the competiton" game, it's a Duke Game, crude humor, suggestive themes, and the ability to do some stuff that no one would think of doing i.e.picking up the shit in the toilets. are all just part of the magic. Put on top of that a character that makes most recent game hero's look like emo kids, and you've got a game that's pretty damn good...maybe it's just cause I only had an N64 until about the 7th or 8th grade, and only then started getting the PS2s and stuff that my friends had, but I have more respect for effort I guess for legacies I guess. You don't like the game, then don't play it, and don't bitch to those of us that do like it, simple as that.
Rebellion777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #42
DarkReign2021
Banned User

DarkReign2021's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
The only issue this game truly had was that it was being developed by slow ass developers that obviously had time management issues. The game itself, although it had it's flaws, was still a superb product. Like was said before, if this had come out in 2004 alongside the FPS fest Halo 2, Half-Life 2, and DOOM 3, I think it would've done decently well against the competition. 3DRealms, however, continually kept starting over, scrapping large amounts of progress, and starting fresh for no reason at all. So this gem kept getting held longer and longer and eventually by time they neared completion the game was outdated, the funding was dried up, and there was nothing they could do about it.

There's no excuse for this. Other development teams don't just scrap 99% of the game assets because it's a little outdated. They build the game to keep up with current titles and aim to get it out on shelves ASAP. If every game insisted on doing what 3DR did, we'd never see any games get released because all games are inevitably outdated in one way or another at launch.

Personally if they'd have stuck with 2001 Demo build and pushed for a 2004-2005 launch date, I would've been perfectly okay. Hell, if the game was as awesome as the 2001 trailer let on, I would've been okay with graphics like that for a 360 launch title. But everything here was dated and that made the game suffer in the long run (That and I was disappointed not to see more new weapons. I would've thought with games like Painkiller and Serious Sam out there, DNF would've embraced the wacky big guns policy a little more.)
DarkReign2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:07 AM   #43
Nevander

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   5,000 Posts
Same here, I wouldn't have minded to play the 2001 build or hell even the 1998 build. They both looked good enough to play.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #44
Habs14

RIN014's Gamercard
I myself, liked DNF. Sure it wasn't the greatest game, but if your like me, a duke fan. You've enjoyed this game. If I had to give a review for this game. I would give it around 6.5-7. I'd say more 7. Yeah I'll admit that I paid full price when it came out. Do I regret it? No, not at all. When I did my first playthrough hard I really enjoyed it. The humor was great, I had quite a few good laughs playing this game. That's how I remembered duke and I'm glad they didn't change duke. Only thing that was annoying with the game was the turret parts. Overall the game was simple and not that hard. Hate all you want about duke. The king lives!! Hail to the fucking king

163 completed games: 108 retail, 55 arcade
Habs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:38 AM   #45
Nevander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs14 View Post
I myself, liked DNF. Sure it wasn't the greatest game, but if your like me, a duke fan. You've enjoyed this game. If I had to give a review for this game. I would give it around 6.5-7. I'd say more 7. Yeah I'll admit that I paid full price when it came out. Do I regret it? No, not at all. When I did my first playthrough hard I really enjoyed it. The humor was great, I had quite a few good laughs playing this game. That's how I remembered duke and I'm glad they didn't change duke. Only thing that was annoying with the game was the turret parts. Overall the game was simple and not that hard. Hate all you want about duke. The king lives!! Hail to the fucking king
Amen to that. I would agree with everything you said.

So glad I got the BoS Edition, I even have a display case for it and everything. I'll take a pic and show you guys just how much of a Duke fan I am, lol.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #46
Habs14

RIN014's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevander View Post
Amen to that. I would agree with everything you said.

So glad I got the BoS Edition, I even have a display case for it and everything. I'll take a pic and show you guys just how much of a Duke fan I am, lol.
To me I dont care what anyone says about the game. Yeah it got mixed reviews and people are not buying the game because they take some person's impression of the game than actually trying it for themselves. I know people who have played the older duke games but they wont play forever. Just because everyone says it "sucked". I cant wait for the next one, and YES there will be another duke whether people like it or not. I have faith in Gearbox. Nevander I was tempted to buy the BoS editon, but decided to skip it. You can still find them brand new in gaming stores.

163 completed games: 108 retail, 55 arcade
Habs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #47
Reick17

Reick17's Gamercard
I got it for $6. So far, it's pretty silly/awesome, but it's also pretty janky in some aspects.

If you were so die hard to wait for 12 years, probably not worth it. But for me, it's not bad.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #48
Darkforce412

darkforce412's Gamercard
for some strange reason i saw all of the reviews and yet i still got it and i thought it was pretty good. It should have been alot better but still had fun playing it so i dont understand why everyone hates it so much its fine to me, yes the graphics could have been better and the weapons should have felt more realistic but besides that i liked it.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #49
TacticalTodger
Banned User

Send a message via MSN to TacticalTodger Send a message via Skype™ to TacticalTodger

SAUSAGE R0LLS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskyJim View Post
Wow, your so intelligent, i aspire to be like you with your witty remarks and great intellect, stop being a bitchy little internet warrior you trollish piece of shit and to quote a dipshit... "fuck you".
I love the "your so intelligent" kinda funny as it should be "you're so intelligent" also the I should be capitalized but I'm not judging .

Just picked this up for 5, so I'm looking forward to seeing how bad it truly is.
TacticalTodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #50
X Cahoots X

X Cahoots X's Gamercard
I'll be Honest, This is One of my Favourite Games! (I Have played Alot of Games ) But seriously, This game was great, Had the most fun i've had in a Loong time On the Sexbox, I Think when you stop obsessin on what it didnt do, You'll have more fun
Old 06-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #51
pulverizer31

FierceMist's Gamercard
I got it for $5 so I can't really complain. The game really isn't that bad.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #52
napoearth

napoearth's Gamercard
I thought the game was pretty good, you need to quit getting your hopes up for a video game. None of them are going to be any awesome life changing event. It's a game. Enjoy it for what it is.
napoearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #53
d0nkeytr0n

d0nkeytr0n's Gamercard
I heard nothing but bad things about it too...so I've just ordered it lol

admittedly, I haven't paid a single penny for my "purchase", so even if it turns out to be shite, it's still free achievement points
Old 10-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #54
Timmy22bc

Timmy22bc's Gamercard
Oh my goodness

I picked it up today for $13 in the bargain bin at EB games & its absolutely horrible! I can't stomach it any more after playing through so many CODs.
Timmy22bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #55
Nevander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy22bc View Post
I picked it up today for $13 in the bargain bin at EB games & its absolutely horrible! I can't stomach it any more after playing through so many CODs.
Nice way to gauge a game's quality, CoDbaby.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:02 AM   #56
Wargamer

wargamer3's Gamercard
Fun game with loading times that would put Sonic '06 to shame.
MP is a blast as there's only one loading.
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #57
Deadsea 18

Deadsea 1993's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchOrnament View Post
I enjoyed it. But I got rid of all my modern day expectations of video games and reverted back to a late 90's early 2000's gaming mindset. In which case the game kicks major ass. It isn't supposed to have a believable story, or make any sort of sense. It is a Duke game. The controls are a little shit, but aside from that it is exactly what I expected from the game. Mindless, blowing shit up. With derogatory phrases, scenes and innuendo.

Exactly. Thats what I expected would I pay full price for it ? NO. But I wouldn't do that for many games either. I paid 15$ for it new and was surpised at how much I loved it. I think review systems in game magazines these days are pointless as I think to many publishers ''Pay off'' to have their game sell more by giving it a high rating. I think too many people came into this game expecting something new and revolutionary,yet they never even played Duke Nukem 3D or any of the old Duke games,Of course if you never played the old Duke games you will hate this game. Duke in the game reviews was called ''A womanizer,popping one liners just like Arnold Zurtz.'' but thats what he WAS MADE TO BE. I played Duke Nukem 3D as a kid and this game was like revisiting a good friend after 12 years.

Thanks goes to Captain Slaughter for the signature.

Last edited by Deadsea 18; 12-15-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Deadsea 18 is offline   Reply With Quote