PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > The Darkness
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-01-2009, 03:13 AM   #1
pumpkinPie

xx KellySue xx's Gamercard
Need the GUNSLINGER Achievement? EASY solution here!

I know how frustrating the Gunslinger achievement can be because I tried to do so many times. However, there is a very simple solution. A solution that I think is actually quite easy. After getting fed up (and saying a few choice words at my TV - having tried 40+ times already), I experimented. Luckily, it paid off and I got it! Here's my tips:

- I know that there's several ways of getting this achievement but the easiest one is during the Dutch Oven Harry objectives. Just follow these tips and you should acquire it in no time. Well,..hopefully.

First things first,...

- Have the advantage.
You might not think that the one guy is always sitting down on the couch once you enter the building, but there's a way to make him sit EVERY time.

How? Well, when you're asked to give the guy at the door the password, select the first option with A, skip the second, then allow him to say the last part. DO NOT skip it or the guy will not be sitting down. I tested it out 10+ times towards the end of trying to get the achievement and he was always sitting (when done this way).

- Use your handguns.
They shoot faster, have better accuracy, and you can pick up extra ammo inside the building. Where? There's some on the barrel in the room that the guy with the shotgun stands. You can also get some on the table in the room with the three thugs, TV, and couch.

- Be sneaky.
Instead of choosing to stand in the corner with the curved wall and crates; you should pick a better position. That position is the darkened corner beside the guy that leans against the wall. I bet you're asking, Why? Simple. I realized that while I'm standing in that corner I can manifest The Darkness and my guns WITHOUT being detected by the men. That isn't the best part though. This next bit is pretty crucial to being fast and killing everyone before the 15 seconds is up.

- Kill Roach FIRST.
Wondering how?
When standing in the corner with your guns and The Darkness out, creep forward a little (just past the obstacle to your right) and then up a bit. Stay close to the wall though because otherwise I'm not sure if the men will notice you. After that, zoom in with your guns and kill Roach with a head shot. I found this to be greatly helpful because this way you won't even have to worry about him once the other men are dead.

Once he's dead you can go about killing the other guys. You obviously have to kill the three men that are in the room with you because they won't be too happy after Roach is dead. Next, take out the shotgun guy and the man he was talking to. Finally, take out the dude at the door.

------------------

I hope this helps because that achievement was making me really mad so I was more than happy to finally get it. I found this way to be easy and figured it out just by having to do it over and over. So, ENJOY and I hope you get the achievement too!

Last edited by pumpkinPie; 09-01-2009 at 03:38 AM.
pumpkinPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
Krafty92

can you get the cheeve on the whitefish gang menbers and scars thugs?
Krafty92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
richardwarnercool1

The place that I managed to get it was Chapter 5 when you lay seige to Uncle Frankie's island. When you get up the stairs to the outside of his house, guards will respawn for a long time. During this time I just went backwards and forwards and mowed down anyone I saw with duel sub-machine guns.
richardwarnercool1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
chiliflamingo

chiliflamingo's Gamercard
Since I missed getting the achievement in the finale of the game, I tried reloading several chapters and trying various methods. I tried about ten times to do it in the construction site at the start of the game, I then booted up Chapter 5 and started playing through to the mansion. Takes so long though... and you can only skip about half the dialogue, weirdly. So I then loaded up Chapter 3 and discovered what I think is the quickest way to get the achievement.

Literally, from the menu, load up Chapter 3, talk to the harmonica guy at the stairs to chinatown, talk to terrence willis around the side of the stairs to lower east side, then go to lower east side. Bypass Scarr's thugs via a ladder at the end of an alley and go into the whitefish pool hall grounds. I used duel submachine guns and tore through all five gang members in a couple of seconds, then moved towards Scarr and his gang, popping heads from a distance.

If you fail, I don't know if checkpoints will work since you're completing missions (therefore autosaving) by killing Scarr and the Whitefish gang. However, it takes only a minute or two to get here from the start of Chapter 3 anyway, and it's quite easy to succeed using this method.

Hope this helps someone, I got quite annoyed with this achievement.
chiliflamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
Seoulcrusher

Seoulcrusher's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliflamingo View Post
Literally, from the menu, load up Chapter 3, talk to the harmonica guy at the stairs to chinatown, talk to terrence willis around the side of the stairs to lower east side, then go to lower east side. Bypass Scarr's thugs via a ladder at the end of an alley and go into the whitefish pool hall grounds. I used duel submachine guns and tore through all five gang members in a couple of seconds, then moved towards Scarr and his gang, popping heads from a distance.
Awesome advice - helped me out a lot! I found that I didn't get an autosave after killing the gang members, just a "mission status updated" (or whatever) message. Took me a couple of tries, but finally got it. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2010, 02:28 AM   #6
mtcameron

cameron1313's Gamercard
Just wanted to offer some clarification from my own attempts at getting this achievement by killing the whitefish gang/scarr's goons because I tried it several times and Scarr never showed up. Then I figured out what I was doing wrong:

In order for Scarr and his guys to appear, you have to complete both parts of harmonica guy's quest. I talked to him first, intimidated Scarr, checked back in with Harmonica guy and then had to exit the station via Chinatown (without this step, Scarr won't appear on the Lower East Side). I came right back in and found Harmonica guy all beaten up and he gave the quest to find Scarr. I then continued with Terrence Willis as described above and got the gunslinger achievement on the second try.
mtcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:49 PM   #7
syberbreed

GiantDianoga's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardwarnercool1 View Post
The place that I managed to get it was Chapter 5 when you lay seige to Uncle Frankie's island. When you get up the stairs to the outside of his house, guards will respawn for a long time. During this time I just went backwards and forwards and mowed down anyone I saw with duel sub-machine guns.
same thing just with the auto shotty, while on hard.
syberbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
norbucso

norbucso's Gamercard
My advice Chapter 3. Acquire Black hole ability. Keep the side missons when you have to kill a 5 member gang and the other when you have to get the harmonica back because this is a 3 member group. If you come up in the alley at Low East Side by the ladder you will have a checkpoint so you can try again fast. 2nd times i was success. Put a black hole in the corner sucking the 5 member in from the spot where you can see both group and shoot the 3 other guys at the distance in the head or at least at them. Less than 10 seconds required.

Last edited by norbucso; 11-23-2010 at 01:14 PM.
norbucso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
TommyGun81

The most easiest way to do it is still during those 2 side missions...unleash the black hole on the whitefish gang and then just kill the "Scarr" gang seconds later...it won't even take you 10 seconds! Just did it...
Old 07-13-2011, 11:34 PM   #10
BeamyOwl

BeamyOwl's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinPie View Post
I know how frustrating the Gunslinger achievement can be because I tried to do so many times. However, there is a very simple solution. A solution that I think is actually quite easy. After getting fed up (and saying a few choice words at my TV - having tried 40+ times already), I experimented. Luckily, it paid off and I got it! Here's my tips:

- I know that there's several ways of getting this achievement but the easiest one is during the Dutch Oven Harry objectives. Just follow these tips and you should acquire it in no time. Well,..hopefully.

First things first,...

- Have the advantage.
You might not think that the one guy is always sitting down on the couch once you enter the building, but there's a way to make him sit EVERY time.

How? Well, when you're asked to give the guy at the door the password, select the first option with A, skip the second, then allow him to say the last part. DO NOT skip it or the guy will not be sitting down. I tested it out 10+ times towards the end of trying to get the achievement and he was always sitting (when done this way).

- Use your handguns.
They shoot faster, have better accuracy, and you can pick up extra ammo inside the building. Where? There's some on the barrel in the room that the guy with the shotgun stands. You can also get some on the table in the room with the three thugs, TV, and couch.

- Be sneaky.
Instead of choosing to stand in the corner with the curved wall and crates; you should pick a better position. That position is the darkened corner beside the guy that leans against the wall. I bet you're asking, Why? Simple. I realized that while I'm standing in that corner I can manifest The Darkness and my guns WITHOUT being detected by the men. That isn't the best part though. This next bit is pretty crucial to being fast and killing everyone before the 15 seconds is up.

- Kill Roach FIRST.
Wondering how?
When standing in the corner with your guns and The Darkness out, creep forward a little (just past the obstacle to your right) and then up a bit. Stay close to the wall though because otherwise I'm not sure if the men will notice you. After that, zoom in with your guns and kill Roach with a head shot. I found this to be greatly helpful because this way you won't even have to worry about him once the other men are dead.

Once he's dead you can go about killing the other guys. You obviously have to kill the three men that are in the room with you because they won't be too happy after Roach is dead. Next, take out the shotgun guy and the man he was talking to. Finally, take out the dude at the door.

------------------

I hope this helps because that achievement was making me really mad so I was more than happy to finally get it. I found this way to be easy and figured it out just by having to do it over and over. So, ENJOY and I hope you get the achievement too!
You probably won't read this by now, but I wanted to say 'thank you!' for this suggestion. It took me a few tries to get the timing and everyone's placement down, but I got it and just finished the last of my singleplayer achievements in this game. Thanks for this great method!
BeamyOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #11
Aronsky

Aronsky's Gamercard
Was going to try out these methods after finishing my hard playthrough but ended up getting it by accident at the mansion. Was throwing black holes all over the place and shortly after I entered the mansion, think it was when you first get control of yourself after entering, I used a black hole on some guys behind a barricade and caught seven of them in it. Got both achievements by accident. Was pretty cool.
Aronsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #12
TVthePunisher

Send a message via AIM to TVthePunisher Send a message via MSN to TVthePunisher Send a message via Yahoo to TVthePunisher

TVthePunisher's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Subscriber - Bronze   Genre Competition - Second Place   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Just used this method, it took me about 5 tries. I say that because someone would always run off to a place that would make them go passed the 15 seconds. First time I did it the doorman somehow closed himself out of the hideout and got stuck in the door, so I was way over 30 seconds by the time I killed him. Second through fourth times either I didn't kill someone from the couch (even though I swore I did) or one of the two near the doorman up and ran out of the room and somehow ended up where Roach was. Fifth time everything went smoothly.

Back when I first got this game I tried and tried for the achievement but never could get it, I figured this would be the spot but I was always short of 15 seconds. So I gave up on it, did some more of the game...came back now and finally got it. Thank you. The most important thing about this version of the method is where you suggested I stay for the headshot on Roach. By doing this, I was able to take care of everyone quite nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenderPowguin View Post
I'll support any post of CrazyMv94's that isn't whining from lack of social connection.
TVthePunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #13
DEADHEAD60K

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbucso View Post
My advice Chapter 3. Acquire Black hole ability. Keep the side missons when you have to kill a 5 member gang and the other when you have to get the harmonica back because this is a 3 member group. If you come up in the alley at Low East Side by the ladder you will have a checkpoint so you can try again fast. 2nd times i was success. Put a black hole in the corner sucking the 5 member in from the spot where you can see both group and shoot the 3 other guys at the distance in the head or at least at them. Less than 10 seconds required.
you don't get the black hole til chapter 4. i did it in chapter 5 and charged scar's gang with the dual machine guns. got it on the first try, very easy.
DEADHEAD60K is offline   Reply With Quote