PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Music and Rhythm > Rock Band 3
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
daviduk2000

daviduk2000's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
how good is Pro guitar for a beginner?

ok so i REALLY wanna learn real guitar. just wondering if Rock band 3 pro guitar is a decent introduction?
i already have the game. just dont have pro guitars?

Also wondering if the mustand pro guitar is any good? as that is all you can get here in the uk. Im tempted to ship a squier over from ebay but the cheapest is around ú270 (about $430) so not sure if thats worth it. i might wait for rocksmith.

all input would be great i know only the most extreme basics of guitar so im pretty much a begginer what are other beginners experiences with RB3?

So questions.
Quality of the mustang and squier?
Quality of RB3 as a teaching instrument. does it teach me guitar or just songs?
Ease of use?
and finall even if it doesnt teach me properly is it easy enough to learn to play the game as a beginner. or is it recommended i know some guitar?

Last edited by daviduk2000; 09-09-2011 at 04:08 PM.
daviduk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:21 AM   #2
Bl°°dwolf

Bloodwolf0013's Gamercard

Short Answer = It's not really good for "TEACHING" you how to play guitar, though it is good to keep you on track for playing PRO enabled songs once you have the basics down.

Long Answer = http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=311933

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/YourScaryMother

Last edited by Bl°°dwolf; 09-11-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Bl°°dwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
cloud72

cloud72's Gamercard
the time you spend trying to learn pro guitar could be put into learning a real guitar
Old 11-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
CHR15T1E

CR1MSON PHOENIX's Gamercard
I use the mustang and it's alright if you have a real guitar too
Use RB3 to supplement you in learning, as RB3 is not the greatest teacher

What I do is use RB3 for taking an exercise, learning as much as I can, then sitting down with my real guitar, practice on that instead

Quality of the mustang and squier? I only have the Mustang, but it feels sturdy and has taken a couple o' bumps with no damage

Quality of RB3 as a teaching instrument. does it teach me guitar or just songs? There are some exercises as well as the trainers for learning songs, best as a supplement, I use justinguitar..com as it's free

Ease of use? Nice n easy providing you're used to a guitars layout

And finally even if it doesn't teach me properly is it easy enough to learn to play the game as a beginner. or is it recommended i know some guitar? I would go to justinguitar.com and practice using the beginners course, the game will be a lot easier if you already know some chords

Last edited by CHR15T1E; 11-06-2011 at 05:45 PM.
CHR15T1E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
LolMunnchy

LolMunnchy's Gamercard
It's a sound investment, but choosing the squire over the mustang is the better choice, if you can find one. It will teach you some basics, but it's better to jump between the two (Plastic and real thing) i.e. I take a lesson on RB3 , have a go at learning it on the mustang, then go to my real one and practise it one that
Old 12-17-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
PANIC ATTACK 10

PANIC ATTACK 10's Gamercard
Thumbs up

i hope you still read this thread. i can help you out alot here. but i use the wii for internet. so bare with me here.

you'll want to buy "alfreds basic guitar method" 3rd edition. plus rest of books in series.

they teach you how to play. cover things RB3 doesnt, like trimming finger nails. & theory.

that being said, buy the fender squire 6 string guitar. it plays well & is a good basic level guitar.

you dont want to buy one like my PRS SE to start. reason is you may not like guitar & wastes your money.

RB3 is a great way to practice. has some elements of teaching too. most serious guitarist, like myself, use it for practice.

it has the real cords & such to play. in tutorial mode it does teach you some things. like which finger goes where to play that cord. ie middle finger 2nd fret A cord extra.

bottom of guitar is actually top of guitar.

turn on "cord numbering" to understand which strings to strum for that cord.

i would play on expert right off the bat. that way you get use to the real cords right away.

its tough to play but well rewarding.

when starting play 15 mins take break next 15 & so forth.

play on tip of finger up by nail so you can do hopos.

just keep playing & youtube has a ton of good vids on everything.

from holding guitar to power & everyones fav barre cords! yippee love me barre cords!

as for RB3 vs rocksmith. i tried them both. IMO RB3 is way better.

neck of guitar is easier to read. rocksmith isnt any different than RB3.

i perfer RB3. if you want to add me to your friends list. i could help you while you play. if you have kinect. i can see what you're doing wrong.

play just under top of fret, not on top of fret.

so 1st fret would be the nut. 2nd fret just under 1st fret you see on neck.

great & fun way to practice guitar. stay with it & have fun!

theres alot of depth here for starting guitar. just some details are missing. but a good place to start.

goodluck & hope this helps. remember keep your nails short!
PANIC ATTACK 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
daviduk2000

daviduk2000's Gamercard

Hey yeah just came here today to check up.

Thanks for the great input guys. i've decided to get one. been watching a few on Ebay but this time of year they are going for alot (ú300) so im waiting till my birthday to order one (6th Jan)

thanks guys and panic attack ill definatly check that out thanks.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:18 AM   #8
PANIC ATTACK 10

Smile

the reason why you want 6 string guitar is because it gets you use to real strings & not plastic.

your mind will remember which string you're on based off of its thickness. aka memory muscle.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:48 AM   #9
jedifrog21

jedifrog21's Gamercard
This is coming from an amateur guitarist that just tried Pro Mode today with the RB 3 Mustang guitar. I personally feel the layout for Pro guitar is awkward coming from the top. It would be much better coming from the right side of the screen to the left. Also, the buttons are confusing! I understood where they getting at with the number of the fret and then putting said number at a certain string to represent which string to hit. But even on easy I had a super difficult time hitting the correct string on the fret in time and by then it had already passed. Just my two cents
jedifrog21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
LolMunnchy

LolMunnchy's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANIC ATTACK 10 View Post
the reason why you want 6 string guitar is because it gets you use to real strings & not plastic.

your mind will remember which string you're on based off of its thickness. aka memory muscle.
This was the main issue I had with the mustang. I could manage the buttons, but the strings felt quite awkward to pick.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
PANIC ATTACK 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolMunnchy View Post
This was the main issue I had with the mustang. I could manage the buttons, but the strings felt quite awkward to pick.
ya having the thickness of the strings really helps. i know where my struming hand & fret hand is just by feel. the mustang was a bad idea for pro mode. i also like rocksmith. as it lets me use my real guitar.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
Sinful Samhein

Sinful Samhein's Gamercard
It is almost better if you learn real guitar first. I know that sounds stupid, but it's true.
Sinful Samhein is offline   Reply With Quote