PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooters > Gears of War 3
Subscribe    Donate

Old 03-12-2012, 02:44 AM   #2341
robpears

Game Over Drunk's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Football Manager Tournament 3rd Place
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreyMan View Post
Actually, no, I got caught out a few times with this because I thought that as I was playing a private split-screen match my XBL connection didn't matter, but you have to set it to Local in the options. If you do this it won't matter whether you lose XBL or your net connection, the game will continue to run. But if you don't switch it to Local, then yes losing XBL will boot you back out to the menu.
Worth knowing, thanks for this.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:16 AM   #2342
Omni CEO

o The Source o's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDurbin View Post
Well the person I was talking to was talking about system link, not playing private splitscreen.
Yes, I was.
It worked thanks.
And just finished ideling skunker.
God damn!
Funny title too lol. Pepe Le Pew Pew or w.e.
Omni CEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #2343
TheGreyMan

The Grey Man's Gamercard
Quote:
Well the person I was talking to was talking about system link, not playing private splitscreen.
True enough, my old Xbox lies dead in the corner, so I have no idea what happens with system link
TheGreyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #2344
BlazinDragon

BlazinDrag0n's Gamercard
I only have one xbox can i idle skunker, if so whats the best settings
BlazinDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #2345
TheGreyMan

The Grey Man's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinDragon View Post
I only have one xbox can i idle skunker, if so whats the best settings
This is very much a good news/bad news situationů

Good news: Yes, you can idle Skunker on a single Xbox.

Bad news: It's a bitch. The quickest way (relative term, though) would be Warzone set to 2 rounds I think. Also make sure you set the round length to more than 1 minute. Since the most recent title update you now cannot win Warzone matches unless you kill the entire team. I found this out the hard way by letting my Xbox idle on 1 min rounds only to come back and find no progress at all! Every round ended in a stalemate. So I'd go with 2 rounds, 3 mins per round, Insane, weapon picks up Boomshot (respawn after use). And bots set to fill. That's the catch. You cannot load the match in your favour, but obviously have your 2nd controller on the opposing team to even out the odds.

As far as I can see, there's little that can be done to optimise idle boosting of this game mode / medal. The only other suggestion I have is to join or create a session on TA but obviously that's going to be active boosting mostly.

If it helps I'm setting up a spreadsheet on Google Docs to help track boosting methods and see which ones work most effectively. For example, I can look at the stats of my recent Warzone boost and see that for appx 7 hours idle time I netted a whopping (not) 43 matches, of which my bots won 16 and only 6 of those were skunks. This also leaves me with the disheartening statistic that it will require a further 2826 hours of idle boosting to Onyx this medal! I told you it was a bitch! LOL

Obviously it would run much faster if the matches were not 2 rounds. In contrast, running a KOTH boost on single rounds with 1 Insane bot yields around 123 matches/wins in the same time period.

If this all sounds a bit like NerdGeek Masochism (and I know it does, LOL) it's useful to be able to decide which medals to idle or active boost, and have some idea of the time needed to avoid any disappointment.

If it helps I'll gladly share the spreadsheet when I've finished testing and checking everything. Feel free to PM me if anyone's interested. Or suggest features you'd like to see and I'll incorporate them if time allows.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #2346
Roofus

I have finished solo machine idle boxing Skunker as of today.

This is the worst medal I have done yet and I have done all the hard ones to get them out of the way. I can CTL as my match type and was getting about 50 skunkers every 12 hours. Awful. I can't even remember the last time I posted in here because this is all I've done since I think mid-January!

Essentially this completes all the medals for me that you can idle boost as far as I am aware.

So I need to do two of the CTL medals I have yet to complete now.

From what I see Guardian can be done with one machine and a second account but it will just take some time.

But to do Abductor fairly speedily it would be best if I can use my second machine I'm thinking if I could just rent a second copy of the game.

I guess I would have the second machine on system link and I would set it up to where one of the players was always the leader. Then do easy bots so they don't get in the way. And then on the primary account on the first machine rush opposing spawn and capture, then rinse and repeat 500 times?

How does that sound?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #2347
I R BFOG

xBFOGx's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofus View Post
But to do Abductor fairly speedily it would be best if I can use my second machine I'm thinking if I could just rent a second copy of the game.

I guess I would have the second machine on system link and I would set it up to where one of the players was always the leader. Then do easy bots so they don't get in the way. And then on the primary account on the first machine rush opposing spawn and capture, then rinse and repeat 500 times?

How does that sound?
Congrats on finishing the idle boosting, I should finish my last gametype today which is TDM.

For abductor I used 2 xboxs on checkout. I put the 3 guests on the other team, put all weapons to snub pistol to get the two bots to separate and just rushed their spawn. You can set it to as many rounds as you like but after a few rounds a bot will be leader so gets slightly tricky but not too bad. Also pretty good for first bloods if you shotgun one of the guest before capturing the leader.

And guardian, you can get while idle boosting by using a guest to hit start at the main menu. Put the guest on your team and do one round games. You will be leader every game after the second. You will win as leader about 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 games.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #2348
McDurbin

llDurbinll's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreyMan View Post
True enough, my old Xbox lies dead in the corner, so I have no idea what happens with system link
It does what I said it does when you quoted me and said I was wrong.

Extremely Serious
Check out my video guide for South Park:Tenorman's Revenge. Gold Time and collectibles,Click Here
McDurbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #2349
Roofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by I R BFOG View Post
Congrats on finishing the idle boosting, I should finish my last gametype today which is TDM.

For abductor I used 2 xboxs on checkout. I put the 3 guests on the other team, put all weapons to snub pistol to get the two bots to separate and just rushed their spawn. You can set it to as many rounds as you like but after a few rounds a bot will be leader so gets slightly tricky but not too bad. Also pretty good for first bloods if you shotgun one of the guest before capturing the leader.

And guardian, you can get while idle boosting by using a guest to hit start at the main menu. Put the guest on your team and do one round games. You will be leader every game after the second. You will win as leader about 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 games.
Thx, congarats to you too.

That sounds good for Abductor. I didn't think to just put 3 on the other side. You should be able to do the leader trick to always make one of those players the leader so it's never a bot.

As for Guardian, it's the one in the video on the first page where you have to rescue your own leader. I think you are confusing it with Sovereign which is where you need to win as the leader. I already have that one done. Finished it during the idle boosting like you were saying.

Ok, well that sounds easy enough. Just gotta find a second copy of the game.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:53 AM   #2350
I R BFOG

xBFOGx's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofus View Post
Thx, congarats to you too.

That sounds good for Abductor. I didn't think to just put 3 on the other side. You should be able to do the leader trick to always make one of those players the leader so it's never a bot.

As for Guardian, it's the one in the video on the first page where you have to rescue your own leader. I think you are confusing it with Sovereign which is where you need to win as the leader. I already have that one done. Finished it during the idle boosting like you were saying.

Ok, well that sounds easy enough. Just gotta find a second copy of the game.
Yeah sorry i was definitely confusing it with sovereign. I should really wake up before posting sometimes lol.

From memory the leader trick doesn't work with more than 2 profiles or on 2 different teams. I seem to remember trialing everything and couldn't get it to work. I did abductor on 15 round games and i think there was only 3 or 4 times when a bot was leader. The leader will rotate around every 5 rounds

17,960 games down, 40 to go!
Old 03-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #2351
Omni CEO

any tips on the best and quickest way to idle warzone?

have 3 consoles and 6 profiles

or is just 1 best?
Old 03-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #2352
SuperiorPosture

a calico cat's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni CEO View Post
any tips on the best and quickest way to idle warzone?

have 3 consoles and 6 profiles

or is just 1 best?
Delete cache and play offline on 1 console so the "man up" rule works. 2v1 with 1 minute rounds. You'll win every game, and have it done in no time.

Last edited by SuperiorPosture; 03-13-2012 at 11:41 PM.
SuperiorPosture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #2353
TheGreyMan

The Grey Man's Gamercard
Quote:
It does what I said it does when you quoted me and said I was wrong.
Hahaha fair enough. Bummer though.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:28 AM   #2354
Omni CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorPosture View Post
Delete cache and play offline on 1 console so the "man up" rule works. 2v1 with 1 minute rounds. You'll win every game, and have it done in no time.
Tried that, every time i would sign in the second controller, the memory selection option pops, up and then it freezes.

but i guess if i try it with just me, vs the 2 insane bots i presume you mean that.
it might work.
thanks

Last edited by Omni CEO; 03-14-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:07 AM   #2355
SuperiorPosture

a calico cat's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni CEO View Post
Tried that, every time i would sign in the second controller, the memory selection option pops, up and then it freezes.

but i guess if i try it with just me, vs the 2 insane bots i presume you mean that.
it might work.
thanks
No, you and a bot against another bot. There's no way the other bot will kill both of you. Especially on casual.

Last edited by SuperiorPosture; 03-14-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:41 AM   #2356
Omni CEO

Quote:
No, you and a bot against another bot. There's no way the other bot will kill both of you. Especially on casual.
oh i see.
yeah i have it that way, me and insane bot vs, 1 insane bot.
1 round to win with 1 minute.

on casual wouldnt it take longer to win? resulting in more stalemates
Old 03-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #2357
TriRock

TriRock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 2   You ARE the Controller Challenge Club - Tier 1   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 2   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 1   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Inebriated Jedi   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   Family Corner Challenge Club - Tier 2   Family Corner Challenge Club - Tier 1   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1
Total Awards: 35 (more» ...)
Quote:
Why not just use 2 controllers then and have your primary account and 1 bot play against the idle controller?

Achievement #1000 - Seek and Destroy - Achievement #10000 - Fully Evolved

Overachiever: 54 points - 15 Staff Clubs - C/F Clubs 7-4-0

TriRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #2358
Viper187

NoLifeDGenerate's Gamercard
WTF? My Field Engineer is locked at Onyx 1000/1000 after playing Horde for hours, but Battle Mistress is double Onyx and still counting up. Why the hell is one able to go double onyx and the other isn't?

Seriously 2.0 and 3.0

Boycott XB1 until it can be bought WITHOUT Kinect!
Viper187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #2359
McDurbin

llDurbinll's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper187 View Post
WTF? My Field Engineer is locked at Onyx 1000/1000 after playing Horde for hours, but Battle Mistress is double Onyx and still counting up. Why the hell is one able to go double onyx and the other isn't?
Because it was insanely easy to onyx the field engineer medal so Epic capped it because people were using it to level up fast.

Extremely Serious
Check out my video guide for South Park:Tenorman's Revenge. Gold Time and collectibles,Click Here
McDurbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:00 AM   #2360
Viper187

NoLifeDGenerate's Gamercard
Quote:
Because it was insanely easy to onyx the field engineer medal so Epic capped it because people were using it to level up fast.
Oh, that's real fair. Cap Horde stuff and leave VS alone. Screw anyone that just wants to play Horde exclusively.

Seriously 2.0 and 3.0

Boycott XB1 until it can be bought WITHOUT Kinect!
Viper187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:55 AM   #2361
SuperiorPosture

a calico cat's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriRock View Post
Why not just use 2 controllers then and have your primary account and 1 bot play against the idle controller?
You could. But odds are, the minute will end anyway before the bot gets to the idle controller. If you set bot vs bot, though, there's a 50% chance that your bot kills the other bot, especially if you disable all but 1 weapon. The bots will automatically rush that weapon and you get a coin toss on the game ending sooner, basically.

Despite the careful record keeping I kept for Wingman, I did not keep data for Warzone, so I can't empirically show that this is faster. It just seemed to work better, but I concede there is a chance for mental rounding errors when noting the game progress.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:24 AM   #2362
TheGreyMan

The Grey Man's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriRock View Post
Quote:
You could. But odds are, the minute will end anyway before the bot gets to the idle controller. If you set bot vs bot, though, there's a 50% chance that your bot kills the other bot, especially if you disable all but 1 weapon. The bots will automatically rush that weapon and you get a coin toss on the game ending sooner, basically.
As TriRock says, this has to be the preferred method when boosting a medal that does not require ribbons (which need bots set to fill) or when you are looking to boost wins as well as match numbers.

The simple solution is to set the round time to 2 mins. Allowing ample time for the win. Also don't forget that Casual bots do not sprint, whereas Insane bots do. So if idle boosting it makes sense to use the more aggressive bots who will cover ground quicker and therefore rack up the numbers for you. Also I've tried weapon pick-up options, but TBH I'm starting to think disabling all pick-ups might be favourable, since the bots then do not spend time looking for weapons, which they will do otherwise. This offsets the advantage gained by giving them the best weapons.

Of course it wouldn't hurt to set up a match and just sit and watch a few rounds. You'll see the bot behaviour differences first hand.

Also tracking stats after a few hours' boosting will reveal how successful those setting tweaks have been.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #2363
Muppet May Cry

Muppet May Cry's Gamercard
Does anyone know if you can earn money for the I'm Rich medal by playing solo?
Old 03-16-2012, 01:50 AM   #2364
Omni CEO

Quote:

Despite the careful record keeping I kept for Wingman, I did not keep data for Warzone, so I can't empirically show that this is faster. It just seemed to work better, but I concede there is a chance for mental rounding errors when noting the game progress.
well i used the example you set, and from 806 to 2454 in 2 days. i think it should be onyxed by tomorrow night.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #2365
TheGreyMan

The Grey Man's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet May Cry View Post
Does anyone know if you can earn money for the I'm Rich medal by playing solo?
I think so, yes. The general rule of thumb is anything requiring a ribbon cannot be played solo. So for founder and point man, go split screen.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #2366
TheGreyMan

The Grey Man's Gamercard
Quote:

Ah, I must hold my hands up to committing the cardinal sin of forums, not reading your post closely enough. Sorry.

I hadn't paid attention to the aspect of weapon spawn. This is a nice idea. But only if there is a weapon which is common to all maps. Otherwise nothing will spawn in some rounds. And I must confess I'm in the dark as to which weapons spawn on which maps by default.

I'm also tempted by the delete cache and revert to original rules suggestion as my idle boost warzone matches used to fly by, that's for sure. I'm a little worried at the idea of losing some stats, though, and also about popping up on Epic's radar with loads of medals that I have obviously earned by gaming their system too much. Possibility of wrist-slapů? Dunno.

But thanks, great suggestions.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #2367
ShawtyTheStokie

SMC RiskyShawty's Gamercard
hey - i haven't had this game long!

I have way more than 100 kills with the lancer and the hammer gun, but not unlocked the medal - am i doing something wrong?
Old 03-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #2368
The Duke of Darkness

The Allslayer's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawtyTheStokie View Post

I have way more than 100 kills with the lancer and the hammer gun, but not unlocked the medal - am i doing something wrong?
Weapon kills only count in versus.
The Duke of Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #2369
ShawtyTheStokie

SMC RiskyShawty's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke of Darkness View Post
Weapon kills only count in versus.
Thanks man, i never knew that!......llots i don't lnow about this game i think, lol
Old 03-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #2370
TheGreyMan

The Grey Man's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawtyTheStokie View Post

You mean in your game stats? It's only the kills in vs mode that count. Not in Horde or Campaign, unfortunately. Are you looking at the weapon kills on the medal progress screen or somewhere else?

EDIT: LOL by the time I typed out my answer you'd beaten me to it.