PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Gears of War 3
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-13-2012, 02:06 AM   #1
LykanLunatik

LykanLunatik's Gamercard
Faster to boost wingman idle? or killing the bots

Want to get this stupid onyx out of the way, but I had a question. Would it be better to run through the 3000 matches while playing? that way I could work on other medals as well? or is it better for my sanity to just idle it...?

How long should this take as well?
LykanLunatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:19 AM   #2
SuperiorPosture

a calico cat's Gamercard
If you have other game types to go through yet, I'd say get your weapon kills and first bloods on those. Wingman SUCKS, so idle boost it, no matter how long it takes. I am so glad I'm done with it.
SuperiorPosture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:22 AM   #3
LykanLunatik

LykanLunatik's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorPosture View Post
If you have other game types to go through yet, I'd say get your weapon kills and first bloods on those. Wingman SUCKS, so idle boost it, no matter how long it takes. I am so glad I'm done with it.

How many days (weeks) should this take idling? I just got the 300 for prescott and stopped, now I'm picking it up again

Its already pissing me off...
Old 02-13-2012, 02:30 AM   #4
Iv AJay vI

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Dreading that also. I'm sure it's gonna take weeks to idle. Hopefully multiple boxes will speed it up.. not holding my breath though.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:33 AM   #5
Zero619

Dragoon XZero's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Not 100% sure but I think it takes roughly 2 straight weeks with one console
Old 02-13-2012, 02:38 AM   #6
LykanLunatik

LykanLunatik's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero619 View Post
Not 100% sure but I think it takes roughly 2 straight weeks with one console
Ugh...well better get it out of the way
Old 02-13-2012, 02:41 AM   #7
Zero619

Quote:
Originally Posted by LykanLunatik View Post
Ugh...well better get it out of the way
I'm at 48 onyx soon to be 52 and I'm leaving that till last I got Skunker done thank god! That's just as bad as wingman
Old 02-13-2012, 02:51 AM   #8
SuperiorPosture

a calico cat's Gamercard
With the Fenix Rising maps, idle boosting Wingman takes longer. Figure 6 per hour tops. So 500 hours. Ouch.
SuperiorPosture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:54 AM   #9
LykanLunatik

LykanLunatik's Gamercard
if i could set it to even 5 kills it would go by more quickly (1 would be a godsend)
Old 02-13-2012, 03:19 AM   #10
McDurbin

llDurbinll's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
It took me almost a month of 8+ hour a day boosting to get wingman done. I idled it but I also had 3 consoles and I posted and had people join my game and get the matches done in like 2 min.

Extremely Serious
Check out my video guide for South Park:Tenorman's Revenge. Gold Time and collectibles,Click Here
McDurbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:24 AM   #11
LykanLunatik

LykanLunatik's Gamercard
i think they need to bump the onyx requirement down to 1000 for wingman...
Old 02-13-2012, 03:39 AM   #12
xhunterrrr

Hunter XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Representer   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   5,000 Posts   x360a Representer
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Wingman is terrible. Actually playing against casual bots will be much faster than just idling the matches, but the game type is boring as hell.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:55 AM   #13
dakisbac

Send a message via Skype™ to dakisbac

Mister Dak's Gamercard

Awards Showcase VGO Gold Medal   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Minty   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Third Place   Staff Club - dakisbac   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - AOS Puck
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
I'm pretty sure it took over 3 weeks of basically 24/7 wingman idling. Though maybe my settings weren't ideal.
dakisbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:04 AM   #14
DaChiefOfOwnage

DaChiefOfOwnage's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by LykanLunatik View Post
i think they need to bump the onyx requirement down to 1000 for wingman...
We can only pray, pray for the sanity of any mortal who attempts 3000 Wingman matches, pray for the consoles that sit there hours on end, pray that Epic Games reduces the requirement. They may take our time, they may take our money, but they will never take, [REDACTED]

Last edited by DaChiefOfOwnage; 12-24-2013 at 03:05 PM.
DaChiefOfOwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:19 AM   #15
dakisbac

Send a message via Skype™ to dakisbac

Mister Dak's Gamercard

Awards Showcase VGO Gold Medal   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Minty   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Third Place   Staff Club - dakisbac   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - AOS Puck
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaChiefOfOwnage View Post
We can only pray, pray for the sanity of any mortal who attempts 3000 Wingman matches, pray for the consoles that sit there hours on end, pray that Epic Games reduces the requirement. They may take our time, they may take our money, but they will never take, our virginity!
As much as I'd like the requirements to be lowered, I don't think it would be fair at this point now that a fair amount of people have unlocked it. I'm sure they'll end up doing some stupid events like 20,000,000x XP or 5x kills later on in the life of the game though.

Last edited by dakisbac; 02-13-2012 at 04:31 AM.
dakisbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:47 AM   #16
LykanLunatik

LykanLunatik's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhunterrrr View Post
Wingman is terrible. Actually playing against casual bots will be much faster than just idling the matches, but the game type is boring as hell.
I figured it would, but would make me want to blow my brains out.

I can finish a match in a couple minutes on casual, but the load times...and the game mode...ugh, think i'll play it when i'm feeling like playing gears and idle when i'm not.

Turn it off at night to give my system a rest, idle/play during the day. I have other games to play while i wait
Old 02-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
DaChiefOfOwnage

DaChiefOfOwnage's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakisbac View Post
As much as I'd like the requirements to be lowered, I don't think it would be fair at this point now that a fair amount of people have unlocked it. I'm sure they'll end up doing some stupid events like 20,000,000x XP or 5x kills later on in the life of the game though.
I don't think it would be unfair. Annoying and pisstaking, yes. But if you were in the rush to get Seriously 3.0 ASAP then you should be very close if not there already. Thus even with the requirement lowered, whoever was aiming to be one of the first to get Seriously 3.0 (or first thousand w/e) will still be far in the lead of those who are still going for it, just not as intensively.

Just like people pay for Day 1 DLC/Games, is it unfair that prices get lowered for those willing to wait? Nope. Does it take the piss? Yes. Am I arguing this because I would like to see it lowered and I'm biased toward that? Yes.
DaChiefOfOwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #18
zurgi

Anvil Gate's Gamercard
took me about a month to get it onyx lol 3-4 weeks, with only one console

zurgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #19
twitchinmonkey

twitchinmonkey's Gamercard
The quickest way I found to idle boost Wingman was with 2 idle controllers on one team vs. 2 insane bots. With only the 2 bots getting all the kills it's still slow, but faster than 7 bots and 1 idle controller

twitchinmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #20
Tanelorn

tanelorn82's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchinmonkey View Post
The quickest way I found to idle boost Wingman was with 2 idle controllers on one team vs. 2 insane bots. With only the 2 bots getting all the kills it's still slow, but faster than 7 bots and 1 idle controller
This seems a good way to boost it, I'll try it.

Sure, it would be faster to play against casual bots.. but, it's insane to play that much games on such a game type.

Tanelorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #21
Spectreshade85

spectreshade85's Gamercard
I left mine on for two nights ( not during the day) and only have 59 matches. 10 kills, insane bots, either no weapons or boomshots only. I hate it.
50K GS: 8/3/11 (Dragon Age 2: Knowledgeable)
60K GS: 4/20/12 (Kinect Adventures: Shining Example)
70K GS: 3/30/13 (Bioshock: Infinite: Heartbreaker)
80K GS: 3/4/14 (Darksiders II: The Secondary Adventure)

Spectreshade85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #22
Zero619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectreshade85 View Post
I left mine on for two nights ( not during the day) and only have 59 matches. 10 kills, insane bots, either no weapons or boomshots only. I hate it.
This sums it up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bwah.jpg (6.2 KB, 98 views)
Old 02-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #23
skyodyssey

Why so much hate for wingman? It is by far my favorite game type and the only one I'll get without boosting. Almost to 2000 matches, mostly ranked. I also play execution. I hate the modes that allow re-spawn, there is very little consequence for your actions.
skyodyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #24
Omni CEO

o The Source o's Gamercard
Yeah, it took me 18 days to onyx wingman with one console.

thought it would have taken longer but i had already boosted the game modes for prescott a while earlier so I had a head start.
Omni CEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #25
Destro

Destro WOD's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyodyssey View Post
Why so much hate for wingman? It is by far my favorite game type and the only one I'll get without boosting. Almost to 2000 matches, mostly ranked. I also play execution. I hate the modes that allow re-spawn, there is very little consequence for your actions.
I also don't really like respawn modes, there is consequence in TDM tough, you got to admit that, but i always tough GOW was to be played Execution/Warzone style... The strategy, the control of the map, that was what defined GOW. BUT Wingman is also a mode i never play. First im a stats guy, so having a win/loss of 0.5 just because there is 1 chance on 4 to win, not to mention sometimes people are lucky, they just see more people than you... Also no power weapons at the beginning mean corner camping with shotty, since there is so much ennemy team in the (small) maps of GOW3(most of them anyway)

No really wingman is a mode i don't wanna play at all... im no fan of CTL or KOTH but i recognize them as real modes, wingman should be pretty much a free for all(instead of 2 players) respawn mode... where everybody would rush shotty in hand... this way it would please the run and gunner and the others could have more fun playing more strategicaly.

But one thing for sure, epic failed again when they decided the medals to be 6000 games in all modes. They should had tough CTL would not be so popular so 1000 would had been enought. Wingman is a mode you play on ocasion mostly so it should had been 500... KOTH could had been 2000(cause its popular even if i don't like it that much) warzone/execution both at 1500 and finally TDM at 3000.... THATS IT

Gears of War Legend
Destro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #26
metallfan

metallfan's Gamercard
Best way I've come across to get wingman out of the way is find 3 friends or people online with 2 controllers each (so you can bring a guest), figure out your schedules and take shifts of like 1 or 2 hours killing everyone else. Rounds take about a minute if you're killing all 3 other teams and you'll finish each game in 2 rounds... haven't timed how many games this is per hour with the loading in between games but you can also work on weapon kills this way as well as skunker.
metallfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #27
erspence

Ideal settings with a single console is ~20 days of 24/7 idle boosting for the 3000 matches. Its absoutely brutal. Playing is much, much quicker but its such a horrible gametype to play IMO.
erspence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #28
LykanLunatik

LykanLunatik's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by erspence View Post
Ideal settings with a single console is ~20 days of 24/7 idle boosting for the 3000 matches. Its absoutely brutal. Playing is much, much quicker but its such a horrible gametype to play IMO.
Yikes, thats what i'm looking at now, starting today. I can post in the thread when I'm done if anyone interested in time frame. I'm at about 380 matches now.

This is the only medal that i think is going to be a pain...mainly because it takes so long...
Old 02-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #29
McDurbin

llDurbinll's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakisbac View Post
I agree, they shouldn't lower the requirements at all for any medal. They just need to keep it the same. Now I wouldn't have a problem with like a 5x kill event, but I don't think they could even do that. I got pissed when they did all those xp events for gears 2. I spent like 2 months guardian boosting as soon as they released the dlc for level 100 and only had one double xp event. Then to see them do those ridiculous xp events made me upset because of how easy they made the achievement.

But level 100 is nothing like seriously 3.0 so I really hope they don't lower any more medals as it shows that you are a true gears fan if you obtain it.

And comparing lowering the requirements for an achievement to price reduction doesn't make sense to me because they are two different things. That's how the economy works, as an item gets older or loses popularity, the price goes down. Achievement requirements don't really relate. Maybe that's just me.

Extremely Serious
Check out my video guide for South Park:Tenorman's Revenge. Gold Time and collectibles,Click Here

Last edited by McDurbin; 02-13-2012 at 11:17 PM.
McDurbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:52 AM   #30
I R BFOG

xBFOGx's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchinmonkey View Post
I still need about 1900 wingman games idled and I was fiddling around with different settings on sandbar and with that setting you suggested I watched it go 5 rounds without a kill. Sandbar is just awful.

For 2 consoles would 2afk vs 2afk vs 2 insane bots with diggers be quicker? Or add another 2 bots in for a full lobby?

Oh and regarding reducing the requirements. I have all weapon kills and would have no problem with epic reducing the requirements down to a sane level. Yes it would mean people would get it easier now than when the game came out but whatever. It would only be better for the game.

Last edited by I R BFOG; 02-14-2012 at 01:37 AM.
I R BFOG is offline   Reply With Quote