PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooters > Gears of War 3
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
UndeadGamer

Synicle Jester's Gamercard
***MAJOR SPOILER*** Discussion

So im curious what reaction everyone had when they saw that dom died. I mean was anyone really expecting it or am i the only one that was speachless and had a "seriously wth omg" moment.

“You show me a truly funny girl who doesn’t have emotional issues, and I’ll introduce you to my stable of unicorn thoroughbreds ridden by leprechaun jockeys.”

"Scrandys are scrandy; that’s what they do. You can’t actually try to understand them; you just have to go with it."
UndeadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Page1992

Page1992's Gamercard
I honestly thought we'd only see him close his eyes and then see him again later on in the game as he dived out or something. I must admit, his death was pretty obvious
Page1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
UndeadGamer

Synicle Jester's Gamercard
How was it obvious if i may ask. I figured something was odd when he put his Cog Tage on the angel but didn't think anything of it. Then once i saw him throw his gun down i knew what was going to happen. So how pray tell was it obvious that it was going to happen?

“You show me a truly funny girl who doesn’t have emotional issues, and I’ll introduce you to my stable of unicorn thoroughbreds ridden by leprechaun jockeys.”

"Scrandys are scrandy; that’s what they do. You can’t actually try to understand them; you just have to go with it."
UndeadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
Jackalus88

H3R0 F0R H1R3's Gamercard
I personally called it during the week leading upto the games release, discussing with friends how and who I thought, if anyone, would die. As soon as I saw Dom in slow motion, on his knees and talking to Maria's grave, I was just waiting in anticipation for Dom to soon sacrifice himself so that Marcus and Co could finish what they started.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
kieran spartan

kieran spartan's Gamercard
I was shocked if anyone was to die i thought it would be carmine
kieran spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
Jackalus88

H3R0 F0R H1R3's Gamercard
UndeadGamer, as myself and Page1992 both referenced to the grave/Angel/Cog Tag scene, I'm guessing we're not the only ones who thought at that moment 'Oh no, something bad is about to happen to Dom'. It's the same with movies and TV shows, when a scene similar to this occurs, it leaves you wondering and expecting.

To be honest, I wish I hadn't already sussed it out and could enjoy/experience the OMG moment you mentioned.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
Bobbe

Spongebobbe's Gamercard
i was like :'(((((((((((((((((((
Old 09-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
locoloco

xXxLocoLocoxXx's Gamercard
Simply having Dom's name in the title is essentially a spoiler. Any intelligent person would deduce something of great negative importance happens to him and since he's already lost everything, the only logical next step is his life.

In short, thanks for attempting to not spoiler the ending.
locoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #9
Baihu1983

Baihu1983's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran spartan View Post
I was shocked if anyone was to die i thought it would be carmine

Nah Epic screwed that up by announcing the results of the Carmine live/die av shirt comp. They should have just not said anything.

Guessed Dom was going to die as soon as he was left on his own during the gun fight but at the same time thought he could have just told Marcus to shoot the explosives as he jumped off. But he wanted to die to be back with his wife and kids.

And while i love the daytime settings in Gears 3 i think this should have happened in a greyer/darker setting.

3rd November 2012 - Joined the 100K club

IF YOU SEND ME A FRIEND REQUEST OVER LIVE PLEASE ALSO SEND A MESSAGE SAYING WHY?

Raptar
Voice

Baihu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #10
Nozza XBA

SnozzyBear's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Road Map - Platinum   Micro Guide - Silver   Over Achiever - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 3   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
One bit put me off and that was what he said before the crash:

(something like) - "You didn't expect it to end like this did you Maria!!!". I really didn't like that as his last words.

I would of much preferred something more calm and at peace. Like a little word to Maria "I'm coming home... See you soon honey". Would of suited the mood and feel of the moment more with me and the music was lush, so again, it fits it more in my eyes!

Onto the main question; It was a shock to me. I don't really follow GoW all that mush or even talk about it, so for me it came out of nowhere. Though as soon as I saw him get blocked off and look at the tanker, I knew what was to come. Was a sad moment indeed.

Nozza XBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #11
Page1992

Page1992's Gamercard
It was obvious due to the fact that Dom had lost his kids and then Maria. The only thing he had to fight for was Marcus. Dom would want Marcus to live on so that he can sort withgs out with Anya. It's pretty much said in Jacinto's Remnant and Anvil gate books.
Page1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:10 AM   #12
Rivercurse

Send a message via Skype™ to Rivercurse

Rivercurse's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
To be fair, I was kind of expecting it.

I liked the addition of the mad world backing music though, I think it made that cutscene feel a lot stronger than it actually was.

"Everything we've ever known. It's all hanging by a thread."

Razor's EdgeDark WitnessRequiem

Rivercurse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #13
Nozza XBA

SnozzyBear's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Road Map - Platinum   Micro Guide - Silver   Over Achiever - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 3   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
Oh oh oh!

I forgot... I love the knife stab at the end! I forgot all about it until then and Dom passing it over and never taking it back. Means Marcus has a something to remember him by. Was a nice touch there and the final kill!

Nozza XBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #14
Divine Darkness

x Kiyoshi x's Gamercard
Lol i knew Dom was doing to die just from the commercials, if you think about it the whole brothers till the end thing gives it away that someone was gonna die and they wouldn't kill the main char off.

"Defender"
[Mass Effect 3]
Divine Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #15
Teh Phantomz

l The Phantom l's Gamercard
When Dom was on the other building by himself I knew he would die but not sure how. I was actually a bit upset because I liked him the most but after I was hoping he jumped out the last minute or anything, just wishful thinking.

Party time Party time Party time Party time Party time Party time

We all just need a little bit of Sunshine in our lives.

Teh Phantomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #16
Baihu1983

Baihu1983's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Darkness View Post
Lol i knew Dom was doing to die just from the commercials, if you think about it the whole brothers till the end thing gives it away that someone was gonna die and they wouldn't kill the main char off.

R* have been doing it this gen so you never know it could have caught on. The only suprise i had was it came fairly early on in the game.

IF YOU SEND ME A FRIEND REQUEST OVER LIVE PLEASE ALSO SEND A MESSAGE SAYING WHY?

Raptar
Voice

Old 09-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #17
pritchie

pritchie's Gamercard
I also think the title could have been a bit more subtle! :P

I was absolutely gutted, cried my eyes out!!
I knew it was coming as it'd been fairly obvious Dom was only living for Marcus, the books etc. but it didn't make it easier!

Poor Dom, I missed him running through the rest of the campaign
pritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #18
upindat

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I was shocked too. I really enjoyed the way the cutscenes were. Gave me goose bumps.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #19
Expressbishop

bishop swe's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baihu1983 View Post

And while i love the daytime settings in Gears 3 i think this should have happened in a greyer/darker setting.
+1 on that. Feels like they "learned" a little too much from Bulletstorm, colorful "paradises" isn't Gears..

And yeah I expected it, anyone who have seen Gladiator which is pretty much everyone should've expected it.

He's finally back with his wife and kids instead of miserable living just for the sake of it. It's actually good and not sad that he died. Finally he can be happy again. Would anyone really want to live after you killed your own wife even though the state she was in? Sounds like a cliché but he's in a better place

Expressbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #20
Tai_MT

Send a message via AIM to Tai_MT Send a message via MSN to Tai_MT

YouGotOwned12's Gamercard
Cool

I knew it was coming once he started talking to his dead wife. He put his COG Tags on the statue and I riffed "Why'd you do that? Now if you die, nobody is going to know who you were!". My teammate got a good laugh at that. And then when he gave Marcus the knife and didn't take it back, I knew it was set in stone for sure.

My reaction was one of "Meh".

I immediately thought of three plotholes for why it DIDN'T NEED to happen.

1. The other Gears could've jumped down with Dom and got in the vehicle with him to drive off.
2. Dom didn't actually have to be in the vehicle at the last moment it hit. He could've drove it to a certain distance and then bailed out and let it collide with the gas station like they do in movies. It was a pretty smooth gradient and he wouldn't have missed it at all.
3. Dom told Marcus and company to jump like six times. Marcus never listened ONCE. Now, if he HAD listened, he could've jumped down after told and bolted for the tunnel that Dom could've met them part way in.

And after the level was over and it was announced we still needed fuel, I cursed Dom for being such a stupid jerk.

"Thanks Dom, now we have to go to this OTHER PLACE to get fuel 'cause you had to blow it all up at THIS PLACE. Oh, and you killed yourself to deny us fuel. Brilliant. I'm glad your stupid ass is dead now".

Though, I DID like how Dom's knife was used at the end. I had forgotten Marcus had it up to that point. Then he delivers his one liner and uses the knife and I was ecstatic.

Actually, I didn't realize the full extent of Dom's death until I (second player) was suddenly playing as an annoying rookie who whined constantly. It was then that I missed Dom.

"It's worth remembering that all reviews are subjective personal opinions and if you personally enjoy the game, then they shouldn't get to you. Unless there's a dispicable nagging little doubt in the back of your mind that maybe you're not having as much fun as you've convinced yourself you're having. And won't go away no matter how many times you try to slap it away with weak excuses."
Tai_MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #21
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   The Helping Hand   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
I loved Dom. I knew he would be the one to die and I am glad they gave him a good death. Made me feel super bad for Marcus though, as he said he lost his Brother.
I was hoping his last words would be something to Marcus rather than Maria lol
Gackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #22
WickedD365

Send a message via Yahoo to WickedD365

WickedD365's Gamercard
I had a feeling Dom would die, the whole "Brothers to the End" thing kinda gave that away, but I wasn't expecting it that way. I cried throughout the chapter. A very emotional ride.

They better kill Carmine in DLC. Cliffy said "Carmine will survive until the credits"
Credits have rolled, time to kill the bastard.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #23
Divine Darkness

x Kiyoshi x's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baihu1983 View Post
R* have been doing it this gen so you never know it could have caught on. The only suprise i had was it came fairly early on in the game.
That is true, still pretty sad to see Dom go tho. Just gives more assurance to the fact that the trilogy is over unfortunately.

"Defender"
[Mass Effect 3]
Divine Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #24
inflamedscythe

AnCieNT MAGiiKS's Gamercard
i guessed it from the trailer as dom was the only one not there at the ash part where there defending i didnt full on guess he was going to die but just thought it to be odd how he wasnt there at all
inflamedscythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #25
Baihu1983

Baihu1983's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai_MT View Post
Actually, I didn't realize the full extent of Dom's death until I (second player) was suddenly playing as an annoying rookie who whined constantly. It was then that I missed Dom.

Hated that character, when he was yelling at the ash man i just wanted to chainsaw him.

Raptar
Voice

Old 09-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #26
Crimson Ridley

Awards Showcase Subscriber - Bronze   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Platinum   Staff Club - dakisbac   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Unfortunately, somebody spoiled this in another thread so now I won't get to experience it, but I did have an inkling that Dom would die. When someone is as emo as that guy, they do the world a favour.

I don't understand why he's so bothered about his wife, she was prettier when she got shot.
Crimson Ridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #27
THUGGEDOUT

THUGGEDOUT1's Gamercard
Had a feeling he would die when he was alone on the other side, then when I saw what he was doing, I thought Epic would try to throw us a curveball and make us think he was dead (when really he jumped out of the truck in the tunnel before it blew up.), only for him to show up later in the game and help us out. But it didn't happen that way and I was like "damn." for about a couple minutes...

"Mr. Mojo Rising!! "

THUGGEDOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #28
Baihu1983

Baihu1983's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUGGEDOUT View Post
Had a feeling he would die when he was alone on the other side, then when I saw what he was doing, I thought Epic would try to throw us a curveball and make us think he was dead (when really he jumped out of the truck in the tunnel before it blew up.), only for him to show up later in the game and help us out. But it didn't happen that way and I was like "damn." for about a couple minutes...

I actually thought that for a sec later on when Marcus was speaking to Cole who said something like ''you wont belive who we have with us'' or something like that but it turned out to be the navy.

Raptar
Voice

Old 09-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #29
brentkid

kids got soul's Gamercard
Seemed pretty obvious. Lots of hints. Leaving his tag on the grave. The obvious significance of him not taking his knife back from Marcus. The chapter being named "Brothers Till the End".

The inevitability was made up for with the use of Mad World, though. At least for me personally.
brentkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #30
FPS GLIMMER

FPS GLIMMER's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Saw it coming a mile away. Why else would they put "brothers to the end" everywhere. When the starting chapter "brothers to the end" showed up, i was like, Oh this is where dom dies. Completely expecting it.

I also felt nothing when it happen. No build up or anything. It was like, okay here is where we kill dom. At least in the second one where he killed maria i at least felt something. It had a good buildup to that point.
FPS GLIMMER is offline   Reply With Quote