PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Gears of War 3
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
fullmetal289

Question Cannot attain So Close Ribbon!!

I've tried to earn it.. but it doesn't unlock, can anyone explain how to get it and at what point I need to get killed at to earn it? I've tried it where I stand up then get killed but to no avail...
fullmetal289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
SDM Kahuna

sdm kahuna's Gamercard
You get it by killing someone who is getting up from a down not the other way round.

Best best is if you have downed someone all by themselves *unlikely but possible* switch to a shotgun and stand right next to them. Soon as you see the animation start to get up go all Dirty Harry on them and your good for the ribbon
Old 09-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
Quid Squid

elKamikazeSquid's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
if just going for this ribbon you can set up a private filled lobby with a friend and have him down you. Then when you are getting up and the "tap A" icon disappears have him shoot you with a shotgun.
Quid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
ColdSpider72

ColdSpider72's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDM Kahuna View Post
You get it by killing someone who is getting up from a down not the other way round.

Best best is if you have downed someone all by themselves *unlikely but possible* switch to a shotgun and stand right next to them. Soon as you see the animation start to get up go all Dirty Harry on them and your good for the ribbon

Don't you just love answers that are really, really, ridiculously wrong?
ColdSpider72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
Quid Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun72 View Post
except that if no one notices you and you use this method it will work. you just have to wait for the person to start their animation.

not certain, but it could possibly even work if someone is reviving someone else and you happen to get a lucky shot in. the key though, is getting the kill while they are in mid-animation.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #6
ColdSpider72

ColdSpider72's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quid Squid View Post
except that if no one notices you and you use this method it will work. you just have to wait for the person to start their animation.

not certain, but it could possibly even work if someone is reviving someone else and you happen to get a lucky shot in. the key though, is getting the kill while they are in mid-animation.

Maybe, but he said 'Not the other way around'.....Which is completely wrong. If it is possible the other way, then great; However, the ribbon description in the game clearly states 'killed while recovering from DBNO'. So to state that only the opposite is true, he clearly hasn't even read the description. Anyway, I got it myself (not intentionaly) while playing KOTH. Someone gnasher'd me just as I was standing up.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #7
Quid Squid

Quote:
Maybe, but he said 'Not the other way around'.....Which is completely wrong. If it is possible the other way, then great; However, the ribbon description in the game clearly states 'killed while recovering from DBNO'. So to state that only the opposite is true, he clearly hasn't even read the description. Anyway, I got it myself (not intentionaly) while playing KOTH. Someone gnasher'd me just as I was standing up.
"You get it by killing someone who is getting up from a down not the other way round"

Which is correct. The op said they tried shooting someone as they got up.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
SDM Kahuna

sdm kahuna's Gamercard
Quote:
I will happily admit my error I got the entirely the wrong way round and as such my appologies
Old 09-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #9
darthchimp182

Darth Chimp's Gamercard
i just got this ribbon,
i was Down, but not out, just about to get up, and was killed just as the animation started, and the little thing came up on the bottom right saying i got a 'so close' ribbon

I really want one of those Crystal balls that allow people to see DLC before it's even released well enough to pass judgement....
...time to don the Level 5 Horse Armour and go raid me a Troll Cave!
darthchimp182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #10
tigersrule
Community & Events Team

Tiger XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Diamond   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Staff Club - tigersrule   Staff - Community and Events Team   1,000 Posts   x360a Representer
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Quote:
"You get it by killing someone who is getting up from a down not the other way round"

Maybe you should read his post again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Assault View Post
I've never been to California, but it's going to be a shame that my first trip out there will be mostly me kicking your ass.
Community Blogs | Ambassadors | Community Gaming | Artist of the Month
tigersrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #11
ColdSpider72

ColdSpider72's Gamercard

Quote:

He was impying that you had to be the one doing the killing and not the one being killed (hence, other way around). Capiche?

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Kahuna admitted his mistake which I give him props for since hardly anyone on this site is capable of that (gamer's ego and all).
Old 01-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
Sonikku Genesis

Sonikku Genesis's Gamercard
Cool

I feel as though I should clarify the method of receiving this ribbon since the description on how to obtain the ribbon is very hard to follow. Through trial and error I figured it out.

Follow these simple steps.

1. Select Private Match: KOTH (King of the Hill). I selected Sandbar since it is a large map and you are less likely to be interrupted depending on which corner of the map you decide to work on it.
2. Have a 2nd controller guest or friend (online or local) to assist you.
3. The 2nd player (friend or guest) must down you.
4. Do NOT press the 'A' button to revive yourself, allow your character to get up on its own. (best to set bleed out time to 5 seconds to speed up the process)
5. Have your friend/guest shoot you with the Gnasher Shotgun as soon as the animation of your character getting back up commences and the ribbon should appear directly afterwards.

I sincerely hope this helps most of you on your quest for the achievement.

Last edited by Sonikku Genesis; 01-18-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Sonikku Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
Nevander

Nevander's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
The stupid descriptions that EPIC gives are so vague and even wrong.

For example, Quick Kicker is to kick 5 "small enemies." What the hell does that mean? Who knew it meant Polyps, I wouldn't imagine to kick them, I would think tickers first.

Another example is Indigestion. Nowhere does it say that YOU HAVE TO BE SHOT for the grenade to explode. There is not an indication of how to do it. It just says kill an enemy with a swallowed grenade. WTF. I kept accidentally killing the last person because I though I had to push something. The guide says go near someone and explode. You might want to mention you have to be shot.

For this ribbon, So Close, it says "killed WHILE recovering from DBNO," when it actuality it's for getting killed right at the PEAK/END of recovering. I tried like 8 times while recovering, then my friend messed up the timing and he killed me AFTER I got up and then I got the stupid thing.

EPIC pisses me off sometimes. I hate vague things.

Signature by Gackt. Click it to visit the Classic FPS Gamers x360a social group!
Random friend requests or invites sent with no message will be deleted.
I have moved to PC gaming for the most part, so I won't be on Xbox LIVE much anymore.
Nevander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #14
Downsize

Downsize's Gamercard
This is how I obtained the "So Close" ribbon.

Set your Bleed time to 5 seconds. Have a Casual bot DBNO you, most of the time these guys will run away or stand next to you while your down, as soon as your rising from your DBNO, most likely the bot will gnasher you.

Keep trying it. I got a few of these ribbons just playing with 5 second bleedout time.
Downsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #15
the action frampton

action frampton's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevander View Post

For example, Quick Kicker is to kick 5 "small enemies." What the hell does that mean? Who knew it meant Polyps, I wouldn't imagine to kick them, I would think tickers first.
I realise it is off topic, but I got this ribbon by kicking 5 tickers in Arcade. It's a bonus if you can kick Polyps as well, but the description of this ribbon is not 'wrong'.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #16
DigiLuigi

DigiLuigi's Gamercard
Quote:

Another example is Indigestion. Nowhere does it say that YOU HAVE TO BE SHOT for the grenade to explode. There is not an indication of how to do it. It just says kill an enemy with a swallowed grenade. WTF. I kept accidentally killing the last person because I though I had to push something. The guide says go near someone and explode. You might want to mention you have to be shot.

For this ribbon, So Close, it says "killed WHILE recovering from DBNO," when it actuality it's for getting killed right at the PEAK/END of recovering. I tried like 8 times while recovering, then my friend messed up the timing and he killed me AFTER I got up and then I got the stupid thing.

EPIC pisses me off sometimes. I hate vague things.
For quick kicker, polyps and tickers both count. They're the only small enemies in the game so I don't see how that's vague.

As for so close, recovering from DBNO is the part where you're standing up. Anything before that is not recovering, just DBNO. It would be like saying someone is recovering from a coma while he's actually still in a coma.

So I don't think the descriptions are vague at all. People just need to put a little more effort into reading and understanding them, cause naturally reading them the wrong way won't give you any ribbons. They're supposed to be short descriptions, not walkthroughs or step by step guides.
DigiLuigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #17
BBowles

BBowles's Gamercard
DigiLuigi has it right. The descriptions aren't vague...some of you just need to brush up on your reading comprehension.

There are 3 things in the game that you can "kick": tickers, polyps, and chickens. It specifically says "enemies". While chickens are annoying at times, they're not enemies. Kick the other two. Basic logic >_>

As for indigestion, its not that hard to figure out unless you need a step by step instruction guide that won't fit in the description. There is no self-destruct button for a wild ticker. Hmm...I wonder how on earth a ticker would explode then...

And as stated, DBNO includes every second that the tap A button is on the screen. While you are are TRYING to get up, you are DBNO. Once the animation starts for getting up, you are RECOVERING. Once you can move again, you have RECOVERED. Small window, but pretty self-explanatory.

Star Ocean: The Last Hope
Ultimate Battler - Completed 2/9/11
BBowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #18
Nevander

Nevander's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   5,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the action frampton View Post
I realise it is off topic, but I got this ribbon by kicking 5 tickers in Arcade. It's a bonus if you can kick Polyps as well, but the description of this ribbon is not 'wrong'.
I didn't say that THIS one was wrong, I was speaking of the DBNO one. It is VAGUE however when it says SMALL ENEMIES instead of TICKERS OR POLYPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiLuigi View Post
For quick kicker, polyps and tickers both count. They're the only small enemies in the game so I don't see how that's vague.
Then why doesn't the description just say "kick 5 tickers or polyps?" It should be made simple enough for ANYONE to know exactly what it means without having to think.

Quote:
As for so close, recovering from DBNO is the part where you're standing up. Anything before that is not recovering, just DBNO. It would be like saying someone is recovering from a coma while he's actually still in a coma.
Really? I didn't know that reviving from DBNO was when you are getting up. Thanks for that! Like I said, I tried doing it, nothing would work until I got shotgunned in my face RIGHT WHEN I ACTUALLY GOT UP from pushing .

Quote:
So I don't think the descriptions are vague at all. People just need to put a little more effort into reading and understanding them, cause naturally reading them the wrong way won't give you any ribbons. They're supposed to be short descriptions, not walkthroughs or step by step guides.
So me thinking small enemies meant tickers and not polyps meant that I didn't understand the description? A ticker is a small enemy, at first thought I would imagine you could kick a ticker versus a polyp which would just explode when touched. Plus the guide mentions polyps right off, there is no mention of being able to kick tickers.

Sorry but I shouldn't have to go to a guide and look how to do a ribbon when the description should be easily understandable without vague descriptions. You can't tell me that "small enemies" vs "tickers or polyps" is vague. Making that the description wouldn't be the end of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBowles View Post
DigiLuigi has it right. The descriptions aren't vague...some of you just need to brush up on your reading comprehension.

There are 3 things in the game that you can "kick": tickers, polyps, and chickens. It specifically says "enemies". While chickens are annoying at times, they're not enemies. Kick the other two. Basic logic >_>
Above.

Quote:
As for indigestion, its not that hard to figure out unless you need a step by step instruction guide that won't fit in the description. There is no self-destruct button for a wild ticker. Hmm...I wonder how on earth a ticker would explode then...
It might be a little hard when I have hardly ever used a wild ticker in beast and expected the game to tell me how to blow up. The guide did say to "go near an enemy and explode" and the time of me doing this ribbon. IT MIGHT HAVE WANTED TO SAY HOW. Maybe a wild ticker can blow up the grenade inside it with stomach acid or something. Maybe it's magic. Who knows. The point is how was I supposed to know that I had to be shot for the grenade to blow up. There was no mention of that either and that has nothing to do with reading comprehension.

Quote:
And as stated, DBNO includes every second that the tap A button is on the screen. While you are are TRYING to get up, you are DBNO. Once the animation starts for getting up, you are RECOVERING. Once you can move again, you have RECOVERED. Small window, but pretty self-explanatory.
Once again, no shit. My character was literally right at the point of recovery and the ribbon would not register. I had to actually get out of DBNO right at the very end of it for the ribbon to unlock. This is a wrong description.

When it says WHILE recovering, I would think that would mean any time between pushing and getting out of DBNO. But no, that doesn't work. For me at least it had to be right when I recovered, so for me that description was wrong.

Signature by Gackt. Click it to visit the Classic FPS Gamers x360a social group!
I have moved to PC gaming for the most part, so I won't be on Xbox LIVE much anymore.

Last edited by Nevander; 01-26-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #19
Veedrock

Veedrock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Bronze   Genre Competition - First Place   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1   XBA Promoter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevander
It should be made simple enough for ANYONE to know exactly what it means without having to think.
This is probably the stupidest comment I've ever read. Do you really need a multi-paragraph description, picture diagrams, and video tutorials on how to identify small enemies and kick them?

This game requires some comprehension, the game isn't to blame if you can't handle that.

You should probably get your attitude in check while you're at it. There was absolutely no hostility or condescending tones in the posts you quoted, but your immediate reaction is to get pissy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech View Post
As a site, we don't support calling it "xbone" as that was a name that was used to refer to the system in a negative light. Since the site exists to support the system, being deliberately negative towards it seems counter productive.

tl;dr - Call it the Xbox One or X1.

Last edited by Veedrock; 01-26-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Veedrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #20
Nevander

Nevander's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedrock View Post
This is probably the stupidest comment I've ever read. You really want an essay description, picture diagrams and video tutorials on how to identify small enemies and kick them?
Since when is "Kick 5 tickers or polyps" instead of "Kick 5 small enemies" an essay description with picture diagrams and video tutorials?

Can't tell if trolling.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #21
DigiLuigi

DigiLuigi's Gamercard
Quote:
Since when is "Kick 5 tickers or polyps" instead of "Kick 5 small enemies" an essay description with picture diagrams and video tutorials?

Can't tell if trolling.
For me, that description is more vague than the one they're using now. Would it mean I need to kick 5 tickers or 5 polyps, or would 2 tickers and 3 polyps also work? "Kick 5 small enemies" explains it all. God forbid you use your brain a little to figure out what the term "small enemy" encompasses.

Quote:
It should be made simple enough for ANYONE to know exactly what it means without having to think.
I'd prefer it the way it is. Games are dumbed down more than enough nowadays. You should be glad there are descriptions for everything in this game, it's not always like that.

Quote:
Sorry but I shouldn't have to go to a guide and look how to do a ribbon when the description should be easily understandable without vague descriptions. You can't tell me that "small enemies" vs "tickers or polyps" is vague. Making that the description wouldn't be the end of the world.
I didn't have to use a guide for any of the ribbons, they're not that vague.

Quote:
When it says WHILE recovering, I would think that would mean any time between pushing and getting out of DBNO. But no, that doesn't work. For me at least it had to be right when I recovered, so for me that description was wrong.
I don't really understand what you're saying here. But like I said before, when you're still pressing you're DBNO, not recovering from it. Recovering from it is the animation where you're standing up. So what's wrong about the description? For me at least, the ribbon showed up right when it was supposed to.

Last edited by DigiLuigi; 01-26-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #22
phenixdwn

phenixdwn's Gamercard
all you have to do is get killed after you get off your knees, but haven't revived yourself yet.

Basically as soon as you go into the animation where you are on both feet but bent over holding your legs you have to die. simple.
phenixdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #23
Nevander

Nevander's Gamercard

Quote:
For me, that description is more vague than the one they're using now. Would it mean I need to kick 5 tickers or 5 polyps, or would 2 tickers and 3 polyps also work? "Kick 5 small enemies" explains it all. God forbid you use your brain a little to figure out what the term "small enemy" encompasses.
I'm definitely going to go with trolling. You know what I mean.

I know a ticker is a small enemy.
I know a polyp is a small enemy.
I know either or would probably work for the ribbon.

My problem is why doesn't the description just say that. It should just simply be "Kick 5 Tickers OR Polyps." The guide also does not mention Tickers. It just says Polyps. Anyone reading the guide wouldn't know if Tickers would count.

Quote:
I'd prefer it the way it is. Games are dumbed down more than enough nowadays. You should be glad there are descriptions for everything in this game, it's not always like that.
Yea, yea I know how games used to be. Things were a lot more difficult to figure out and such yea, yea. My problem is when things beat around the bush and don't just get straight to the point.

Quote:
I didn't have to use a guide for any of the ribbons, they're not that vague.
Good for you but like I said, ANYONE who needs to figure out ANY GIVEN ribbon, should not need to seek that information, whether or not they need it. People, myself included, had to ask myself "would Tickers count?"

So I tried wild tickers, they didn't work. I hit and kicked over 5 wild tickers and never got the ribbon.

Then I went to go look and see if they did count or what was wrong and the guide only mentioned Polyps. I'm thinking wild tickers don't count, only normal and polyps. But the guide should mention that.

Say a normal Gears player was trying to get the ribbon. They kicked wild tickers all day long and no ribbon unlocked. They would be like "what the fuck I've been kicking these tickers all day long and they are small enemies!" Well damn wild tickers don't count.

I think you can call it vague now.

Quote:
I don't really understand what you're saying here. But like I said before, when you're still pressing you're DBNO, not recovering from it. Recovering from it is the animation where you're standing up. So what's wrong about the description? For me at least, the ribbon showed up right when it was supposed to.
The whole procedure of getting up from DBNO should be considered recovering from DBNO, because that is what you are doing. YOU ARE RECOVERING FROM IT.

Jeez.

/thread

Old 01-27-2012, 12:35 AM   #24
DigiLuigi

DigiLuigi's Gamercard
No, not trolling at all, just don't agree with you. I just think small enemies is a better way to phrase it. But I don't want to make a big deal out of that, if it caused you frustration I can understand why you'd want it phrased another way.

But as for the DBNO thing, I think you're off on your reasoning. The period where you're tapping A is not recovering from DBNO. (Like I said before, you can't recover from a coma while you're still in a coma (Or from surgery while still in surgery)) You are recovering from getting downed but you are not recovering from being Down (But Not Out). Once DBNO status is over, that's when you start recovering from DBNO.

Last edited by DigiLuigi; 01-27-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #25
Zkillz Ninja

Zkillz Ninja's Gamercard
i didn't get shot just took a grenade of the wall downed griffin and got the ribbon
Zkillz Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote