PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Gears of War 3
Subscribe    Donate

Old 10-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
I JiMb0 I

I JiMb0 I's Gamercard
GUIDE: How to backup your GOW3 save game data!

I've heard in multiple threads that people seem to be getting their stats reset so I thought I would write a guide on how to backup your save game file so if this does happen you can restore the files and not loose EVERYTHING! This should be helpful to people going for seriously 3.0!

Firstly for this method you will need to either store your save game files on a USB drive or have access to a hard drive transfer cable and external XBOX hard drive (Not a Slim XBOX!)

Secondly you will need a program that can read the data off these devices from your PC, there are a handful about:

1. Xplorer360
2. USB Explorer
3. wxHdd
4. USB Image Tool (DOWNLOAD HERE)
4. Party Buffalo (DOWNLOAD HERE)

Personally I've always used Party Buffalo so from here on its described as if you chose that! All apps are fairly easy to use so the decision is up to you! One thing I would advise is that you test this first with a USB drive or hard drive that's not important so if any problems do arise your main data is safe!

So if your all ready this is how to backup your data:

1. Open the application, if your using windows vista or newer you will probably have to open the program with admin rights (right click the .exe and click "run as administrator")

2. Plug in your USB or hard drive and wait a few minutes for the device to be recognised and drivers installed!

3. In the program click "file", "open", then "Drive Selector" and select your drive and click "ok".

4. Once your drive has been opened (may take a minute depending on size) you need to decide if you want to just backup the GOW3 save game files or the whole drive. To back up the whole drive click "Drive" then "Backup to Image" and select where you want to save it! (this method may take a long time to backup depending on the size of the drive).

5. If you want to backup just the GOW3 save files navigate through the file structure on the left starting with "Data", then "Content", then find your profile (easiest by matching your gamerpic) followed by finding Gears of War 3.

6. To backup the files highlight both GearsCheckpoint and PlayerStorage.dat, right click on one of then and click "Extract" and select the folder where you want them to be stored (Note: using extract only copies the files off the device, its DOES NOT remove them)

7. ALL DONE! safely remove your hard drive or device and be happy in the knowledge that you save game data is safe!

To restore the data:

1. If you backed up the whole device as an image, just load the device again and click "Drive" then "Restore Image". Find where you saved it and click ok! (Note: this will restore ALL data on the device to the date/time you backed it up, not just GOW3)

2. If you just backup up the files, just navigate back to the GOW3 save location on your hard drive or USB, right click and select "Inject New File". Find where you saved the 2 files and click ok!

The data should now be restored!

Note 1: I've tested this by creating an account, ranking up and unlocked some medals. I backup up my data then erased it! loaded up the game, rank, ribbons, medals all gone! Restored the save and loaded up the game and they were all there again!

Note 2: This will work with any game except ones that store information online, e.g multiplayer rank data. With GOW3 it appears this is stored locally.

Disclaimer: I've put every effort into making this accurate and well explained BUT I'm just informing you of the method I use to backup my save game files (for all games). Its YOUR decision if you want to use this so, please, if you don't feel confident or don't understand something just walk away or message me! I don't want to be moaned at for mistakes or problems you have made!

Last edited by I JiMb0 I; 10-08-2011 at 12:32 PM.
I JiMb0 I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
Gorjira

Gorjira's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Maybe I misread it, but I can't do this with an xbox slim?
Old 10-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
Evo Kazz

II Kazz II's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Silver   Over Achiever - Platinum   Donator - Level 1   5,000 Posts   Staff Club - DEG23   Staff Club - Madhatters13   Staff Club - Shinobi273   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Staff Club - Rajeanero   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Tyger7   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 3
Total Awards: 28 (more» ...)
I used to own a Xplorer 360 caddy, it backed up data flawlessly, but when it was time to restore, it always let me down. I have the 360S now, what product are you using OP to connect your 360 HDD to your PC?. Also have you restored successfully.

I would like to backup any other locked saves I have like SF4 and PDZ.

I tried to restore PDZ with Xplorer360, 3 times, and it always failed. I never tried SF4 as It wasn't released back when I owned the caddy.

Arcade Crazy - 26 - Over Achiever - 54 - XB1 Points - 39
Franchise Clubs - 5x Tier 1, 3x Tier 2, 1x Tier 3
Staff Clubs - 10

Evo Kazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
KNUCKS x360a

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Word of Mouth
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorjira View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by evokazz View Post
what product are you using OP to connect your 360 HDD to your PC?.
He said it:

Quote:
Firstly for this method you will need to either store you save game files on a USB drive or have access to a hard drive transfer cable and external XBOX hard drive (Not a Slim XBOX!)
-------------
KNUCKS x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
I JiMb0 I

I JiMb0 I's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorjira View Post
Not unless you plug in a USB stick and move your save files onto that! the problem with slims is that the HDD is internal, unlike fat xbox's!

Quote:
I used to own a Xplorer 360 caddy, it backed up data flawlessly, but when it was time to restore, it always let me down. I have the 360S now, what product are you using OP to connect your 360 HDD to your PC?. Also have you restored successfully.

I would like to backup any other locked saves I have like SF4 and PDZ.

I tried to restore PDZ with Xplorer360, 3 times, and it always failed. I never tried SF4 as It wasn't released back when I owned the caddy.
I used a Microsoft Hard Drive Transfer Cable to connect the HDD to the PC. This can also be done with a simple USB stick though. Yes I have successfully restored data using the method above!

Old 10-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
Grifter Reborn

Send a message via Skype™ to Grifter Reborn

Grifter x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Emerald   CABS Beta Tester   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   x360a Representer   Road Map - Bronze   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Mind if I add this to the "Complete Thread"? Could come in handy for a lot of users.

Also, need to add a "r" to the end of you in:

Firstly for this method you will need to either store >[you]< save game files on a USB drive or have access to a hard drive transfer cable and external XBOX hard drive (Not a Slim XBOX!)

It's 'cause it's too damn early on a Saturday morning!

Change is inevitable.

Grifter Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
Trash Man

oO Trash Man Oo's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
USB Image Tool is also very good for making save back up's.

Just move you save to a USB stick and pop it into your computer, then use USB Image Tool to make a copy of the stick.

www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool
Trash Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
Evo Kazz

II Kazz II's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Silver   Over Achiever - Platinum   Donator - Level 1   5,000 Posts   Staff Club - DEG23   Staff Club - Madhatters13   Staff Club - Shinobi273   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Staff Club - Rajeanero   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Tyger7   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 3
What do you mean by USB Drive, by that I presume you mean Flash Pen Drive? In which case, that's useless as the GOW3 data is locked. I have a feeling I am simply misunderstanding you though lol. Also the Data Transfer cable, doesn't that just connect XBOX - XBOX. I know the old cable had a special fitting that was only for the 360 HDD, but are you saying the new Slim cable is just USB - USB? if so, that's pretty handy to know.

Staff Clubs - 10

Old 10-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
I JiMb0 I

I JiMb0 I's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter Reborn View Post
Mind if I add this to the "Complete Thread"? Could come in handy for a lot of users.

Also, need to add a "r" to the end of you in:

Firstly for this method you will need to either store >[you]< save game files on a USB drive or have access to a hard drive transfer cable and external XBOX hard drive (Not a Slim XBOX!)

It's 'cause it's too damn early on a Saturday morning!
Yeah sure, added the "r" to!

Quote:
What do you mean by USB Drive, by that I presume you mean Flash Pen Drive? In which case, that's useless as the GOW3 data is locked. I have a feeling I am simply misunderstanding you though lol. Also the Data Transfer cable, doesn't that just connect XBOX - XBOX. I know the old cable had a special fitting that was only for the 360 HDD, but are you saying the new Slim cable is just USB - USB? if so, that's pretty handy to know.
You are able to MOVE your save game files for GOW 3 on your xbox just not COPY them so yes I do mean a USB drive. The old transfer cables are xbox hard drive to USB converters. Just plug it into your PC! you can't do this from a SLIM hard drive as far as I know!

Old 10-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #10
KNUCKS x360a

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Word of Mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by evokazz View Post
GoW3 Saves being locked doesn't mean you cant move it dude

You can't 'Copy' the data to USB, but you can 'Move' data to it just like any other game.

If you have a Slim there is no cable to do this, it has to be a USB stick.

Last edited by KNUCKS x360a; 10-08-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: post answered as i was typing a reply
KNUCKS x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
Evo Kazz

II Kazz II's Gamercard

Ohh, duh, sorry guys, I just presumed you could not move them as well. It's good to know you can.

So as a Slim owner, does this mean I can't backup locked saves in any shape or form? I always backup my save games to a pen drive, but a few just wont allow it. If there was a legit way to do it with some cable or gadget? Then I will deffo invest. I mean I can't see this being a bad thing to do, essentially, I am only backing up my own save games for my own profile.

Staff Clubs - 10

Old 10-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #12
Delta438

Delta748's Gamercard
I remember doing this for Fable 3, it was my turn to get all 50 weapons for the achievement. I backed up, passed the weapons on, and restored my save. All 50 weapons are mine. =)

Delta438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
Riphade 1

Riphade's Gamercard
Or, you could just download one of those programs that modders use. (Modio)

All you'll have to do is just put your Gears 3 Player Data and Saved Campaigns on you external HDD and then copy the files to your PC.

Riphade 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #14
mcnichoj

mcnichoj's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   1,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riphade 1 View Post
Or, you could just download one of those programs that modders use. (Modio)

All you'll have to do is just put your Gears 3 Player Data and Saved Campaigns on you external HDD and then copy the files to your PC.
Can anyone verify if this method is safe?

“You’re acting like a little girl lately. And not in a good way.” - Henry Winkler

People tell me I'm weird and that I'm not conventional
Someone asked me what my dream girl is and I told them with a lot of depth but two dimensional
mcnichoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #15
NightListenerUK

The Cosmic Duck's Gamercard
I believe you can do it with a slim.

Firstly you can take the drive out of a slim and its very easy to do so. Simply google or youtube it.

Second step would be to insert the drive into a 2.5" hard drive caddy which will then connect to the PC. I think it would work that way

Thanks for the thread though. Gonna try moving my save to the usb stick then back it up.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #16
Riphade 1

Riphade's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnichoj View Post
Can anyone verify if this method is safe?
Yeah dude. Its safe. The program is generally for those losers who hack, but I use it to backup my game saves. Especially ones that you can't backup on a separate HDD.

My old Xbox used to delete my saves, so it was a good tool to use. Its also kinda funny how the games you CAN'T backup (Gears, Gears beta, Fable 3) are the ones that always get messed up, corrupted, or "in-game deleted", lol.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #17
I JiMb0 I

I JiMb0 I's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riphade 1 View Post
Yeah dude. Its safe. The program is generally for those losers who hack, but I use it to backup my game saves. Especially ones that you can't backup on a separate HDD.

My old Xbox used to delete my saves, so it was a good tool to use. Its also kinda funny how the games you CAN'T backup (Gears, Gears beta, Fable 3) are the ones that always get messed up, corrupted, or "in-game deleted", lol.
Modio is a program aimed directly at people looking to cheat by either modding save game files (example being all the glitched weapons in Borderlands) or by importing other people's save game files. The method I described above will only ever backup a 1:1 copy of your files... so if you use Modio just be careful your files are not being tampered with..

Old 10-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #18
Nevander

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Can't you just copy the saves directly to another storage device? Why all the need for doing it this way?

I'm lost.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:47 PM   #19
Riphade 1

Riphade's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by I JiMb0 I View Post
Modio is a program aimed directly at people looking to cheat by either modding save game files (example being all the glitched weapons in Borderlands) or by importing other people's save game files. The method I described above will only ever backup a 1:1 copy of your files... so if you use Modio just be careful your files are not being tampered with..
Yes. It generally is. But its also the easiest of all programs and ways to backup your un-backupable saves. And like I said, I just use it to back my stuff up. Xbox saves are such a broke thing. I wish I knew about it before I lost my Gears 2 saves :'(

Also, try not to screw with your saves people. You CAN/WILL get banned if you mod your saves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevander View Post
Can't you just copy the saves directly to another storage device? Why all the need for doing it this way?

I'm lost.
You can only MOVE your Gears 3 save. Which means you can't copy it. So if you (hypothetically) move it on a flash drive, and lose/damage it, you're effed.

Last edited by AOS Puck; 10-08-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #20
Frannk The Tank

I heard about a program called XPort 360, is that a known program for backing up as well?
Frannk The Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:32 PM   #21
Riphade 1

Riphade's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frannk The Tank View Post
I heard about a program called XPort 360, is that a known program for backing up as well?
ANY of the modding programs do in fact, give you the ability to backup your gamesaves to your PC.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:36 PM   #22
dakisbac

Send a message via Skype™ to dakisbac

Mister Dak's Gamercard

Awards Showcase VGO Gold Medal   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Minty   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Third Place   Staff Club - dakisbac   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - AOS Puck
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta438 View Post
I remember doing this for Fable 3, it was my turn to get all 50 weapons for the achievement. I backed up, passed the weapons on, and restored my save. All 50 weapons are mine. =)
Haha, I did the same. In fact I wrote a mini guide about it.

I also use the USB Image Tool
dakisbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #23
ufc fan andy

Andy UFC fan's Gamercard
My friend gave me his gamertag when his xbox died as a spare so i might practice with that. I lost everything on gears 2 at one stage i almost smashed my xbox and game it was that bad. Would really hate to lose my progress on this game.
ufc fan andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #24
NightListenerUK

The Cosmic Duck's Gamercard
Just tried this method and it worked a treat

I have a slim so I MOVED my save to my USB stick then backed it up onto the PC. Once it was backed up I simply MOVED the save back onto the slim's hard drive as that's where I normally keep my saves.

Feels good that the hours I have already put into Gears won't be lost!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #25
InfamyxBreed

Beyond omen's Gamercard
There is a USB cable coming out the transfers slim to slim data soni believe that'll work also.
InfamyxBreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #26
smellysoc1

SpiderBoom89's Gamercard
so let me get this straight it is NOT possible to just copy the save game file to a usb stick?

i have been able to do this with every other game i have played why is it not possible with this one?

(btw im using a xbox 360 elite 120g)
smellysoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #27
AceMcCloud

AceMcCloud's Gamercard
Thanks for this Jimbo, anyone else used any of the programs in the first thread? I want to backup and protect my save.

Yes, you can still MOVE these files, just not copy, I was hoping the new cloud storage would be out soon, and we could backup these there like on PSN.

Games Devs have had the ability to prevent their game data from being copied, I think it's to due with purchased content like the weapon skins. It is really annoying, especially when you hear about data corrupting.

I used a USB Drive/Pen Drive/whatever, for all my saves anyway since I have one console downstairs and one upstairs, but if you didn't, get one and you can move it or if you have a transfer cable, you can connect up an original Xbox 360 hard drive, but the new HDDs inside slims have different (standard) connectors (instead of Microsoft's propriatory ones on the old HDDs).

Microsoft did recently announce they will be releasing one (better late than never), however, if you have an old original hdd you don't need anymore, or get one off ebay, you can dismantel it, and use a tiny cable inside to be able to connect a Slim Xbox 360 HDD to the old transfer cable, of course, you'll invalidate the warranty on the HDD doing it that way, but that's probably long expired by now.

Last edited by AceMcCloud; 10-09-2011 at 11:36 AM.
AceMcCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #28
I JiMb0 I

I JiMb0 I's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellysoc1 View Post
so let me get this straight it is NOT possible to just copy the save game file to a usb stick?

i have been able to do this with every other game i have played why is it not possible with this one?

(btw im using a xbox 360 elite 120g)
No saves for GOW 3 are locked to prevent you copying them! I have no idea why but they are!

Old 10-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #29
Frannk The Tank

Ok so ive got a 16GB USB which i used for copy my GOW data. Luckily i have to accounts one for spare which i occassionally use to boost with or my sister uses and has a small amount of data so i tested on that first so bulk of my data isnt lost. Ok well i havnt lost any data however i configured my USB for Xbox 360 use, and moved the GOW3 data onto it. Then used my program Xport 360 but i doesnt recognise any xbox data from the usb. Then i tried downloaded one of the programs from the list at the top - i went with Xplorer 306 - and that still dosnt recognise the data, so how are you supposed to open it?
Frannk The Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #30
Chocoburger

Chocoburger's Gamercard
GREAT NEWS~! Thanks, I was really pissed when I found out that Gears 3 won't let me back up my saves, but Gears 1 and 2 does indeed let you. So dumb of Epic. I'll be doing this for all my locked save files like Tony Hawk's Proving Ground (locked on Xbox 360 but not on PS3 for whatever stupid reason).
Chocoburger is offline   Reply With Quote