PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Shmup > Super Contra
Subscribe    Donate

Old 07-26-2007, 07:49 PM   #1
Sean099

Send a message via AIM to Sean099

Sean099's Gamercard
more difficult?

Maybe I just really suck at this game but it seems like this one is much more difficult than the first Contra. In the first level alone if you dont get the spread gun upgrade then you can pretty much count on dying a number of times at the end trying to beat that damn helicopter.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
Lonsta DaMonsta

Send a message via AIM to Lonsta DaMonsta

Lonsta DaMonsta's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Gamerscore League Season 7 Winner   A+ Thread Award   Word of Mouth   Submit - Silver   NBA Live 1000 People Online Supporter
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Can anyone answer this? I was kind of wanting to know how many easy achievement points were in this game before I dumped $5 on it.

First legit 1000 in Rockstar Table Tennis
First person to have 1750 in three different games
Lonsta DaMonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
SegaSaturnSNK

SegaSaturnSNK's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
If you're good at the game then achievements wouldn't be a problem at all but if you suck balls then it's going to take a while. Co-op seems to be the way to go, it is much easier! So I suggest you to play co-op if you want to pick up around 80 points or more through a single play if you and your partner is good enough.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:11 PM   #4
Slormer

Slormer's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Referrals - Bronze   SOTF Winner   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
This one is a bit harder than the original, I have the full 200 from the first, and am fairly certain I could in this one as well, but it just takes time to learn where all the guys are coming from. Contra is all about knowing where your enemies are coming from.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #5
RavenBlackthorn

RavenBlackthorn's Gamercard
I'm going to be honest with you guys. This game is ridiculously hard. It is not an easy game by any means. If you are hoping to nab a few quick points, this game may not be for you. (Try Golden Axe instead if you are looking to just nab an extra 200 points LOL)

Having played this in the past, I can't help but think they upped the difficulty on this release. You literally get swarmed with enemies in some of the levels (level 2 for example). Weapon control is everything. Once you do actually die, you will continue to die until you can regain weapon control. It seems like the amount of enemies is identical between single play and co-op so playing with a friend makes this game much more doable.
RavenBlackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:47 AM   #6
Valentine20

Valentine20's Gamercard
I'm not sure why the difficulty would be offsetting to anyone. It is certainly harder than the first contra on XBLA, but I consider that a plus. I still think that the acheivements in this game are all pretty simple except for beating it on 1 credit, and maybe the level 4 single player one. More importantly, this game is really fun and a great addition to any arcade in my opinion. The graphics are also sooooo much better than the first, so if you liked Contra at all, check out Super Contra.
Valentine20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:09 AM   #7
Butters

BUTTERS7's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Submit - Bronze   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
i don't lmpw why everyone thinks that this is harder than the first I personally think it's easier for some reason, course I don't have the 200 in either so who am i to talk...
Old 07-31-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
RavenBlackthorn

I'm not thrown off by the difficulty at all, I just wanted to discourage the whores from downloading it for what they expect to be an easy 200. I actually love challenging achievements. They seem like more of an "achievement" to me. I got 200 in the first Contra and plan on doing the same in Super Contra. It will take some time but it will be worth it. (Made it half way through level 5 last night hehe) BTW, I played a few rounds with you (Butters7) last night. I knew I recognized your gamertag from somewhere. (I've seen your posts on here in other forums) We should link up and get a few more rounds going.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:04 PM   #9
Ho5tiLe D

Ho5tiLe D's Gamercard
yes it is more challenging, but i enjoy the original contRa more
Old 08-04-2007, 11:54 PM   #10
deathbypig37x

deathbypig x3h's Gamercard

Awards Showcase UMK3 Runner-up   Gears of War Annex Challenge Third Place
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I easily agree that Super Contra is infinately harder than Contra. Contra was a much simpler game, although with more levels.
The tunnel levels in Contra were very simple and easy, and are not at all in comparison to how difficult level 2 is on Super Contra.

At least, that's just my opinion.
deathbypig37x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:13 PM   #11
RavenBlackthorn

Yeah, if you lose weapon control at all in this game, you pretty much have to restart. :> Having upgraded weapons throughout is pretty much a must. Level 2 is muuuuch easier if you have the upgraded Rocket Launcher. You can turn the tables on the range game if you have it. (Your default range blows, but if you upgrade the rocket you can actually outrange everything in the level)
Old 09-04-2007, 02:17 PM   #12
Legends xExilex

Legends xExilex's Gamercard
this game is much harder then the first one and the master achivment takes a while to get enless you have no other life then contra.
Legends xExilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #13
Lord Terentius

Send a message via MSN to Lord Terentius Send a message via Skype™ to Lord Terentius

Lord Terentius's Gamercard
I managed to get the Bulletproof achievement from the original Contra last night and straight away, I decided to give Super Contra a spin.

Man... this game is so freaking tough it defies belief. It really does p!ss from a great height on the original Contra (regarding difficulty).
Lord Terentius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:42 PM   #14
RavenBlackthorn

I think it is quite a bit more challenging than the first. The first one felt more "predictable". There are times where an enemy comes from behind, but most of the time he doesn't. Or sometimes that enemy shoots and throws you off, but most of the time he doesn't. Sometimes the tank in level 1 fires a shell, most of the time it doesn't. Sometimes you make it past the nade tossing turret in level 3, sometimes it is impossible to avoid getting past without getting hit. While most of it is something that can be memorized, there is more "randomness" than the first one.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #15
Destro

Destro WOD's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Doing it with 1 credit is crazy... i mean i was a beast at Contra and Super C back on NES. I could do the first one whitout dying a single time easily, and Super C i remember doing it with one credit easily , and it was longer (they cut a lot of levels from that version)

But the 2 version on Live Arcade are different. As for the first one its pretty easy to past it with the 3 credit, the first time i played it i finished it...really simple. Doing it with one credit is a little more difficult, because you have to have the S weapon for some parts, but i found a very simple way of doing it, its all about the right timing. In the first level i get some extra lives with the guys that always come off, as long as you don't do it too much time, you can get nearly 2 extra lives there(if you say at the same spot too long, you get kill by the game) then i intentionally get kill at the boss of the base level, so i can grab the invibility in Waterfall, i get the S then kill the boss. (i do it like that because there a place i can't not die, i dunno this guy always get back, he is the one in the waterfall and he is impossible to kill) Anyway for base 2 no probleme going trought it with S, continue in the last level until you can have invincibility again, get intentionally kill(at this point you probably have 4 or 5 lives so...) , get the B and go trought and just take your time when you love the invincibility.

Thats how i did it.

But for the second game, online with a VERY GOOD friend i was able to finish it. He didn't do all the work , i mean im his best scores for co-up play(he was able to finish it with one credit offline) but for some reason offline i was barely able to past level 4, having 1 life remaining from my LAST CREDIT. I can't even finish the damn game with all the lives and credit. I haven't try my little trick from the first one, i just tought about that not long ago, maybe getting extra lives by staying steal and killing ennemies would do it, but man this game is damn hard. I don't think they should have do it so hard. Maybe i could manage to finish it some day but not with one credit...

Gears of War Legend
Destro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:34 PM   #16
Maxi1985 Ownage

BlackBelt Devil's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destro View Post

But for the second game, online with a VERY GOOD friend i was able to finish it. He didn't do all the work , i mean im his best scores for co-up play(he was able to finish it with one credit offline) but for some reason offline i was barely able to past level 4, having 1 life remaining from my LAST CREDIT. I can't even finish the damn game with all the lives and credit. I haven't try my little trick from the first one, i just tought about that not long ago, maybe getting extra lives by staying steal and killing ennemies would do it, but man this game is damn hard. I don't think they should have do it so hard. Maybe i could manage to finish it some day but not with one credit...
Funny last year august - early september i tryed like mad to get master but i couldn't beat level 3 without getting hit several times and losing lives on the level 3 boss. I decided i couldn't do it so i stopped playing it. June 2008 i decided to have another crack at it and i practiced with the cheat code to study and master each level to perfection. All of a sudden the game became easy , everytime i could get to level 5 without getting hit , i mastered level 3 and find a way beating level 3 boss with ease : just stay in the left corner and worms go of screen can't get you. Now level 5 is the one level when i play with the cheat i get hit alot special on those ball things and the miniboss . June 22nd 2008 i decided to go for master and as usual im at level 5 without getting hit. i pause and take a deep breath. I go for it dodge everything and picked the shell up and at the balls and this is where i always get hit but I CANNOT believe it i got through them all and did it so skillfully . Now it's the miniboss and soon as it shoots at me i use the shell i picked up and i still got my upgraded machine gun from level 1 and it BLOWS UP! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT i now know im getting master with out a doubt , i kill the boss in seconds with my powerful weapon and im in shock i cannot believe i completed and got master without getting hit , i never ever thought i'll complete the game in 1 credit yet alone without getting hit so people don't give up practice does make perfect.
Maxi1985 Ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #17
monotone80

monotone80's Gamercard
This game kicks my arse hardcore compared to the first.
monotone80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #18
R0B

R0b's Gamercard
Now we just need heavy barrel and POW
R0B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #19
F Swan

Ferocious Swan's Gamercard
Heavy Barrel! I loved that as a kid, used to play it in the swimming baths lobby area
F Swan is offline   Reply With Quote