Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > The Tech Centre
Subscribe    Donate

Old 11-08-2011, 04:21 AM   #1
baddawg12

mossfan563's Gamercard
Using Xbox 360 on Laptop Monitor?

I've been researching methods on how to use my xbox 360 on my laptop monitor.

So far I know that there's this USB cap thing called EasyCap that takes the inputs of the VGA inputs (Yellow, Red and White wires) and plugs into the plugs of the EasyCap. Then you plug EasyCap into the USB and play.

Although, I hear that the audio is shit.

What else do I need to know about trying this out?
Any good suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!
baddawg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
CouchOrnament

COUCH ORNAMENT's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddawg12 View Post
I've been researching methods on how to use my xbox 360 on my laptop monitor.

So far I know that there's this USB cap thing called EasyCap that takes the inputs of the VGA inputs (Yellow, Red and White wires) and plugs into the plugs of the EasyCap. Then you plug EasyCap into the USB and play.

Although, I hear that the audio is shit.

What else do I need to know about trying this out?
Any good suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!
Well. If you're using the RCA Inputs (VGA is a 15PIN DSUB connector) You can always connect the RED and WHITE (Audio channels) to a external amplifier instead of the EasyCap. Of course then if you want to capture anything then you will have to plug them in. If the EasyCap requires all 3 be plugged in, then you can get splitters.

Then you can use the lappy monitor and have decent sound. Win Win.

I have not used an EasyCap. But, that would be the route I would take if I was forced to.
Or, you could pick up a $90 walmart computer monitor and have at least 720p. Connecting via RCA will give you 480i at best. If it connects via component then you're golden.

edit: just looked it up. what I said SHOULD work. but like I said, you will only get 480i. You're better off just playing on an old CRT SDTV. At least it would be bigger. Unless of course this is purely for mobile uses.

Happy 2012 everyone!

Last edited by CouchOrnament; 11-08-2011 at 08:10 AM.
CouchOrnament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
baddawg12

mossfan563's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchOrnament View Post
Well. If you're using the RCA Inputs (VGA is a 15PIN DSUB connector) You can always connect the RED and WHITE (Audio channels) to a external amplifier instead of the EasyCap. Of course then if you want to capture anything then you will have to plug them in. If the EasyCap requires all 3 be plugged in, then you can get splitters.

Then you can use the lappy monitor and have decent sound. Win Win.

I have not used an EasyCap. But, that would be the route I would take if I was forced to.
Or, you could pick up a $90 walmart computer monitor and have at least 720p. Connecting via RCA will give you 480i at best. If it connects via component then you're golden.

edit: just looked it up. what I said SHOULD work. but like I said, you will only get 480i. You're better off just playing on an old CRT SDTV. At least it would be bigger. Unless of course this is purely for mobile uses.
Anything special I would have to buy for that?
baddawg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
CouchOrnament

COUCH ORNAMENT's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddawg12 View Post
Anything special I would have to buy for that?
To plug into an external amp? Not really. However since the stock RCA connectors for the 360 are rather short you would have two choices on how to proceed.

1) Purchase a couple cheap female to female adapter from radio shack or similar store and a decent length of stereo RCA. Then as I said before, plug your red and white from the 360 into the female couplers, then your RCA from the otherside into your amp. (red and white inputs, normally marked CD, TAPE, DVD, VCR or just simply INPUT) Plug the yellow one into your EasyCap and the EasyCap into your lappy.

You could also get one of these and then have audio going to both your lappy and the amp.

2) Get a USB extender like this
one one
Then you can have the audio plugged directly into your amp, and the EasyCap behind your amp and then this running from the EasyCap to your Lappy.

You can get all these parts from a dollar store, with the RCA components there generally, really shouldn't be too much interference. As for the USB extender, there shouldn't be any.. its only 1s and 0s going through, so it should work, or it wont. In which case it is defective and just swap it out.

Happy 2012 everyone!
CouchOrnament is offline   Reply With Quote