PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Subscribe    Donate

Old 11-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
AndreyCout

Post MGS2 Dog Tags guide

To get the Great Dane achievement, you need to get a lot of Dog Tags. You don't need to get ALL of them, but most (check the end of the thread for more info on this). This is extremely time consuming, and I don't think anyone recorded a video for every Dog Tag, but there are quite a few around, so I'll post the ones I find, plus a link to a written guide. None of this is made by me, I take no credits for the guides/video walkthroughs.

Tanker - Extreme (thanks to thegreatBman)

Plant - Normal (thanks to williamaparecido)

The Tanker videos are on Extreme difficulty, which has the most number of enemies, so if you try it on easier difficulties, you should get all of them by following the video (some enemies will be missing). Plant, however, is on Normal difficulty, because I couldn't find Extreme difficulty videos. There are more enemies on Hard and Extreme, so in order to find these, refer to the following written guide:

MGS2 Substance Dog Tag Guide by Kevin Walter:

http://faqs.ign.com/articles/436/436348p1.html

However, there's a trick to how this achievement works. You don't really have to collect ALL dog tags like the description says. You only have to get every item that is rewarded by having a certain number of dog tags.

The rewards are as following:

Tanker Chapter (cumulative of all difficulty levels)
Infinite Ammo Bandanna: 46 dog tags (30%)
Stealth Apparatus: 76 dog tags (50%)

Plant Chapter (cumulative of all difficulty levels)
Infinite Ammo Wig: 73 dog tags (30%)
Stealth Apparatus: 121 dog tags (50%)
Red Wig: 170 dog tags (70%)
Blue Wig: 218 dog tags (90%)

(there is a lot of controversy over the real number of tags for each unlock, but these numbers were retrieved from Konami's official MGS2 Secrets Guide, which you can find here: http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/mgs2/en...secret_en.html)

Things to keep in mind:

1. These numbers are divided by chapters. This means you need 46 tags FROM THE TANKER CHAPTER to get your first Tanker chapter item. If you get 46 tags on the Plant chapter, you won't unlock anything for the Tanker chapter, and vice-versa.

2. You only get Dog Tags to count after you finish the game (or the chapter, if you chose to only play one of the chapters).

3. You'll still have to finish the Plant chapter on every difficulty level, but you can cut on the Tanker playthroughs significantly.

4. The achievement will be unlocked at the result screen, when you're awarded your last item (either the Tanker stealth camo, or the Plant Blue Wig).

5. You need to get 76 out of 152 Dog Tags on the Tanker chapter and 218 out of 242 Dog Tags on the Plant chapter to get your achievement. Then, finish the game.

Thanks to iamtfc for figuring this out.

Hope it helps you on your quest to get the Great Dane achievement and finally achieve this difficult 1000. Thanks and good luck!

Last edited by AndreyCout; 12-02-2011 at 10:58 AM.
AndreyCout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Blkmag1k

W4RTORN SOLDIER's Gamercard
great find, but I find a text guide to be far more efficient. Simply because I can mark off who I get tags from.

Blkmag1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
AndreyCout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkmag1k View Post
great find, but I find a text guide to be far more efficient. Simply because I can mark off who I get tags from.

That's why I put both. A lot of people requested videos, so I posted it anyway, but I think the written guide is far more practical.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
zarmartiaux

zarmartiaux's Gamercard
Man, that's some hardcore shit right there.
Bman really knows his shit, where are the soldiers at what time, perfect handling of the game controls.

Really impressive.

February cannot come soon enough, I want to recreate all those awesome moves.
zarmartiaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
NiteJokester

NiteJokester's Gamercard
The link you provided has the wrong names for very easy difficulty. just a heads up. 000 is correct but 001 on is wrong.

NiteJokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
bennifer3000

Wagszilla's Gamercard
The Dog Tags are the EU list from Substance, not Sons of Liberty.

Make sure you use those guides.

bennifer3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:01 AM   #7
The Bum-Mobile

Mr Shenanigans's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Pardon my stupidity, I haven't played MGS2 in the longest of times, but how would you be getting dog tags towards the beginning? If I remember correctly you start with a tranquilizer, and some guards have to be shot in the leg or arm before they surrender a dog tag. But with the tranquilizer a shot anywhere leads only to a very deep sleep. I could be wrong, and you could start with a normal gun. Sorry if the answer to my question is in the videos!

The Bum-Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:29 AM   #8
bennifer3000

Wagszilla's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bum-Mobile View Post
Pardon my stupidity, I haven't played MGS2 in the longest of times, but how would you be getting dog tags towards the beginning? If I remember correctly you start with a tranquilizer, and some guards have to be shot in the leg or arm before they surrender a dog tag. But with the tranquilizer a shot anywhere leads only to a very deep sleep. I could be wrong, and you could start with a normal gun. Sorry if the answer to my question is in the videos!
Some guards don't need to be shot/coerced in any way.

You can use the Tranq gun (M9) on them.

bennifer3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:32 PM   #9
The Bum-Mobile

No I understand, but some DO. And they have dog tags that are required. And if I shoot them in the arm/leg with the tranquilizer they pass out.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:41 AM   #10
Shattuck

Nostramos's Gamercard
Tranq them, then come back to them after you beat Olga and get the USP. Pain in the ass, but that's how it's done. It gets really annoying on later difficulties when the ones that have to be shot are in rooms with other guards, since you don't get a suppressor.
Shattuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:51 AM   #11
The Bum-Mobile

OH! My bad. Shows you how much I remember MGS2! I thought that the entire Tanker chapter was non-lethal. Makes sense, thanks for the help!

Old 11-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #12
MITTEN MAGIC

MITTEN MAGIC's Gamercard
there is a difference between the European and Japanese versions. in the American version there are less tags in the American version
MITTEN MAGIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:45 AM   #13
OnionKnight14

onionknight14's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shattuck View Post
Tranq them, then come back to them after you beat Olga and get the USP. Pain in the ass, but that's how it's done. It gets really annoying on later difficulties when the ones that have to be shot are in rooms with other guards, since you don't get a suppressor.
i thought you get the suppressor on the really tall thing just outside of where you beat olga?

OnionKnight14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:13 AM   #14
GPR722

GPR722's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnionKnight14 View Post
i thought you get the suppressor on the really tall thing just outside of where you beat olga?
Ya your right. You get the suppressor by climbing the mast on top of the ship after you've beaten the tanker at least one time.
GPR722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #15
AndreyCout

Updated the initial post with good news! You don't actually need to get every Dog Tag for the achievement!
Old 12-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #16
JSP 16

Send a message via MSN to JSP 16

JSP The Great 1's Gamercard
Andrey...what u mean u dont need every single dog tag for acheevo
JSP 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #17
AndreyCout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP 16 View Post
Andrey...what u mean u dont need every single dog tag for acheevo
Read the end of the initial post. You only need 50% of the Tanker tags and 90% of the Plant tags.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:23 AM   #18
CHRONICTHEORY

CHRONIC THEORY's Gamercard
B Man is dirty at this game.. thanks for posting video and guides.. +1
CHRONICTHEORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #19
minimalism
Banned User

something isn't right with the guides. i've played through MGS2 several times on the PS2, and i collected all the dog tags back then, but the names of the tags here seem to be different, so be careful when following a guide using specific names for tags. i'm at 27/33 tags for normal on the tanker chapter. problem is, the tags for the marines were always the toughest to get. i think i'm just gonna leave it be and beat the game as is, since it's been established that we don't need every dog tag anyway.
minimalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #20
Help

Matty3453's Gamercard
Just a question to get 'all' dog tags do you have to go through every difficulty and collect them or just on easy?
Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #21
Scott Sullivan

CallMeSullivan's Gamercard
Can you collect all the dog tags on multiple saves (example, get all V.Easy and Easy on one save file and start a new game and get Normal onwards on a separate save file). Will that still count towards the achievement, or do they all have to be on the same New Game + file?
Scott Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #22
Arsya J

Send a message via MSN to Arsya J Send a message via Yahoo to Arsya J Send a message via Skype™ to Arsya J

Avenge Agony's Gamercard
I Have The Same Question, I Beated The Game On Normal, Both Chapters, After That I Played The Tanker On V.Easy To Collect The DogTags So After Beating And Saving It On The SAME Slot That I Have Done The Normal Difficulity, Went To The DogTags Viewer And ALL The Normal Difficulity DogTags Are Gone, Sooo Should I Play And Save Every Difficulity On Diffierent Save Slots ?
Arsya J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #23
larky78

larky78's Gamercard
Good shout . Do you need to save in different slots.
larky78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #24
Jay ITFC

Jay ITFC's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsya J View Post
I Have The Same Question, I Beated The Game On Normal, Both Chapters, After That I Played The Tanker On V.Easy To Collect The DogTags So After Beating And Saving It On The SAME Slot That I Have Done The Normal Difficulity, Went To The DogTags Viewer And ALL The Normal Difficulity DogTags Are Gone, Sooo Should I Play And Save Every Difficulity On Diffierent Save Slots ?
HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM! This needs clarifying ASAP...
Old 02-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #25
FiNaL MaKo

FiNaL MaKo's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay ITFC View Post
HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM! This needs clarifying ASAP...
After you complete the game. Click on Load Game and load your save where you have beaten the game. It will now start a new game and ask you what difficulty to choose etc. This will keep your progress from the previous playthrough.

What Arysa J did was start a New Game and then overwrote the old save that had all the data on it because it didn't recognize it.

Last edited by FiNaL MaKo; 02-10-2012 at 12:34 PM.
FiNaL MaKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #26
Jay ITFC

Jay ITFC's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiNaL MaKo View Post
After you complete the game. Click on Load Game and load your save where you have beaten the game. It will now start a new game and ask you what difficulty to choose etc. This will keep your progress from the previous playthrough.

What Arysa J did was start a New Game and then overwrote the old save that had all the data on it because it didn't recognize it.
Thought as much thanks.

Done an initial playthrough on very easy of Tanker-Plant taking in the story (cut scenes, codecs, etc.) and managed to get every tag. Now the question is can I be bothered to go for the rest of them! Rough estimate on how long it would take if skipping all plot?

Last edited by Jay ITFC; 02-10-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Jay ITFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #27
Stoko

Stoko981's Gamercard
Never mind.

Last edited by Stoko; 02-11-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Stoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:12 AM   #28
Arsya J

Send a message via MSN to Arsya J Send a message via Yahoo to Arsya J Send a message via Skype™ to Arsya J

Avenge Agony's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiNaL MaKo View Post

Dang Man How Stupid Am I LOOL! Anyway Thanks! I Will Start Doing The DogTags After I Finish Snake Eater Since I'm Almost There :3 Or Should I Work On Peace Walker ? O:
Arsya J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #29
L Ducko

L Ducko's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkmag1k View Post
Same here, for those of you with Iphones - go to the app store and seach for metal gear solid, there will be an app called "Dog Tag Viewer" and it acts as an electronic checklist! you can see your percentage of completion in redgards to dog tags as well as view tags by area Tanker or Plant then sub areas like Engine Room of CD Bridge

Works really well for those who can be bothered printing a 20+ page guide
L Ducko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #30
cafcnickdugay

Dooguy's Gamercard
I'm relatively new to this game... Completed it on normal difficulty yesterday.

Going for the dog tags now.

Just got into Deck-A, crew's quarters on Very Easy mode, and was just wondering what you do when guards refuse to give you the tags? I have stood there and then read that you are supposed to fire at them, but all I have is the M9 tranquilizer so all it does it send them to sleep! What is the best way around this?

EDIT: Ok, I've found the USP. However, I would also like to ask, if you kill one of the guards before you've gotten their dog tags, is there another way to get it? Will they reappear at any point? I've just killed who I believe to be Eric Bravo on Deck A Crew's Lounge by breaking his neck and I haven't picked up his tags yet.

Last edited by cafcnickdugay; 02-21-2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: found the answer
cafcnickdugay is offline   Reply With Quote