PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Saints Row: The Third
Subscribe    Donate

Old 11-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
Mr Rawls

Mr Rawls's Gamercard
Exclamation Is Volition The Greediest Company Ever?

So I pre-ordered SR3 thinking it was going to be cool, etc... The day I bought it I checked the marketplace to find the 10.00 online thing, (Which I would have taken my copy back if it didn't already have a code in the box!) the 20.00 season pass and several more 3.00-5.00 dlc ON DAY 1!

WTF? This isn't even a "tier 1" game!

I then checked online and saw that there will be a slew of "pay extra" crap for this game! How much of this is already on the disc? Is this the greediest company ever? Should I have stayed away from this game?

Last edited by Tyger7; 11-18-2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: fix
Mr Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
FeJ

FeJ9's Gamercard
I dont know about them being the "greedest", but they do seem pretty greedy. Its hard to believe they are charging money for cheats.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Seany Show

Seany Sh0w's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 3   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Can't believe this continually gets discussed...

No one is forcing you to buy the DLC. It doesn't impact how you play the game or your enjoyment of it. THQ & Volition are companies and are out to make money. If you can't get over that I suggest you return your game & let us who enjoy the game for what it is, play it.

GSL 12 starting gamerscore 377,387
Seany Show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
littlejay

Fuzzmeister J's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Submit - Silver   Achievement Guide - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
they are just goofy extras. buy them or dont. the season pass saves you money, the online pass comes with new games (and is not uncommon anymore), and the extra stuff is just there if you want it. it's just like the weapons skins in gears, if you don't want to buy them, don't! if you are OCD and have to buy everything, that's your problem, not theirs.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
upindat

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Man all games are getting this way. Any way to nicklel and dime you to death. I agree i should see day one dlc at all. Kinda takes away from the pre order perk. But this is a trend that will continue with every big game i am afraid of.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
True I Skill

The Khaos's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Is saints row 3 the only game you own? Because haha you think Volition is greedy just you wait and see what other companies are out there!

Although i am fed up with them doing this if the DLC is good enough i will buy it, I am just wondering about the season pass tho...

Does the season pass not include any of the cheats or shark gun? Or any idea if there will be a bundle with all the cheats and extra things in?

I find the cheat thingy pretty funny as i am sure it was this forum where i read a few days ago a guy saying something along the lines of "Unlike Capcom volition include the cheats with the game instead of selling them as a add-on later on" Eh i'd like to see the look on that guys face when he said that turned on hes xbox and saw the new add-on.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
specularblinky

specularblinky's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seany Show View Post
No one is forcing you to buy the DLC. It doesn't impact how you play the game or your enjoyment of it.
How can you possible say that? it adds new weapons and content that are fun to use and do change the way you play. thats exactly what the dlc is?
Old 11-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
jtredsox

JT Red S0X's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seany Show View Post
Can't believe this continually gets discussed...

No one is forcing you to buy the DLC. It doesn't impact how you play the game or your enjoyment of it. THQ & Volition are companies and are out to make money. If you can't get over that I suggest you return your game & let us who enjoy the game for what it is, play it.
I guess not being able to play co op with a friend unless you pay 800 microsoft points has no impact then huh?
jtredsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
ColdSpider72

ColdSpider72's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtredsox View Post
I guess not being able to play co op with a friend unless you pay 800 microsoft points has no impact then huh?

That's different since that is only an issue if you didn't even buy the game new. This subject gets beaten to death everytime a game does this and it is not going to change as long as used games continue to eat away at the developer's profits. It's a business.
ColdSpider72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #10
martdude16

KILL3R N4SH's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I'd say EPIC and EA are the worst by a mile.

martdude16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #11
mjc0961

mjc0961's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Gold   Arcade Crazy - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by True I Skill View Post
I find the cheat thingy pretty funny as i am sure it was this forum where i read a few days ago a guy saying something along the lines of "Unlike Capcom volition include the cheats with the game instead of selling them as a add-on later on" Eh i'd like to see the look on that guys face when he said that turned on hes xbox and saw the new add-on.
I was pretty pissed when I got that news, but they still have some cheats in the game without buying anything extra, which is still better than Capcom. This shit is getting ridiculous overall, though. Paying for cheats? What's next, paying to unlock all the controls? Coming soon to Saints Row 4, Modern Warfare 4, Battlefield 4, and more: melee is unlocked in the base game, controls for shooting guns are a DLC pack that costs at least 400 MSP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolentCabaret View Post
This guide continues to warm my heart and piss off my roommates. Thanks so much!
mjc0961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #12
True I Skill

The Khaos's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Haha was you the guy who said that?

Ehh it sucks, but i guess its just the way things are going, more and more people are playing these games that have not experienced free cheats in the game from the begginin, So to them its like a whole new feature that nobody has ever thought of before.

Any list of cheats that are already in the game?
Old 11-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #13
mjc0961

mjc0961's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by True I Skill View Post
Haha was you the guy who said that?

Ehh it sucks, but i guess its just the way things are going, more and more people are playing these games that have not experienced free cheats in the game from the begginin, So to them its like a whole new feature that nobody has ever thought of before.
You mean a bunch of poor bastards who would scratch their heads and ask WTF you're talking about if you asked them what the Konami code was? Sadly, I can see that. There's still no way I'm ever paying for cheat codes, but it's really strange to think that there's people who see this and go "ooh, good deal!"

Quote:
This guide continues to warm my heart and piss off my roommates. Thanks so much!
Old 11-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #14
tripleb2k

BobZombie3k's Gamercard

Awards Showcase GRID 2 Award   Submit - Bronze   1,000 Posts
LOL no they're not.

Epic - Asking 3600 MS points for all the weapons skins. Plus the 2400 points for a Season Pass (you are saving money for all the DLC but that's a lot to ask after you just bought the game).

Rocksteady - In order to play as Catwoman in the story, you must buy the Bundle worth 800 points if you buy used. Argument can be made that it isn't too bad but they literally ripped out apart of the storyline.
tripleb2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #15
Silverbolt00

Fraser00's Gamercard
I'd call Capcom as one of the greediest ..... but anyway, the shitty thing is, most of this DLC is actually on the disc so i think it's a fair point to say people are getting shafted when the content is locked on the disc and you have to pay extra for what you've already bought that is right there on you're copy of the disc you spent you're (sometimes) hard earned money on. If it's it stuff made for afters like add-ons and what not then yeah, take it or leave it but when shit is on the disc and they lock it to crank more money out of you, that's a little below the belt.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #16
mjc0961

mjc0961's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleb2k View Post
Epic - Asking 3600 MS points for all the weapons skins. Plus the 2400 points for a Season Pass (you are saving money for all the DLC but that's a lot to ask after you just bought the game).
Epic is greedy for letting people save money on DLC? Yeah, it's an extra $30, but it's still less than what you'd pay buying the packs individually. There's nothing greedy about that one.

Weapon skins, on the other hand, yeah. Little bit greedy there. I'd rank selling cheat codes as a bit worse though. Gun skins are just gun skins. I can pay and have a green gun or whatever or I can just use the regular gun and the gun is still the same. The overall play experience hasn't changed. Now cheat codes, those do change the game and it used to be you could buy a game like this and then just dick around with cheat codes once you found them or looked them up. Now you have to buy them, WTF?! Both weapon skins and cheats should be unlockable in the game as soon as you buy it, but I'm more upset about being asked to buy cheats than I am some do-nothing weapon skins. I'm not giving extra money to Epic or Volition for either of them.

Also, Gears 3 has no online pass despite the dedicated servers and the whole slew of multiplayer modes in the game. Saints Row The Third has one just for two-player co-op. Although that's most likely THQ's doing rather than Volition's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbolt00 View Post
I'd call Capcom as one of the greediest .....
Me too.

Quote:

Last edited by mjc0961; 11-17-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #17
Taegost

Send a message via AIM to Taegost Send a message via Yahoo to Taegost

Taegost's Gamercard
I think selling the Online Pass like they are is a great move, honestly. Not only do you have the sale of used games chipping into their profits, you have services like Gamefly that are literally eliminating a large chunk of them. Gamestop and Blockbuster have or will have similar services. The company gets paid once for a copy that may be sent around to over a hundred people.
If they play offline, then they're not affected, but if someone (Like my friend who's getting it in from Gamefly today) wants to play online, then they have to shell out the money, which helps mitigate the losses the company is suffering from the service.
It only makes sense. We may not like it (I don't, even though I understand), but the options are either A) find new ways to generate revenue from these services, or B) stop making games. I'm all for supporting companies that put out great products, and even though I may not like it, I'd still buy it if I hadn't pre-ordered the game, because Saints Row is that awesome.
Taegost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #18
DarkCrown

DarkCrown JGT's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
You people don't realise how much effort and people it need to make a game , how do you think those people are paid?

I think that you shall look yourself to find the greedy one. No one is forcing you to buy the DLC , if you enjoy the game , just do , it's not like you are being force to buy 300$ worth of dlc every week.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #19
Magicman10893

Magicman10893's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc0961 View Post
Epic is greedy for letting people save money on DLC? Yeah, it's an extra $30, but it's still less than what you'd pay buying the packs individually. There's nothing greedy about that one.

Weapon skins, on the other hand, yeah. Little bit greedy there. I'd rank selling cheat codes as a bit worse though. Gun skins are just gun skins. I can pay and have a green gun or whatever or I can just use the regular gun and the gun is still the same. The overall play experience hasn't changed. Now cheat codes, those do change the game and it used to be you could buy a game like this and then just dick around with cheat codes once you found them or looked them up. Now you have to buy them, WTF?! Both weapon skins and cheats should be unlockable in the game as soon as you buy it, but I'm more upset about being asked to buy cheats than I am some do-nothing weapon skins. I'm not giving extra money to Epic or Volition for either of them.

Also, Gears 3 has no online pass despite the dedicated servers and the whole slew of multiplayer modes in the game. Saints Row The Third has one just for two-player co-op. Although that's most likely THQ's doing rather than Volition's.

Me too.
The worst part of the cheat codes is that most of them can be unlocked with regular play. If you buy the damage reducing upgrades you eventually unlock unlimited health and buying ammo capacity increasing upgrades eventually gives you unlimited ammo.

The only thing paying extra real-life money does is unlock it early, like Bad Company: Gold Edition let you pay $10 extra to use the weapons you unlock at the highest rank from the beginning.
Magicman10893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:42 PM   #20
TomahawkBrian

SRTT is short cos Volition took away half the game and uses them to sell the forty weeks DLCs. It is a fucking rip off.

TomahawkBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:51 PM   #21
mjc0961

mjc0961's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taegost View Post
It only makes sense. We may not like it (I don't, even though I understand), but the options are either A) find new ways to generate revenue from these services, or B) stop making games. I'm all for supporting companies that put out great products, and even though I may not like it, I'd still buy it if I hadn't pre-ordered the game, because Saints Row is that awesome.
Wrong. There's another option: they could find a way to try and convince people to buy new instead of punishing every customer who buys their game. New players get punished by having to go through the process of proving they bought the game new by entering a giant code. They should be rewarding people who buy new instead. Project Ten Dollar from EA was a good idea (free DLC if you buy new), but people bitched about that for some reason. Now all we get is this online pass bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCrown View Post
No one is forcing you to buy the DLC
No shit? That doesn't mean we have to be happy that they're taking out stuff we used to get for our original $60 and asking us to pay more for it.

Quote:
Old 11-17-2011, 11:56 PM   #22
cmcgregor

Avistent's Gamercard
Quote:
then buy the game and it wont be an issue. Every game came with the co-op code in it.
cmcgregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:59 PM   #23
Mikeyspinkick

Spinkick 9000's Gamercard
Greediest Company? See: Capcom

Mikeyspinkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:24 AM   #24
jtredsox

JT Red S0X's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcgregor View Post
then buy the game and it wont be an issue. Every game came with the co-op code in it.
Why buy a game that you can beat in a day? and that has zero replay value.

jtredsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:27 AM   #25
DarkCrown

DarkCrown JGT's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Wrong. There's another option: they could find a way to try and convince people to buy new instead of punishing every customer who buys their game. New players get punished by having to go through the process of proving they bought the game new by entering a giant code. They should be rewarding people who buy new instead. Project Ten Dollar from EA was a good idea (free DLC if you buy new), but people bitched about that for some reason. Now all we get is this online pass bullshit.

No shit? That doesn't mean we have to be happy that they're taking out stuff we used to get for our original $60 and asking us to pay more for it.
They take off nothing , they simply code a part of the new dlc on the cd , this way you don't have to download a huge gigabyte over. Some people have limited bandwidth and by downloading dlc they can pay extra from they isp.

My friend have a 10gig limit per month .

Knowing that some dlc aren't on the disc I'm sure you wouldn't scream about it.

You complaint about not having DLC for a game and now you complaint because there is too much and Volition is screwing us.

The only way people will be happy it's if company give you everything for free.

But after that , how will they pay they graphic team , coding team , team leader , owner ....

Those people just don't create that game and after that go on beach to celebrate. They still have to go to work , each day like every one of us.

I know 10 people working for different game company and I can tell you they are working they ass off in order to provide us those game.

I'm so sick and tired to see everyone everywhere blasting any company for shitty reason.

It's not like you have to pay to unlock the next mission for F sake..
Old 11-18-2011, 03:51 AM   #26
WheelzthatKeelz

wh00kie's Gamercard
Here's an idea...

Just buy the game new!! It's a brand new fucking game, if you're not buying it new then you're obviously renting it or downloading it. If you're doing either of these things then shut the fuck up. Don't care if you download a game but don't bitch about having to pay $10 dollars to play it online or for some dlc. If you downloaded it then you've already saved yourself x amount of dollars. If you rented it, then that's your own fault, you can't complain. $10 rental and $10 to get online if you wanna play that way? That's a 3rd/4th of the total game price.

You don't wanna pay the price of admission? Then don't attend the fucking carnival.
WheelzthatKeelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:32 AM   #27
Dazz

Dr Venkman07's Gamercard
^ What he said

I bought the Epic Edition of Gears 3, bought Season Pass days before it was released, enjoyed my Horde Command stuff without paying extra cause it was already bought with the pass. Only getting free weapon skins, ones I have to pay for don't look that good anyway.

Saints Row The Third, I bought the Season Pass in anticipation of its release in just a few short hours. Can't wait to get stuff for it like I bought the DLC for the last game. Don't need cheat DLC, I'll never use them and since there aren't any co-op achievements this time I don't need co-op either.

Everyone I know are getting it new anyway tomorrow/today so we have co-op there if we decide to do it.

I'll be getting WWE '12 next week on release and the Fan Axxess/Season Pass for the second year running on that series just to get the extra movesets for my created characters.

If you wanna complain and whine about it then hey, don't get the extra content and leave videogames alone and don't come back, sell your consoles just in case temptation to play is too great in case you bitch again.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:59 AM   #28
ColdSpider72

ColdSpider72's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts
Quote:
Why buy a game that you can beat in a day? and that has zero replay value.
If that were true, then you wouldn't give a rat's ass about playing co-op in the first place, right?

That is one of the reasons co-op exists.....to add replay value. I play the game solo to pay attention to the story and upgrading, then head online with other people to just have fun and not have to focus on any one thing in paticular.

If nobody showed their support for the developer by buying new then they wouldn't be able to keep cranking out games.

Last edited by ColdSpider72; 11-18-2011 at 12:02 PM.
ColdSpider72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #29
Taegost

Send a message via AIM to Taegost Send a message via Yahoo to Taegost

Taegost's Gamercard
Quote:

... So, I can understand your point about entering the code to prove you bought the game being obnoxious, but the rest of your argument makes no sense. It's not a punishment, it's the same thing you do with PC games, it's just starting to move to the consoles.
And it absolutely is an incentive to purchase the game, how can you justify your statement that it is not?
Taegost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #30
Strid

Quote:
Wrong. There's another option: they could find a way to try and convince people to buy new instead of punishing every customer who buys their game.
There is no "find", the method already exist but most modern gamers are too retarded, both in mind and money, to realize it. See, back in the good old days if a company wanted to keep their product selling more new than used they simply made a product worth buying in the first place. A quality product that had a comparable worth to its price.

You don't see Honda bitching that their vehicles, in America at least, are probably the best selling pre-owned vehicles on the market (because they're good at retaining value; a damn fine machine). As a matter of fact, you don't see very many industries outside of the gaming industry upset over used sales (in the vehicle business re-sale value is a marketable entity). Partially because, for now, they can get away with these things since copyright law hasn't been updated since the T-Rex had its last breath. Mostly though, its something to do with all these $60 turds we see floating around out there anymore.

*TLDR; make games that are worth staying on a gamer's shelf instead of a used game store's shelf.
Strid is offline   Reply With Quote