PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Subscribe    Donate

Old 11-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #1
Zanmato88

Zanmato88's Gamercard
Guide to Leveling Skills

Current Status = Still working on guide.

I decided to write this guide while I was leveling my skills, the point of the guide is too list efficient ways of raising your skills to level 100. My plan is to list the ways I use, and if anyone contributes a more efficient proven way I will include it.

Before you start

While leveling there are a few things to take into consideration which can make leveling certain skills quicker these are:

Well rested:
This bonus is gained by sleeping in a bed for 12 hours, this increases the rate at what a speed increases by 10%.

Lovers Comfort:
This bonus is gained by sleeping in a bed with your wife/husband, and adds 15% increase to experience gained.

Standing Stones:
The Standing Stones are also a must when grinding out your skills, each one gives 20% faster learning to that particular school, you will come across these at the beginning of the game when you leave Helgan.

The Mage Stone–Alteration, Conjuration, Destruction, Enchanting, Illusion, and Restoration.

The Thief Stone – Alchemy, Light Armour, Lockpicking, Pickpocketing, Sneaking and Speech.

The Warrior Stone – Archery, Blocking, Heavy Armour, One-Handed
, Smithing and Two-Handed.

The Lover Stone - This gives a 15% increase to experience gained to all skills and can be found east of Markarth, just north of Kolskeggr Mine.

Bonus Points
:
After one quest you receive a book which grants you a 5 point bonus to one of the skill sets(Mage, Thief, or Warrior). Keep this in mind because you want to make the most of the 5 points and not waste any.

Mage Skills
For the mage skills I used items that gave a lot of magicka regen so that you can cast spells quicker without using potions.

Alteration - I used the Telekinesis spell to level this. I was fortunate to find it in a dungeon(unfortunately I can't remember what dungeon) This is an adept alteration spell but it allows you to level up Alteration fairly easily. The method is simple, if you place some books on one of the designated bookshelves in a house you own and use Telekinesis on it, the book doesn't seems to move towards you but Alteration levels up. This makes it fairly quick to level.

Conjuration - I used the bound sword method for this, DeSparrow kindly contributed this method, if you go to Broken Tower Redoubt, in the Markarth/Morath district of the game. Kill the Forsworn patrolling, then get the attention of the Archers on the tower. You can position yourself so they can't hit you but stay in combat. So when you cast Bound Sword it increases your conjuration. To speed this up make sure you use it in both hands. I had a few issues which I think came from having quiet casting so I found a slaughterfish in a nearby river stood on the bank and used the same method. It took me about 45 minutes to raise from 30 to 100.

Destruction - I don't know of an easy way to raise this ability, I have been using Destruction spells through out the game, so mine has naturally been leveling, I'm unsure of a quick and simple way of raising this skill as I believe the spells have to cause damage to raise the skill.

Enchanting - The easiest way to level this is buying the materials(Filled Petty Soul Gems and Filled Lesser Soul Gems) then simply enchanting. If you couple this with Smithing you can easily reduce your costs. Smithing iron daggers and enchanting them with Paralyse or Absorb Health. You learn enchants by disenchanting items with the enchants you want to learn. To speed the process up you can restock vendors by waiting 48 hours by using the
button.

Illusion - This is possibly one of the easiest skills to level, if you purchase the apprentice level spell Muffle from any spell vendor, then you just need to spam it over and over on yourself and you can just watch the skill rise. I did this in my room at Winterhold College but this can be done anywhere.

Restoration - This one takes a little bit of effort, I coupled this with leveling Heavy Armour and Light Armour. If you find a low level enemy that doesn't damage you too heavily and have at least one item with Magicka Regenerate 100% faster, you can repeatedly heal yourself which will work on both your chosen armour stat and your restoration, I used the Fast Healing spell as the was the best combination for mana cost to healing.

Last edited by Zanmato88; 11-23-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Zanmato88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #2
Zanmato88

Zanmato88's Gamercard
Thief Skills:
Alchemy - The most effective and efficient way of leveling Alchemy is to craft potions. I'm not going to give a too detail description as Method's "A Guide to the Best Weapons and Armor"has an excellent description of leveling Alchemy. When crafting you want to work on potions that cost more money because these give more experience towards the skill. It's also a very good way of creating money.

Light Armour - See Restoration.

Lockpicking - Coming Soon.

Pickpocketing - The only effective way I have discovered for leveling Pickpocket is to go round and pickpocketing people making sure you have thief stone and well rested active. Just hit up the main holds sneak up behind someone and attempt to pickpocket, the heavy and more valuable items are harder to steal but reward you with more exp. It's worth being a member of the thieves guild just so you can sell your loot. I always saved it before starting a pickpocket and would loot 3-4 items save it then loot the rest, loading if I got caught to avoid any bounty. Bit long and tedious but seemed the most effective way.

Sneak - An easy method to leveling Sneak is similar to that which could be used in Oblivion if you find a room with multiple people sleeping in, find a place where you will be hidden while crouching and just back into a wall or walk into an object which won't move and your Sneak skill will rise quickly.

Speech - The easiest way is to go to the Black Briar Mead
ery in Riften. Behind the desk upstairs in a NPC called Ungrien who has an endless speechcraft loop (bribe/persuade). Once your speech is at 25 you can just use persuade and keep pressing and it will just level your speech as you will keep selecting the Persuade option. You have to ask him about Maven.

Warrior Skill:
Archery - Coming soon.

Blocking - I tried the method below but found that I was taking too much damage. I however believe it will work if you have got a high enough armour rating. Instead I used one troll in the same place, and healed when I my health was low. It took me just under an hour to go from level 19 to 100.

"Blocking can be done REALLY quick in Bleak Coast Cave (the one with 3 Frost Trolls and the Star Wars reference). Just equip a good shield (upgraded Spellbreaker for me) and have 2-3 trolls beat up on you while healing every once in a while. I went from 30ish to 100 in maybe half an hour. "

Heavy Armour - See Restoration.

One-Handed - Coming Soon.

Smithing - Smithing is fairly easy to level to 100 in this game. Each item crafted at the forge adds the same amount of experience. This mean you can create Iron Daggers(1 Iron Ingot + 1 Leather Strip) or Leather Bracers(1 Leather + 2 Leather Strips) which are two very cheap recipes and this will raise your Smithing very quickly. Blacksmiths sell the materials to make this items so you can just restock them by waiting 48 hours in game and continuously buy materials. As mentioned earlier it's worth leveling this with enchanting for more information have a looks a Method's Guide.

Two-Handed - Coming Soon.

Acknowledgement:
DeSparrow, Ethereal235, IDiivil, Predalien90

And anyone else has contributed stuff yet to be added and for anyone has read the guide

Last edited by Zanmato88; 12-09-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
FireWarrior316

FireWarrior316's Gamercard
can you please change the color or something. its all black and i can't read it.
FireWarrior316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:18 AM   #4
Zanmato88

Zanmato88's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWarrior316 View Post
can you please change the color or something. its all black and i can't read it.
Sorry was still formatting, changed

Edit: Also working on the coming soons, looking for effective ways to level them, heard of the speech loop for levelling speech but haven't tried, been levelling that by selling crafted and looted stuff.

Last edited by Zanmato88; 11-22-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:39 AM   #5
BluWolve

BluWolve's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 5   Subscriber - Platinum   Submit - Silver   A+ Thread Award   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
For lockpicking, you can just get a heap of lockpicks, find a master lock (there is one on a display cabinet in the jarls quarters section of dragonsreach in whiterun) and continuosly break them. Your lockpicking skill goes up a little just by failing. I personally don't use this method as natural game progression has seemed to work fine for levelling the skill up for me, I just open every lock I can find, even if I do not take anything from the container.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astinus, Chronicler of the History of Krynn
History should note, however, that the Light would have been doomed to failure if not for one man who chose to walk in Darkness
BluWolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:56 AM   #6
Swiftly

UnderWat3r's Gamercard
For Conjuration, simply spam Soul Trap on some poor creature that barely hurts. I got from 88-100 in about 10 minutes(this way you also skill the armor you´re wearing). Oh, and I used the crabs, which are close to/in rivers.

For Destruction you can use the prequest for Companions which requires you to fight against someone in their backyard. He only takes damage from physical so spells wont hurt him, he also tells you to not use spells(you exit combat for a short time to regen Magicka during that), so it's awesome.

Last edited by Swiftly; 11-22-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Swiftly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:26 AM   #7
DeSparrow

DeSparrow's Gamercard
Some to help finish your guide.

Conjuration - Go to Broken Tower Redoubt in the Markarth/Morath Districts of the game. Simply kill the one or two patrolling Forsworn out front and then get the attention of the archer on top of the tower, DO NO KILL THEM. These couple of archers won't leave the top of the tower. Find yourself a good spot by the wall where the archers cant hit you. Equip the spell "Conjure Sword" in both hands. Do not dual cast it, simply stagger cast it ie, cast in one hand then other, then let go of first hand then second. Since you are technically "in a battle" with the archer it will count as working on your conjuration. (ETA for 100 from 20... 1 Hour)

Destruction & Restoration - Just steal a horse and run out to the middle of nowhere where you won't be bothered by guards (since your now a horse thief). Turn your difficulty setting to novice so the horse wont be doing any damage to you. Equip healing hands in one hand and sparks/flames in the other hand. Just start mad casting both on the horse. You are damaging and healing it at the same time henceforth increasing both skills.
(ETA for 100 in both from 20.... 1.5 Hours)

Sneak - Your method does work but it takes forever so here is a quicker way. Go to Horogath. Make sure you take a regular plain iron dagger so you do minimal damage. There is a hallway around the inside which monks face the window and kneel down to pray. Just crouch behind one of them and attack a couple times with the dagger. If they stand up wait a second and attack another time or two. Just keep your eye on THE eye and make sure it's closed. As long as it's closed every swing will yield you a 3x sneak attack damage and quickly level your sneak skill. (ETA for 100 from 20.... 45 minutes)

Speech - Go to Riften, find the Black Briar Meadery. Find the bartender in the front. Select option "Tell me about Maven Black Briar"... Then choose "C'mon, now tell me what you really think" which is a persuade option. You will get a speech check and then you just rinse and repeat. You are still in the dialogue with him and it stays lit up on the same options so just... A button... A button... A button... A button. Voila, 100 Speech. (ETA for 100 from 20... 30 Mins)

Light Armour & Heavy Armour - Once again... steal a horse (you thief you)... Go back out to the middle of nowhere. Turn the difficulty back down to novice. Make your horse mad at you. It'll start attacking you. If you have an HP of around 200+ it shouldn't be able to do enough damage to even phase you but it is attacking you and it is increasing your skill. Just make the horse mad, rubberband your other analog to spin you in a slow circle so your controller won't time out and shut off. Go to lunch/dinner/movie. Once you get back you should have increased your skill in either light or heavy armour by around 60 points in a two hour period. (ETA for 100 from 20.... 6 Hours?)

Blocking - Get a shield, any shield. Go back to the Broken Tower Redoubt. Find that wandering patrol guard out front I mentioned in the conjuration. She duals wield one handed weapons. Equip a healing spell in one hand and shield in the other. Just stand there and block her. Since she attacks so fast cause she is using two weapons the skill should increase rather fast. Just keep an eye on your health and if it starts to drop just heal, heal, heal. (ETA for 100 from 20.... 1.5 hours)

Archery - Aquire the spell "summon bow" We're gonna use this instead of a real bow simply based on the fact that a summoned bow does now require real arrows and it makes magical ones to go with it. Find a mammoth somewhere near a nice rocky little hill. Mammoths can't climb rocky hills. Just make the mammoth mad at you, get on top of that little rocky hill, summon your bow and then pluck away. Keep an eye on the mammoths health so as to not kill it. Remember if you turn the difficulty to master it should regenerate more hp then you should be dishing out however you are still dishing out damage. Will take a bit but if you only wanna level up the bow for the free perks to use on other skills this is the best way I've found. (ETA for 100 from 20.... 3 to 4 hours)

One Handed & Two Handed Weapons - Go get yourself any hired mercenary/companion. Go to your house (if you don't have a house yet just go to the inn and get a room and have them come into it with you). Simply attack your companion 3 times.... wait 5 seconds... attack 3 times.... wait 5 seconds... attack 3 times... Rinse and repeat. As long as you do minimal damage to your companion they shouldn't turn on you and there health will regen pretty quick. Just save often on this one as sometimes they do get mad and leave you. If they do try putting your weapon up and asking them to re-join you. That worked for me about 70% of the time. (ETA for 100 from 20... 4 Hours a peice?)

Lockpicking - Buy lockpicks anytime you see them. Try to make sure you always have 100+ on you at any given time. If you come across a master lock. Simply break 40 or 50 lockpicks. It will raise your lockpicking everytime a pick breaks whether you successfully picked the lock or not. Once you feel you are starting to run lower on picks, just finish off the lock. Re-stock your supply of picks and then just wait for the next master lock you come across. This trick works on any lock however I find it easier to break the picks on master locks as the higher your lockpick gets the more likely chance that easier locks will not need to be adjusted anymore when you go to pick them. (ETA for 100 from 20... No clue. Still not there.)

Enchanting - The method I used was a little different. Rather then buying empty gems and just go around to fill them I simply bought ones that were already filled. If you saved your daggers from the massive smithing we did to increase it you should have 400+ iron daggers just laying around all begging to be enchanted. So, enchant them. Something cheap and simple. Then, hoping you have your speech at 50 and have chosen the merchant perk, just sell the daggers to the mages in Winterhold. First buy all there filled soul gems (not the grand as they tend to run close to 1K a peice). Then sell all your enchanted daggers to them. Go enchant some more with the soul gems you just got. Rest/Wait for 48 hours. All the merchants now have new soul gems and a fresh supply of gold. Buy more gems, sell more daggers. Rinse and repeat. By the time I finished this one I actually was making money as I kept dropping into the first level enchantment perk making it stronger. (ETA for 100 from 20... 2 to 3 hours)

And you already covered smithing, illusion and alchemy. So that should about do it I think. If I left anything out or you need clarification on something just let me. know.

--== Sparrow Takes Flight ==--
DeSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:35 AM   #8
Ethereal235

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal235

Zero132132's Gamercard
Why isn't 'The Lover' mentioned here? That standing stone makes all skills increase 15% faster. It isn't 20%, but it isn't relegated to a specific skill type either.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:53 AM   #9
IDiivil

Send a message via AIM to IDiivil

idiivil's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Lover's Comfort or whatever should be mentioned too. It's a bonus to the skill increase for sleeping in the same bed as your spouse.

Like my avatar? If so, you can see more of my modeling work at http://www.facebook.com/idiivil
IDiivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:55 AM   #10
Darkskilling

Darkskilling's Gamercard
good guide, I think it would be worth saying that for illusion, you can train it while exploring and doing the quests, no need to stay in one place, for example I got my illusion to 100 casting muffle (of course) while doing all the storylines , so I was just casting it and then whe nI had to fight would switch to my shield, fight, then switch back to muffle and cast.. that or , for 90-100 I had great armor so I didn,t even need my shield :P so basically I spent 1 hour max training the skill, all of that time being being the spell and switchign back and forth to shield
Darkskilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:09 AM   #11
Cheftastytreats

ChefTastyTreats's Gamercard
conjuration, if you can find an enemy thats weak or cant hit you just cast bound sword then sheath your weapon then recast and repeat

lockpicking, go to theives guild and join then the fence in there usually sells 30-40 picks at a time buy her out then restock her and buy as much as you want then go into the actual guild part and to the left will be some locked chests with different difficulties and pick the mast one and just hold your right stick any way and repeatedly break your picks and level up
Cheftastytreats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #12
Zanmato88

Zanmato88's Gamercard
Thanks for all the feedback I'm not free till tomorrow but I'll update it then lot of good methods listed, also will add about the lover standing stone and sleeping with a spouse. Thanks again guys would do it now but I'm at work >_<.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #13
Predalien90

Blocking can be done REALLY quick in Bleak Coast Cave (the one with 3 Frost Trolls and the Star Wars reference). Just equip a good shield (upgraded Spellbreaker for me) and have 2-3 trolls beat up on you while healing every once in a while. I went from 30ish to 100 in maybe half an hour.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #14
VyzieTaur

VyzieTaur's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Nice guide

And thanks to those who put up tips about conjuration...thats what i need

http://duxter.com/VyzieTaur - Social networking for gamers!
VyzieTaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #15
BSH 1975

BSH 1975's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanmato88 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback I'm not free till tomorrow but I'll update it then lot of good methods listed, also will add about the lover standing stone and sleeping with a spouse. Thanks again guys would do it now but I'm at work >_<.

no thank YOU!!! it's been real helpfull !

BSH 1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #16
M4LKiN

Quick question;
If I get a skill to level 100 and then I get skill books. Will it take my skill to 101+ or is 100 the absolute max.
M4LKiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #17
NightListenerUK

The Cosmic Duck's Gamercard
Quick question. I'm only level 10. If I start doing this stuff now will it screw my game up? Naturally I only have access to iron and steel weapons and armour so will I get my ass kicked if I do any of this stuff now?

Should I leave it till later in the game to do?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #18
Swiftly

UnderWat3r's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightListenerUK View Post
Quick question. I'm only level 10. If I start doing this stuff now will it screw my game up? Naturally I only have access to iron and steel weapons and armour so will I get my ass kicked if I do any of this stuff now?

Should I leave it till later in the game to do?
The game will get harder every time you level up so you should do this with caution.. Though, the game will get easier with your main skills leveled aswell. It's your choice Get alchemy/smithing/enchanting otherwise and the game will be pretty easy even on the harder difficulties.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:54 PM   #19
jwtaylor1980

armaedes's Gamercard
Does attacking practice dummies improve skills?
jwtaylor1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #20
Zanmato88

Zanmato88's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtaylor1980 View Post
Does attacking practice dummies improve skills?
I'm not sure I will test it out in a little while, busy again today and early evening so will try putting a bit more up later, just added a few things to the guide. The conjuration trick worked nicely so thanks to all who mentioned that. I also added the stuff about Lovers Comfort and the Lover Standing Stone.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #21
Qonok

Qonok's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Staff Club - Never Final   Over Achiever - Silver
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Lockpicking - Rather than breaking lockpicks on a Master lock...go find someones house/business that has an Adept lock and pick it at night. Then wait an hour (sometimes 2) and it should be relocked. Then just pick it again. If the lock doesn't relock then it might be too late in the day (since most houses/businesses aren't locked during the day) so you should wait until night again to start over. Not every lock gets relocked after waiting. Most do but not all. If lock isn't relocking then find another.

Picking a lock successfully gives more experience faster than failing a Master lock.

I say Adept lock because it is less time consuming to pick than Master lock until you get your skill up high.

Last edited by Qonok; 11-24-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Qonok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:51 AM   #22
Keytta

Send a message via MSN to Keytta

Keytta's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Sneaking: Find the blind man in the cave (can't remember which one) and go into sneak mode, rubber band the stick so you keep walking into the wall by him.

Lt/Hvy Armor: Find a corridor with swinging axes and enjoy jumping in and out.

Restoration: While playing with the swinging axes keep healing yourself. This beats looking for a creature to attack you. If you don't want to go looking for creatures or swinging axes just jump in the water and wait until your health goes down from drowning and heal up. Rinse and repeat (couldn't resist the pun).
Keytta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:35 AM   #23
Lord of Fate

Liquid N2's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSparrow View Post
Sneak - Your method does work but it takes forever so here is a quicker way. Go to Horogath. Make sure you take a regular plain iron dagger so you do minimal damage. There is a hallway around the inside which monks face the window and kneel down to pray. Just crouch behind one of them and attack a couple times with the dagger. If they stand up wait a second and attack another time or two. Just keep your eye on THE eye and make sure it's closed. As long as it's closed every swing will yield you a 3x sneak attack damage and quickly level your sneak skill. (ETA for 100 from 20.... 45 minutes)
Can you please specify where "Horogath" is? I looked it up online but could not find anything on it. Maybe misspelled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qonok View Post
Lockpicking - Rather than breaking lockpicks on a Master lock...go find someones house/business that has an Adept lock and pick it at night. Then wait an hour (sometimes 2) and it should be relocked. Then just pick it again. If the lock doesn't relock then it might be too late in the day (since most houses/businesses aren't locked during the day) so you should wait until night again to start over. Not every lock gets relocked after waiting. Most do but not all. If lock isn't relocking then find another.

Picking a lock successfully gives more experience faster than failing a Master lock.

I say Adept lock because it is less time consuming to pick than Master lock until you get your skill up high.
As far as I've experienced, trying to re-open any locks that I have already opened before has failed to net me any further experience (other than when lockpicks are broken on the lock). Windhelm has 3 homes that have Master locks that always re-lock every night and I would try and re-pick them a few times before I realized I was not getting any experience for re-opening the locks. Then again I was using the Skeleton Key to pick them so maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited by Lord of Fate; 12-03-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Lord of Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #24
EveAres

EveAres's Gamercard
Quote:
Conjuration - I used the bound sword method for this, DeSparrow kindly contributed this method, if you go to Broken Tower Redoubt, in the Markarth/Morath district of the game. Kill the Forsworn patrolling, then get the attention of the Archers on the tower. You can position yourself so they can't hit you but stay in combat. So when you cast Bound Sword it increases your conjuration. To speed this up make sure you use it in both hands. I had a few issues which I think came from having quiet casting so I found a slaughterfish in a nearby river stood on the bank and used the same method. It took me about 45 minutes to raise from 30 to 100.
There's a much, much faster way to level this. It takes 10 minutes to go from skill level 20-100 by just casting Soul Trap on a dead body.

Quote:
Speech - Coming Soon.
There's a young guy in the Black-Briar Meadery within Riften, who you can question about Maven Black-Briar. As you're doing this, the option to persuade him doesn't go away and you can repeatedly persuade him to level your Speech. It takes roughly 45 minutes from 15-100. You also need to have a minimum level in speech of 25 so you can raise it the first 5-10 levels by bribing him to tell you about her and then switch to persuade once you hit 25.

Also, for Alchemy, I found this spreadsheet to be very useful in making very well-rounded potions that would boost my alchemy very quickly. Some of the potions at the very top can give you 1/5th of your alchemy skill level at 80+.

Last edited by EveAres; 12-03-2011 at 01:48 PM.
EveAres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #25
Regarded Llama

Regarded Llama's Gamercard
Quote:
Destruction - I don't know of an easy way to raise this ability, I have been using Destruction spells through out the game, so mine has naturally been leveling, I'm unsure of a quick and simple way of raising this skill as I believe the spells have to cause damage to raise the skill.
I think the amount of destruction experience gained is due to the level (Novice, Apprentice, Adept, Expert or Master) of the spell, and to the damage caused. I'm not 100% on this, but it seemed to be the case when I was leveling. So if this is correct, Expert spells (as you have to be a 'Master' of Destruction to be assigned a quest for the Master spells) with a continuous damage, rather than a bolt, are your best bet. This is what I found as the best way to level my Destruction;
All you need to do is dual-equip your best spell (I found Wall of Flames/Storms/Ice worked best, as they are Expert level and continuous) and kill enemies. This got me from level 89 to 100 in about 10 minutes. It works best on enemies with a lot of HP, but that you can fight with ease. When I leveled from 89 to 100, I was fighting 'Magical Anomalies' for the College of Winterhold, but I assume that any enemy will work fine.
This can be made even easier if you have already done enchanting up to 100 (with all perks etc.), as you can disenchant a 'Novice Robes of Destruction', and then enchant a helmet, piece of armor, amulet/necklace and ring, and if you have level 100 enchanting, all the perks and you're using 'Grand Soul Gems (Grand)', then each 'Fortify Destruction' enchantment reduces spell cost by 25%. 4 of these items means you can then cast all Destruction spells for free.
NOTE:
The enchanting perks required are;
- All 5 ranks of 'Enchanter'
- 'Insightful Enchanter'
- Not positive on this one, but 'Corpus Enchanter'

And you fight 10 'Magical Anomalies' in one of the final 'College of Winterhold' quests

Quote:
Blocking - Coming soon.
Again this is much easier with a high level enchanting, with all 5 ranks of 'Enchanter' and 'Corpus Enchanter' perks taken. Enchant anything you can with 'Regen Health'. If you're enchanting is 100, you could also take 'Extra Enchantment' and put 'Fortify Block' as well, although I had no troubles with just 'Regen Health' enchantments.
The next step is to go to a bandit camp/cave etc. Kill all the low level bandits and any using magic, until you're left with a bandit chief or equivalent. I found it worked best with a dual-wielding enemy. All you have to do then is equip a shield and block. I think it took about 20-30 minutes (maybe longer- not too sure as I maxed this a while ago) of continuous blocking for me to get 25-100 blocking. You could also turn the difficulty down and equip a healing spell in your right hand to make sure you don't die.

Lockpicking- I'm not absolutely certain about this, as my Thieve's Guild glitched up and I can't obtain the Skeleton Key. :'(
Anyway... I've heard that the 'failure' animation of the lockpick breaking still plays with the Skeleton Key, the only difference being you can never run out of lockpicks. If this is true, then you should still get experience for every failed attempt, so if you find a Master lock, you could just wedge your right analog stick to one side (maybe use a wired controller or play and charge kit), constantly failing the lock, while you go away and do something else.
Maybe someone who has the Skeleton Key could confirm that you can still fail, and get XP, from a lockpick attempt?

Sneak- the way I did this was to join the Dark Brotherhood. In the Sanctuary, Astrid will be leaning over a table, just at the bottom of the stairs from the entrance. All you have to do then is go in sneak, equip a weapon (not spell, as this gets rid of your hidden status before it hits) and hit Astrid. Let the 'sneak meter' go back to hidden. Then hit her again. Rinse and repeat. She doesn't die, but can run out of health and go into that unconscious state. If this happens, just wait for 24 hours and carry on. The odd time she will say you have to pay a 500 gold fine if you would like to carry on with your contracts. I'm not sure if they attack you if you don't pay it and carry on attacking her.
I do not take credit for this one, and here is the video I used to find it;

Restoration & Alteration- This requires you to be part way through the College of Winterhold quest line. Eventually, you'll be asked to go to the 'Labyrinthian'. Somewhere in here, there is a spell tome for 'Equilibria'. This spell converts your health to magicka. Now all you need to do is go to a safe place, like your house, and equip both 'Equilibria' and the novice level continuous healing spell. Keep casting both of these spells, eventually, the healing won't be able to keep up, so just heal instead. Or, again if you have high enough enchanting (I know, I've mentioned this in almost all these skill guides ) you can put a couple of Health Regen enchantments on, and if you're positive you take no damge from 'Equilibria' whilst healing, you can just tape your analog sticks down while you go away. I think my Restoration went from about 25 to 90 in a hour or so. Unfortunately, Equilibria levels Alteration painfully slowly. Again, I don't take credit for this method, and here's a video to help you get the 'Equilibria' spell;

But I haven't tried your Restoration method, so I don't know which works best, just offering an alternative. I suppose this one suffers from the fact you aren't doing up any armor skills, and the Alteration gain is so minute that it's negligible.

Hope this helps, and great guide
Oblivion (1250/1250)
Mercenaries 2 (1000/1000)
Assassain's Creed II (1000/1000)
Call of Duty: World at War (1500/1500)
Fallout: New Vegas (1530/1530)
Fable 3 (1250/1250)
Call of Duty 4 (1000/1000)
LA Noire (1100/1100)
Skyrim (1550/1550)
Forza Motorsport 4 (1250/1250)
RAGE (1000/1000)
Borderlands 2 (1375/1375)
BioShock Infinite (1000/1000)

Last edited by Regarded Llama; 12-03-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Regarded Llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #26
Led Head TLC

Led Head TLC's Gamercard
"Can you please specify where "Horogath" is? I looked it up online but could not find anything on it. Maybe misspelled?"

I'm pretty sure he means "Hrothgar," the place with the priests. that's just my guess but it's probably worth a try
Led Head TLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:51 AM   #27
tweak4ever

Send a message via AIM to tweak4ever Send a message via Skype™ to tweak4ever

tweak4ever's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
thanks, fav'd

tweak4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:31 AM   #28
TheSletchman

TheSletchman's Gamercard
Surprised no one mentioned it, but for Lockpicking - join the thieves guild. They have a "training room" which contains a locked chest of each level that automatically relock after a short period - pick each one (or just the lowers if you have low skill / aren't good with the minigame).
TheSletchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #29
koopakiller64

Stewtendo's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   1,000 Posts   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSletchman View Post
Surprised no one mentioned it, but for Lockpicking - join the thieves guild. They have a "training room" which contains a locked chest of each level that automatically relock after a short period - pick each one (or just the lowers if you have low skill / aren't good with the minigame).
If that's true then I suppose a boosting method is to buy a bunch of lockpicks (not sure if anyone close by sells them) and keep breaking them on the Master locked chest. I'm sure holding down a direction on the RS will constantly break the pick and reward you with a decent sum of XP.

I have yet to try this since I haven't joined the Thieves Guild yet.

Thanks to Gackt
koopakiller64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #30
Lord of Fate

Liquid N2's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
ALTERATION
For this, I went to Solitude (where there are loads of people) and used Detect Life. You don't have to detect enemies, and if you go just past the shops from the entrance, you can detect maybe 50 people or so at once. The spell levels faster if you are detecting more at once and this is what I used to get to at least level 50 to buy Telekinesis, as suggested in this thread. Either way works pretty quickly but this one was easier for me since Telekinesis uses so much Magicka.