PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Batman: Arkham City
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
JimCant

JimCant's Gamercard
Christian Bale Voice

Anyone else think that Arkham City was missing the creepy deep raspy Batman voice that Christian Bale does?

I totally thought it was coming when he would interrogate Riddler's goons to get the Riddler Maps..

WHERE ARE THEY???? (rewatch the first Christopher Nolan Batman if you dont know what I'm talking about)
JimCant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
crazy W01f 816

crazy W01F 816's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   Submit - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
No. Christian Bale has the worst voice in Batman history.

/thread

crazy W01f 816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:36 AM   #3
CIF

BloodngunsMrphy's Gamercard
The thing that nobody mentions is how he's actually changing his voice. Rachel only realizes who he is after repeating what she said back to her. In almost every other superhero movie, we're supposed to accept:
- Covering a couple of inches around your eyes makes your facial structure unrecognizable to people.
- Dear friends and acquaintances cannot recognize a certain person's voice for story's sake.

It's kind of annoying to listen to what sounds like an ex chain-smoker, but how else do you alter your voice?

More OT: I think the voice for Batman is perfectly fine. The only voice I get annoyed with is Harley.

Last edited by CIF; 02-02-2012 at 07:10 AM.
CIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
JimCant

JimCant's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIF View Post
The thing that nobody mentions is how he's actually changing his voice. Rachel only realizes who he is after repeating what she said back to her. In almost every other superhero movie, we're supposed to accept:
- Covering a couple of inches around your eyes makes your facial structure unrecognizable to people.
- Dear friends and acquaintances cannot recognize a certain person's voice for story's sake.

It's kind of annoying to listen to what sounds like an ex chain-smoker, but how else do you alter your voice?

More OT: I think the voice for Batman is perfectly fine. The only voice I get annoyed with is Harley.
Yea I know what you are saying. I mean it is plausible and at least a lot better than most of the superheros alter egos. Tobey Maguire in Spiderman didn't even try and have a different voice.

I was just saying it sounds weird. Not that there wasn't a reason he was doing it.

Just weird...there is a funny thing on youtube making fun of it with a fake kinda fat batman trying out different voices until he found the 'one'. The 'one' was after he lost his voice and it sounded like crap haha
Old 02-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
PhantomNemesis

firewhisper's Gamercard
Kevin Conroy is by far the best voice actor for Batman, watch the 90's animated series which Rocksteady has taken a fair amount of inspiration from for Arkham City (the Noir, trilby hats etc. in the intro). Conroy was also the first to change his voice for Bruce Wayne and Batman, only in a less noticeable fashion.

Also, Tara Strong voices Harley Quinn in this one, although before it was the same voice actress from the animated series (name escapes me). In fact, many of the major characters have been voiced by the same people from the series.

PhantomNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
Preykousis

Preykousis's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomNemesis View Post
Kevin Conroy is by far the best voice actor for Batman, watch the 90's animated series which Rocksteady has taken a fair amount of inspiration from for Arkham City (the Noir, trilby hats etc. in the intro). Conroy was also the first to change his voice for Bruce Wayne and Batman, only in a less noticeable fashion.

Also, Tara Strong voices Harley Quinn in this one, although before it was the same voice actress from the animated series (name escapes me). In fact, many of the major characters have been voiced by the same people from the series.
+1

The VA's from the 90's are the best by far in my opinion. Bale is alright as Batman but I prefer Conroy's the most. Bale is too dramatic.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II - All Intel Locations Guide
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...36#post5395636
Preykousis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
DOOKH8R

DOOKH8R's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Bronze   Staff Club - Minty   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 4   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomNemesis View Post

Absolute truth as to the greatness of Kevin Conroy.

Arleen Sorkin originally voiced Harley Quinn.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:07 AM   #8
Dz06lt

DZ06LT's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts
it wouldnt matter to me either way honestly, if they went with baleout id be fine with it
Old 02-03-2012, 05:17 AM   #9
LUCKYMEWHEEEE

Send a message via AIM to LUCKYMEWHEEEE

lucky me wheeee's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOKH8R View Post
Absolute truth as to the greatness of Kevin Conroy.

Arleen Sorkin originally voiced Harley Quinn.
yea i thought this was a joke thread or something, kevin is amazing, watched the cartoon as a kid, i even play dc online, and he is in that as well, its not even close, hell like someone else said rocksteady picked this guy up, 20 years after the cartoon ended { batman the animated series} if that isnt credibility i dont know what is, frankly all of the voice acting is superior in both of the arkham games
LUCKYMEWHEEEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
Rivercurse

Send a message via Skype™ to Rivercurse

Rivercurse's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy W01f 816 View Post
No. Christian Bale has the worst voice in Batman history.

/thread
Ah, that's what I came in here to say. Thanks for saving me the trouble.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
Axel 360

axelquatripolar's Gamercard
Agree on the first comment. Christina Bale is by far the worst batman voice in history, it just fake and mess up with the concept. The idea is that Bruce Wayne is the real mask and Batman the real person, heīs not modulating his voice as Batman but as Wayne, reaching higher tones to make the voice sound less deep and serious. Bale destroy that, Wayne attitude was exactly as serious as Batman, and then he use that creepy low tone voice that makes him look like a fool, you can actually hear the long pauses he has to make in the middle of a sentence to take air, because no one has a stupid voice like that. If Nolan tough that that was the way to make the voice sound badass he was totally wrong, making a fool of himself. Batman would NEVER use a growling hardly to understand voice that fits more in a cartoon that in real life, which was Nolanīs primary focus on his approach to the Batman Mythos, making it more realistic. Failing ironically in something as stupid as a voice.

Iīm sorry but those who really think that Bale is the best Batman had a serious problem to understand the character and lots of the concepts that makes him such a great character. Or are just kids that take their first approach to Batman with Nolanīs reinterpretation, which is completely overrated by people who never read comics.

Besides, this game takes place in a universe that seems to take the Batman The Animated Series as primary source of info and is written by one of the leader writers of Batman: TAS.

And youīre all wrong about something: The guy that invented the "changing voices" deal that stick to the character even on this days is Michael Keaton, it wasnīt even a Tim Burton idea, just something Keaton used on the character. People forget about Keaton on this days, but heīs the one that gave Batman the looks and sounds we are familiar on this days, the movie was so successful that only then the Animated Series kick in, the new Batman outfit (black, no gray+blue), that changing voices thing and lots and lots of things.

PD: Although I agree that Conroy is the best and the most recognizable of all. Most of the Animated Series are the true voices I hear when thinking about most of the characters, such a fine work back then and still on this days.
Axel 360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #12
TheWebhead

HMSSAssassin's Gamercard
Personally, I gotta' agree with the original thread poster (JimCant). You're right JimCant.. The game IS missing the creepy, deep raspy Batman voice that Christian Bale does.. And not just through the interrogation sequences. To be honest, either Kevin Conroy fucked up or Rocksteady fucked up. Both Bruce Wayne & Batman's in-game voice sound exactly the same. There is actually, no difference whatsoever, which to my mind.. SUCKS!

Even in the Animated Series with Bruce Wayne and Batman's voice, there was a clear difference in tone and attitude. There is no difference in either of the Arkham games and furthermore, I whole heartedly disagree with people who say that Christian Bale's Batman voice is the worst in history. I'd say he IS THE BEST, alongside Michael Keaton. To be fair, Kevin Conroy is over-rated and too many people out there "kiss his ass".

There's a lot that RockSteady have really fucked up on with this game. There's too many to list, but for a start all the frickin' Batsuits are grey! There's no black Batsuits at all, apart from the Batman Beyond skin. Which doesn't count. But what I don't understand is, if RockSteady have made these Arkham games based off of the Animated Series, why don't they just make the whole frickin' game in the style of the "Animated Series Batman" skin?! I mean seriously. Personally though, I'm just pleased I've finished the game, cos' now I'm done with it, I can go back to playing "Batman Begins". Which in many ways is better than the Arkham games. I'm just not into the whole Animated Series/Comic style Batman (And I watched the Animated Series back in the 90's and I loved it). I'm not hating on the game, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
TheWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #13
JimCant

JimCant's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWebhead View Post
Personally, I gotta' agree with the original thread poster (JimCant). You're right JimCant.. The game IS missing the creepy, deep raspy Batman voice that Christian Bale does.. And not just through the interrogation sequences. To be honest, either Kevin Conroy fucked up or Rocksteady fucked up. Both Bruce Wayne & Batman's in-game voice sound exactly the same. There is actually, no difference whatsoever, which to my mind.. SUCKS!

Even in the Animated Series with Bruce Wayne and Batman's voice, there was a clear difference in tone and attitude. There is no difference in either of the Arkham games and furthermore, I whole heartedly disagree with people who say that Christian Bale's Batman voice is the worst in history. I'd say he IS THE BEST, alongside Michael Keaton. To be fair, Kevin Conroy is over-rated and too many people out there "kiss his ass".

There's a lot that RockSteady have really fucked up on with this game. There's too many to list, but for a start all the frickin' Batsuits are grey! There's no black Batsuits at all, apart from the Batman Beyond skin. Which doesn't count. But what I don't understand is, if RockSteady have made these Arkham games based off of the Animated Series, why don't they just make the whole frickin' game in the style of the "Animated Series Batman" skin?! I mean seriously. Personally though, I'm just pleased I've finished the game, cos' now I'm done with it, I can go back to playing "Batman Begins". Which in many ways is better than the Arkham games. I'm just not into the whole Animated Series/Comic style Batman (And I watched the Animated Series back in the 90's and I loved it). I'm not hating on the game, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
What batman beyond game are you talking about?

And I didnt' say I wanted or liked Christian Bale's voice, I was just saying I was sort of expecting something similar in the game.

I understand why he changes his voice and it is funny how someone mentioned that he has to take a long pause in between sentences to catch his breath.

I loved the animated series. That is one of the best batman's out there....Keaton is def underrated as batman.

You know who is not overrated? George Clooney...god that movie was embarrasing.... (but i cant seem to not watch it when it shows up on tv. Too many bad puns!!)
Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #14
SpinelesS

Mr SpinelesS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWebhead View Post
Personally, I gotta' agree with the original thread poster (JimCant). You're right JimCant.. The game IS missing the creepy, deep raspy Batman voice that Christian Bale does.. And not just through the interrogation sequences. To be honest, either Kevin Conroy fucked up or Rocksteady fucked up. Both Bruce Wayne & Batman's in-game voice sound exactly the same. There is actually, no difference whatsoever.
Bruce Wayne's voice at the start of the game sounded different from Batman's if you ask me...

I agree with a lot of people here that Christian Bale's voice would have sucked (I would have chosen even Diedrich Bader over Christian Bale)

SpinelesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #15
TheWebhead

HMSSAssassin's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCant View Post
What batman beyond game are you talking about?

And I didnt' say I wanted or liked Christian Bale's voice, I was just saying I was sort of expecting something similar in the game.

I understand why he changes his voice and it is funny how someone mentioned that he has to take a long pause in between sentences to catch his breath.

I loved the animated series. That is one of the best batman's out there....Keaton is def underrated as batman.

You know who is not overrated? George Clooney...god that movie was embarrasing.... (but i cant seem to not watch it when it shows up on tv. Too many bad puns!!)
I'm not talking about any Batman Beyond game. I'm talking about the Batman Beyond skin that's DLC in Arkham City, it's pretty piss poor that it's the only black suit in the game, considering. And I know exactly what you meant by "something like" Christian Bale's voice. I was pretty disappointed with the lack of effort put into Batman's voice in the game overall. Everyone's gonna' have their own opinion and that's fine because everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Although I do admit that Christian Bale's voice would have been "out of place" in this game, I'd have still preferred to hear Batman sound more intimidating. I've played through the game 3 times and for me, he didn't sound nearly intimidating enough on all 3 playthroughs. Which is what Batman is all about; Scare tactics and fear. I certainly didn't half feel that with Kevin Conroy's voice acting or RockSteady's dummy instructions to him on how to "bring the character to life".

And @SpinelesS You're saying Bruce Wayne's voice sounded different at the start of the game than Batman's game did? Either you've got more advanced hearing than I have or you're playing a different version of Arkham City than the rest of us. Because to be completely honest, I couldn't tell the difference between Bruce Wayne and Batman's voice at all. Batman's voice sounded nothing like he did/does in the animated series. Where in this game, is the deeper, raspier voice Kevin Conroy did in the animated series?! Nowhere, cos' it's non-buckin' existant that's why.
TheWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #16
JimCant

JimCant's Gamercard
Yea my bad I didn't read your Batman Beyond sentence correctly. I didn't buy any of the DLC except for Catwoman so I didn't play as that Batman skin but that does seem pretty sweet though.

I was fine with Batman's voice when he was narrating and when he was talking with Oracle but like you had said he just needed to sound more intimidating.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #17
Axel 360

axelquatripolar's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCant View Post
I was fine with Batman's voice when he was narrating and when he was talking with Oracle but like you had said he just needed to sound more intimidating.
Yeah, because a man dressed as a Bat that use the shadows in his advance to take you down on one hit, that can take down guys like Bane for breakfast and do all of that and more without any superpowers is no intimidating without a creepy voice that comes from hell. Also, he needs spikes all over his costume, demonic eyes, claws, sharped fangs and the size of a mountain.

[Ironic Teenager Mode - Off ]

Men, you just said a couple post ago that you dinīt want Christian Bale voice neither. Now Iīm confused as hell. Which side are you? Or are just playing the "friendly with every opinion" card?

TheWebhead: Bruce Wayne voice sounded different, SpinelesS does not have an advanced hearing, itīs just that yours seems to be awful.
Axel 360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #18
Xerofox
were given today

Send a message via Skype™ to Xerofox

Xerofox's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Artist of the Month   Staff Club - Xerofox   SOTF Winner   Staff - Graphics Team   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Just had to do this

Old 02-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #19
JimCant

JimCant's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerofox View Post
Just had to do this
Haha thank you! This is what I was talking about in an earlier post!

So funny
Old 02-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #20
Skillet

Send a message via MSN to Skillet

Skillet x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   x360a Representer   Staff Club - Skillet   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   A+ Thread Award   Road Map - Bronze   Word of Mouth   SOTF Runner Up   SOTF Winner   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
You know, I'm probably one of the few people who liked Michal Keaton as Batman more than any of the others.

Christian Bale is just terrible...

Read them.... apply them.

Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #21
crazy W01f 816

crazy W01F 816's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   Submit - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet View Post
You know, I'm probably one of the few people who liked Michal Keaton as Batman more than any of the others.

Christian Bale is just terrible...
Anybody who picks Bale over Keaton is nuts. Keaton is the best live-action batman.

crazy W01f 816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:33 AM   #22
colt415

colt415's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   XBA Promoter   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
No disrespect to Bale, but he's not even the best actor to play Batman that will have to go to Michael Keaton. Kevin Conroy, is by far the best voice over to play Batman.

Credit Goes To Xerofox For The Great Sig

Last edited by colt415; 02-21-2012 at 04:52 AM.
colt415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #23
purpleinsect

MissRiddlez's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
I'm sure there are many other voices one can make. That sound Bale makes and the actor himself are the only things I don't like about the new Batman movies. At least change the voice, I can live with the repulsive actor!
purpleinsect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #24
JimCant

JimCant's Gamercard
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/kevi...-all-his-fault

This is a pretty good interview from Kevin Conroy explaining how he feels about Bales voice...

pretty funny but does bring a good point as to how did Nolan let this happen? Maybe he didnt realize how ridiculous it sounded after the 1st movie but then it was too late to not include that in the rest...

His voice just makes me think of Chris Farley in SNL, "Lay off me, IM STARVING!!"

Old 04-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #25
Sesshomaru697

Sesshomaru697's Gamercard
I love Batman's voice in this game! Every voice actor is superb. Wouldn't change anything.
Sesshomaru697 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #26
FrozenRaptorz
Banned User

FrozenRaptorz's Gamercard
I'm pretty pleased with the voice acting in the game actually more than the movies. He just always seems to talk slow in the movies like he is trying too hard.
FrozenRaptorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:05 AM   #27
InsaneKane87

InSAn3 KAn3's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Christian did great in Batman Begins, in The Dark Knight I guess his new suit was too tight and was choking him.. somewhere obviously, in The Dark Knight Rises it was worse. The way Christian did it almost made Batman sound like he was always out of breath. In the scene at the end with the Joker where Batman goes "This city... just showed you... that it's full... of people... ready... to believe in good." there were so many pauses and the voice just didn't fit. I'm sure I didn't put the pauses exactly where they should go, but you get the idea.

Kevin did it perfectly, Christian played a great Batman, but besides the voice which was a bad choice. Some people said they couldn't understand him, I could, but what I didn't care for was how annoying the voice was at times. I don't remember any of the other actors (Adam West, Michael Keaton and a few others I care less to remember ) changing their voice, so why Christian decided too was a terrible choice.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #28
Kyoujin

kyoujiin's Gamercard
This game would have been horrible if Christian Bale did the voice. Not that I disliked the movies, I definitely enjoyed them but.. just no.

Kevin Conroy will always be Batman to me. He's always done a great job as the character, and hearing others do the voice (at least in animation/games) is just.. awkward.

Same with Mark Hamill. No one can beat his amazing, iconic portrayal of the character.

(And yes, Heath Ledger did an amazing job in his own portrayal, but I'd prefer it to stay where it is, y'know? I just wouldn't enjoy it as much if that version of the character was included in the games/animations, at least most likely not. But who knows.)

(Haven't updated my completion list in awhile, will do so soon!)

100% Retail: Alone in the Dark, Avatar, Call of Duty 4, CSI: Hard Evidence, Fallout 3 (1200), Halo 3 (1475), Left 4 Dead, Lost: Via Domus, NFS: Most Wanted, Quantum of Solace, Resident Evil 5, Sonic's UGC, Test Drive: Unlimited

100% Arcade: Duke Nukem 3D, Penny Arcade Episode 1, Penny Arcade Episode 2, Shadow Assault/Tenchu, The Maw

Kyoujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #29
Elite Orion

Elite Orion's Gamercard
i like this batmans voice. i think its the same guy that did the animated series that i grew up on
Elite Orion is offline   Reply With Quote