PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Rayman Origins
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
fredsanford

Love/Hate this game

I love this game. The colors, mechanics, sounds, etc. I hate that I have to collect a certain number to move on. I never liked collecting in games. I also play next to my sons room so I have to keep the volume very low, so I can't really hear the little guys screaming/crying.. I just wanted a fun play through platformer.. not an easter egg hunt
fredsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
melwing17

Melwing's Gamercard
I sort of agree, as I have rented the game and have a limited time- I really love it, but I fear I won't finish.

But- I think I actually prefer it this way. The game reminds me sooo much of classic 16-bit platformers. It really has a Donkey Kong Country feel to it. I absolutely love this game. The secret-area-completionist stuff in those games is duplicated perfectly in Origins.
[SIZE=1]Arcade 100%: Golf: Tee It Up!, 3D Ultra MiniGolf Adventures, Galaga, Dash of Destruction, Uno, Carcassonne, Sealife Safari (#1 on overall leaderboards for most levels), // Retail 100%: Fable II, NBA 2k6, Avatar
melwing17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
MothMan

xx mothman xx's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by melwing17 View Post
But- I think I actually prefer it this way. The game reminds me sooo much of classic 16-bit platformers. It really has a Donkey Kong Country feel to it. I absolutely love this game. The secret-area-completionist stuff in those games is duplicated perfectly in Origins.
Agreed. I like that this game doesn't hold your hand as much as most modern games do. Reminds me of how hard a lot of games were during my childhood.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
TheMarkOfPower

TheMarkOfPower's Gamercard
loving it so far, very nice looking, feels great to play, none of the annoying jump through hoops crap that all other modern platformers seem to do these days, great achievemnts and collectibles. the only reason someone could not appreciate this game for what it is may have something to do with the fact that it is actually quite challenging, especially the speed runs.
TheMarkOfPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
yummymummy

yummymummy8810's Gamercard
speed runs are doing my head in... I really cant get the trophies!!!help
Rayman Origins
yummymummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
DecadentBeaver

DecadentBeaver's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Its a love/hate relationship for me with Rayman. Love how it looks and plays, just like any platformer should. Hate it for howw blookdy hard it can be. I picked it up new for Ģ17 in sales after xmas, and have enjoyed playing it. Gettin the skull teeth takes the word challenging to whole new levels for me.

Looking for people to join me in an epic Minecraft build once again. Its in creative, so if you are interested, message me for details.
DecadentBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Ravenskull666

ravenskull666's Gamercard
Yup, love it too! Teeth levels defo get harder which was nice (but frustrating too) but the thing I hate is I'm always like 2 or 3 coins away from getting 350 medal!
Ravenskull666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
Ravenous IE

Ravenous IE's Gamercard
Liking this game alot, know exactly what you mean about being 2-3 off the 350 medal > Thing I figured help is always start a level with a heart, as picking up extra one's gives you another 5 points each time
Ravenous IE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:32 AM   #9
Behonkiss

behonkiss's Gamercard
Thumbs up

This was my favorite game of 2011, no exaggeration. Everything about it (The visual designs, control and level layouts, scoring and reward system) just appeals to me. It's a shame that we'll probably never see another Rayman game after this flopped in terms of sales, but what a way to go out.
Behonkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:56 AM   #10
Axel 360

axelquatripolar's Gamercard
Iīm loving it too. The game plays smooth and thatīs something I love, specially because when you die you know itīs your fault, so it push you to try again and again till you get better, itīs the same gameplay I loved about Super Meat Boy and Splosion Man, and visually this game is more powerful (also on the sound department, that soundtrack is just awesome).

I wish the game was longer though, Iīm still some speed trophies and the Living Dead Tour thing away from 100%, but if I had just go for finishing main story that would have been a problem, you can easily finish in one day, not a good thing for a retail game- And, if anything else to complain, the story is just inexistent, which may work in a 80īs retro-fan way but sill fells cheap when you end (I repeat, I havenīt go to the living dead part, so maybe Iīm losing still the real ending or something like that).

Except for those two things, the game is just awesome, I was expecting a good game, I get an even better one. To me this is one of the best of 2011 just for that, one of the few games that actually gave me more fun than I expected from the initial trailer. Something the rest of the games of this past year hadnīt even get close to do.
Axel 360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:07 AM   #11
lethal.b

eG I LETHAL's Gamercard
Loved the game. The collecting side of it wasn't too bad as you diddnt really ahve to go searching.

Most annoying thing about the game is the music. When doing time trials and you keep failing, the song for the level just restarts and they are only like 4 second long songs that just repeat constantly. They also diddnt include any audio options in the game which was rather disappointing
Old 01-27-2012, 02:30 AM   #12
HugTheBear

FuzzyDonkeyLegs's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredsanford View Post
I love this game. The colors, mechanics, sounds, etc. I hate that I have to collect a certain number to move on. I never liked collecting in games. I also play next to my sons room so I have to keep the volume very low, so I can't really hear the little guys screaming/crying.. I just wanted a fun play through platformer.. not an easter egg hunt

Get a headset, even the cheapest Turtle Beach set works good. You can mute the TV and control the volume on your headset. I think the cheapest Turtle Beaches are like 30 bucks at Target. Just a suggestion to fix your problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheuh2
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
HugTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #13
xZarfotAcheivements

Send a message via Skype™ to xZarfotAcheivements

A Baked Cheddar's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarkOfPower View Post
the only reason someone could not appreciate this game for what it is may have something to do with the fact that it is actually quite challenging, especially the speed runs.
Tell me about it ha. Great feeling of achievement when you finally hit the time though! Some really hard ones but i love hunting for achievements like this, makes them worth while.

A Baked Cheddar

CLAN

FKOF - Fat Kids On Fire
xZarfotAcheivements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #14
Ipathvvv

ipathvvv's Gamercard
It's awesome while playing co op. I want to get all achievements but its starting to get boring. Just happy I didn't pay 59.99 for it.
Ipathvvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #15
Rosalie

RosalieYoshi's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by xZarfotAcheivements View Post
Tell me about it ha. Great feeling of achievement when you finally hit the time though! Some really hard ones but i love hunting for achievements like this, makes them worth while.
This really reminds me of the old rayman games. Frustrating yet fun. Totally love this game. I like the fact that you can't get these achievements through a guide but only with skill
Rosalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #16
NinjaPrincess

NinjaPrincess90's Gamercard
I'm loving the game. The achievements are brilliant and playing a nice old school side scrolling Rayman game is wonderful.

The only thing that bugs me is that only player one can receive the achievements, it's much more fun to play multi-player but that's pretty difficult when there are two achievement hunters in the house.

Also, while I was playing with my eight year old nephew, we had just unlocked the first Nymph when he turned to me and said 'O.O Aunty.... she's half naked!'. Which is right, these Nymphs need some more self respect!

8/10 mostly for nostalgia
NinjaPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #17
FantasticZro

FantasticZro's Gamercard
I love the game.. i loved the old rayman games on ps1 also... just the treasure catching levels are sometimes little bit hard.... but its one of the best games in 2011... thank you ubisoft.
FantasticZro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #18
BipolarGlenn

BipolarGlenn's Gamercard
Love the game. Great graphics, great gameplay & a real challenge like old platform games used to be. Hats off Ubisoft!
BipolarGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #19
DaveBodom

dave bodom's Gamercard
Saw a trailer for it in the shop when i bought it, was such a good purchase.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #20
danihendrixx

danihendrixx's Gamercard
I love this game. I completed it a few months ago, and i liked every single part of the game
danihendrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #21
u3sr

u3sr's Gamercard
Yeah game is pure fun, but i can see it will be frustrating if i ever go for all achievements

Only paid Ģ9 for it!!
u3sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #22
ryan2101

Behemoth2101's Gamercard
Recently bought the Collector's Edition for cheap, really enjoying it. Haven't played a platformer since last gen, this certainly filled the void. Now I'm anticipating the sequel, those music levels look fantastic.
ryan2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #23
Harry98

HP98's Gamercard
As much as I enjoyed this game, I can't deny that I was pleased to complete it. Especially after those last few skull teeth.
Harry98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #24
Sampson

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
I love this game a lot. There was a glitch with the fourth skull tooth that was an absolute pain to get though.

"Everyone is entitled to their own sorrow, for the
heart has no metrics or form of measure. And all of
it... irreplaceable."

Thanks to Rajeanero for the excellent signature!
Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #25
Fragarach Luin

Jacob Ulysses's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   Community Gaming - Bronze   Staff Club - DEG23   Staff Club - DeekBoy
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Until I transfer the licenses onto our new Xbox 360, my wife can only play Rayman Origins on my profile. So we're tag-teaming the achievements. I get the time trials and skull teeth, and she gets everything else. And we're having a blast. the music is fun, the characters are adorable, and the game just looks terrific. I will say that it suffers from the trademark Ubisoft floaty controls (right, Assassin's Creed, Beyond Good and Evil, From Dust, etc.?), but it is great fun to play with friends and family. Keeping this one on the harddrive for when the nieces and nephews come over.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #26
Taiyz

Taiyz's Gamercard
I definitely have mixed feelings about Origins, but none about Legends.

I've noticed a recent trend in platforming games. Whether it's Assassin's Creed (shush, it counts) or Doritos Crash Course or Rayman or Sonic Lost World, all these games use a right-trigger-to-sprint/parkour mechanic, and it appears to have become standard. I think all these games have had great control schemes and it's nice to see some platforming return to the industry considering the general lack of platformers outside of Nintendo's library during this generation.

The problem I have with Origins, is that despite the great ideas and presentation, the level design (I'm referring to the geometry, not the art) and mechanics do not go hand-in-hand. Instead they seem to conflict at every step of the way, it seems at points that Ubisoft wanted to create another Super Meat Boy (which makes sense given that they published Cloudberry Kingdom) but the speed and fluidity isn't there. I realize that some of the past Rayman games have been considered "old-school hard" but I find that some of the challenges in Origins are just not built for the pace and physics of the game.

Legends fixes all of these problems completely, and the mechanics are fine-tuned to perfection. If only Origins controlled like this, the level designs wouldn't have been so problematic. Legends also has more of a focus on exploration than breakneck speed and precision platforming (probably because they separated time attack stuff into the remixed Invasion levels,) and everything feels less floaty and much tighter. Honestly, to an extent, Legends is sometimes too easy because of the easier levels in addition to improved gameplay, I hope that we get another with more challenge now that the mechanics are such a joy to play with. The improvements to the visuals and the new kinds of stages (those musical stages, hell yeah!) are just the icing on the cake. Murphy's implementation I could live without, but I actually think that he adds something interesting to the game...It's amusing that he's a holdover from the game's original plan for Wii U exclusivity but he actually adds more to the other versions of the game (the Wii U and Vita versions force you to control Murphy only while an AI Sir Globrax navigates the stage for you.)

It's a shame that I had such a negative reaction to Origins' demo, I actually put off playing Legends' demo for a long time and tried it on a whim recently and decided that I needed these games.

Last edited by Taiyz; 01-22-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Taiyz is offline   Reply With Quote