Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Dark Souls
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-28-2012, 01:21 AM   #1
XperimntNterror

XperimntNterror's Gamercard
i hate Gwyn

seriously....

it only took me 3 attempts to take down ornstein and smough and 2 attempts to take down the 4 kings....

about a dozen attempts later, i still haven't beaten this piece of crap... he's cheap.

i've been using the technique to parry/riposte (since that seems to be about the only way to even get any damage in on him) and every single time i get his health down to where one more would take him out, he starts doing nothing but spamming and endless barrage of two-handed attacks that rape my stamina bar to no end (not to mention that ridiculously over-powered kick).

this guy is seriously pissing me off and i've had it with running that gauntlet and having to slaughter those black knights over and over and over...

i'm ready to jump into the screen and shove that flaming sword with impossible reach down his throat!!

Thanks to V1ZIONZxBLOOD for the really cool sig!
XperimntNterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:14 AM   #2
BloodGodAlucard

BloodGodAlucard's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
A great tip for this guy is to use a fire weapon. I'm not being sarcastic. As ironic as it is, Gwyn is weak to fire weapons. From the guides I've watched, a powerful fire weapon combined with parry/ripostes is the easiest way to kill him. I hope this helps you. I can't wait to play this game again. I'm just waiting for the DLC to come out next month before I start it.

Completed: 74 Retail Games and 7 Arcade Games

Proudest Completion to Date: Dark Souls 1000/1000 on Xbox 360 and 1000/1000 on PC
BloodGodAlucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:56 AM   #3
XperimntNterror

well, i've been using a chaos weapon (chaos zweihander +5) and the damage output has been fantastic even without 10 consumed humanities... that is, when i can actually get a hit in.

I keep waiting for the one-handed slash down (to block it) and then upward slash (to parry), but, for some reason, he hardly ever does it anymore. Most of the time he just spams to handed slashes and the animation for that is almost identical to when he is going to do the one-handed, so, often, i get duped into thinking i'll get the parry, but instead get creamed.... . it's really disheartening.

the first few times i tried, i got him down to just a sliver of his health using the parry/riposte, so i figured i'd get him in the next time or two... 20 attempts later and he rarely gives me the opportunity. i'm running for dear life or being creamed before I can really get any damage in on him.

I even tried summoning (from the lord vessel and the fog door), but no one took; i didn't even get invaded while waiting (had heard this area was a PvP hotspot like Anor Londo).

Oh well, i'm gonna give it a rest for tonight... i probably need a breather from all the ass-handings. I really wanted to get into NG+, but now this has me questioning if I'm even ready for it... :/. None of the other bosses even came close to giving me this much trouble.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:20 AM   #4
XperimntNterror

Oh. My. God.

He's dead.

I used Iron Flesh (immediately) and Great Combustioned him till I ran out. Then quickly switched to Quelaag's Furysword and mashed RB relentlessly... and he died.

All I can say is, WTF'nF?

Old 09-28-2012, 04:33 AM   #5
Mother Beef

Mother Beef's Gamercard
I personally also hate Gwyn, but thats only when I try to actually fight him as if he is any other boss (cautious, time, trying to block and get shots in) instead now I just stand there with the Black Knights Shield +5 (fire dmg reduction) and the Hornets Ring on and parry and riposte all day.

Seriously it completely makes the fight ridiculously easy, usually I block the first strike and as he goes for the 1,2,3 combo I get him on the 2nd or 3rd. He will do the grab every so often, just do a single backstep/roll if he does grab you it often isnt enough to kill you so just wait till you riposte him one more time before healing (he takes awhile to get up). Boom bang, easy.

Mother Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:28 AM   #6
XperimntNterror

well, i think i need more practice with the parry/riposte. until this fight, i didn't make any real effort at employing it... which makes it all the more disappointing that a cheap tactic of standing there tanking him and spamming a pyromancy actually beat him; it was really just a last ditch effort. oh well, a win is a win, i guess

but, NG+ has made up for it. Decided to run through the Asylum and get to Firelink at least before calling it a night. I got up to the point in the Asylum where you make the drop attack onto the demon boss, whipped out the chaos zweihander +5 (no humanity) and dropped him with that first hit...

it's already looking up... for now!

Old 09-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #7
Mother Beef

Mother Beef's Gamercard
I pretty much never parry/riposte except for Gwyn haha, its the one time I feel its completely worth it as he is so annoying otherwise, i suggest you look into it for when you face him in NG+ as he can only get worst!

But yes, NG+ will make you feel like an absolute boss for so many of the battles, aside from Smough and Orenstein and The Four Kings, its pretty much a rape fest if you have upgraded all your stuff.

Just started a 'SL1 Run', missing how easy bosses could be hahaha.

Mother Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
KriugerisLT

Kr1ug3ris's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I tried killing him without parries, but he's just impossible. His attacks are so damn fast and damaging, that you have barely any windows of opportunity to counter-attack. Also his attacks have crazy reach. The only time when he's vulnerable is when he uses the grab move. Dodge to the side, and slash a few hits on him. I didn't have enough patience to do this, so grabbed +15 Sunlight Shield (in memory of the late Solaire). And nailed his ass with a Chaos +5 washing pole. Took me ~9-10 ripostes, but it did the job. This was on NG++++, so maybe on the first playthrough he's a little bit less ferocious.

I also heard, that on the PC version he's a lot easier. Looks like the console players got to play the harder version of the game ;D
Old 09-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
o0ArA0o

o0ArA0o's Gamercard
Did him without a single parry ...

Blocked his first slash with Blackknight shield - then directly to the left behind some rubble/stones. 9 from 10 attempts he is not able to pass it and has to walk around, I circled with him and spammed homing chrystal soulmass and chaos fireballs. He was once able to jump over it with a slash, but that was easy to block. Fire does heavy damage as pointed out before and if your intelli is >50 soulmass hurts him badly, too.

Parry is also a nice and simple way, but for those who have problems with them try the almighty stone trick, it works
o0ArA0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
Mr Jinxed

mr jinxed's Gamercard
Never had a problem with him on my spear wielding guy. Just parry/riposte all day long. Took him down first try on both occasions (newgame+), but ran into a fair bit of trouble on my sorcerer. He kept dodging my spells the cheeky bastard. Think it took me like 5 tries before he finally went down. Most of that was pretty much me being out of spells because I was impatient. Once I got his dodging rhythm down it was a cakewalk.

Good times.
Mr Jinxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #11
SuNuS

SuNuS's Gamercard
Congrats on finishing Dark Souls Xper!

As for Gwyn....He is the main reason I made it a point to get good at the parry/riposte mechanic. He's fast as hell and eats through stamina like nothing else in the game. And good luck ever trying to get an estus flask in! You can be on the other side of the arena and he will be in your face before the drink animation finishes. Usually ending up with less hp that you had before you tried to use a flask. HAH!

My strategy for him is:
-Balder Side Sword +15
-Power Within
-Crystal Magic Weapon
-Hornet Ring
-3 parry/riposte and he's dead!

I'm glad you finished it and hope that you will play it again....and again and again.
SuNuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:03 AM   #12
XperimntNterror

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuNuS View Post
Congrats on finishing Dark Souls Xper!

As for Gwyn....He is the main reason I made it a point to get good at the parry/riposte mechanic. He's fast as hell and eats through stamina like nothing else in the game. And good luck ever trying to get an estus flask in! You can be on the other side of the arena and he will be in your face before the drink animation finishes. Usually ending up with less hp that you had before you tried to use a flask. HAH!

My strategy for him is:
-Balder Side Sword +15
-Power Within
-Crystal Magic Weapon
-Hornet Ring
-3 parry/riposte and he's dead!

I'm glad you finished it and hope that you will play it again....and again and again.

Thanks! I'm already back to The Depths in NG+, so no worries about playing again there! In fact, my copy of Borderlands 2 is laying dormant because of this game (mostly because once I start playing that, I'll be just as hooked and there is no way I can play two games like these at the exact same time )

I was a bit disappointed that I kinda cheesed my way to victory against Gwyn; didn't feel as victorious or awesome once it was all said and done. Hopefully, I'll get to make the NG+ victory one for the books.

I keep reading older forums, the wikis, old reviews, etc. for this game and there are just so many people that don't get the genius of this game. Everything seen as a "flaw" in design, I see as being intentional. Someone reviewing the game said it would have been better if they had given the player more direction for where to go next, but I completely disagree. The whole experience is one of trial and error, give and take, reward and punishment; that's a theme that is pervasive through almost every single aspect of the game (including the whole co-op/invasion mechanic). And, even when you think you've got the game by the ears, it reminds you that it can still wipe the floor with your ass! So yeah... I will be playing this game for years to come. It has easily become one of my top 5 favorites of all time (right up there with Super Metroid, my #1, and I still play it to completion at least 3 or 4 times a year; came out in 1994 )

P.S., though.... Capra is STILL a bitch.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #13
SuNuS

SuNuS's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by XperimntNterror View Post
Thanks! I'm already back to The Depths in NG+, so no worries about playing again there! In fact, my copy of Borderlands 2 is laying dormant because of this game (mostly because once I start playing that, I'll be just as hooked and there is no way I can play two games like these at the exact same time )

I was a bit disappointed that I kinda cheesed my way to victory against Gwyn; didn't feel as victorious or awesome once it was all said and done. Hopefully, I'll get to make the NG+ victory one for the books.

I keep reading older forums, the wikis, old reviews, etc. for this game and there are just so many people that don't get the genius of this game. Everything seen as a "flaw" in design, I see as being intentional. Someone reviewing the game said it would have been better if they had given the player more direction for where to go next, but I completely disagree. The whole experience is one of trial and error, give and take, reward and punishment; that's a theme that is pervasive through almost every single aspect of the game (including the whole co-op/invasion mechanic). And, even when you think you've got the game by the ears, it reminds you that it can still wipe the floor with your ass! So yeah... I will be playing this game for years to come. It has easily become one of my top 5 favorites of all time (right up there with Super Metroid, my #1, and I still play it to completion at least 3 or 4 times a year; came out in 1994 )

P.S., though.... Capra is STILL a bitch.
I've played through this game almost 30 times and it doesn't get old to me. Oddly enough this is my go-to game for relaxation. I also consider it one of my top favorite games of all time.

Other than the few framerate hiccups here and there I have no complaints at all. Hiding all the story and lore in item and soul descriptions is genius to me. This game starts you out alone and literally makes you feel that way throughout.

I wish I could recapture the 1st time I played through the game. I was scared of everything! Every corner, every noise and of course bosses. There is a TON that survival horror developers could learn from this series.

Grats again on beating it once.....but don't neglect that superb copy of borderlands 2 for long.....TVHM is actually pretty challenging solo.

Last edited by SuNuS; 09-29-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #14
asdfen

Here are some tips for killing Gwyn

asdfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #15
Mr Jinxed

mr jinxed's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuNuS View Post
Other than the few framerate hiccups here and there I have no complaints at all. Hiding all the story and lore in item and soul descriptions is genius to me. This game starts you out alone and literally makes you feel that way throughout.

I wish I could recapture the 1st time I played through the game. I was scared of everything! Every corner, every noise and of course bosses. There is a TON that survival horror developers could learn from this series.

Grats again on beating it once.....but don't neglect that superb copy of borderlands 2 for long.....TVHM is actually pretty challenging solo.
I couldn't agree more with this. I felt SO lost the first time I loaded it up, and I was hella paranoid always keeping my shield up and peeking around corners, and when meeting a new enemy I was like "uh-oh what now"
@Borderlands 2 seems quite awesome. Much harder than the first one (which is a good thing tbh). Playing it in coop and having a blast =)
Old 09-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #16
SuNuS

SuNuS's Gamercard
The best statement I have ever read about Dark Souls was from a review I read. (Can't recall where) But the reviewer said that Dark Souls was like the girl of your dreams, no matter how terrible she treats you, you will just keep coming back for more.

And yes Mr Jinxed....BL2 is fantastic. I'm almost done with my TVHM game. It has a fantastic difficulty spike after beating it on normal. Most enemies that hit you 1 time take down 100% of your shields and 90% of your hp. 2 hits and poof!
Old 09-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #17
Mr Jinxed

mr jinxed's Gamercard
Sounds great!