Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Xbox 360
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-20-2011, 12:58 AM   #1
GunotSoldier15

omegamustard's Gamercard
Fun > Achievements

I was reading some threads before and i see some people talking about how they're playing this game or that game just for the achievements but they hate the game and cant wait to finish it. Why do you people care so much about achivements. I know the website is called x360a but still why not have fun and just get the achievements you get and not stress so much over getting one achievement or the whole 1000. Does anyone in this website agree with me or not?
Old 12-20-2011, 01:00 AM   #2
Matt36

MP Nemo36's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
No, or we wouldn't be here...

I have fun getting achievements.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:22 AM   #3
hydrosugar

xFightingSaintx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts
To an extent, I'll often bypass collectibles just so I can play without a guide. And even if I go for 1000g, I'll wait until 2nd playthrough/after 1st to mop up. At the same time, if I am playing new games, I'll push myself to get all the achievements I can.(Right now this usually means all offline ones that aren't absurdly difficult.) It's nice to have a goal
Old 12-20-2011, 01:23 AM   #4
Skilled

depressedwhales's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I play for fun and sometimes achievements are fun to get. If I don't like the game I wont get all the achievements.

Quote:
How we survive, is what makes us who we are.

Feel free to add me on;
Xbox (DepressedWhales)
or
Steam (DepressedWhale).
Skilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:39 AM   #5
AmbaLaBamba

AmbaLaBamba's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Some games are just meant for achievements and aren't fun at all, other have a mixture of both. I know I've played a couple of games that I haven't found entertaining and only played them for the gamerscore, I learnt my lesson. Well I like to think I have.

AmbaLaBamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:56 AM   #6
Paka

bucfanpaka's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I love getting them, but I'm not hardcore, if it stops being fun I have no qualms about giving up on hunting any. Games are all about fun, have enough frustration IRL.

Anyways, I'm way more about the total than completion %, especially since I'll play some games a little bit then stick them in the backlog stack indefinitely. And with achievements unlike trophies, 10g achievements add up into the total all the same, and so no biggie if I give up on some here and there, will make up for it with others. The sense of accomplishment that comes with harder ones is nice though I admit!
Old 12-20-2011, 02:01 AM   #7
TAILSxTHExF0X

xTails The Fox's Gamercard
Depends what kind achievement I'm trying to get. Also, I only get games I enjoy.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:09 AM   #8
Fire Hawk D

Fire Hawk GYJS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Gold   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
You: Fun > Achievements

Me: Fun = Achievements

I really don't make a distinction. Regardless of the game, getting the achievements IS fun.
Fire Hawk D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:12 AM   #9
PMS Green1Chaos

Send a message via AIM to PMS Green1Chaos Send a message via MSN to PMS Green1Chaos Send a message via Yahoo to PMS Green1Chaos Send a message via Skype™ to PMS Green1Chaos

Green1Chaos's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
I play mainly for fun...The only time I play serious is when I'm trying to get a story mode achievement that is proving to be very challenging

"Fifty Thounsand people used to live here.Now It's a ghost town."-Capt. McMillian

https://www.playfire.com/ps3-xbox-pc/8SUJNO
PMS Green1Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:32 AM   #10
OptimusOBrien

OptimusOBrien's Gamercard
I enjoy getting achievements..it adds more fun to the game for me
OptimusOBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:12 AM   #11
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
I love achievements but considering it took me twice as long to get from 40-50 as it did from 30-40, the "fire" is dying. Still, they're cool.
ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:15 AM   #12
christoph541

Christoph541's Gamercard
I enjoy the challenge of completing the achievement(s) and having a sense of accomplishment afterwards. Some of them can take hours
christoph541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:16 AM   #13
Nero x360a & ps3t

Knee Row's Gamercard
I agree fun > achievements but 1000 looks better than 990
Nero x360a & ps3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:37 AM   #14
TVthePunisher

Send a message via AIM to TVthePunisher Send a message via MSN to TVthePunisher Send a message via Yahoo to TVthePunisher

TVthePunisher's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Subscriber - Bronze   Genre Competition - Second Place   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Achievements to me are accomplishments I set out to prove and they stick with my gamertag for good. I've heard from several people that they are amazed at how I've completed some games and it...it really feels amazing. There's my purpose...acknowledgement for success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenderPowguin View Post
R.I.P. Random Thought of the Day...Thread - Take 1.
5/13/2013 - 8/15/2014 - 15,243 Posts of Awesome.
Never forget.
TVthePunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:55 AM   #15
cjdavies

cjdavies82's Gamercard

I agree with you, I use this site more as it's gaming website rather than achievements.

There are achievements now I won't bother getting e.g. collectables or ones that require time and patience.

I play for fun, my recent game AC: 2 I was doing all the secondary assignments (no achievement for completing them all, only for doing 1 of each), but I didn't bother going for feathers even though I had a guide it's just not fun for me, more of a chore when I did it LA Noire.

Last edited by cjdavies; 12-20-2011 at 06:39 PM.
cjdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #16
grimkillah

grimkillah's Gamercard
I only buy games that I know I will love, however once I have that game I feel obliged to 100% it, so I can get my money's worth before selling it on eBay. Therefore you wouldn't find me buying crap games for achievement, however you will see me trying to 100% games that I love.
grimkillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #17
Tatanko
Ductus Exemplo

Tatanko's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 4   Subscriber - Bronze   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   5,000 Posts   A+ Thread Award   XBA Promoter   Over Achiever - Bronze   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
For the most part, I play for fun. I use achievements as a way of exploring the game to its fullest extent. I will NOT play a game just for achievements, because I don't find any fun in that. Getting achievements is fun, but if you're not enjoying the game, what's the point? So you can have a huge gamerscore number that nobody cares about (except other people with higher gamerscores )?

I'm not dogging people who have high gamerscores, but I'm sure they've spent more than their fair share of time playing games they don't enjoy. Why play a game you don't enjoy? That's like making achievements your job, except you're not getting paid for it.
Tatanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #18
Nerdz0r

BodrumKebab's Gamercard

>asking why we care about achievements
>achievements
>xbox360achievements.org
Old 12-20-2011, 11:06 PM   #19
Kiiito

Kiiito's Gamercard
I used to play for achievements but now I usually just play the game go for some achievements at first and now what I've been doing us going back to games on my card that I don't have many achievements in I dont care if I don't get 1000 but recently instead of having games with 10g etc. I like to have a number I shoot for depending on the game and the achievement difficulty most of the time its just to get over 500g that's a good goal for me

Last edited by Kiiito; 12-20-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Kiiito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:08 AM   #20
Capn Doug
Community Completionist

Capn Doug XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - rekikire   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Arcade Crazy - Platinum   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 2   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 3   Community Gaming - Gold   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2
Total Awards: 48 (more» ...)
It amazes me when people complain about this. If the achievement existed in isolation, no they would probably not be fun, but given that they come with games that offer some level of amusement, they represent some level of fun. Even a bad game can offer amusement, so the act of getting achievements is in and of itself a representation of amusement.

As the point about "I can't wait to finish this game because it sucks," for someone like me, an unfinished game is more obvious on the tag than a finished one. So, the sentiment is more of "I can't wait to finish it so that I can forget about it" or "so I can trade it in."
Old 12-21-2011, 01:38 AM   #21
Qonok

Qonok's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Staff Club - Never Final   Over Achiever - Silver
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
For me, getting achievements is fun. But...I have learned my lesson and will only play games that I also enjoy.

i used to play anything just for the gamerscore. Really disliked a few games I did that for. Now I will only play what I believe that I will like. I am sure I will get a game I thought I would like to find I didn't. It happens.

Kind of like going to that movie you just had to see and then not liking a minute of the movie. Some people will watch the movie through all the way while others may walk out in the middle.

Sort of like games. Some will stick it out to 1k it but others will walk away half way through.

Qonok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:55 AM   #22
Foxxy kyle

Foxxy Kyle's Gamercard

Awards Showcase You ARE the Controller Challenge Club - Tier 1   Road Map - Platinum   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Diamond   Micro Guide - Silver   XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Gold   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   A+ Thread Award   Bright Idea
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Hawk D View Post

Exactly.

Im not sure if it was just me but the OP seemed pretty mad at us for liking achievements lol.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:47 AM   #23
Ice Car

Send a message via Skype™ to Ice Car

Ice Car's Gamercard

Fun takes priority over achievements, but earning achievements is fun... Not sure what to think.

Just find the right balance between just playing to have fun and getting achievements. It becomes more of a task or frustration at some point, if you find yourself not having fun... Logic should say to stop trying.

「Tumblr」「Anime List」「Gifs」
Quote:
Originally Posted by God
Never have more than one waifu. Getting more waifu will destroy your laifu.
Ice Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:59 AM   #24
DOOKH8R

DOOKH8R's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Over Achiever - Bronze   Staff Club - Minty   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 4   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Hawk D View Post

Math is hard.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #25
OptimusPrime76

KnightFall 539's Gamercard
Good thread. To kick off the OP never said anything about not liking achievements and he never said he didn't like people who did like achievements. Seriously some people need to actually read and understand some posts before they respond.

I see stuff like this all the time, on this website and loads of others. "god man this game sucks can't wait to finish it". I've always thought this was a very strange and wasteful use of my free time, to sit and play a game I am not enjoying just to increase my gamerscore. I used to think people did this to try and earn respect. Despite what people say its about recognition and if it wasn't and it was purely a personal thing why not turn off the settings on your Xbox so no one can see your gamerscore.

Don't get me wrong I've played a few easy games for achievements, mainly around 3/4 years ago. I can see the enjoyment of earning achievements and I personally love them and playing an easy game that requires no effort and very little time can be rewarding just to earn the gamerscore.

I suppose my issue is with time consuming games. The worst one for me was disneys cars. This game is downright crap and I just couldn't bring myself to get the last achievement. Spent ages getting to 900g and realised what an incredible waste of time this was. Why was I playing this game when there was so many great games available and I'm sitting here spending my precious free time plays disneys cars. Its this that convinced me to not bother with rubbish games anymore. I'd rather have a second run through of a great game and earn no achievements than play a steaming pile of shit for gamerscore.

For those saying "yeah but I don't want an incomplete game on my tag" well why not create a 2nd gamertag? I have and if I buy a game I'm not 100% sure of then I'll play for an hour or two on my other gamertag and if it's shit it won't appear on my normal gamertag. Triple AAA games like batman, gears of war etc I don't do this with but games like shadows of the damned which I liked the look of but heard mixed reviews on I did this with (that games great by the way).

So, in conclusion, if you have fun doing whatever you do with your Xbox then that's cool; as you were. Me personally I don't have the time to play shit games and love the whole experience of gaming to which achievements are a part of this but not the sole reason to game. I do feel that for some people gaming has become as time consuming as a full time job in their quest for achievements and this is something I never want to experience myself.
People think it's an obsession. A compulsion. As if there were an irresistible impulse to act. It's never been like that. I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either.
OptimusPrime76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #26
TriRock

TriRock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 1   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 3   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 2   You're DOOMED Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - The Pants Party   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 2   You ARE the Controller Challenge Club - Tier 1   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 2   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 1   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1
Total Awards: 41 (more» ...)
Earning achievements is fun. And sometimes, I get more fun from getting achievements than any other aspect of the game.

Achievement #1000: Seek and Destroy - #10000: Fully Evolved - #20000: Data Security

Overachiever: 55 points - 16 Staff Clubs - C/F Clubs 10-5-1

TriRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #27
TVthePunisher

Send a message via AIM to TVthePunisher Send a message via MSN to TVthePunisher Send a message via Yahoo to TVthePunisher

TVthePunisher's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Subscriber - Bronze   Genre Competition - Second Place   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Actually I'm adding on here, I think achievements ARE fun. Maybe not so much the time consuming ones but it's a lot of fun to hear that achievement go and pop. Crap games not so much...but hey, I know a few titles I will have fun completing, one way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenderPowguin View Post
R.I.P. Random Thought of the Day...Thread - Take 1.
5/13/2013 - 8/15/2014 - 15,243 Posts of Awesome.
Never forget.
TVthePunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #28
GamerzGirl

Send a message via Skype™ to GamerzGirl

GamerzGirl's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
I think most users on here find it gratifying to get all achievements in the game.

I'm a give or take kind of person. I will get a game based off of my love for that specific game, then if I decide to or not, I will try to get as many achievements but not making myself go crazy. >.>
Old 12-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #29
Hansathan

Hansathan's Gamercard
I think that if you're gonna spend $60 on a game, you may as well try to get as much out of the game as possible (earn as many achievements as you can). I try to complete every game I buy, however my days of "boosting" cheevos in games with dead online communities are over. Life is too short and I don't have the time I play games I used to, so I wanna actually ENJOY the time I spend gaming.

Hans(nickname) + Jonathan("real" name) = Hansathan
Hansathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #30
Skilled

depressedwhales's Gamercard

Its also a good way to keep track of what you've accomplished. Not only that, you can show them off to the world!

Quote:
How we survive, is what makes us who we are.

Feel free to add me on;
Xbox (DepressedWhales)
or
Steam (DepressedWhale).
Skilled is offline   Reply With Quote