PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Racing > Joe Danger: Special Edition
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
Bum Commando

Bum Commando's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Post Sandbox Thread / Guide and Tips

What's this thread about?

This is a thread I've created for anything and everything sandbox in Joe Danger. Anybody can post their levels here to share with other members of the forum. If you are wanting to play around with the level editor and create something cool share it with us! The sandbox editor is very user friendly. For those of you that would like some help getting starting I'm going to begin to compile a guide full of suggestions and useful tips for creating fun levels. The sky is the limit!

Getting to know how the level editor works.

When you enter the sandbox your first choice should be to choose a level slot. You can create or store up to eight levels at any given time. Each level you can edit is cut into 8 sections so you can create large intricate levels with lots of space to design whatever you want.

When you choose a slot and go to edit youll notice you can select levels (1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc... up to 1-8). When you create something in level 1-1 and run out of room you can select to edit 1-2 and what you create here will follow shortly after the last item placed in level 1-1. You can create checkpoints within the levels at any point in the track up to 5 times. It would be recommended to just create checkpoints at the beginning of levels (1-2, 1-3, etc...) but you can do whatever you like. Just note that the levels (1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc...) don't follow as a seamless level until you exit the editor and play the level.

Using the Toolbox.

When you enter a level press to enter the edit mode. From here you can move, rotate and position props used from the toolbox with . Pressing will open up the toolbox where you will be able to use about 95% of all of the props seen in Career or the Lab (the only noticable props missing from the editor are the Thwomp like aztec blocks and saloons). Any prop you select from here can be placed on any of the 3 lanes of track provided by using the to switch in between them. You can use and to rotate an object clockwise or counter clockwise on a vertical plane and and to rotate an object 45 on a horizontal plane. Any of the props you place will fall to the ground abiding the rules of gravity with the exception of these props which will hold the position placed in mid-air;

Row 1: Red Bounce Pad, Hazard Spikes

Row 4: Collectable Stars/Coins, Target Pads

Row 7: Boost Pads

Row 9: Treadmills, Blue Platforms

Row 10: Hover Fan, Moving Star Platform

Brief Description of Props.

Below is a brief description of each usable prop in the toolbox. Going from the top row to the bottom row in the order they appear. There is a cap on the amount of each individual prop you can place in a stage and the total number of props allowable in a stage. Size of the object doesn't affect the total amount of props usable in a level. The total amount of objects you can place in each sublevel is 70. The item caps listed refer to the cap is each section of a level (1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc...) so the total item cap for a stage is set at 560. Any of the Coins/Stars you place in a level will automatically be an achievable objective star for when you playthrough the level though it doesn't save and you will not recieve the stars towards the Career.

Row 1- Angry Rocket, Hazard Spike, Speed Bump, Red Hurdle, Red Bounce Pad.

Angry Rocket: These can be placed on the ground and explode if you run into them. Note that if you knock them around while in the editor you will need to pick them up and manually position them again. If they are bumped while controlling Joe in the sandbox they will reset back into position when you revert to a checkpoint or starting line. You can place up to 10 in a stage.

Hazard Spike: The can be place in mid-air or the ground. Uses are pretty self explanitory. If you touch them you die. You can place up to 15 in a stage.

Speed Bump: It's a speed bump. You can place up to 15 in a stage.

Red Hurdle: When you make contact in any way with the red bar on the hurdle you crash. You can place up to 15 in a stage.

Red Bounce Pad:These can be placed in mid-air. Joe bounces off the pads and can jump off them to achieve great hieghts. You can place up to 15 in a stage.

Row 2- Small to Medium size Ramps

Ramps:The only difference between the ramps is the size and degree of incline. You can place up to 15 of each of these ramps in a stage.

Row 3- Large Ramps and Quarterpipe.

Large Ramps: Same as row 2 you can place up to 15 of each in a stage.

Quarterpipe: A ramp with a 90 degree jump. You can place up to 15 in a stage.

Row 4- Red Coin/Gold Coin, Collectable Star, Target Pad, Checkpoint

Red Coin/Gold Coin: If you've played the career you know how these work. You can only place 1 Red Coin and up to 30 Gold Coins.

Collectable Star: These are the same stars as the collectable ones in the Career and Lab. You can place a maximum of 70 in a level.

Target Pad: These work exactly how they do in the Career and Lab. You can place these in mid-air and up to 15 can be placed in a level.

Checkpoint: These are checkpoints that you can use when you playthrough your level. They can also be handy to use in the sandbox when testing your level. You can place up to 5 checkpoints at a time.

Row 5- Large Orange/Blue Squares, Blue Tunnel, Bus, Truck

Large Orange/Blue Squares: You can place up to 15 Orange Squares and 15 Blue Squares in a level.

Blue Tunnel: You can place up to 15 Blue Tunnels in a level.

Bus: You can place up to 15 Busses in a level.

Truck: You can place up to 30 Trucks in a level.

Row 6- Lane Changers, Aztec Block, Aztec Block Pole

Lane Changers: These are just used to change lanes. There are 3 different lane changers; One that branches down a lane, one that branches up a lane and one that branches both ways. You can use up to 5 of each type.

Aztec Block: You can place up to 15 of these in a level.

Aztec Block Pole: You can place up to 15 of these in a level.

Row 7- Barrel,Plank, Boost Pad, Mud, Aztec Monument

Barrel: You can place up to 10 of these in a level.

Plank: You can place up to 8 of these in a level.

Mud: Driving through mud just slows the player down. You can place up to 5 strips of mud in a level.

Aztec Monument: You can place up to 15 of these in a level.

Row 8- Cheese Block, Soda Can, Traffic Cone, Loop de Loops

Cheese Block: Can be used as something for Joe to drive through and scatter everywhere or to conceal collectable stars. You can place up to 20 in a level.

Soda Can: Just something for Joe to drive into and knock around. You can place up to 5 in a level.

Traffic Cone: You can place up to 10 in a level.

Loop de Loops: There is one that moves from bottom lane to top and vise versa. You can place 1 of each in a level.

Row 9- Tire, Shark Tank, Treadmill, Blue Platform, Red Platform

Tire: You can place up to 10 in a stage.

Shark Tank: You can place up to 3 in a stage directly on the ground.

Treadmill: You can place a Treadmill in mid-air. Joe can even drive straight up these vertically as seen in later Career levels so these are really fun to play with. Rotate them to achieve the desired direction. You can place up to 10 in a level.

Blue Platform: Blue Platforms can hover in mid-air. You can place up to 20 in a level.

Red Platform: Red Platforms fall to the ground when placed and act more as a bridge of sorts. You can place up to 8 in a level.

Row 10- Orange Ball, Red Elevated Platform, Hover Fan, Hammer Totem, Moving Star Platform

Orange Ball: Just an orange ball for Joe to play with. The only practical use I've found for this is it can be used to bump against other objects (like angry rockets). Joe can play with up to 15 Balls at a time.

Red Elevated Platform: Can be used as a bridge or you can drive right underneath it. You can place up to 15 in a level.

Hover Fan: Hover Fans can be placed in mid-air and are used to propel Joe forward or keep him hovering while over them. You can place up to 5 in a level.

Hammer Totem: For the Hammer Totem to take effect like in the Career levels you need to place it one lane over from the lane Joe is supposed to drive in. You can however put it directly in Joes path and it can be jumped over for added challenge. Can also be placed sideways so one arm swings through solid ground (O_o!) and the other swings straight into the air. You can place up to 3 in a level.

Moving Star Platform: These platforms can be seen in Career mode in select levels. From the point placed it begins to move to the right until it bumps into a solid object (ie; Large Orange Block) and then will reverse direction. If it's path is not obstructed then it will continue to move right indefinately. If the obstruction is something less conventional, such as a Hazard Spike, the Star Platform will not change direction and will just halt in position sometimes making an annoying sound. When you reset at a checkpoint the Star Platforms position resets to where it was placed originally.

Quote:
"The dumber people think you are, the more suprised they are going to be when you kill them."
-William Clayton

Last edited by Bum Commando; 12-25-2011 at 03:55 AM.
Bum Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
Bum Commando

Bum Commando's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
So I've created this level, how the $^%# do I end it?!

You may have noticed that among the props, a finish line is not. That is because it is automatically placed for you shortly after the last prop placed in the last sublevel edited. This will only take affect when you select to play the level and won't appear at all in the editor.

Share your level!

After you've completed your level and want to brag about it or challenge other people post in this thread. Post in here if you want to be involved in a community level trading thread so active members of this forum can send levels back and forth and I hope to create an active forum engaging gamers who want to extend the life of the game past what the Career experience offers. I myself have created a few levels using the level editor (who'd a thunk) and have had a lot of fun created unconventional platforming challenges. If I can I will provide a link to a video with a playthrough of some of my levels. They are inspired by the difficulty in Super Meat Boy and I feel I've done a noteworthy job recreating the platforming to something unique. If you would like to try it send my gamertag a pm or send me a map of your own! As always, Happy Platforming!

As of this point I would consider this guide complete. However if you have any additional questions regarding this thread I will do my best to answer.

Quote:
"The dumber people think you are, the more suprised they are going to be when you kill them."
-William Clayton

Last edited by Bum Commando; 12-25-2011 at 04:02 AM.
Bum Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
gazmaster1

Gazmaster3D's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Silver   1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Silver
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
how do i upload a level?

edit: never mind i found it

Last edited by gazmaster1; 12-28-2011 at 07:00 PM.
gazmaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote