PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Fallout: New Vegas
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
AtomicThumbs

AtomicThumbs's Gamercard
I prefer Fallout 3/New Vegas to Skyrim

I just got 100% on Skyrim and I've returned to New Vegas to finish up all the DLC and I've got to say that I really prefer the sci-fi post apocalyptic setting of Fallout to Skyrim.
AtomicThumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
Snoop QC

snoop qc's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I really love the Elder Scroll serie but I'm a sci fi fan first, this why I'll sell my Skyrim eventually but not my Fallout games.

Achievements completion : 99,41%
Gamerscore completion : 99,43%
Retail games completed : 76/80
I'm a completionist!!!

Currently working on Halo MCC, GTA 5 (X1).
Looking for partners to boost Saints Row 1 mp achievements

If you send a friend request, please send a message telling why, otherwise I will just ignore it
Snoop QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
trymemf

L22 Furious's Gamercard
Yeah i had the same feeling after 1000g on skyrim
Old 02-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
AtomicThumbs

AtomicThumbs's Gamercard
I felt like Bethesda didn't really learn from what made New Vegas really great. I really missed stuff like factions and a morality system.
AtomicThumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
ChickinOnaChain

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I was just the opposite. I played both Fallouts and hated them. I might have gotten 1-2 achievements on each and dumped them. It's just a matter of what each person likes.

ChickinOnaChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
trymemf

L22 Furious's Gamercard
Yeah but you can't really judge a game from 2 achieves
Old 02-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
Nitroglencerin

nitroglencerin's Gamercard
I'm a big fan of the sci-fi rpg type games like Fallout. There aren't that many out there, but there's more sword and magic games than you can shake a stick at.

That being said, I'm planning to buy Skyrim this summer.

Nitroglencerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:08 AM   #8
FeatherbottomMR

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I really enjoyed Vegas... I have played skyrim and it is good but I would choose fallout over it....
FeatherbottomMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
Penguino Rojo

penguino rojo's Gamercard
I can't think of any Elder Scrolls game that has had that much in the way of competing factions in the main story. That has never been the point of those games. Fallout is rife with it. It would be hard to apply any 'lessons' from one series that thrives on such things in another series that focuses on other things.

Similar issue with 'morality.' The elder scrolls doesn't look at 'good' or 'bad.' If you pay attention, it focuses on 'order' and 'chaos.' Not much point in measuring your effect on order and chaos when both can be good and bad, sometimes at the same time.

On the original subject, the only thing I can say is 'that's nice.' Everyone has their own preferences. Both series have long histories, I personally like them equally since they are not really intended to compete with each other on their messages.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
Duck owner

duck owner's Gamercard
Fallout 3 was my first shooter so i prefer fallout
Duck owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #11
Creazil

iCreazil UK's Gamercard
I prefer JRPG titles when it comes to Role Playing. The Fable & Fallout series are the only Western RPG games I like. I loved Oblivion, but Skyrim, while it was good, I just couldn't give it as much love as Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

I couldn't give New Vegas the love I did Fallout 3, but I'm here now with the Ultimate Edition to give it a shot again and I'm enjoying it thus far.

Oblivion > Fallout 3 > New Vegas > Skyrim

Creazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #12
Axel 360

axelquatripolar's Gamercard
I do prefer Fallout over TES as well.

As mention before for another user, there arenīt many Sci-Fi establish sagas out there, and most out there are focus on action shooters (Gears of Wars, Halo). In the RPG genre there is just TOO MUCH sword and magic scheme plot games.

Not to forget, Fallout lore is pretty unique. Most Sci-Fi games involves space as primary scenario, Fallout takes the genre back to a post-apocalyptic, where the fiction elements are not as committed to create a whole new universe full of imagination as it is to portrait a possible future for mankind, all very well presented with that 50īs era felling because of thatīs the time period where the world fuck itself, or at least a part of it.

Sure TES lore is pretty complex, and it is not a classic Dark Ages reinterpretation with mythology elements like most games does (Dragon Age, Warcraft, Kingdom of Amalur...), but in the last games they are been focusing on human populated parts of Tamriel, Skyrim feels like most of the genre except that sometimes, you run into a Khajiit or Argonian, even every creature you fight is just classic stuff, the zombies, the skeletons, dragons, bears, wolf, thieves, necromancers...

I found Fallout lore more rewarding mainly because it feels more unique, even when comparing to other media post-apocalyptic scenarios, especially on movies like A Boy and His Dog (a movie they really look into when creating Fallout, although a pretty bad movie), classic Mad Max or more recently the good till the fail religious ending The Book of Eli, it feels something completely unique.

And I must add that I loved Sci-Fi dystopias, the books that really make me think and realize we should all we aware of the future and what kind of one we will create are the ones like Fahrenheit 451, 1984, Brave new world or Ape and Essence. Thatīs what I love about Fallout, is actually a message to what mankind could have turn because of war or could turn in the future. And I think thatīs what makes a pretty good script and in the case of sagas, and interesting lore: Use fictional elements to tell a story capable of showing something related to the real world.

Fallout is a win. I will say I considerer to be one of the most interesting lores of the actual videogame industry, and one that I expect to be present in the industry for some more time, till the bombs fall off and we may survive on a Vault or transform into hideous Ghouls.
Axel 360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
falldown3

falldown3's Gamercard
I have completed both fallouts and I have 29/50 achievements in skyrim.... I have to say skyrim is such a well put together game but to me fallout is more enjoyable and fun overall

All Call of Duty's Complete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
falldown3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #14
One Winged Joker

DarkSephiroth93's Gamercard
Nothing to add. Simple as that. Fallout rules!
One Winged Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #15
Magnus BC

I played fallout 3, fallout new vegas and skyrim. Though I though Fallout NV was more fun than Skyrim, I actually preferred fallout 3. I thought there were way too many useless endings in NV.
Magnus BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #16
lethal.b

eG I LETHAL's Gamercard
I feel the same way. I absolutely love Oblivion, Fallout 3 and new vegas but for some reason i just cant get into skyrim.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #17
Helium

Named GAMER's Gamercard
Both series are great(TES and Fallout).Guess the liking goes that way do you like scifi or fantasy more. I like new vegas,fallout 3,skyrim and oblivion.
Only difference is that fallout games seems to be shorter. When it took 300+ hours to finish skyrim mostly on one charecter and in fallout 3+DLCs it took me about 100 hours to finish all quest,look all special weapons and collectibles. New Vegas I can't say yet because haven't finish it but I'll try to get it done.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:20 AM   #18
Dibil

BreakingBad1337's Gamercard
I'm with you. I enjoy Skyrim but I just felt myself missing the Wasteland while playing it. Plus, Fallout has much more humor and interesting characters. I found everyone in Skyrim to be quite boring.
Dibil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #19
DStyles

DStyles23's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain View Post
I was just the opposite. I played both Fallouts and hated them. I might have gotten 1-2 achievements on each and dumped them. It's just a matter of what each person likes.
This

But I guess because I'm new to the whole RPG genre. In fallout it seems that you have to be more conservative of our items such as ammo and stimpaks.

DStyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:45 AM   #20
Nax

Yeah I am coming back to New Vegas for DLC, but this game was quite awful the first time through. Don't really like it very much now, either. Fallout 3 was great, though. However, after playing almost the entirety of Skyrim, I really miss the gorgeous scenery. Everything in Fallout games tend to blend together - that's just because of the apocalyptic scenery, though. I gotta go with the Elder Scrolls first before Fallout.
Nax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #21
D 3 4 T H B 4 T

D 3 4 T H B 4 T's Gamercard
I put about 20 hours into Skyrim and that is it. I cannot get into the atmosphere of the game. I love The Fallout series because of the atmosphere, gameplay and story
Old 07-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #22
pined5551

Traveller Nick's Gamercard

I liked Fallout 3 and Skyrim. But I just can't get into New Vegas, I find it incredibly boring. I especially hate that I seem to get killed very easily despite being on very easy, not to mention the character you play as walks unbareably slow! It takes forever to get anyway! I wish I had never put the game in my drive :'(
pined5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #23
Kunduz

Herr Karamell's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
I have always preferred previous installments of the series: Fallout 1 & 2, Morrowind, Daggerfall etc. Due to the massive "streamlining" and copy/pasting which has fallen upon this once beloved franchise...
Kunduz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #24
combustible lemon

unsnaggedfive3's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain View Post
You could have tried a bit harder seeing as you can get 2 achievements in 3 before leaving the vault and 2 in NV in not much more time.

Anyway, I much prefer any of the FO games to the TES games. Skyrim is like a vast ocean that's only 3 cm deep. FO3 definitely feels more like oblivion with VATS, SPECIAL and guns than a fallout game but is still much better than skyrim. That game was streamlined to the point where it was barely an RPG, had no choice or consequence and you could do every quest and master every skill in a single playthrough.

After skyrims success though, I am scared thoroughly sh**less by what Beth is going to do to Fallout next.
combustible lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #25
Warpath Wolf

Warpath Wolf's Gamercard
Wow, never thought that so many of you share a similar opinion. I thought Skyrim was a great game, but:

Quote:
Skyrim is like a vast ocean that's only 3 cm deep.
This is pretty much what I thought too. I've enjoyed Oblivion for many hundred of hours, just like the both Fallout games. Skyrim was also great, but it doesn't seem that it will come close to that many hours for me. It seems like they put the focus on graphics and a big world rather than on interesting quests, NPCs and things like that. For me, one of the biggest (if not the biggest) point of criticism is the leveling system of Skyrim. It's just completely bullshit, compared to Fallout.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas may not have that many quests and such a huge world, but the game felt much deeper when it comes to quests, NPCs and things like that.

Sig made by Alabastermatt

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

Last edited by Warpath Wolf; 09-02-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Warpath Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #26
Almsivi

ArmedWithDanger's Gamercard
As a Morrowind lover, I adored Skyrim obviously, but just recently I started playing the last two DLC's to Fallout 3, Point Lookout and Mothership Zeta, which I never had a go at until now, and I'm absolutely loving it, having a blast!
So I decided to put Skyrim on the shelf and put all my Xbox time into Fallout, as well as buying the Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition
Almsivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #27
hectorg96

TinedCarcass's Gamercard
Agreed ^_^

i agree 100% i do like skyrim and i was excited for it to come out but im much more excited for there to be another fallout game,Make fallout 4 already bethesda!!!
hectorg96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #28
Darth P Dub

Darth P Dub's Gamercard
A lot of gamers would agree with you! I have only great things to say about the Elder Scrolls and Skyrim, but if i had to pick only one series to play it would without a doubt be Fallout. That is why Bethesda need to hurry up with Fallout 4 on that sweet Skyrim engine.
Darth P Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #29
Stewie Griffin2

Stew1e Griffin2's Gamercard

I've put more time into Oblivion than any other game, save maybe online gaming in CoD. That said, Skyrim, although an excellent game, just seemed like it fell short somewhere. I've never been able to pinpoint exactly where it fell short, but I've gotten on Skyrim kicks that last a few days, whereas my Fallout and Oblivion playthroughs generally occupy me for weeks at a time.

If I had to say one specific thing that I like more in the FO series, I'd say it has to be the references/connections Skyrim has to previous installments, whereas FO3 and NV are both very rich in that franchise's history. SKyrim had a few references in conversations and a character that was a decendent of an unimportant NPC from previous games, but there weren't really any quests that had any nostalgia factor, whereas Fallout 3 places you in the middle of a fight that's been raging since the beginning of the series and NV takes you back to the roots of the franchise as far as factions, characters and location are concerned.

As far as gameplay, I think Skyrim falls a little short in combat compared to FO in that it requires you to severely streamline your tactics, to the point that it becomes rather repetitive. Fallout allows you to use multiple tactics, even through the course of one single engagement, and that keeps the game from becoming stale.
Stewie Griffin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #30
combustible lemon

unsnaggedfive3's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth P Dub View Post
A lot of gamers would agree with you! I have only great things to say about the Elder Scrolls and Skyrim, but if i had to pick only one series to play it would without a doubt be Fallout. That is why Bethesda need to hurry up with Fallout 4 on that sweet Skyrim engine.
Considering how much money they made from Skyrim, I think Beth should stop being such cheapskates and invest in an entirely new engine for their next game. The gamebryo/creation engine should be put into retirement now.
combustible lemon is offline   Reply With Quote