PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Adventure > Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
wacko3.16

wacko316's Gamercard
Mr Scratch - Best Antagonist Ever?

Dont know about anyone else but never have I enjoyed a games 'anti-hero's antics so much. Even in saying this, I think Mr Scratch may be a better charachter than Alan Wake.

If Microsoft and Remedy want this game to sell more than the thousands it already will, I think they should put a TV ad out with Mr Scratch doing his crotch pumps to the song 'Psycho'. Great moment in the game, even though its meant to be chilling.

Anyone else agree? Or think of any better antagonists?
wacko3.16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
Agusta1

Agusta1's Gamercard
The song isn't called Psycho. It's called "The Happy Song"

and Mr Scratch being the best antagonist is arguable. Andrew Ryan plays that part pretty well.

Check Out my Shitty Videos On Youtube!
http://www.youtube.com/user/44Yuri44...4?feature=mhum
Agusta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
wacko3.16

wacko316's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agusta1 View Post
The song isn't called Psycho. It's called "The Happy Song"

and Mr Scratch being the best antagonist is arguable. Andrew Ryan plays that part pretty well.

Fair enough, I didnt actually know the name just assumed

Andrew Ryan is a good shout but I still feel that despite the amount of time you see Mr Scratch, you see and understand much more about him, unlike Ryan where most of it is a secret. Scratch just seems to put it all out there and say 'well if you dont like it, go f**k yourself' lol. He is a such a well written character.

Well done Remedy
Old 02-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
sharkhunter21

shark hunter 21's Gamercard
Yes, have to agree that Mr. Scratch ranks as one of the best villains ever. Throughout the game I was torn between two thoughts of Scratch; This guy's crazy and This guy is amazing. It's been awhile since I've played a game where I loved the villain as much as the protagonist.
Unlike most antagonists where they just want to kill for vengeance or for some greater purpose, Scratch kills people just cause the guy enjoys it so much. He has that beautiful kind of crazy where he can make the player love him more than hate him. Scratch reminds me of the Joker and Tyler Durden. All of these characters are insane yet confident and despite the chaos around them, they are the calm within it.
All in all, I was very pleased with how Mr. Scratch was portrayed in this, I couldn't have asked for a better evil half for Alan to go up against.
sharkhunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Agusta1

Agusta1's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhunter21 View Post
Yes, have to agree that Mr. Scratch ranks as one of the best villains ever. Throughout the game I was torn between two thoughts of Scratch; This guy's crazy and This guy is amazing. It's been awhile since I've played a game where I loved the villain as much as the protagonist.
Unlike most antagonists where they just want to kill for vengeance or for some greater purpose, Scratch kills people just cause the guy enjoys it so much. He has that beautiful kind of crazy where he can make the player love him more than hate him. Scratch reminds me of the Joker and Tyler Durden. All of these characters are insane yet confident and despite the chaos around them, they are the calm within it.
All in all, I was very pleased with how Mr. Scratch was portrayed in this, I couldn't have asked for a better evil half for Alan to go up against.
Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
L0cke89

Send a message via ICQ to L0cke89 Send a message via MSN to L0cke89

L0cke89's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I wish Sam Lake would've gone a little bit deeper into the character instead of just saying, yeah he is everything bad written about Wake and just a psycho. The scenes with him killing the victims are also a little bit cliche, though that might be point.

Don't know, I'm just expecting more from Lake considering his work on Max Payne 1&2. Alan Wake is a great character so I felt Mr. Scratch was a bit too boring. It would've been better if he got more insane throughout the game getting to the point were he can't controll himself.

1st on x360a to 200/200 Bastion and 400/400 THPS:HD
L0cke89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
HabsCen10ial

HabsCen10ial's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I thought Mr. Scratch was pretty bad ass. I loved flipping on the tv's in game to see what he was going to do.

Credit goes to Xerofox for the amazing Montreal Canadiens sig!

HabsCen10ial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
Zim

I really liked the one video where he is trying to reason with Alan talking about how he just wants what is best etc. Then loud music starts playing and is just like ''*sigh* forget it'' and starts making a weapon.
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #9
Darkforce412

darkforce412's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agusta1 View Post
Some men just want to watch the world burn.
did u get that qute from the dark night?
Old 02-28-2012, 05:04 AM   #10
Agusta1

Agusta1's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkforce412 View Post
did u get that qute from the dark night?
Yeah. That's what I thought when I read the motivation of Mr Scratch. He's a bit like the joker.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
wacko3.16

wacko316's Gamercard
He seems to be the villain I have always wanted to see in games. The only other fair reflection of him (I feel anyways) is the Joker from the Batman games. Some of the stuff Scratch pulls of is hilarious, yet he is meant to be freaking you out.

I dont know the actors name who plays Wake and Scratch but I do feel that he is the cause of the mixed feelings for me towards Scratch simply due to how good he portrayed his different emotions.

The Crotch pump though, that was freaking hilarious!!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
Annalie

Send a message via MSN to Annalie Send a message via Yahoo to Annalie

Sarena89's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Tyger7   Staff Club - Shinobi273   Staff Club - AOS Puck   1,000 Posts   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko3.16 View Post
He seems to be the villain I have always wanted to see in games. The only other fair reflection of him (I feel anyways) is the Joker from the Batman games. Some of the stuff Scratch pulls of is hilarious, yet he is meant to be freaking you out.

I dont know the actors name who plays Wake and Scratch but I do feel that he is the cause of the mixed feelings for me towards Scratch simply due to how good he portrayed his different emotions.

The Crotch pump though, that was freaking hilarious!!!!
His name is Ikka villi. he's a finish actor. he only models Alan, somebody else does the voice, ikka lip syncs well.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:12 AM   #13
SebbeG

SebbeG's Gamercard
Am I the only one that gets a bit of a Patrick Bateman vibe when I watch Scratch?

Anyway, he's brilliant in this game. They created a great villain
SebbeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
MoldyClay87

Send a message via AIM to MoldyClay87

MoldyClay87's Gamercard
I was actually disappointed in Mr. Scratch.

I thought he was the coolest thing ever prior to entering the game and I thought some of the stuff he wanted to do was awesome and I loved the line when he was like "YOU'RE GONNA SHIT YOURSELF WHEN YOU SEE WHAT I DID", but otherwise his comments when he appeared were just stupid, and his videos were hit or miss. I only liked the Barry/Alice ones and a few others. The party one and killing ones were actually not that interesting of entertaining to me, which is unfortunate.

And to make matters worse, and spoilers for anyone who hasn't finished yet, but I felt robbed of a boss fight with him. There was all that build to a final showdown and we didn't get one. I have no problem with how he was finished off, but there was never a fight with him, like Barbara Jagger (tornado), the Darkness/TVs or Imaginary Barry (the DLCs). Not even much of an enemy rush thing.

He also wasn't explored or explained enough. Granted, that's the nature of Alan Wake and being like a "show", we had something resolved (maybe) but other things were not. I assume the next XBLA title or Alan Wake 2 will elaborate more on what happened when Alan was gone, what Mr. Scratch was, and what Thomas Zane's been up to (and what he had to do with him and why he said "Don't worry about him").

I mean, I liked Mr. Scratch, but I had much higher expectations going into it and was disappointed. Definitely not the best ever, for me. D:

100% Retail: 21/78 ; 100% Arcade: 46/87
Most Recent: Clive Barker's Jericho ; Contrast
MoldyClay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #15
Aidexx

Aidexx's Gamercard
There should have been an achivement like boob tube on the first game for watching all the television shows. Well I still watched all of them and they were very entertaining, though.
Aidexx is offline   Reply With Quote