PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Adventure > Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Subscribe    Donate

Old 03-01-2012, 05:13 AM   #1
Uberpok3

Send a message via Skype™ to Uberpok3

Uberpok3's Gamercard
It is better to play the original AW before AWAN?

Okay. Never played Alan Wake before though it's on my wishlist.
I got AWAN because of the house party thingy, but I don't know if I give it a shot now and ruin the story and stuff.

What you think?

PS: I have no problems in waiting until I get AW and finish it to play AWAN, and it is probably what I'll be doing.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
Agusta1

Agusta1's Gamercard
Well Alan Wake establishes alot of the characters you hear about over the Radio in American Nightmare. It also establishes Alan's Motives.

But otherwise, American Nightmare has it's own unique characters, and isn't directly related to the first game.

Check Out my Shitty Videos On Youtube!
http://www.youtube.com/user/44Yuri44...4?feature=mhum
Agusta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
HabsCen10ial

HabsCen10ial's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I would play the original first and go for 100% if that is an option. Play American Nightmare second.

Credit goes to Xerofox for the amazing Montreal Canadiens sig!

HabsCen10ial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
cbko4

cbko4's Gamercard
I would definitely wait to play AWAN until you finished AW, IMO it would ruin the experience of AW if you played AWAN first. AW had a really good story and plot development to it, its worth a play on normal just for that.
cbko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
Annalie

Send a message via MSN to Annalie Send a message via Yahoo to Annalie

Sarena89's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Tyger7   Staff Club - Shinobi273   Staff Club - AOS Puck   1,000 Posts   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Always play the first game before any kind of spinoff or sequel.

Annalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Baihu1983

Baihu1983's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
You should play it anyways simply cause its damn good.

3rd November 2012 - Joined the 100K club

IF YOU SEND ME A FRIEND REQUEST OVER LIVE PLEASE ALSO SEND A MESSAGE SAYING WHY.

Raptar
Voice

Baihu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
FeatherbottomMR

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I would finish the first Alan Wake. It is a really great game.
FeatherbottomMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
Creazil

iCreazil UK's Gamercard
I played the original Alan Wake and I don't recall Mr. Scratch. I didn't play the DLC for the original game so I'm unsure if Mr. Scratch came in there, but this is a new storyline and through manuscripts it tells you about Barry Wheelman and Alice. The original game is a lot more asmopheric and creepy I think, though.

Either way, this is brilliant. Regardless of the fact you go to the same places to do the same things, it still feels different everytime you revisit a location. I'm loving this so far. I'm on my third and last time round.

Creazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:16 AM   #9
samjustsam

sam just sam's Gamercard
i would say just based on the gameplay and the type of game it is i would play the original first. it will give you plenty of time to get use to the games controls and setting. american nightmare plays the same as the first game so playing the first will have you more prepared to play american nightmare imo. the wake games are fun but the first took me a while to get into it. also knowing the characters makes playing american nightmare a bit more fun imo.
samjustsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
MoldyClay87

Send a message via AIM to MoldyClay87

MoldyClay87's Gamercard
AWAN is a stand-alone title, and it offers a little bit of backstory through the manuscripts and talking (in fact, he explains the story to one of the characters). However, regardless of what Remedy and some may try to tell you, I feel like it is vital you play the original and both DLC to fully make sense of it.

It won't make the game less fun, but you'll have way too many questions that will not be answered exactly if you play just AWAN first.

The original game establishes Alan Wake, his wife and Barry, all relevant and frequently mentioned in this. It also establishes the Darkness, Taken, Cauldron Lake and things that will eventually lead into what Mr. Scratch is.

There are also many other things that are referenced in AWAN (Old Gods of Asgard, Thomas Zane, Sheriff Breaker, Bright Falls, etc..)

I feel like something would be lost if you didn't play Alan Wake, both DLCs and American's Nightmare in that order.

It also teaches you the controls comfortably instead of just hoping you know them. And you'll probably appreciate the gameplay change going from AW to AWAN as opposed to AWAN and then AW, because certain things were upgraded and made more useful/convenient in AWAN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creazil View Post
I played the original Alan Wake and I don't recall Mr. Scratch. I didn't play the DLC for the original game so I'm unsure if Mr. Scratch came in there...
Mr. Scratch is in the end of Alan Wake for about 5 seconds. Thomas Zane also mentions him by name (without the record sound). Alan also asks about him in one of the DLC's and Zane doesn't explain or answer him.

100% Retail: 21/78 ; 100% Arcade: 46/87
Most Recent: Clive Barker's Jericho ; Contrast

Last edited by MoldyClay87; 03-27-2012 at 04:05 PM.
MoldyClay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:52 AM   #11
Ar53Nal89

AR53NAL89's Gamercard
My question is how long is the game? I loved the hell out of Alan Wake, and I've played the demo so far for AN, but if its only going to be a few hours worth of game time, should I even buy it, or just get the general idea of what is going on in the story from one of my friends?
Ar53Nal89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:19 AM   #12
Annalie

Send a message via MSN to Annalie Send a message via Yahoo to Annalie

Sarena89's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Tyger7   Staff Club - Shinobi273   Staff Club - AOS Puck   1,000 Posts   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
If you loved Alan Wake then you'll like this one to.

Annalie is offline   Reply With Quote