Geth 4 7.84%
Batarian 0 0%
Drell 7 13.73%
Volus 2 3.92%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
Eating Machine

What is your favourite race?

In response to the most disliked race in Mass Effect, I wanted to see what people would say what was their favourite race and see the difference. Some races maybe highly liked and disliked at the same time.

I could not find any threads like this so if this is a duplicate thread please delete and point me in the right direction.
Eating Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Rivercurse

Send a message via Skype™ to Rivercurse

Rivercurse's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Here's a post ME2 version.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...favourite+race

I'd find it hard to choose an overall favourite. If I was pushed right now i'd probably say turians.

"Everything we've ever known. It's all hanging by a thread."

Razor's EdgeDark WitnessRequiem

Rivercurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
Eating Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercurse View Post
Here's a post ME2 version.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...favourite+race

I'd find it hard to choose an overall favourite. If I was pushed right now i'd probably say turians.
Interesting how theres no real front runner, shows how they balanced the main characters of Asari, Turian, Krogan and Quarian. Also probably people have more attachment to those because they were squad mates from the first game.

Turian would be my close second choice, they drop a place because they are a little too cool/cold for my liking, Krogan show more emotion.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts
The blue guys who live long time, forget what they is called.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
Veedrock

Veedrock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Bronze   Genre Competition - First Place   Subscriber - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Humanity > all

In the other thread, people bastardized the Batarians because we really only encounter slavers and mercenaries, makes it hard to like them when we don't really get to know how they are a whole. I feel we're going to see the same here. The thing about most races is we learn about them through personal interactions, which doesn't represent the race as a whole all too well. We come to like the characters, which makes it easy to think you like their race; I know a lot of people love Tali, but the Quarians are complete dickwads. Turians as a whole are boring when you think about it. Not all Drell are badass assassins. Etc etc.

Wrex and the Krogan are probably the one exception.

The above post made me laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech View Post
As a site, we don't support calling it "xbone" as that was a name that was used to refer to the system in a negative light. Since the site exists to support the system, being deliberately negative towards it seems counter productive.

tl;dr - Call it the Xbox One or X1.

Last edited by Veedrock; 05-02-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Veedrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:42 AM   #6
TigerII

Reapers. All the current cycle species are whiny bitches.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #7
edgecrusherhalo

edgecrusher02's Gamercard
i honestly find it pretty much impossible to pick just one. i voted geth because i have always been fascinated with the idea of artificial intelligence gaining sentience and attempting to understand things about life and its place in the universe because they dont learn like organic life does.

i also thought what they did with EDI in that regard was very good too.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
sicklyplague

SicklyPlague's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Community Gaming - Bronze   XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
I voted Asari because i like the idea of an alien culture that is devoted to democracy so fully. That and every other race sort of fills the cookie cutter mold that different brands( tv shows movies etc) seem to take, the warrior race krogan and batarians and turians, the scientific race the salarians and to an extent the quarians, the machiene race the geth, the bankers/money/economic race the volus, and of course the humans. The drell are a cool race but you never really got as much info on them as you did the other races.

Thanks to MabusScarab for the Sig!
sicklyplague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #9
Inebriated Jedi
Sith Happens

Send a message via Skype™ to Inebriated Jedi

Inebriated Jedi's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   Staff Club - Inebriated Jedi   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff - Community and Events Team   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   Three Lives Remaining - Finalist   Donator - Level 1   Staff Club - AOS Puck   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - * Clueless *   XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 13 (more» ...)
The Krogan and the Geth for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicklyplague View Post
I voted Asari because i like the idea of an alien culture that is devoted to democracy so fully. That and every other race sort of fills the cookie cutter mold that different brands( tv shows movies etc) seem to take, the warrior race krogan and batarians and turians, the scientific race the salarians and to an extent the quarians, the machiene race the geth, the bankers/money/economic race the volus, and of course the humans. The drell are a cool race but you never really got as much info on them as you did the other races.
Huh? The asari are nothing special in that regard. You'll always find sexy alien girls in science fiction.

Friend requests without messages will be ignored!

Last edited by Inebriated Jedi; 05-16-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Inebriated Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
Eating Machine

I find it hard to form an opinion on the Drell, there is only two Drell that I have encountered, thats Thane and his son Kolyat. I have seen and encountered more Volus, Batarian, Elcor, Hanar, Reapers, Vorcha, Varren, Rachni, Threasher Maws, Pyjak, etc. Well im exagerating on most of this list because I never talked to a bunch of them seeing as they cant talk or didnt bother talking to me.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:40 AM   #11
sicklyplague

SicklyPlague's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Community Gaming - Bronze   XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Jedi View Post
The Krogan and the Geth for sure.

Huh? The asari are nothing special in that regard. You'll always find sexy alien girls in science fiction.
You seemed to have missed the point, was not commenting on the sexiness of them but there devotion to democracy or should i say an alien race that is so devoted to democracy.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
Eating Machine

Quote:
You seemed to have missed the point, was not commenting on the sexiness of them but there devotion to democracy or should i say an alien race that is so devoted to democracy.
Can you elaborate more on their devotion to democracy. Is it their devotion within their own race or democracy for all alien races.

Doesn't other races like humanity have democracy.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #13
Inebriated Jedi
Sith Happens

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   Staff Club - Inebriated Jedi   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff - Community and Events Team   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   Three Lives Remaining - Finalist   Donator - Level 1   Staff Club - AOS Puck   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - * Clueless *   XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts
Quote:
You said they didn't fit into a trope, which isn't true at all. While the asari are interesting in some aspects, I think they are one of the most generic alien species in the game.

Last edited by Inebriated Jedi; 05-19-2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: can't spell today.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:16 AM   #14
sicklyplague

SicklyPlague's Gamercard

Quote:
You said they didn't fit into a trope, which isn't true at all. While the asari are interesting in some aspects, I think they are one of the most generic alien species in the game.
I guess cookie cutter mold was a bad way to put it, a better way i suppose is that you can find many similarities between races in mass effect and races in other forms of media related to science fiction. What makes the asari to me( i want to emphasize the me part of this) my favorite race is because they as a race are devoted to democracy. As from my understanding the matriarchs because of there wisdom due to being close to a thousand years old are advisors to whoever leads the asari government. And while some (like matriarch atheyon, the bar tender on illium) are not listened to. Most Asari strive to do as much as they can in there young stages of life so when they become matriarchs they can help lead there people. I have not seen something like that in any species in any science fiction media i have watched/read.

Im hoping that clears it up and if not well in my mind it makes sense and i guess i cant always translate whats in my mind to a forum post.

Last edited by sicklyplague; 09-19-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:49 AM   #15
Inebriated Jedi
Sith Happens

Quote:
I guess cookie cutter mold was a bad way to put it, a better way i suppose is that you can find many similarieis between races in mass effect and races in other forms of media related to science fiction. What makes the asari to me( i want to emphasize this) my favorite race is because they as a race are devoted to democracy. As from my understanding the matriarchs because of there wisdom due to being close to a century old are advisors to whoever leads the asari government. And while some (like margarita atheyon, the bar tender on illium) are not listened to it seems many are.

Im hoping that clears it up and if not well in my mind it makes sense and i guess i cant always translate whats in my mind to a forum post.
Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining.

I just took offense to the cookie cutter thing because I felt like it wasn't a fair comment to make.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #16
sicklyplague

SicklyPlague's Gamercard

Quote:
Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining.

I just took offense to the cookie cutter thing because I felt like it wasn't a fair comment to make.
yeah i have a bad habit of using the wrong phrase for what i want to say. I'm glad i cleared it up for you .

Old 07-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #17
Chaz Of Sparta

Chaz Of Sparta's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Over Achiever - Bronze
Probably Turians. Asari, humans, Krogan and the Geth are some of my favourites too.
Chaz Of Sparta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #18
MasterBubs82

MasterBubs's Gamercard
I think all the races in Mass Effect have their ups and downs, but if I had to pick, I'd say the Asari though. That's not to say I hate Wrex & the Krogan (they're great characters), Garrus & the Turians, Tali & the Quarians, etc. etc. To be honest, without any of them, I don't think the Mass Effect universe would be diverse. I also pick the Asari because Liara's my LI with my main male Shepard.
MasterBubs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #19
Kathos Emera

Kathos Emera's Gamercard
My vote is based on an incredibly small sample size. Really, that's the problem I ran into in my considerations - how are we supposed to judge a whole species based on just a few individuals? Your impression of humanity would differ vastly if you only ever met a social worker, or a military commando, or a child trafficker. To get a "scientific" result on this, we'd need each species' equivalent of a 9-5 office worker with 2.3 children, which, um...wouldn't make for a great game.

Actually, I take that back. I would love to meet an office worker Krogan like that.
Kathos Emera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #20
erikepaios

erikepaios's Gamercard
I do not have a favorite. I found some particularly intellectually stimulating: the Geth, the Krogan (with the genophage considered), and the Salarians. Next would be the Asari (especially with their mating procedure) and the Quarians. I found the Turians rather dull.

The Volus and Hanar were basically absent, but Barla Von was one of my favorite side characters.
erikepaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #21
Rajeanero
Would you kindly

Rajeanero's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Rajeanero   Artist of the Month   Staff - Graphics Team   Subscriber - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Krogans. I like the story behind them and that they are the ultimate warmachines. They are my favorite MP characters, also. It's so much fun to go into melee combat with a Brute and rip them apart
Old 09-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #22
Viperspike

Viperspike's Gamercard
I liked the Krogan for their confidence and commitment to battle to get things done. The others are more cloak and dagger and its refreshing to have at least one race that is direct and you know where you stand with them.
Viperspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #23
Darth Grif55

Club Deadpool's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Staff Club - * Clueless *   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedrock View Post
Humanity > all

In the other thread, people bastardized the Batarians because we really only encounter slavers and mercenaries, makes it hard to like them when we don't really get to know how they are a whole. I feel we're going to see the same here. The thing about most races is we learn about them through personal interactions, which doesn't represent the race as a whole all too well. We come to like the characters, which makes it easy to think you like their race; I know a lot of people love Tali, but the Quarians are complete dickwads. Turians as a whole are boring when you think about it. Not all Drell are badass assassins. Etc etc.

Wrex and the Krogan are probably the one exception.

The above post made me laugh.
Not sure to why I'm replying to such an old post, but the only dickwad Quarians are the politicians. Quarians like Veetor & especially Kal Reegar (best side character IMO) were cool.

Sig by Spazaz Man
Darth Grif55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #24
Keranah

Iaera's Gamercard
I always had a love for the Krogan allies, but the Drell were just cool. Some of the Turians could just be royal arses when they wanted to be.
Keranah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:27 AM   #25
Voytek

xTMx Voytek's Gamercard
Toss up between Drell, Turian and Krogans. They're all so cool. I went with Drell just because you don't see many of them and Thane was sick (not saying Garrus and Wrex aren't awesome).
Voytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #26
Dr Stud027

Dr Stud027's Gamercard
The difficulty in picking a favorite race is a testament to the great writing by the writing staff of these games.
Dr Stud027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #27
PhoenixTemplar

PhoenixTemplar's Gamercard
Not a single person has picked my favorite: Salarians.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #28
Kyoujin

kyoujiin's Gamercard
I think they did a great job with the races in the series, at least most of them.

But turians are my favorite, hands down. Garrus Vakarian is one of my favorite characters in games, not just Mass Effect. I mean, come on.. the turians are pretty awesome. ;D

(Haven't updated my completion list in awhile, will do so soon!)

100% Retail: Alone in the Dark, Avatar, Call of Duty 4, CSI: Hard Evidence, Fallout 3 (1200), Halo 3 (1475), Left 4 Dead, Lost: Via Domus, NFS: Most Wanted, Quantum of Solace, Resident Evil 5, Sonic's UGC, Test Drive: Unlimited

100% Arcade: Duke Nukem 3D, Penny Arcade Episode 1, Penny Arcade Episode 2, Shadow Assault/Tenchu, The Maw

Kyoujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:44 PM   #29
S Luker 92

Rabid Sailor's Gamercard
Where is the option for gasbags? on Eden Prime.

RIP S Luker 92 Corrupted but never forgotten
S Luker 92 is offline   Reply With Quote