PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Mass Effect 3
Subscribe    Donate

Old 03-08-2012, 03:19 AM   #1
DragonusDarque

DarqueDragon143's Gamercard
Questions about "Galactic Readiness" percentages.

Two questions:
1. After playing some multiplayer, it went up to 55%. Then, I went to single player and, went I backed out to the main menu a couple hours later, it was down to 54%. Why did this drop?
2. Does this affect the single player, or is this tied to multiplayer only?
3. What exactly is this used for? Does it serve a practical purpose, or is it just a way to tie it into the single player a little more?
DragonusDarque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:54 AM   #2
Axel 360

axelquatripolar's Gamercard
2 - Bioware state several times that multi does affect on your ending, although you can get good ending without it you pretty much have to be a completionist and make the right decisions.

3 - Gives you Warasset or whatever the name is for points in the game. Those have an important role on the ending you receive.
Axel 360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:13 AM   #3
ll Mr Bubbles ll

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonusDarque View Post
Two questions:
1. After playing some multiplayer, it went up to 55%. Then, I went to single player and, went I backed out to the main menu a couple hours later, it was down to 54%. Why did this drop?
Readiness on the galaxy at War map will drop after time, so you must keep playing multiplayer to keep the % high, this stops everyone gaining 100% and then just stop playing multiplayer.

This affects singleplayer.

3. What exactly is this used for? Does it serve a practical purpose, or is it just a way to tie it into the single player a little more?
In singleplayer the whole purpose is to fight against the reaper and win. Now ill try my best to explain how this works (it can be complicated), as you scan planets/ accomplish side quests you gain War assests. These range from weaponry, star fleets and people (scientists etc..).
Now if you play singleplayer only your readiness will not rise above 50% meaning all your assests will only be 50% effective in the final battle. Im guessing this will still be enough to acheive a good ending as i dont think bioware would force you to play multiplayer to receive the best ending.
Example : you have 5000 in war assests but only 2500 will be effective.

But if you play multiplayer and raise your readiness to 100% across the galaxy then all of your 5000 war assests will be effective.
The exact number needed for the best ending is unknown, but my guess is the numbers will be tiered just like me2 where say :

10,000 - you lose most of assests in the final battle
20,000 - you only lose 25 % of assests in the final battle
30,000 - you dont lose any assests in the final battle

Just like the suicide mission in Me2 , if you dont meet certain requirements , you lose people/things in the final battle. Btw this is just what im guessing will happen.
But if this is true, then playing multiplayer will mean you will only need half the assests needed than someone who plays singleplayer only. ( Due to singleplayer 50% and multiplayer 100% )

As for me im making sure to do all side quests and scanning every planet for assests. Then im guessing there is a "point of no return" like Me2 which is where i will make a save then finish the game and see what happens. Then if needed ill reload the save and play multiplayer and see if the 100% readiness really does make a difference in the final battle.

Like i said it can be complicated and i hope im right and explained it as easily as i could. Seems stupid in my opinion, i can see how bioware tried to tie single player and multi experience together. But i would rather be able to gain 100% readiness and war assests for the perfect ending in singleplayer . Then just play multiplayer for fun and not be forced to play it for as i say "better singleplayer ending"
/10 characters
Old 03-08-2012, 05:23 AM   #4
DragonusDarque

DarqueDragon143's Gamercard
See, this makes no sense to me. I am aware Bioware stated several times that you can never touch multiplayer and still get the same single player experience, and that it would not affect the ending.
Your explanation suggests it will affect the ending, because I would not have enough readiness at the end of the game. In order to get the better ending, you have to play multiplayer, but they said that you could still get the best ending without ever touching multiplayer.
It seems that can still be done, but you will have to get every war asset in the game, and hope that is enough.
Also, it basically penalized me for playing the single player, because the readiness went down while I was playing the single player portion.
These are some odd design choices on Bioware's part. I love the game and still plan to play both single and multiplayer, but now I feel forced to play multi. It seems like Bioware is saying, "We spent a lot of time on this multiplayer thing, so play it for months, then start the single player campaign, or we will punish you!"
DragonusDarque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
ll Mr Bubbles ll

Well like i said you most likely will be able to get the best ending in the game, choosing to play singleplayer. But you will have to get every war assest, whereas if you play multiplayer you wont need to input as much effort into singleplayer to get the same result.

Ive just checked my assest status and the bar is full green and i only have a few planets to unlock (progression through main story). But as ive barely touched multiplayer (around 60% galaxy readiness) the dialogue states "poor chance" for the final battle which is weird as i have maxed the assests bar . Seems a complicated and weird way for bioware to work it out.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
Pay4NameChange

pay4namechange's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll Mr Bubbles ll View Post
/10 characters
TOO MUCH SPOILER INFO!!!

I didn't even want to know you fight a Reaper in Mass Effect 3 (although I assumed you would).

Must beat my ME2 Insane run-through first!
Complete Games: Assassin's Creed II, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Call of Duty 2, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Dead Space, Enchanted Arms, Fallout 3, Forza Motorsport 3, Halo: Reach, Magna Carta 2, Mass Effect 2, Need For Speed: Most Wanted, Prince of Persia: TFS, Quantum of Solace, Terminator Salvation, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Vanquish
Pay4NameChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
MyPetWorm

Elyoh's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay4NameChange View Post
TOO MUCH SPOILER INFO!!!

I didn't even want to know you fight a Reaper in Mass Effect 3 (although I assumed you would).

If you didn't know that you fought a Reaper in ME3, then you haven't guessed anything xD I am yet to play it, but it's pretty obvious...

First in the World to finish Dungeon Siege III
First in the Southern Hemisphere to finish Mass Effect 3, Age of Empires Online and Babel Rising

Writer of the Dungeon Sige III and Babel Rising guides
MyPetWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
soundlessb00m

soundlessb00m's Gamercard
Straight from the developer:

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I've seen some posts where there is a bit of confusion about the ability to get the "perfect ending" by only playing single-player, because if you don't play multiplayer (or the iOS game, Infiltrator) your Galactic Readiness stays at 50%.

You do NOT have to play multiplayer to get the best single-player endings.

Here's a bit of clarification:

Your ending(s) are determined by your "Effective Military Strength" (let's call it EMS for now) bar. Focus on that bar - that is your indicator of how well you will do in the end-game.

You can maximize your EMS just by collecting War Assets in the single-player game. There is a certain threshhold of these you would need to exceed (I can't get too specific) but I can tell you there are MORE than the required amount that can be gathered in the single-player campaign.

"Galactic Readiness" is a modifier you can improve by playing multiplayer. That is to say, if you play a lot of multiplayer, you will need less War Assets from single-player to fill up your EMS bar (ie it will balance out the requirements to account for you playing in both modes). Single-player game play does not impact that bar.

EMS = success. EMS can be maximized via collecting war assets alone, even if your Galactic Readiness is 50%.
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to.../index/9665384
soundlessb00m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #9
Axel 360

axelquatripolar's Gamercard
Now Im more confuse XDXDXDXD
Axel 360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:40 AM   #10
ColdSpider72

ColdSpider72's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Think of it this way......The higher you build up the readiness percentage from playing multiplayer, the higher score you get from every asset you collect. Sooooo.....if you got an asset in the game worth 50 points, if you had raised the multiplier (the readiness % that starts at 50) then you would have gotten even more points when you got that asset to go towards your progress bar (the blue bar that has a 'minimum' on the bottom of the page in the war asset screen).

So again, you get that 50 point asset, but raised your readiness percent to 100% instead of 50% before you got it....well, now it is worth 100 points instead of 50. So basically, it helps you get to your total required minimum faster instead of doing every single side objective that you would need in order to build up the score with a lower multiplier.

My score is something like 3000 so far (I am still early in the game). Had I gotten my readiness multiplier up in multiplayer to 100%, then my total score would be 6000 so far.

I am pretty sure this is how it works.

Last edited by ColdSpider72; 03-09-2012 at 01:44 AM.
ColdSpider72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:17 AM   #11
ll Mr Bubbles ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay4NameChange View Post
TOO MUCH SPOILER INFO!!!

You fight the reapers not A REAPER, and tbh if you havent guessed that by know and/or after playing the demo. Also if you havent finished the 2nd i would advise not reading through the Mass effect 3 forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundlessb00m View Post
Straight from the developer:
Hi everyone,

I've seen some posts where there is a bit of confusion about the ability to get the "perfect ending" by only playing single-player, because if you don't play multiplayer (or the iOS game, Infiltrator) your Galactic Readiness stays at 50%.

You do NOT have to play multiplayer to get the best single-player endings.

Here's a bit of clarification:

Your ending(s) are determined by your "Effective Military Strength" (let's call it EMS for now) bar. Focus on that bar - that is your indicator of how well you will do in the end-game.

You can maximize your EMS just by collecting War Assets in the single-player game. There is a certain threshhold of these you would need to exceed (I can't get too specific) but I can tell you there are MORE than the required amount that can be gathered in the single-player campaign.

"Galactic Readiness" is a modifier you can improve by playing multiplayer. That is to say, if you play a lot of multiplayer, you will need less War Assets from single-player to fill up your EMS bar (ie it will balance out the requirements to account for you playing in both modes). Single-player game play does not impact that bar.

EMS = success. EMS can be maximized via collecting war assets alone, even if your Galactic Readiness is 50%.
See this is what doesnt make sense, im nearing the end of the game (i think) and i have every assest apart from 1 i missed in a side quest, now my green bar is maxed out. But on the info is still says "poor chance" because i havent touched the multiplayer so my multiplier is 0.5x
Old 03-09-2012, 02:50 AM   #12
jkthunder

jkthunder's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll Mr Bubbles ll View Post
See this is what doesnt make sense, im nearing the end of the game (i think) and i have every assest apart from 1 i missed in a side quest, now my green bar is maxed out. But on the info is still says "poor chance" because i havent touched the multiplayer so my multiplier is 0.5x
That does sound strange. I'll be interested to see how efficient or well your endgame goes (without too many specifics - I'm taking ME3 slow ). I wasn't planning on bothering with multiplayer until after I've played through in SP at least once, so I'm hoping that official quote about War Assets is true.
jkthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:10 AM   #13
Xavier0080

Xavier0080's Gamercard
For the best ending you apparently need 5000 Galactic readiness (according to ME3 wiki on IGN) However that point total doesn't exist as Galactic readiness is a percentage system. So does anyone know if you need 5000 Total Military strength or 5000 Effective military strength. I've done just about everything (except the n7 missions) and my TMS is at like 7000, which makes me think that its impossible to get your EMS to 5000 without playing the multiplayer. This entire system is garbage, overcomplicated, and obtrusive to those who just want to play SP, which is exactly what Bioware said they were avoiding.
Xavier0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:30 AM   #14
Crims0nPenguin

Crims0n Penguin's Gamercard
Not going to post spoilers but it will have an effect in the game specifically the ending...
Crims0nPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:51 AM   #15
Healtti

Healtti's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier0080 View Post
For the best ending you apparently need 5000 Galactic readiness (according to ME3 wiki on IGN) However that point total doesn't exist as Galactic readiness is a percentage system. So does anyone know if you need 5000 Total Military strength or 5000 Effective military strength. I've done just about everything (except the n7 missions) and my TMS is at like 7000, which makes me think that its impossible to get your EMS to 5000 without playing the multiplayer.
Well, I can confirm that 5000 TMS isn't enough. I did all possible main, side and fetch quests and totaled with 6300 TMS i.e. 3150 EMS. I kinda half-assed the random planet scanning, but I still can't believe that by mopping up the nebulas I'd go from my current 3150 to 5000 EMS without multiplayer...

According to the war room comp. 3000 EMS gives you 50/50 odds. I noticed it changed around that mark from "low but possible" to "evenly possible". What's your odds description at 3500 EMS, Xavier?

P.S. Yeah the whole MP malarkey seems to have developed from unnecessary garbage to unavoidable garbage. I am disappoint.

Last edited by Healtti; 03-09-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Healtti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:21 AM   #16
mrgstiffler

Send a message via AIM to mrgstiffler

mrgstiffler's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Healtti View Post
Well, I can confirm that 5000 TMS isn't enough. I did all possible main, side and fetch quests and totaled with 6300 TMS i.e. 3150 EMS. I kinda half-assed the random planet scanning, but I still can't believe that by mopping up the nebulas I'd go from my current 3150 to 5000 EMS without multiplayer...

According to the war room comp. 3000 EMS gives you 50/50 odds. I noticed it changed around that mark from "low but possible" to "evenly possible". What's your odds description at 3500 EMS, Xavier?

P.S. Yeah the whole MP malarkey seems to have developed from unnecessary garbage to unavoidable garbage. I am disappoint.
You missed a lot of stuff then. I'm at 6469/3234 and I'm not even finished with Act II.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #17
Direkin

Direkin's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Shinobi273   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Rajeanero   Staff Club - DEG23   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Submit - Bronze   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun72 View Post
Think of it this way......The higher you build up the readiness percentage from playing multiplayer, the higher score you get from every asset you collect. Sooooo.....if you got an asset in the game worth 50 points, if you had raised the multiplier (the readiness % that starts at 50) then you would have gotten even more points when you got that asset to go towards your progress bar (the blue bar that has a 'minimum' on the bottom of the page in the war asset screen).

So again, you get that 50 point asset, but raised your readiness percent to 100% instead of 50% before you got it....well, now it is worth 100 points instead of 50. So basically, it helps you get to your total required minimum faster instead of doing every single side objective that you would need in order to build up the score with a lower multiplier.

My score is something like 3000 so far (I am still early in the game). Had I gotten my readiness multiplier up in multiplayer to 100%, then my total score would be 6000 so far.

I am pretty sure this is how it works.
It's not. 100% of 50 is 50. For a 50 point war asset to be 100 you'd need 200% readiness, which isn't physically possible... not to mention absurd. For the starting readiness of 50%, your 50 point war asset would give you an effective rating of 25. What's important in the final battle is your Effective Military Strength, which is based on your Readiness Rating and Total Military Strength. It's a very basic formula:

EMS = TMS x RR

My TMS is 7065 (it was 7125 earlier, so not sure what I did wrong there) and RR is 98%, so EMS is 6923.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabba View Post
The mirror is staring right at the post which reads you are............. So hilarious that english makes them their posting.... Well done cheevo for confirming that you....... You must be drunk to not realise that or just another incoherent fool..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gackt View Post
heh...don't try to reason with the masses my friend, tis a waste of time
Direkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #18
Der Nacho

DER NACHO's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - TemporalWizard

I think they just mean that by play mp, you won't have to collect as many assets

And you'll still get the good ending.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #19
GenericNPC

Im Dan Hibiki's Gamercard
I completed the game doing almost all of the side missions and scanning every planet I could, I had WAY more than enough assets to get the full ending and my rediness was only at 50% my total strength was about 7000ish having only 3500 effective, the entire success bar was full
Old 03-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #20
Xavier0080

Xavier0080's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Nacho View Post

I think they just mean that by play mp, you won't have to collect as many assets

And you'll still get the good ending.

We understand this. The problem is that At the point of no return, the maximum i've seen someone say they have is like 3600 EMS. Thats 800 TMS away from the best ending, and 1800 away from the highest ranking. I don't want a "good" ending, I want the best ending. I have played through ME1 over 16 times, with multiple 100% playthroughs, and about half that for ME2. I completed about 90% of the sidequests in SP with 100% runs in ME 1&2. If that doesn't deserve the best ending what does?

At this point i played about 4 hours of MP and got my GR% up to 79% so I'm up at 5300ish EMS. Bioware stated you didn't need to play MP to get the best ending, and right now it looks like they were lying, or are not being forthcoming about earning these assets. Its most likely possible to get the highest ending by playing SP only, but its not probable unless you know exactly what you're doing in ME 1-3 and take certain Ren/Par choices depending on which gives greater assets.

I had to quit playing SP tonight to grind up my GR% in order to get the best ending. That is what Bioware promised would not need to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenericNPC View Post
I completed the game doing almost all of the side missions and scanning every planet I could, I had WAY more than enough assets to get the full ending and my rediness was only at 50% my total strength was about 7000ish having only 3500 effective, the entire success bar was full
3500 EMS is not the best ending. 4000 EMS is, as long as you make a certain choice during the final mission. 5000 EMS Lets you get the best ending regardless of that choice.

Last edited by Xavier0080; 03-09-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Xavier0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #21
RyanStimo

Ryan D Stimo's Gamercard
It seems silly to add the multiplayer to the readiness.

What happens down the line when the multiplayer becomes dead and you are resorted to playing by yourself over and over on each map for each playthrough you do.

The best ending WILL be available on just story mode for this reason (hopefully) as i intend to play this game all the way through sucessfully many, many time like i have the previous two.
RyanStimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #22
lkraan

RedLeeder's Gamercard
You can also increase your readiness with the new iOS game "Mass Effect: Infiltrator"
lkraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #23
jrmtz85

jrmtz85's Gamercard
Here's a new question:

Is Galactic Readiness tied to a specific save, gamertag, or how does it work?

I ask this because some friends want to do some MP tonight, and I haven't had time to start the game yet. So, will not having started the SP in any way affect me being able to play the MP or my stats in it?

Thanks
jrmtz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #24
jules the great

Send a message via AIM to jules the great

OldSchoolJules's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
So I have around 6000 War Assets I think, and I have 94% readiness. This is enough to get the best ending then?
Old 03-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #25
VELVETxASSASSIN

Ms Velvet's Gamercard
My readiness is not going up at all. I played multiplayer for a few hrs n had 4 extractions n it still says its at 50% n im getting nuttin but system offline. galactic map isnt available or something to that extent. Does any1 have any suggestions on this? I put in my code obviouly or else i wouldnt be able to play multiplayer at all.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #26
Durdens Wrath

DURDENS WRATH's Gamercard
Your readiness has no efffect on the game. You get the same 3 endings no matter how high you get your score. I'll repeat, NOT ONE SINGLE CHOICE YOU MADE IN ANY OF THE THREE GAMES MATTER.

Durdens Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #27
hotdogenigma

ToastiestCape0's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonusDarque View Post
Two questions:

That's pretty fucked up too. I know I won't be able to play the game everyday, so I get penalized for this? I understand it won't drop below 50%. What a stupid decision to put a shitty mode into a game like this.
hotdogenigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #28
Syrette

rolemodel86's Gamercard
Are there different achievements for different endings?

Or do none (or most/all etc) of the choices you make during the game affect what achievements you will get?
Old 03-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #29
Durdens Wrath

DURDENS WRATH's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrette View Post
Are there different achievements for different endings?

Or do none (or most/all etc) of the choices you make during the game affect what achievements you will get?
Only insanity difficulty. No choice in any game changes the outcome

Durdens Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #30
ll Mr Bubbles ll

i can confirm if you get all war assests without playing multiplayer you are still given the option for the ""perfect ending"