PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Assassin's Creed II
Subscribe    Donate

Old 10-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
KyKy

KillswitchKyren's Gamercard
I hated the first. Worth buying?

I hated the first Assassin's Creed. I found it really boring and repetitive so I gave up. I have read several reviews/critics say that this game shouldn't be judged by the first and is significantly better. So is this really the case? How so?
Old 10-26-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
Minty

Send a message via MSN to Minty Send a message via Skype™ to Minty

Minty x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Minty   x360a Representer   Referrals - Gold   15,000 Posts   GamerScore League Season 9 Winner   PAX Meet 2010   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   GSL 8 MVP   Donator - Level 5   x360a Book Club   Submit - Bronze   Bright Idea
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)
Well if free running and killing people isn't your cup of tea, then you're not going to like this one either. The principle is the same, its just far better executed.

Depends on the reasons you didn't like the first.

Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
whiteraven

Florin Corbu's Gamercard
Smile

Is not that repetitive and yes is way better than the first one...And, is not only about killing..
whiteraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
Freddie Bert

Send a message via MSN to Freddie Bert Send a message via Skype™ to Freddie Bert

Freddie Bert's Gamercard
The main character has much more personality then Altair did, you also get to see his motivations and him becoming an assassin which adds to that. The combat is improved and the repetitive pickpocket/eavesdrop/brawl stuff is gone and replaced with more unique stuff.

On top of that, the story and graphics are improved as well, with some great twists thrown in especially near the end. Overall it's a much better game and definitely worth getting over the first, though you might want to read a wiki article on the first games plot and perhaps watch a couple end game videos to get caught up on the story.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
KrossWinter

KrossWinter's Gamercard
The basic concept of stalking your opponent and killing them is still the same, but the overall gameplay is so much better. Theres no fetching a million and two flags, just 50 feathers scattered about. There's a whole economy system, smoother fights, and generally it is simply better executed. No assassination is the same.

The plotline is a very well written, with twists and turns and Ezio (the main character) has so much more depth than Altair did. Plenty of sidequests too if you want to take a break from the plot as well.

This game isn't a rent like Assassin's Creed was. Number two is so much better, and you will enjoy it by far.
KrossWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:35 AM   #6
ImaginaryRuins

imaginaryruins's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrossWinter View Post
The basic concept of stalking your opponent and killing them is still the same, but the overall gameplay is so much better. Theres no fetching a million and two flags, just 50 feathers scattered about. There's a whole economy system, smoother fights, and generally it is simply better executed. No assassination is the same.

The plotline is a very well written, with twists and turns and Ezio (the main character) has so much more depth than Altair did. Plenty of sidequests too if you want to take a break from the plot as well.

This game isn't a rent like Assassin's Creed was. Number two is so much better, and you will enjoy it by far.
Can't agree more. Besides AC2 has ranked top among many critics as well.

I particularly enjoyed those sidequest assassination contracts. There are a lot of them in AC2 and all of them are different. I remember very well there was one that required me to kill 10 heavy-armoured guards, in 60s. This mission really requires skills as well as luck. I had to replay no less than 10 times to get the feeling but I was so happy when I cleared it, very rewarding.

10000G for 10 games on 7/12/2010
20000G for 20 games on 9/8/2011
30000G for 30 games on 6/5/2012
40000G for 40 games on 24/9/2012
50000G for 50 games on 19/5/2013
60000G for 60 games on 12/1/2014

ImaginaryRuins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
yourpappi1

Yourpappi's Gamercard
im also planning on buying it but after a while on the first one it did get repetative and i stopped playing it. should i continue to play the first one to get ready for the second one or they diff. stories all together?
yourpappi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
ARZ

Arz's Gamercard
I didn't care much for the first one either - but the second one I am having a blast with!
ARZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #9
donkeyshow555

donkeyshow555's Gamercard
it is much like the first one, long and repetitive..
donkeyshow555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
EoN

EoNoob's Gamercard
Although the first Assasin's Creed was repetitive, the second one has improved alot. So, i would recommend getting the sequel, even if you hated the first.
EoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:42 PM   #11
Heather V says

Pigwidgeon 7001's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
I was in the same position as you. I liked the first one for about 5 minutes until I realized I'd be doing the same thing over and over again. Then I despised the game completely. For the longest time I was on the fence about getting the second one and then gamestop had it on sale for $30 so I went for it. Seriously, it's one of the best games I've played. I'm super glad I gave it a chance even though I hated the first one. You should definitely get it.

Heather V says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:14 AM   #12
Cactuszach

Cactuszach's Gamercard
Well, the story honestly is obtuse and doesn't makes sense, while asking you to buy some pretty ridiculous ideas. Its about as smart and clever as Transformers 2.
Cactuszach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #13
Spanish Assault

Send a message via Skype™ to Spanish Assault

Spanish Assault's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   Micro Guide - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   10,000 posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
While this one is an improvement over the first, if you hated the first one you have no reason to buy this one.

"It is done then. Your schemes, like you, are put to rest." - Altaļr Ibn La-Ahad
Spanish Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #14
eemajorpain

I loved the first one and this just added more to the original. If you didn't enjoy it, then you won't like this one either.
eemajorpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:43 AM   #15
Prelude2disastr

Prelude2disastr's Gamercard
I disagree with the above. The concept is the same, obviously, but the execution is far improved. There's a paced story, character development beyond your general expectations and a load of side-quests.

This game has a lot to offer and considering nowadays you can pick up the GOTY edition for £20, it's a great addition to any games collection.
Prelude2disastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #16
TehEmerald

Danny M LFC's Gamercard
Brilliant game. Quite cheap now aswell, even though if you didnt like the concept of the first, this isnt going to be your favourite game.
TehEmerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #17
TheNarrator23

TheNarrator23's Gamercard
i didn't like the first either, but bought the second one on a friday and freaked on it until monday morning. game is awesome
TheNarrator23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:37 AM   #18
SgtBooyaka

Sgtbooyaka's Gamercard
So much better than the 1st. Cooler weapons, better story, achievements that aren't as annoying. I hated getting all the flags in AC1
SgtBooyaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:45 AM   #19
Glitch in the System

GlitchNDaSystem's Gamercard
Simple answer, Yes. Long answer, Yes!!!!
Glitch in the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:01 AM   #20
Cod Master

raptormist's Gamercard
Yes!!!!!! It was a amazing game

Colorado Avalanche
Cod Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #21
jedi420j

jedi420j's Gamercard
I hated the first game but love the second one.. much better story and overall it felt almost more like an open world RPG than the ultra repetitive AC1..
jedi420j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:31 AM   #22
essecks

essechoplex's Gamercard
I think I'm the opposite - I loved the first one (until I hit the achievement glitches with flags and templars), but was kind of bored with the second one.

It was entertaining, but not excellent.
essecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:23 AM   #23
ryuk1994

ryuk1994's Gamercard
The 2nd 1 is awesome. its not as repetitive as the 1st
ryuk1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:38 PM   #24
DESTRO5

RisottoRage's Gamercard
Better than the first.

DESTRO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #25
Deadly Moves
Banned User

Deadly Moves's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
It all depends on how much your hated the 1st. if the only thing you hated was how repetetive it was, then you might like the 2nd. But if it was more than that. i wouldnt bother.
Deadly Moves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #26
Scholesy22

Scholesy City's Gamercard
I found the AC1 repetitive and boring too, AC2 is much improved, looking forward to giving AC3 a bash on Xmas day .

Scholesy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #27
lakersandangels

lakersandangels's Gamercard
Did you finish AC1? If you didn't then I wouldn't bother playing the sequel. If you didn't enjoy AC1 at all, then you probably won't feel much better about AC2.
lakersandangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #28
hydrosugar

xFightingSaintx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
well i juust skipped to the 2nd one and looked up the first's plot on wikipedia. im having fun ive beaten the game and now against my better judgement i collecting all the feathers ect

although for what its worth the game is very easy. this is my first ac game ans i wasnt really challenged. but i never felt like that was the idea and it was still fun. just like the 2008 PoP(which this game shares similar platforming with) it is easy but still manages to be fun.

Last edited by hydrosugar; 12-25-2010 at 01:07 PM.
hydrosugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #29
Barad
High on Life

Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Platinum   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Achievement Guide - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Staff Club - troy0891
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
If you hated the first you'll hate this too. Both are aweosme games though!

---
10,000 Achievements - 13 July 2014

Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #30
Wortsenawl

wortsenawl's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
I finished the 1st game at the beginning of December (aside the feathers and templars) and asked for ACII for Christmas (10 quid for the complete edition, bargain!), anyway... number 2 is great fun and has a decent mix of stealth and guns (literally) ablazing options.

I agree with all the comments regarding the first AC being a little boring and originally I put the game down at the end of sequence 2. The idea of replaying the same 6 or side missions each sequence along with all the feathers and templars made me feel like the game was one long grind. However, I really liked the graphics and loved the free running and views from the high points. I picked up the game for a second outing and manage to just 'get on' with the repetition and just enjoy the game for what it was and get immersed in the story (albeit with a very predictable ending).

In short, 2 is much like 1, but bigger and better and much, much more diverse in the types of missions you get involved with. Personally though, I could do without the economics.

Join Now!

Completed Games - [70] - Retail [54] - Arcade [16]:
**Most Recent**
Mafia II (all DLC)
LoTR: War in the North
Batman Arkham City (+CW DLC)
Track n Field
Secret of Monkey Island: SE
Dark Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromiumDragon View Post
First, let me say...you deserve to be banned, mocked, and flogged to death with a bag of dicks.
Wortsenawl is offline   Reply With Quote