Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Mass Effect 3
Subscribe    Donate

Old 03-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Grifter Reborn

Send a message via Skype™ to Grifter Reborn

Grifter x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Emerald   CABS Beta Tester   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   x360a Representer   Road Map - Bronze   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Useful or Useless?

With changes in the mission log no longer tracking your step by step progress, I was considering making a full mission guide with locations of each items, persons, etc.

However, I'm wrestling with two things before doing so.
1- Would our community here even consider such a guide useful?
2- Time constraints may take a couple of weeks, which means most would've finished at least 1 playthrough if not more.

Feedback is appreciated. And no, you won't hurt my "feelings" whatever those are.

Change is inevitable.

Grifter Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
Hansathan

Hansathan's Gamercard
I personally think it would be very useful. The codex not updating as you progress is more than a minor annoyance. I got used to it in the prior two games, and to not include it seems downright lazy. Plus, many people will be buying this game for months/years to come, so if it won't be finished within a few weeks, those future players will find it useful.

Hans(nickname) + Jonathan("real" name) = Hansathan
Hansathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
Opiate42

Location: Canada, likely stuck in a snowdrift...with no shovel

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Rajeanero   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Agreed, the in-game journal is ... lacking or at the very least not very helpful.

Grifter, what you're proposing would be insanely useful.

I was hoping Teryx would have his usual checklist up as a work in progress but evidently as yet no plans to begin an ME3 list. Found his ME and ME2 lists very helpful, well organized and detailed.

"Hit it"
Opiate42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
jedijaxpavan

ZOMBIFIED glory's Gamercard
Thumbs up

This mission log is really pissing me off. Like they said above, it would be helpful for future players.
In sure I'll miss a few side quests in this playthrough anyway.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
Scotty
Shut up and Kiss Me!!

Scotty x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   Donator - Level 4   2,500 Posts   Subscriber - Gold   x360a Representer   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - DeekBoy   CABS Beta Tester   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   Road Map - Gold   Achievement Guide - Silver   Micro Guide - Emerald
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)
you should go for it. it'll be a top thread if done properly. maybe even sticky worthy.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
Hoborg
Banned User

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Go for it. I was just thinking the same thing yesterday: why is there no guide?
Hoborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
Andrewken

Andrewken's Gamercard
Does anyone know if its a glitch that it doesn't update or a design flaw? It really throws me off when I go to check for a update only to find the same information as when I first started a quest.
Andrewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
SIMPLYMIDGET

simplymidget's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Yes, very useful.

Don't waste time pulling off the petals. Cut off the head. - Spirit of Summer, Ryse

SIMPLYMIDGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
The Pants Party
You're Not Invited

Za Pantsupati's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Diamond   Staff - Super Moderator   Micro Guide - Platinum   15,000 Posts   Staff Club - Never Final   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - The Pants Party   Staff Club - AOS Puck   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   Referrals - Gold
Total Awards: 20 (more» ...)
The only problem I have is that I can't remember if I got the item the dude wanted or not. It would have been a huge help if there was any sort of marker to show the quest was ready to turn in.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
The Pants Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #10
FFFreak1129

FFFreak1129's Gamercard

Yes it would be very useful. The Journal as it is isn't very helpful. I got used to be able to go back to see how the mission progress is going and what I need to do and all that. I wonder why they changed it for this game. Seems like such a small thing to get rid of and it was useful.
FFFreak1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
Grifter Reborn

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Emerald   CABS Beta Tester   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   x360a Representer   Road Map - Bronze   A+ Thread Award
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewken View Post
Does anyone know if its a glitch that it doesn't update or a design flaw? It really throws me off when I go to check for a update only to find the same information as when I first started a quest.
Seeing as how it's a "universal" issue, I'm gonna say it's a design flaw that was overlooked rather than a glitch. That's speculation on my part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pants Party View Post
The only problem I have is that I can't remember if I got the item the dude wanted or not. It would have been a huge help if there was any sort of marker to show the quest was ready to turn in.
That got on my nerves too. It took me awhile to figure out when visiting the citadel, instead of wondering all levels aimlessly to see if there was anyone I should speak with, that I could simply bring up map in pause menu and use and to see any added names I needed to talk to for mission turn-ins. *facepalm* Not one of my finer moments.

So far, the responses have been positive, so I'll get started on one soon. Hopefully I'll have it up in a couple of weeks, but if someone beats me to it, no hard feelings.

Change is inevitable.

Last edited by Grifter Reborn; 03-12-2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Needed it
Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
CIF

BloodngunsMrphy's Gamercard
It would be very helpful. Not only do you have to remember if you've found this or that out in the galaxy (or during a mission), but you acquire some quests before their respective cluster shows up (Hades Nexus, for ex.), and I had no idea where to go for certain ones (tell me where the Elcor homeworld is!).

Plus, there are always new people getting a game, so it would reduce clutter on the forum.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
Andrewken

Andrewken's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter Reborn View Post
Seeing as how it's a "universal" issue, I'm gonna say it's a design flaw that was overlooked rather than a glitch. That's speculation on my part.
Ahh ok which is weird because the Journal was fine in ME/ME2 which leads me onto another thing that's been annoying me which is the fact that main missions/important side missions are lumped in together with the tons of fetch quest missions that you get from walking around on the Citadel and so on sometimes making it difficult to get to what you want straight away.

With that said I think what you're doing is a pretty cool idea.
Andrewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:06 AM   #14
Grifter Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIF View Post
I had no idea where to go for certain ones (tell me where the Elcor homeworld is!).
Just in case:
Spoiler! (click here to reveal)

Also, my current mission log is at 62 entries and I know there's quite a few more, so yeah... Like I said, couple of weeks to get it done. But I promise, it'll be rather impressive.

Change is inevitable.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:53 AM   #15
DEG23
Второй акт

DEG23 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff Club - DEG23   Donator - Level 5   CABS Beta Tester   Staff - Moderator   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Rajeanero   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Nozza x360a
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewken View Post
thing that's been annoying me which is the fact that main missions/important side missions are lumped in together with the tons of fetch quest missions that you get from walking around on the Citadel
I can't stand the "fetch" missions, it brakes the flow of the story so badly.

"I'm Commander Shepard and i'm trying to rally all forces in the galaxy but i'd be happy to travel into Reaper space to fetch your missing book little Volus"????

Quote:
Like I said, couple of weeks to get it done. But I promise, it'll be rather impressive.
....But i want it now.

Seriously, cheers for doing this, i have a feeling i have missed a few missions and wouldn't mind doing a solid playthrough, your guide would be welcomed.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:25 AM   #16
DarkReign2021
Banned User

DarkReign2021's Gamercard

I think a lot of people would benefit from it. Particularly knowing when a system opens up for people to complete their secondaries and which items require you to buy it from the Spectre facility (I've noticed a good few people forget it even exists and don't check it for objectives. I would never think to check it if I didn't know better.)
DarkReign2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:27 AM   #17
13ip0lar

Zweipolig's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Quote:
So far, the responses have been positive, so I'll get started on one soon. Hopefully I'll have it up in a couple of weeks, but if someone beats me to it, no hard feelings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEG23 View Post
....But i want it now.

Seriously, cheers for doing this, i have a feeling i have missed a few missions and wouldn't mind doing a solid playthrough, your guide would be welcomed.
I agree. This timetable is unacceptable. Please quit your job and focus all your energy towards this guide. K thx!

Seriously though, the sooner the better. I won't be needing it but I'm sure there are plenty of people who will be eternally grateful.

I hate people... But don't worry, if you are reading this it likely means I don't hate you. Why? People can't read.

13ip0lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:39 AM   #18
fastNcurious

I think such a guide would be extremely helpful.

Quote:
It took me awhile to figure out when visiting the citadel, instead of wondering all levels aimlessly to see if there was anyone I should speak with, that I could simply bring up map in pause menu and use and to see any added names I needed to talk to for mission turn-ins.
That may not work all the time though (hence why a guide would be useful). I just finished "Nimbus Cluster: Library of Asha" by submitting the item to this person in Purgatory, but this person never showed up on the map. Only Joker, EDI, and Aria were listed as being in Purgatory. It's totally possible my game is glitched though....
fastNcurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #19
Opiate42

Location: Canada, likely stuck in a snowdrift...with no shovel

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Rajeanero   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastNcurious View Post
That may not work all the time though (hence why a guide would be useful). I just finished "Nimbus Cluster: Library of Asha" by submitting the item to this person in Purgatory, but this person never showed up on the map. Only Joker, EDI, and Aria were listed as being in Purgatory. It's totally possible my game is glitched though....
I experienced that too. Didn't notice until I walked by on my way out and a conversation circle popped up on a person. There is some interesting bugs cropping up, for me it's been mostly graphical, I thought it was hilarious when I came across Jacob, he turns to empty space and says hi to an invisible Liara.

Just last night was trying to talk to Barla Von to get his quest, and couldn't get the conversation circle to appear. Had to leave to another area then come back and it worked.

"Hit it"
Opiate42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #20
Grifter Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiate42 View Post
I experienced that too. Didn't notice until I walked by on my way out and a conversation circle popped up on a person. There is some interesting bugs cropping up, for me it's been mostly graphical, I thought it was hilarious when I came across Jacob, he turns to empty space and says hi to an invisible Liara.

Just last night was trying to talk to Barla Von to get his quest, and couldn't get the conversation circle to appear. Had to leave to another area then come back and it worked.
Yea I've experienced a ridiculous amount of graphical bugs, along with loading freezes and my favorite, unfinished design flaws (like the mission log). Obviously this game wasn't near where it should've been for the release date which makes me wonder what was the reason(s) for keeping the date and for it not being 100% ready in time.

Change is inevitable.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #21
Grifter Reborn

Okay. So here's what I currently have for the Guide layouts:

Mission Name- info for how the mission is started (added to mission log)
Details- This is your checklist of things to do (like the old mission logs)
End- This is when your mission ends or where to "turn it in" (the final check on the checklist) to have it "grayed" out.
Rewards- these are potential rewards for mission complete, but not the items found within a mission (such as finding a weapon mod won't be listed, but the credits, XP, rep, and/or paragon/renegade points are)
Disk- #1 or 2, to help limit "disk swapping"

I'm also including the conversations in order as well for both the characters (squad & NPC) and the "overheard" conversations where you can "agree with ______" for different bonuses.

What do you think?

*Potential Spoiler stuff below*

Also, I'm gonna need help with variables. Due to decisions made in the 1st 2 games there are different options, decisions, and rewards available (or not available) so I'm not 100% how to treat that. Thinking people can post different results they come across and I can refer to those posts for those who's decisions are different. Ideas?

And if your feeling generous, what else does this thread need:
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=361490

Thanks for any and all responses!

Change is inevitable.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #22
Grifter Reborn

Looking for feedback

Thought I'd post a small segment to illicit some responses.

Prologue: Earth- (Note: this never officially shows in your mission log) Starts when you start the game.
Details- This is basically a tutorial for the controls, simply follow all audio and on-screen instructions.
End- Technically when your reinstated by Anderson on the Normandy. Automatic, no turn-in required.
Rewards- 2,000 XP received when you take control again on Mars.
Disk- #1

1. Priority: Mars- Starts when Hackett orders you to Mars.
Details- Meet with Liara; Enter the Archive; Recover the stolen data.
End- Technically when you give your report to Hackett. Automatic, no turn-in required.
Rewards- 35,000 credits awarded after speaking with Commander Bailey upon arrival at the Citadel.
Disk- #1

2. Priority: The Citadel (#1)- Starts when Hackett orders you to see the council.
Details- Go to the Citadel; Go to Councilor Udina's office.
End- Technically when you return to Udina's office. Automatic, no turn-in required.
Rewards- +4 Paragon/Renegade awarded after your talk with Sparatus.
Disk- #1

Talk- Once you've finished speaking to Commander Bailey upon your first arrival to the Citadel (all automatic), head towards the passenger lounge (#2 map) to speak with Diana Allers.
Details- Select "Let's do a trial run".
Rewards- Gain Diana as a war asset worth 5 points.
Disc- #1

Talk- Head to Huerta Memorial Hospital and speak with Dr. Chakwas in patient lounge (#1 map).
Details- Select the top dialog options for:
Rewards- +5 Reputation
Disk- #1

Talk- At the same location (#1 map), just other side of the room, speak with Dr. Michel to gain:
Rewards- +2 Reputation
Disk- #1

Talk- while your in the hospital, go to the inpatient wing (#3 map) in one of the rooms on the right side.
Details- Speak with Ashley to get:
Rewards- +2 Reputation
Disk- #1

Change is inevitable.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #23
Kl1n3

Kl1n3's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMPLYMIDGET View Post
Yes, very useful.
Agreed. For now and future reference. Good Luck w/it.

-Ashley Riot (Vagrant Story)
Kl1n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #24
O2DAZ81

O 2 DA Z's Gamercard
Good idea, Grifter! This was the first "issue" I had with ME3. I was expecting to be able to just open the journal to track mission progress like the previous games. This guide will definitely be very useful.

O2DAZ81 is offline   Reply With Quote