Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Games
Subscribe    Donate

Old 01-31-2012, 05:04 AM   #1
TheRealBr1ghtShadow

Br1ghtShadow's Gamercard
Help! I want everyone's opinion!

Hey guys,

I ask today that you guys help me with a project that I'm going to be working on very, very soon. I can't release any details, but it is going to be sweet. For it to be even sweeter, I need all of your help!

What I am looking for is the most iconic video game characters. From the game you select, I want you to give me what your opinions are of who are the most iconic good character (or characters) AND the most iconic bad character (or characters).

NOTE: THIS IS NOT JUST FOR XBOX 360! I AM LOOKING FOR ANYTHING RELATED TO ANY OTHER GAMING SYSTEM!

Seeing as I am one guy, I can't obviously play every game out there, (nor do I want to), so that's what I'm asking your help for.

Here's what I am looking for:
- The name of the game
- The name, in your opinion, of the most iconic characters in the game, good and bad. (Whether they are dead, sick, or unable to fight, it doesn't matter. Still list them.)

What I am not looking for:
- Games that are based or related on a movie or TV show. (If it is stand-alone, by all means, say it. ie. Arkham City, Transformers: War for Cybertron.)
- Games where you play a created character. (Although extremely fun, it just wouldn't be the same for everyone. ie. Fallout, Elder Scrolls)
NOTE: Some games can fit this category and still work. The one that sticks out in my head is Saints Row. You still have the main characters(Johny Gat, Shaundi, Pierce, etc.) but also a created character.
- Zombie games. (Although they have a wide variety of main characters, the enemies are just the same and repetitive. ie. Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead. If you can find a zombie game that breaks this mold, by all means say it, please.)

Here's just an example of what I'm going for:

Name: Good Characters / Bad Characters

Halo: Master Chief and Arbiter / The Covenant aliens and the prophets
Modern Warfare: Soap and Price / Makorav
Saint's Row: Johny Gat, Shaundi, Pierce, and Oleg / KillBane, Marrow, and Shogo, etc.
Borderlands: Mordecai, Roland, Lillith, and Brick / (I completely drew a blank on Borderlands as of writing this. Any suggestions?)
Mortal Kombat : Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Kitana, Liu Kang, Raiden / Goro, Shao Kahn, and Shang Tsung.

I know this seems very random, but I need your help to make this project I'm doing a success. Please list your suggestions on this, and if you have anything to add/change about the few I mentioned here as an example, please feel free to tell me. Again, this isn't just for Xbox, I would actually love it if you guys threw in the other consoles.

Thanks for anything you contribute! Names of the people will be mentioned to the people who helped! Look forward to hearing the announcement when the project is finished!

-Gil B. (Br1ghtShadow)
Interested in boosting? Message me on XBL - Br1ghtShadow
TheRealBr1ghtShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Tharos

coursedsoul's Gamercard
SHENMUE for dreamcast.

GOOD CHARACTERS: RYO HAZUKI AND TOM.

BAD CHARACTERS: LAN DI and Terry.

Hope That helps!
Tharos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
EmporerDragon

EmporerDragon's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I'd hardly consider any characters from Saints Row, Modern Warfare, Borderlands, or Shenmune iconic. While gamers might recognize them, non-gamers won't. For a character to be iconic, even people who have never played a game need to be able to identify the character, so you'd need to use characters who have been around for decades (Mario, Sonic, etc.) or characters who are part of massive ad campaigns (Master Chief, Kratos, etc.). Also, Villians are far less iconic than the heroes because of their massively reduced billing. They are seen far less and thus aren't as recognizable.

For a good idea of how recognizable a character is, look through the various quizzes on sporcle. If only 10% of the people are recognizing a character, they aren't iconic. You'd need to look more towards the characters people are identifying more than 90% of the time.

tl;dr: If your mom doesn't know who they are, they aren't iconic.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Grifter Reborn

Send a message via Skype™ to Grifter Reborn

Grifter x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Emerald   CABS Beta Tester   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   x360a Representer   Road Map - Bronze   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Final Fantasy VII- Cloud/Sephiroth

BTW; if your including general races I.E.- the covenant from the Halo series, then zombies would be considered an "iconic" villain.

Change is inevitable.

Grifter Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #5
TheRealBr1ghtShadow

Br1ghtShadow's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmporerDragon View Post
I'd hardly consider any characters from Saints Row, Modern Warfare, Borderlands, or Shenmune iconic. While gamers might recognize them, non-gamers won't. For a character to be iconic, even people who have never played a game need to be able to identify the character, so you'd need to use characters who have been around for decades (Mario, Sonic, etc.) or characters who are part of massive ad campaigns (Master Chief, Kratos, etc.). Also, Villians are far less iconic than the heroes because of their massively reduced billing. They are seen far less and thus aren't as recognizable.

For a good idea of how recognizable a character is, look through the various quizzes on sporcle. If only 10% of the people are recognizing a character, they aren't iconic. You'd need to look more towards the characters people are identifying more than 90% of the time.

tl;dr: If your mom doesn't know who they are, they aren't iconic.

I guess I didn't explain very well in the original post. I apologize, it was a very groggy night for me last night.

I don't necessarily mean iconic games, but in some of your favorite games, what are you favorite, iconic characters (that stand out in that game, not in pop culture, so to say.) that are good and bad.

For example, I've never played the Assassin's Creed games, but I know about Ezio and Altiar. Now the villians on the other hand, I have no clue. That's why I asked you guys, just to get the full experience in the project I'm working on.

I apologize as I realize my request was extremely vague. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #6
Pooky 187 PS3

Pooky 187 PS3's Gamercard
God of War: Kratos/Zues
Dead Space: Issac/Necromorphs

Pooky 187 PS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:27 AM   #7
Ceris
~Kairi's Student~

Tragic Melody's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Staff - Guide Team   CABS Beta Tester   Community Gaming - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - Ceris   Over Achiever - Bronze
So you want variety from a bunch of random games?

The Legend of Zelda: Link/Ganon
Sonic The Hedgehog: Sonic/Eggman or Shadow. Both work^^
Phantasy Star Universe: Ethan/Magashi
Silent Hill 2: James/Pyramid Head
Gears of War: Marcus/Myrrah
Super Mario Bros: Mario/Bowser
Kameo Elements of Power: Kameo/Thorn
Metroid: Samus/Dark Samus
Pokemon: Ash/Gary
Kingdom Hearts: Sora/Xehanort
Kirby's Dreamland: Kirby/King Dedede (are they enemies? I know very little about kirby xD)

Sadly, a large portion of my games are involved in the series above or have no definite evil side. (i.e. Mirror's Edge has a whole conspiracy)

I will edit my list if any more come to mind

Helping Hand Award Nominations || Please disable your ad blocker for XBA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech
An ad blocker prevents the ad from loading in the first place, and the counter is on the ad's side, not the site's. As such, an ad blocker stops the increment from going up and no revenue is generated as a result of your page views.

Last edited by Ceris; 02-01-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Ceris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #8
Floorkiller

threehaddock62's Gamercard
I'm older than y'all

Pac-Man
Pitfall Harry
Donkey Kong (and Jr)
Kid Icarus
Floorkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:42 AM   #9
DragonsGoMOO

dragonsgomoo's Gamercard

John Marston, Red Dead Redemption. He was the only character I ever truly enjoyed and cheered for. Got so angry at the end, that my girlfriend started calling him my boyfriend for a few weeks.

DragonsGoMOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:42 AM   #10
Twitch n Switch

Crash Bandicoot: Crash | Doctor Neo Cortex
Final Fantasy X: Tidus | Seymour (or Sin)
Mass Effect: Shepard | Reapers
Assassins Creed: Ezio (The Creed) | The Templar's

I'll add more when they come to mind.

Last edited by Twitch n Switch; 02-01-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Twitch n Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #11
Kevinn

pollyprisypantz's Gamercard
Might i suggest updating your OP with a full list of what everybody has already said? That way you eliminate a bunch of repeats and allow room for people to correct something that is amiss. Good luck in your project, it sounds exciting!
Kevinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #12
Yannie Boy

Yannie Boy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Community Gaming - Bronze   1,000 Posts   XBA Promoter   Submit - Platinum   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Half-Life Series: Gordon Freeman/G-Man

Last edited by Yannie Boy; 02-01-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Yannie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #13
DecadentBeaver

DecadentBeaver's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Adam Jensen - Deus Ex
Cole Phelps - LA Noire

Looking for people to join me in an epic Minecraft build once again. Its in creative, so if you are interested, message me for details.
DecadentBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #14
Lurgilurg

Lurgilurg's Gamercard
Resident evil 3 - Jill valentine/Nemesis
Old 02-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #15
TheRealBr1ghtShadow

Br1ghtShadow's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinn View Post
Might i suggest updating your OP with a full list of what everybody has already said? That way you eliminate a bunch of repeats and allow room for people to correct something that is amiss. Good luck in your project, it sounds exciting!
I'll update it when I get home. I'm nowhere near a computer at the moment.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #16
theNomad

PureNomad's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmporerDragon View Post
I'd hardly consider any characters from Saints Row, Modern Warfare, Borderlands, or Shenmune iconic.
I think claptrap was pretty damned iconic, sure there was multiple claptraps but the orange one they used the most and in the ads and stunning mini movies was fantastic, such a great funny character.

My all time fave has got to be Master Chief/John 117 the guys a legend and we still don't know much other than he was born with increased psychical abilities compared to other children, so unsc decided to use him for their spartanII program. Who else can win a universal war and destroy the covenant and flood by himself.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #17
XgearfreeX

lamebeer4206's Gamercard
Call of Jiarez series

Ray and Billy McCall
XgearfreeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #18
LORD LEGOMAN

LORD LEGOMAN's Gamercard
streetfighter ryu and akuma
LORD LEGOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #19
ajx18

zAgEzOFzAJz's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealBr1ghtShadow View Post
Hey guys,

I ask today that you guys help me with a project that I'm going to be working on very, very soon. I can't release any details, but it is going to be sweet. For it to be even sweeter, I need all of your help!

What I am looking for is the most iconic video game characters. From the game you select, I want you to give me what your opinions are of who are the most iconic good character (or characters) AND the most iconic bad character (or characters).

NOTE: THIS IS NOT JUST FOR XBOX 360! I AM LOOKING FOR ANYTHING RELATED TO ANY OTHER GAMING SYSTEM!

Seeing as I am one guy, I can't obviously play every game out there, (nor do I want to), so that's what I'm asking your help for.

Here's what I am looking for:
- The name of the game
- The name, in your opinion, of the most iconic characters in the game, good and bad. (Whether they are dead, sick, or unable to fight, it doesn't matter. Still list them.)

What I am not looking for:
- Games that are based or related on a movie or TV show. (If it is stand-alone, by all means, say it. ie. Arkham City, Transformers: War for Cybertron.)
- Games where you play a created character. (Although extremely fun, it just wouldn't be the same for everyone. ie. Fallout, Elder Scrolls)
NOTE: Some games can fit this category and still work. The one that sticks out in my head is Saints Row. You still have the main characters(Johny Gat, Shaundi, Pierce, etc.) but also a created character.
- Zombie games. (Although they have a wide variety of main characters, the enemies are just the same and repetitive. ie. Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead. If you can find a zombie game that breaks this mold, by all means say it, please.)

Here's just an example of what I'm going for:

Name: Good Characters / Bad Characters

Halo: Master Chief and Arbiter / The Covenant aliens and the prophets
Modern Warfare: Soap and Price / Makorav
Saint's Row: Johny Gat, Shaundi, Pierce, and Oleg / KillBane, Marrow, and Shogo, etc.
Borderlands: Mordecai, Roland, Lillith, and Brick / (I completely drew a blank on Borderlands as of writing this. Any suggestions?)
Mortal Kombat : Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Kitana, Liu Kang, Raiden / Goro, Shao Kahn, and Shang Tsung.

I know this seems very random, but I need your help to make this project I'm doing a success. Please list your suggestions on this, and if you have anything to add/change about the few I mentioned here as an example, please feel free to tell me. Again, this isn't just for Xbox, I would actually love it if you guys threw in the other consoles.

Thanks for anything you contribute! Names of the people will be mentioned to the people who helped! Look forward to hearing the announcement when the project is finished!

-Gil B. (Br1ghtShadow)

i think markus fenix is a really good character
and joker is a great bad character
ajx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #20
Kairi

Send a message via Skype™ to Kairi

Kairi x360's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - troy0891   Referrals - Silver   Community Gaming - Platinum   Tri-Gamer Tournament - Runner Up   A+ Thread Award   Staff - Moderator   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   Staff - Guide Team
Total Awards: 24 (more» ...)
Original Spyro Series: Spyro the Dragon (good) and Ripto (bad)
Crash Bandicoot: Crash Bandicoot (good) and Dr. Neo Cortex (bad)
Blazblue: Ragna the Bloodedge (good) and Hazama (bad)
American McGee's Alice: Alice Liddel (good) and the Queen of Hearts (bad)
Dragon Age: Alistair (good) and Loghain/Archdemon (bad)
Enchanted Arms: Atsuma (good) and the Queen of Ice (bad)
Kameo: Kameo (good) and Thorn (bad)
Condemned: Criminal Origins: Ethan Thomas (good) and Serial Killer X (bad)
Kingdom Hearts: Sora (good) and Ansem (bad)
Tales of Phantasia: Cress Albane (good) and Dhaos (bad)
Crisis Core Final Fantasy: Zack Fair (good) and Genesis Rhapsodos
Final Fantasy (the first one): Warriors of Light (good) and Garland/Chaos (bad)
Mario: Mario (good) and Bowser (bad)

That's all the ones I can think of at the moment! Good luck with your project! I hope all goes well!
But being the one on the stand, I know the way to go, no one's guiding me.
When time soaked with blood turns its back, I know it's hard to fall.
Confided in me was your heart. I know it's hurting you, but it's killing me.

Kairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #21
SolariStar

Send a message via AIM to SolariStar

MusianProphets's Gamercard
Final Fantasy XIII-2 [PS3/Xbox 360] (despite the story being quite confusing for some):
Unplayable Character(s) [Iconic]: Lightning and Fang (and Vanille)
Good Characters: Serah, Noel, and Mog
Bad Character (though he also seems to be not bad): Caius Ballad

Super Mario World [Super NES]:
Iconic Character (to me): That enemy that looked like an american football player that keeps trying to ram you. (I don't know it's name) ...and Mario and Luigi
Good Character: Mario (not so sure about Luigi [about him being playable]) and Yoshi
Bad Character: Bowser

SolariStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #22
hydrosugar

xFightingSaintx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Lol at first I thought you were splitting the characters into good/bad as in quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceris View Post
Kirby's Dreamland: Kirby/King Dedede (are they enemies? I know very little about kirby xD)
Ehh technically, but everyone in that series/game becomes one big happy family eventually.

OT:
Tekken: Jin / Heihachi
Soulcalibur: Siegfried / Nightmare

Anything else I would say has already been taken.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #23
TuM Predator

TuM Predator's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter Reborn View Post
Final Fantasy VII- Cloud/Sephiroth
I 2nd this
Old 03-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #24
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month   Call of Duty 4 Subscribers Tourn. - Second Place
Total Awards: 13 (more» ...)
Final Fantasy 6

Good:
Terra
Locke
Celes
Sabin
Edgar
Shadow
Cyan
Gau
Setzer
Relm
Strago
Mog
Gogo
Umaro

Bad:
Kefka

Last edited by Gackt; 03-10-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Gackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:56 AM   #25
BBY52

BBY52's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceris View Post
So you want variety from a bunch of random games?

The Legend of Zelda: Link/Ganon
Sonic The Hedgehog: Sonic/Eggman or Shadow. Both work^^
Phantasy Star Universe: Ethan/Magashi
Silent Hill 2: James/Pyramid Head
Gears of War: Marcus/Myrrah
Super Mario Bros: Mario/Bowser
Kameo Elements of Power: Kameo/Thorn
Metroid: Samus/Dark Samus
Pokemon: Ash/Gary
Kingdom Hearts: Sora/Xehanort

Sadly, a large portion of my games are involved in the series above or have no definite evil side. (i.e. Mirror's Edge has a whole conspiracy)

I will edit my list if any more come to mind

How could you get Metroid wrong?! It varies with the games.
Metroid: Samus/Mother Brain
Super Metroid(most memorable battle): Samus/Ridley
Metroid Prime: Samus/those friggin space pirates.
Metroid Prime 2: Samus/Dark Samus
Metroid Fusion: Samus/X Samus

Sorry for calling you out Ceris, I'm just a complet fanboy for that series.
BBY52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #26
Pay4NameChange

pay4namechange's Gamercard
Gannon - TLoZ:OoT Gannondorf transforming to Gannon under the power of the Tri-Force....that was epic if you ask me. Best Villan ever

Samus Aran - Something about being so alone, looking for any chance of your extinct race's survival (not genetically, but they raised you and gave you your suit), and just the closed quiet bad ass...best protagonist.
Complete Games: Assassin's Creed II, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Call of Duty 2, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Dead Space, Enchanted Arms, Fallout 3, Forza Motorsport 3, Halo: Reach, Magna Carta 2, Mass Effect 2, Need For Speed: Most Wanted, Prince of Persia: TFS, Quantum of Solace, Terminator Salvation, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Vanquish
Pay4NameChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #27
Ceris
~Kairi's Student~

Tragic Melody's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Staff - Guide Team   CABS Beta Tester   Community Gaming - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - Ceris   Over Achiever - Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBY52 View Post
How could you get Metroid wrong?! It varies with the games.
Metroid: Samus/Mother Brain
Super Metroid(most memorable battle): Samus/Ridley
Metroid Prime: Samus/those friggin space pirates.
Metroid Prime 2: Samus/Dark Samus
Metroid Fusion: Samus/X Samus

Sorry for calling you out Ceris, I'm just a complet fanboy for that series.
I was being general But Samus Aran-X and Dark Samus are pretty much the game role. Though, I should have added Ridley, since he is such an iconic enemy.

Adding
Final Fantasy XIII-2: Serah vs Caius.
Caius has to be one of my favorite villains of all time now.

Helping Hand Award Nominations || Please disable your ad blocker for XBA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech
An ad blocker prevents the ad from loading in the first place, and the counter is on the ad's side, not the site's. As such, an ad blocker stops the increment from going up and no revenue is generated as a result of your page views.

Last edited by Ceris; 03-10-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Ceris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #28
stevieboy65

Stevieboy65's Gamercard
Garcia hotspur / fleming
Old 03-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #29
Rasp

I think the most Iconic good character has to be Mario and Luigi and bad character is Bowser.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:26 AM   #30
Arenazombie

Arenazombie's Gamercard
I think most of the entries are barely iconic. I consider myself as quite a hardcore gamer and I haven't even heard of some of the guys you list.
I try to list characters I think most people, even if they don't play games at all have most probably heard of:

Good Characters:

Mario: Super Mario Bros
Donkey Kong: Donkey Kong Country
Pac-Man: Pac-Man
Masterchief: Halo
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
Sonic: Sonic the Hedgehog
Link: Zelda
Megaman: Megaman

Bad Characters:
Bowser: Super Mario Bros
Donkey Kong: Donkey Kong (Yes its correct I stated him as both good and bad guy)
Cats: Zero Wing (Popular through the phrase: All your base are belong to us)

Random Character:
Skyrim NPC (The one that took an arrow to the knee)
Arenazombie is offline   Reply With Quote