Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > BioShock
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-22-2007, 07:59 AM   #1
thecrazyguy

nextgenplayer33's Gamercard
Help with Big Daddy / How to Kill a Big Daddy

Ok first let me apologize if there's already a thread somewhere for this, but i searched and found nothing. If there is, i'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Anyway, i'm at the part of the game where you fight your first big daddy. Problem is, I have no clue how to beat him, nothing seems to work.

Now my question is, are you supposed to fight the big daddy, or are you supposed to pass it and continue on?? If you are supposed to fight it, how do you beat him.

If someone could tell me what's involved in beating the big daddy, like what to use on him, what I should have with me, I'd really really appreciate it!!

Thanks in advance.

PS3 Trophies
thecrazyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:16 AM   #2
DoM cAbAn

DoM cAbAn's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I use the Shotgun and the Machine Gun on them every time and they worked fine. Just keep dodging whatever he throws at you and shoot whenever you can.

DoM cAbAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:33 AM   #3
The Pants Party
You're Not Invited

Za Pantsupati's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff - Front Page   Road Map - Diamond   Staff - Super Moderator   Micro Guide - Platinum   15,000 Posts   Staff Club - Never Final   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - The Pants Party   Staff Club - AOS Puck   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold
Total Awards: 21 (more» ...)
I found it easy to shock him, which stuns him, then unload some armor piercing rounds from the pistol. Once I'm out of those, I continue to shock, but switch to the shotgun. If all else fails, just keep running in and doing little bits of damage and die, because you just respawn with him at the same amount of health. Very weird that they did this, but it's making the game easy as pie.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
The Pants Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:57 AM   #4
thecrazyguy

nextgenplayer33's Gamercard
I actually forgot about that Pants, glad ya told me or I probably would have forgot about it the whole game lol. And thanks both of ya for the tips, just finished the big daddy off. Those guys are a challenge, but now that I know what I need to do, should'nt be to hard.

Thanks again

PS3 Trophies
thecrazyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
Fruhmann360

Fruhmann360's Gamercard
my first daddy i caught in a glitch/map hack. i brought him to where you use fire to melt the doorway on the lower level. there was a gurney/chair to jump. he couldn't jump it or move it, so i'd shock to stop his jump shockwave and pistol him to death.
Fruhmann360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:03 PM   #6
Maka

Send a message via MSN to Maka

Maka91's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   Micro Guide - Platinum   Road Map - Emerald   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   10,000 posts   Achievement Guide - Emerald   GRID 2 Award   Submit - Platinum   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Silver   x360a Book Club
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
I also find it very hard to beat them. On medium, they're a huge pain. Every creature in medium has 2-3 times more health than in easy. The biggest problem is that they're so hard to beat that I end up using 5-7 First Aid's and a bunch of Eve Hypos and Im always out of money.

But usually I use shock and the shotgun (But not the Electric Buck, unless he's in water) and strafe a lot. One of my tips is also to get the camera and take a lot of pictures of big Daddys, and whenever it gives you an upgrade, use it to your advantage. For example: "Rosie's are vulnerable to Anti-Personnel Rounds" then use as many as you can of those. It seemed to worked for my friend yesterday, when we were taking turns playing the game on our own hardrives, but he was on easy.

Personally, I find the Big Daddys harder to kill than the Bosses (Docs)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:26 PM   #7
PerfectAnt

PerfectAnt's Gamercard
Hitting them in the back (around the tank) seems to draw more energy away from them as well. shock, move around him and hit him in the back with a shotgun blast or 2. repeat as necessary
PerfectAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:50 PM   #8
Zombieslayer42
Banned User

Zombieslayer42's Gamercard
I use armor piercing bullets. circle around him and catch him on fire
Zombieslayer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:00 PM   #9
Exane22

Exane22's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectAnt View Post
Hitting them in the back (around the tank) seems to draw more energy away from them as well. shock, move around him and hit him in the back with a shotgun blast or 2. repeat as necessary
Now that is a good tip, gonna give that one a try. Basically they shouldnt be a problem just bc of what Pants said, you respawn. at first i was using all my health packs and what not, now i fight untill i die and just come right back at him. The best thing to use imo is the armor piercing bullets with the machine gun in the head, drops them incredibly fast. My favorite (but rare to find) though is the exploding shells with the shotgun
Old 08-22-2007, 08:17 PM   #10
flip

Send a message via AIM to flip

Mr McGibbletss's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Book Club
i like using Electric Buck shots personally, but ya, it really just depends on what you like, because it's not like you can die in the game :/

halo 3 and rock band!!!
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:26 PM   #11
Maka

Send a message via MSN to Maka

Maka91's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   Micro Guide - Platinum   Road Map - Emerald   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   10,000 posts   Achievement Guide - Emerald   GRID 2 Award   Submit - Platinum   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Silver   x360a Book Club
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exane22 View Post
Now that is a good tip, gonna give that one a try. Basically they shouldnt be a problem just bc of what Pants said, you respawn. at first i was using all my health packs and what not, now i fight untill i die and just come right back at him. The best thing to use imo is the armor piercing bullets with the machine gun in the head, drops them incredibly fast. My favorite (but rare to find) though is the exploding shells with the shotgun
Not sure but if you get "Machine Gun Kick-Back reduction" than its incredibly easy to kill them as the gun has zero recoil and you aim once and shoot.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:37 PM   #12
spikedzombies

Fr3ak3r's Gamercard
My tips is probably the easiest and safest.

Lure the Big Daddy down stairs near the machine that re-spawns you. There should be an office where you got that Plasmid that slowed down that bad guy? in the dental office. Well lure him into that room where you had to crawl thru the vents and just pick him off.

i did that and i didnt die

spikedzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:57 PM   #13
thagame

colinisgod's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
when you get to the weapon upgrade machine i upgraded my shotgun power. now 4 of the 00 Buck ammo drops him. Oh and a word for later in the game, only kill the ones with little sisters, if you dont initiate an attack on them they will ignore you.
thagame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:37 PM   #14
XxHektikxX

XxHEKTIKxX's Gamercard

well this is my strategy for fighting the the big daddys, of course this wont work on the early fights...but still i thought i would share.

1. Lay around three prox mines, lure the big daddy to said mines.
2. once mines have detonated switch to frag grenades or a shotty with electro buck. In about three frag hits, they go down.

or if you feel better in ur plasmid skills/dodging ability (works on only Rosies...duh)

1. Equip Tk and electro bolt.
2. use bolt to stun, stay a healthy distance away
3. They will fire off two to three rounds, then launch a mine.
4. TK the mine and send it back
5 Rinse and repeat

this method saves an ass load of ammo, and you probably will only use one to two FA kits....though you might burn thru hypo....

XxHektikxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:43 PM   #15
Memnoch

On hard I've taken to using up all my ammo, eve, and health, then dying. Once I die I use the little eve and run in with my wrench. It takes a long time and I die a lot but I don't have much else to do.
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:52 PM   #16
brentkid

kids got soul's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pants Party View Post
I found it easy to shock him, which stuns him, then unload some armor piercing rounds from the pistol. Once I'm out of those, I continue to shock, but switch to the shotgun. If all else fails, just keep running in and doing little bits of damage and die, because you just respawn with him at the same amount of health. Very weird that they did this, but it's making the game easy as pie.
That was my technique as well.
brentkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:51 AM   #17
ReCkLeSs_X

ReCkLeSs NeXt's Gamercard
I actually find them really easy. I don't know why.

I've been playing on hard and my combo is lighting them on fire, then using the shotgun. May die a few times, but they go down.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:34 AM   #18
Night45Fox

Night45Fox's Gamercard
i think one of the best way to deal with big daddys/rosies is to have a big daddy body guard (hyptonize big daddy Plasmid) then walk around untill you find a little sister/bd then use inrage on the other bg/littlesister and watch them have a big fight or you can join in, once the littlesister is yours and there is another littlesister on the map follow the bd that you hyptonized and when the littlesister comes to him, he will already be hurt from the fight earlier so 2 little sisters for the price of 1 lol
Night45Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:15 AM   #19
FH Regulus

FH Regulus's Gamercard
After you get the Crossbow, Big Daddies go down like nothing. You make some Trap Bolts at a U-Vent, load them up, and wait for the Big Daddy to stop with the Little Sister. Secure about 3 wires (on Medium, not sure how many for Hard) around him, hit him with a shot from the pistol, and let him charge at you. He'll go down and you'll be unharmed.

Without it, jump onto ledges when fighting Bouncers or hide behind things with Rosies, then just drive them back with the Machine Gun.

Or if you want to kill two birds with one stone, use the Big Daddy Control Plasmid and bring him towards another one. Shot the second and let them fight to the death, the one you control should have low health at the end of the fight, so a few shots puts him down.

At least that's how I did it.
FH Regulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:33 AM   #20
Night45Fox

Night45Fox's Gamercard
[QUOTE=FH Regulus;373745
Or if you want to kill two birds with one stone, use the Big Daddy Control Plasmid and bring him towards another one. Shot the second and let them fight to the death, the one you control should have low health at the end of the fight, so a few shots puts him down.

At least that's how I did it.[/QUOTE]

lol same as my post lol
Night45Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #21
abartshe

aarmister's Gamercard
i think the wrench is by far the easiest way to kill him

GT:AARMISTER
abartshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:54 PM   #22
oneandonlytommo

II tommo 91 II's Gamercard
just load everything you have on him and he will die in no time

oneandonlytommo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:41 PM   #23
Zef

Torn Volk's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Silver   Word of Mouth   Member of the Month
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
On Easy you can kill Big Daddies in three shots with both the Crossbow (steel bolts) and Shotgun (exploding buck), since you get 'one shot free' before they attack you you need to pick something that will do the most damage first. Aim for the head to do more damage (if it applies to them, otherwise attack from behind) and then run when needed.

Rosie's are a bit smarter than Bouncers, so they are harder to lure into traps as they strafe around. If you are facing a bouncer then get some distance between you or a barrier if you want to be totally safe. Electro shock is a good plasmid against both types, it will buy you time to set up an attack or to reload. Target decoy can also work, but it is a little more troublesome than others.

Make sure you have some decent tonics too, the armour and counter ones work great against Bouncers.
Zef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:02 PM   #24
p4in redefined

Send a message via MSN to p4in redefined

Mattress 117's Gamercard
set it on fire then shoot the bejesus out of it
Old 08-25-2007, 02:33 AM   #25
orp08

For the way you talk seems you always die with them... i think its easy to kill him, you just use the shotgun, fire until you have to reload and use electro-bolt to win time for reloading (and i played it and also playing for the second time, on hard)...and thagame you are saying bullshit, no way you kill him with 4 shots, i had it fully upgraded and you need so more than that, even withe the explodin bucks, you waste so much more bullets...Also if you have the wrench with the ice,the powerfull hitting, the fastest moves (at hitting),the regining health when hitting with the wrench,and the electro-shit when you get hitted they are no problem(you can easily kill him in 1 life and even with good health), only to have all this tonics you need to be ending the game.
orp08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:52 AM   #26
MASTERCHEAT

MA5TERCH3AT's Gamercard
Personally their are many ways to kill the Big daddy, but my favorite is killing him with the shotgun using the electric buck shots.
MASTERCHEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:34 AM   #27
DeW222

DeW222's Gamercard

The best way to kill a big daddy, be it a Bouncer or Rosie is to hit them with damage from different sources all at once. Don't just shoot them, but also use traps and environmental hazards. The basic rule for them is "Fire & Lightning". Here's a little checklist I thought up of that you can try and get as many things to help kill them with:
  • Trap bolts are key to any good trap as they not only damage big daddies but stun them. Little sisters will lead a Daddy into a bolt. Rosies may avoid once angered.
  • Big Daddies can be stunned by all things electrical, so if trap bolts aren't available, use electrical buck shot or electrical plasmid to buy time.
  • If a big daddy is in water, shock it. It has the same effect as shocking anything in water.
  • Earlier the use of Atlas' advice of a "One - two punch" is handy, stunning via any method, and then switch ammo/guns to an armored piercing round, back to stunning, then to armored piercing, etc.
  • Proximity mines are another key component of any good trap. Two mines can kill a big daddy if the following is used.
  • Placing mines in a puddle of gasoline/kerosine will ignite the puddle, increasing the damage done by the trap due to fire damage.
  • If a flammable tank is available, use telekinesis to throw it at the Big Daddy. This is better than just firing a normal grenade as it will set him on fire.
  • If there are no gas puddles or tanks then simply lighting him on fire with Incinerate, Exploding Buck, or Fire Bolts will also greatly help by setting him on fire and tick his health away.
  • Security won't kill a Big Daddy outright, but it can help. Use cameras, bots, and turrets as best you can.
That's all I've got for now. There are a lot more things one can do to take one down, but that's what I've found to be most effective. I actually discovered recently just how good telekinesis can be when used with gas tanks.

Last edited by DeW222; 08-25-2007 at 05:37 AM.
DeW222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:41 AM   #28
Gaz2k7

Darkoverlord679's Gamercard
Ive been playing the game on medium and these guys are pretty tough. True David and goliath stuff.
My personal fave is to shock then unload electic buck they die quite quick with this method. After a few attempts I can now actually kill a big daddy without him touching me. Although im sure there gonna get tougher further in the game.
Gaz2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:06 AM   #29
Lunacy182

Lunacy182's Gamercard
The best way to kill the big daddy is use the chemical throwing gun. If you have a full tank of the electric stuff, then all you have to do is point and shoot. If you just hold down the trigger the big daddy will die, and he won't even be able to move the whole time you are shooting him with it.
Lunacy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 02:10 PM   #30
Yoshi6107

HollowYoshi's Gamercard
Electric Buck on the shotgun + Armor Piercing Auto Rounds for the Machine Gun

That's my favorite way to take em out. Especially with the Electric Buck, since that stuns them for a short time.