PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Mass Effect 3
Subscribe    Donate

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the ending?
I love it. 45 9.64%
I like it as-is. 58 12.42%
I like the indoctrination theory. 56 11.99%
I like it, but the lack of closure bothers me. 99 21.20%
I dislike it, but I may like it with some elaboration and clarification. 63 13.49%
I dislike it, and hope they make a new ending. 35 7.49%
I dislike it, and believe the indoctrination theory. 42 8.99%
I hate it. 69 14.78%
Voters: 467. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2012, 01:12 AM   #31
MasterSparky

mastersparky's Gamercard
Also though... If it isn't a dream can someone explain to me how shepherd is breathing on the roof of a spaceship? He's clearly out in space with no helmet on.

MasterSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:33 AM   #32
Skeletor

SKELETOR2484's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSK BigHurt View Post
Well the crazy thing is if people don't mind buying access to the ending of the game they bought. Hey, I think this might be a game right up your alley, sir, it's called DLC Quest.
I'm not going to waste 12 1/2 minutes of my time on that video, so sorry if it somehow validates your stance. My point was more directed at this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baihu1983 View Post
You dont mind a BS ending that goes against everything the ME series has been about?
which is basically saying "your OPINION differs from mine and others and I don't like it!" And yes, that's crazy.

Now, if you want to get into the DLC aspect, that's fine too. I would actually say in this period of gaming it's pretty naive to not at least expect there would be post game DLC whether it's related to the ending or isn't. I think a lot of gamers tend to only look at it from a consumer standpoint instead of both sides. That's fine, to an extent, not everybody has $60 to blow on every new game that comes out so you want to maximize your experience as much as possible. The problem is those same gamers expect the developers to have the same mindset, when in fact they're running a business and the point of any business is to make money.

We're getting a little off topic so I'll try to stay on it with my point of view. I didn't necessarily hate or like the ending, I somehow fall in the middle if that's at all possible. Can see arguments for both sides. I'm also one that's a little uneasy harping on the ending and would rather focus on the trilogy as a whole which is one of the best, if not the best ever IMO. But I will say, if the indoctrination theory is true that would certainly persuade me to the "I liked it" crowd.
Skeletor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:35 AM   #33
Airman Rufio

Airman Rufio's Gamercard
My take is that throughout the entire game: YOU, the player, are the one being indoctrinated. Picking any choice other than destroying the reaper's is the wrong choice. My take on it can be found here: http://www.trueachievements.com/game...erblogid=19523

Apologies if I'm not allowed to link to another site, I just didn't want to clog up a whole post.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:12 AM   #34
ninjachicken

Stabystab's Gamercard
If Shepard is indoctrinated then why doesn't the VI on Thessia say anything about it when you first meet it? This dark energy ending sounds like it would of been better.
ninjachicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:24 AM   #35
DopeySO

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamptastic View Post
To say nothing of the fact you're not even capable of earning an ending where you can stop the Reapers while leaving EDI and the Geth alive.
This is the main problem I had. Tried for 2 games to get peace with the geth, finally did, but to get the ending I felt was right (destroying the reapers), I had to destroy them also. Just seemed to be very counter intuitive.

DopeySO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:48 AM   #36
Airman Rufio

Airman Rufio's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjachicken View Post
If Shepard is indoctrinated then why doesn't the VI on Thessia say anything about it when you first meet it? This dark energy ending sounds like it would of been better.
Because Shep wasn't fully indoctrinated by then. Kai Leng was fully indoctrinated.

Just all a theory. I'm just going with what I have. The dark energy theory seemingly comes from no where.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:55 AM   #37
cordawg411

The main problem I have with the game is that we see no repercussions from our ending decision. We get the same exact cutscenes of our squad and the old man/little kid. Couldn't they have had the decency to show what happens to earth? The galaxy? The future? Instead, we the same generic cutscenes.

I'm willing to forget the plot holes, overlook the inconsistencies and not question why my squad members were on the Normandy speeding away from Earth... just please, PLEASE show me what happens after I have made my choice! PLEASE!
cordawg411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:08 AM   #38
ColdSpider72

ColdSpider72's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)

See more on Know Your Meme
ColdSpider72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #39
Skeletor

SKELETOR2484's Gamercard
If you're going to post a meme at least make sure it has proper grammar next time.
Skeletor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:14 AM   #40
ColdSpider72

ColdSpider72's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeletor View Post
If you're going to post a meme at least make sure it has proper grammar next time.

If you're going to chastise grammar, at least use proper punctuation.

Besides, I got it off a site and as far as I am concerned, the humor outweighed the bad grammar. Lighten up.

Last edited by ColdSpider72; 03-19-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #41
ubermensch2007

DaftBeowulf's Gamercard
if the indoctrination theory is correct, and the Truth dlc is the REAL ending, that would be... masterful. I'm glad I saw this, because even though I disliked the ending as is, it just felt wrong, like it wasn't canon or something. alarms started going off in my head immediately when I noticed "oh look, the choice of destroying the Reapers like I had been aiming to do for the whole trilogy is outlined in red and is suggested to be the renegade ending, whereas trying to control them and letting them live like psycho/indoctrinated Martin Sheen had been wanting to do and killing myself in the process is blue and therefore paragon. wait, what?" but I didn't put the rest of it together, it just sat wrong with my subconscious.

on the one hand getting all their fans raging enough to send death threats and make the full canonical ending of my favorite gaming series ever only available through the marketplace is pretty douchey, but if that is what Bioware's doing then it'll be the biggest and most memorable twist ending in a game since "would you kindly". and that seems more in line with the style and caliber of Bioware's writing than the current ending, so for now I'll keep my fingers crossed and stop being pissed off.
ubermensch2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #42
DEG23
Listening to 1989

DEG23 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff Club - DEG23   Donator - Level 5   CABS Beta Tester   Staff - Moderator   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Rajeanero   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Nozza x360a
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
So after reading about the indoctrination theory and the fact that Bioware has written an amazing story up to this point, i am starting to think that the masses may be on to something. However i believe revealing the "true" ending in DLC is not right. I don't have a problem with DLC even if i had to pay, it is Mass Effect content after all, but i would rather play through the ending presented, then woken up back on earth and experienced the real ending in one go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Stomper View Post
I refuse to use Spotify because they have no Taylor Swift albums.
DEG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #43
Theoretic Eagle

Theoretic Eagle's Gamercard
"We are aware that there are concerns about a recent post from this account regarding the ending of the game. In this post it was stated that at this time we do not have plans to change the ending.

We would like to clarify that we are actively and seriously taking all player feedback into consideration and have ruled nothing out. At this time we are still collecting and considering your feedback and have not made a decision regarding requests to change the ending.

Your feedback and opinions are of the utmost importance to us. We apologize for any confusion this has caused. Our top priority regarding this discussion is to keep communication with you, our loyal fans, open and productive."

This is from the Mass Effect face book page.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #44
ColdSpider72

ColdSpider72's Gamercard

I used to be stationed on an aircraft carrier. I was talking to a friend who is still there and asked him if he or his shipmates had played ME3 and/or seen the endings. This is the response he has seen from the majority who did:

Last edited by ColdSpider72; 03-19-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #45
Stormy2k

Stormy2k's Gamercard
I liked the ending. I destroyed the Reapers and took a gasp of air after suviving.

I'm on twitter @Stormy2k - Talking Games/Movies/Wrestling.
Stormy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #46
xTGMx INF3RNO

xTGMx INF3RNO's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/89...ffect-3-ending

xTGMx INF3RNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #47
Y O D A

ZER0 Y0DA's Gamercard
I don't if this have been posted already,

Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.”

Last edited by Y O D A; 03-19-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Y O D A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #48
Matt x360a

AlabasterMatt's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
im getting abit tired of all these people saying how shit the ending to the game was, i personally thought it was a good ending to a brilliant game. the story was epic and realistically was the only outcome, no1 in that condition, not even shepard would survive anyway. this has always meant to be a trilogy and its good theyve put an end to it. if u watch after the credits and depending how u interprete the little scene, but that tells me there will be another mass effect just not continuingo of this one. maybe a prequel. but overall i loved the ending and the story that build up to it, i thought it was a great way to end rather thn the cliche of the hero always survives everything. brilliant. your thoughts on the ending?

Thanks Audacious for the Sig
Visit my Gallery to make your own Request

Matt x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #49
MrStabby1981

MrStabby1981's Gamercard
hope you guys like it cuz Heres my ending to mass effect

Last edited by MrStabby1981; 03-19-2012 at 05:39 PM.
MrStabby1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #50
ColdSpider72

ColdSpider72's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y O D A View Post
I don't if this have been posted already, Wintersun - Starchild (+ Lyrics) - YouTube
Yeah, I posted that a couple of times now and got hardly any responses, which surprised me.....considering how blatant that ripoff is.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #51
mjc0961

mjc0961's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Gold   Arcade Crazy - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStabby1981 View Post
Ive found a couple of more bits supporting indoctronation. James said a couple of times "Can you hear that hum?" A humming noise is one of the first signs of indoctronation.
I doubt that had anything to do with indoctrination. There really was a hum in there. Probably just something from the Normandy making that noise. Plus, I'm pretty sure it was ringing or voices that implies indoctrination, not humming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmatto101 View Post
Pulled this off another site;

Drew Karpyshyyn's original draft for ME3's ending which explained the motivations behind the Reapers. They were supposed to be a union of countless alien races with the first-generation Reapers having discovered in the distant past that Dark Energy (which was alluded to in ME2 during Tali's recruitment mission) was threatening the entire galaxy/universe, and so they preserved themselves in Reaper shells and tried to do the same to 'save' other sufficiently advanced races, while attempting to figure out a permanent solution for untold millions of years, although they were unable to find one up to the present.

When this original script got leaked, fan backlash was apparently so bad that they had to rewrite ME3's ending and so we ended up with this instead, and you know the rest.

IMO, slightly better than what we ended up with but still shite!
People hated that ending? That would be a decent ending. Way better than "Oh hi, I'm the Catalyst, I made some synthetics to kill all organics so that organics don't get killed by synthetics. Now pick a color for your shitty ending." That still leaves the massive question of who the fuck is the Catalyst and where the hell did he/it come from?! Plus, the whole game basically ignored the issue of WHY the Reapers were doing this and was more focused on stopping them. The only time Shepard questions their motivation, he gets the same "answer" that he got from Sovereign and Harbinger before. The answer that really makes no sense and to me felt like the rantings of some fanatics. So to randomly have the creator of the Reapers show up and not explain anything but instead just repeat the same shit the Reapers told us before asking us to pick a color for our magical space explosions was just... No. They could have at least let us the Catalyst and get some real answers out of it before we picked our colors!

And to be clear, I get that they never actually knew what the Crucible would do. They just assumed it would kill the Reapers, but anything could have happened. And I get that there would never really be a million different endings all based on the choices you made through the 3 games. The choices all led up to the assets you have to fight the Reapers with, not the ultimate ending of what the Crucible would do. I'm fine with that. And I'm fine with the way that the interactions with squadmates played out too.

I just don't like everything that happens and soon as that thing comes out and says "Hi, I'm the Catalyst, pick a color bitch!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolentCabaret View Post
This guide continues to warm my heart and piss off my roommates. Thanks so much!

Last edited by mjc0961; 03-19-2012 at 05:59 PM.
mjc0961 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #52
Airman Rufio

Airman Rufio's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjachicken View Post
The Prothean VI was able to detect Kai Leng’s indoctrination because it was very far along - he was intentionally implanted with Reaper augmentations. The Protheans were not able to detect indoctrination in-progress, as evidenced by instances of Reaper sedition from within the Prothean government, and wouldn’t be able to detect Shepard.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #53
elmatto101

el matto 101's Gamercard
Great article posted by Infomouse on the comments secton of the latest ME3 article on the main page. Thought it deserved re-posting here. If you think there is nothing wrong the ending you really need to read it.

http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect...ans-are-right/
Old 03-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #54
Ethereal235

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal235

Zero132132's Gamercard
I don't buy the indoctrination hypothesis at all. Everything The Catalyst said made sense to me. People act like the possibility of resolving the Geth-Quarian conflict means that organics and synthetics don't have to destroy each other, but 50,000 years prior, according to Javik, there was a battle going on with synthetics before the Reapers came. If the Reapers hadn't come, the Geth-Quarian issue never would have come up. Organic life in the galaxy would have been doomed already. The Geth aren't going to be the only synthetics created, either, since there are billions of years left before the universe won't be able to sustain life.

Even if Shepard was indoctrinated, the stated motive still makes sense, and fits with the whole 'destruction is your salvation' claim that Harbinger would often make when possessing a collector. Destroying them is still a very shortsighted solution. I find it strange (and slightly disconcerting) that people think that obliterating your enemy and many of your allies is better than reconciling with them.

With the original ending, the dark energy ending... why did they leave and return every 50,000 years, and destroy all advanced civilization? Was that ever explained? The whole 'destruction is your salvation' bit would still fit, but I don't see why they would destroy all galactic civilization rather than just offering salvation to the those they deemed worthy.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #55
ColdSpider72

ColdSpider72's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal235 View Post
I don't buy the indoctrination hypothesis at all. Everything The Catalyst said made sense to me.......
You say you played the first game and yet you think what the Catalyst says makes sense?? If you payed attention to the conversations with Sovereign at all, then you would clearly see why everything the Catalyst says makes NO sense.

I am not going to repeat the entire dialogue here, you will just have to Youtube it if you want to see what I am talking about. Watch that and the Catalyst dialogue back to back and tell us again how it makes sense.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #56
ShinMasaki

ShinMasaki528's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ip0lar View Post
I just wanna say I'm sick of all the ending videos, because half of the people making them don't even have their Mass Effect facts in order. People are like how in the hell did the Normandy outrun the shockwave at the end if the Mass relays blew up? Remember the part at the end of ME2 where you take the Omega 4 Relay to the Collector base? At the end of the suicide mission they "jump" away out of the Collector base without the aid of a Mass Relay. I'm not saying I'm the authority on fucking ME facts, but it seems pretty obvious the ship contains a drive in which some form of FTL travel is possible. How long it can be maintained or how far it goes is another story entirely but it seems pretty fucking obvious as per usual people are fucking retards and like to bitch about anything, even when they clearly know nothing about the subject matter.

Sorry my rage for people just bubbles over sometimes.
Well, yeah...FTL is a common thing. If you read the in-game info on eezo (element zero) it talks about how FTL was achieved with the discovery of eezo on Mars. The Mass Relays work by connecting two points in the universe, they work on a different scale than FTL drive. You think that exploring different galaxies in the game with a non-FTL drive would be possible timeline wise? Galaxies (Horsehead Nebula, Exodus Cluster, etc) are lightyears apart, it's not something you could just drive to and expect to be there in time to save the day.

My theory is that the battle of Earth was lost and the Normandy was running, hit the Mass Relay and jumped, but the explosion and the after effect from the Citadel, the one where it killed all the Mass Relays caught up to the Normandy and threw them out of jump space and back into regular space. You can see as the Normandy is flying that space behind it is opening into regular space. The Normandy didn't outrun the shockwave and was thrown into regular space as the Mass Relay network shut down.

I agree with you on this, people do like to bitch and complain about things when they don't even have all the info. It's called arrogance. The ship did jump back without a Mass Relay after the Omega-4 Relay, it used its FTL drive, but I personally don't know how the hell it got back, considering flying the length of a nebula uses up all your fuel = /
ShinMasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #57
freelancer knux

freelancer knux's Gamercard
the unanswered questions are the only thing that kills the end. yeah if bioware makes a real ending DLC of course i'll buy it but I just felt it gave a so much choice throughout the series Til midway through 3 that I would have some crazy endings to go through and enjoy without needing DLC too finish it.
freelancer knux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:29 AM   #58
Airman Rufio

Airman Rufio's Gamercard
The whole game foreshadows Indoctrination of not just Shepard, it's mainly YOU, the player. The whole time Shepard is having dreams of guilt throughout the game. The game is effectively pulling your heartstrings into sympathizing with the little boy.

The little boy becomes the face of the enemy to persuade you into choosing choices that result in Reapers self preservation. You see him burning together with the little boy when he tries to save him in his dream. Shepard burning with the little boy in the final dream is foreshadowing the choices in the end (Touch the fire and you'll get burned). It alluded that the little boy would be his undoing. Don't TRUST him. His dream was him sorting out/dealing with the indoctrination.

By relying on player sympathy and guilt, Bioware effectively got you to save the Reapers, especially with dangling carrot of possibly being Paragon or the GOOD ending (People are programmed to think blue/green is good, however the red choice is clearly the one you've been motivated to go for throughout all 3 games). The main enemy you were trying to defeat in the last 3 games. The BAD guys. The point that is trying to be proved that most people aren't getting is that it's not Shepard that's indoctrinated:

It's YOU, the player.

Synthesis and Control end with the Reapers surviving. Destroying the reapers ends up with Shepard surviving. In London's rubble. That scene was probably played out in Shepard's mind. If there is a DLC, destroying the Reapers signify Shepard breaking free of indoctrination and you can continue and actually destroy the Reapers.

That's my take anyways. I thought it was brilliant.

Some more on indoctrination:

Last edited by Airman Rufio; 03-20-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Airman Rufio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:32 AM   #59
Eticketjedi

EticketJedi's Gamercard
I didn't have a problem with the whole Catalyst thing or the 3 'choices'. I can see the rationalization that was mentioned before with the ME contradictions. However, I don't think the Catalyst chose to intervene until the Crucible was built. Until then, despite the delays, the pattern was still proceeding.

Regardless, take it or leave it, my problems start after you make the choice. The cinema that's shown is exactly the same in almost every instance save for the color of choice and a few design choices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPelM2hwhJA

The shot of the Normandy post landing is cool and I'll take a leap of logic there as the timing is murky.

I would have loved an update on what happened to everyone... hell anyone really.

Most importantly, how severely screwed is every civilization now? Most of the planets sent a massive portion of their fleet/troops to Earth with no way back now. The Krogan are going to have a rough time evolving without their leader. Never mind the millions that died on the Citadel if it blows up.
Eticketjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:46 AM   #60
Ethereal235

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal235

Zero132132's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun72 View Post
You say you played the first game and yet you think what the Catalyst says makes sense?? If you payed attention to the conversations with Sovereign at all, then you would clearly see why everything the Catalyst says makes NO sense.

I am not going to repeat the entire dialogue here, you will just have to Youtube it if you want to see what I am talking about. Watch that and the Catalyst dialogue back to back and tell us again how it makes sense.
He talks about imposing order on the evolution of organic life, gives the "each a nation" line, but Sovereign gives no reason for what they do. He even says that they weren't created, that they've always existed. This statement is impossible, so he's either lying, or Sovereign doesn't have a full grasp on the nature of its own existence. Either way, it has no reason to give Shepard information on what its true motives are.

Seriously, you don't have to post the whole conversation, but I've gone through that conversation multiple times, and I don't know specifically what you regard as contradicting what the Catalyst says. I'm not psychic, so I don't know what it is you're thinking about. I can't argue with points you don't bother making.

Consider the timing of Sovereign's attempt to bring back the other Reapers; Virgil suggested that it may have taken hundreds of years to work out a means to get around the Prothean's interference. The Geth may have served as the sign that the Reaper invasion should begin. Similarly, Javik talks about something called the 'Metacon War' or some shit, between organics and synthetics, and this war was also interrupted by the Reapers. If their true purpose was to stop synthetic life from destroying organic life, that's when they would choose to invade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eticketjedi View Post
Most importantly, how severely screwed is every civilization now? Most of the planets sent a massive portion of their fleet/troops to Earth with no way back now. The Krogan are going to have a rough time evolving without their leader. Never mind the millions that died on the Citadel if it blows up.
In every ending but the destruction ending, the Reapers and their knowledge are still around in some form. They created the mass relays once, so it's unlikely that they wouldn't know how to build more. Since they're already in damned near every part of the galaxy, I think they could set another mass relay network up.

As for the citadel, I'm 100% sure that everyone on there was dead long before Shepard arrived. You don't encounter any enemies, but right when you teleport in, there's a notable presence of death, mainly in the form of a pile of corpses right where you show up. Pretty sure everyone inside was already kinda slaughtered, which is pretty damned sad when you consider how many people that is.