PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Mass Effect 3
Subscribe    Donate

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the ending?
I love it. 45 9.68%
I like it as-is. 58 12.47%
I like the indoctrination theory. 56 12.04%
I like it, but the lack of closure bothers me. 99 21.29%
I dislike it, but I may like it with some elaboration and clarification. 62 13.33%
I dislike it, and hope they make a new ending. 35 7.53%
I dislike it, and believe the indoctrination theory. 42 9.03%
I hate it. 68 14.62%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #751
Bahroo3

Bahroo3's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalzine View Post
I really loved the ending. Kinda removed me of the matrix revolutions ending
You're so funny.....
Bahroo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #752
L3G1T H4MST3R

xMyLittlePonyZ's Gamercard
Quote:
I really loved the ending. Kinda removed me of the matrix revolutions ending
Ok then, so why did you like the ending? We've backed up why we hate/dislike it so give us reasons why you like it. And if your just trolling then the joke has gotten old. Theres no point trying to get people to rage at you.
L3G1T H4MST3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:21 AM   #753
DEG23
Robot Mode: Engaged

DEG23 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - DEG23   Donator - Level 5   CABS Beta Tester   Staff - Moderator   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Rajeanero   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Staff Club - Shinobi273
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
I'm not trying to start a whole new debate or defend metalzine but there are those who liked the ending, myself being one.

Granted it was disappointing regarding the "choices not making a difference" (but i knew that was coming from early on in ME3) but i liked the disjointed and unexplained ending. The one thing i can not tolerate in Sci Fi is "happy" endings or endings that are all wrapped up in the final moments. A good Sci Fi ending should leave you with more questions than answers and in it's own way, ME3 did this.
DEG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #754
Ratpelt

ratpelt's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEG23 View Post
I'm not trying to start a whole new debate or defend metalzine but there are those who liked the ending, myself being one.

Granted it was disappointing regarding the "choices not making a difference" (but i knew that was coming from early on in ME3) but i liked the disjointed and unexplained ending. The one thing i can not tolerate in Sci Fi is "happy" endings or endings that are all wrapped up in the final moments. A good Sci Fi ending should leave you with more questions than answers and in it's own way, ME3 did this.
I agree that in a story with a linear progression a disjointed, somewhat ambiguous ending can be a good thing, but as I've said before my problem with ME3 is that one ending is not nearly enough.
Ratpelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #755
metalzine

metalzine's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by L3G1T H4MST3R View Post
Ok then, so why did you like the ending? We've backed up why we hate/dislike it so give us reasons why you like it. And if your just trolling then the joke has gotten old. Theres no point trying to get people to rage at you.
I went for the ending where Shepard destroys the mass relays etc. I just rly enjoyed the dialog and build up around it.
metalzine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #756
Veedrock

Veedrock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Bronze   Genre Competition - First Place   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
I went for the ending where Shepard destroys the mass relays etc. I just rly enjoyed the dialog and build up around it.
All three ending choices destroy the Mass Relays. Not that I think you need to explain why you like the ending, just clarifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech View Post
As a site, we don't support calling it "xbone" as that was a name that was used to refer to the system in a negative light. Since the site exists to support the system, being deliberately negative towards it seems counter productive.

tl;dr - Call it the Xbox One or X1.

Last edited by Veedrock; 06-14-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Veedrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #757
L3G1T H4MST3R

xMyLittlePonyZ's Gamercard
Quote:
Thanks for replying. Now we know you're not a troll. If only everyone could give a reason for liking the ending if they did.

EDIT: I just realised you could be trolling or not realised what you posted. I shouldn't always jump to conclusions.

Last edited by L3G1T H4MST3R; 06-14-2012 at 05:58 PM.
L3G1T H4MST3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #758
Ratpelt

ratpelt's Gamercard
Quote:
This post made my day
Ratpelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #759
Grifter Reborn

Send a message via Skype™ to Grifter Reborn

Grifter x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Emerald   CABS Beta Tester   Over Achiever - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   x360a Representer   Road Map - Bronze   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
I'm so happy none of my Shepards ever experienced these "terrible" endings. Too bad that good luck didn't translate into unlocks for multiplayer.

Somebody won't get the custom face import joke

Change is inevitable.

Grifter Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #760
Bahroo3

Bahroo3's Gamercard

Tali is not a fan of the endings.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #761
jules the great

Send a message via AIM to jules the great

OldSchoolJules's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts
^^^^LMAO @ that.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:45 AM   #762
DarkReign2021
Banned User

DarkReign2021's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I'm trying to think of the best way to word this. I liked the ending... story-wise. I am completely ok with the Catalyst and their creation of the Reapers (however inherently flawed their reason for creating them might be, that's part of what it means to be an organic.) It was a little space-magical, but I can live with that. It's a sci-fi twist if ever there was one.

The lack of influence that all of the decisions had on the final game I've cooled down about as well. Sure we got ripped off in that department, but we still got to enjoy the little things our decisions influenced throughout the game and it's still a good-deal more variety of influence than you'll find in Gears of War, Halo, Final Fantasy, or Mario. I'll take what I can get and the ride getting there was fun. The only thing I wish would've been different here is making the 3 ending cutscenes more drastically diverse. They were far to similar and all boiled down to the same general events. I understand they wanted to go for kind of an Inception ending in all 3, but if I want that I'll go watch Inception.

I don't like the lack of closure with the after-events of the war. No idea what's going on in the world we struggled to save, who survived, why Joker fled, what the crew is up to, etc... I know the DLC is going to address some of this, but it's really something that shouldn't have been overlooked to begin with. We're fighting to save the universe, the least we deserve is getting to see what happened to that universe. And I still strongly feel there should've been a forth option where Shepard gives the Catalyst the finger and fights the Reapers to the end.
DarkReign2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:06 AM   #763
xxJAYDUBBxx

xxJAYDUBBxx's Gamercard
7 of all the same endings?

i got 7 of the same endings just different colors with the explosions depending on which path i went with on the ending. thought kinda lame after all these years and hours. oh well, LOCO Shepard Commander vas Normandy was still fun to play
xxJAYDUBBxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #764
tjpiper

tjpiper's Gamercard
Using some sort of 'deity' as an explanation is a cop-out.
tjpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #765
DarkReign2021
Banned User

DarkReign2021's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpiper View Post
Using some sort of 'deity' as an explanation is a cop-out.
It wasn't a deity, though. It was a holographic A.I that was built by the original species who created the Citadel and the Reapers. In effect it's no different than the beacons left behind by the Prothean. I think this is where a lot of people are hating the ending, but logically it's not that far-fetched.

The only thing that's really magical or god-like is the Synthesis ending being able to turn all life into part-synthetic. Even that might be explainable if you're willing to work with the fact that it's been alluded to since the first game when Saren became part-synthetic, Grayson in the third novel and even TIM was becoming the same way. I don't think Indoctrination has ever actually been detailed in how it actually happens, but If Indoctrination is done by, say, a combination of Wavelengths and Nano Machines housed within the Reaper ships, those nano machines are likely the same devices that allowed Saren and TIM to begin developing their cybernetic enhancements.

So really nothing in the ending is far-fetched or the work of gods. It still just boils down to the fact that our decisions had zero effect on the ending. The 3 endings were carbon copies and we never saw any of our war assets go into play. Now I understand their decision to blow up the Citadel and Mass Relays in every ending. Obviously whatever they have planned for the next series will center around these devices no longer existing. I still don't see why they didn't have more involved with the final fight in general.

Earth was an entirely undercooked portion of the game. The final fight to take back Earth should've easily been another 5 or 6 hours of playtime. They should've taken us to different continents on Earth, allowed us to play alongside our different acquired allies, and introduced a wider array of enemies. Along with basic Reaper units, we should've been forced to deal with rogue Geth and Indoctrinated members of the Merc Gangs and wild Yahg that were brought to the planets surface (I was disappointed they didn't even make us fight the one on Sur'Kesh.) They completely failed to implement the Raloi into the Canon, they had almost no space combat except for at the very beginning and there was next to no killing of actual Reapers toward the end. Considering you're in a war to stop the Reapers, you'd think we'd take out more than 2.
DarkReign2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #766
nia333

StormyC93's Gamercard
That comic was amazingly funny. I personally liked the endings. While not the perfect happily ever after ending, I still think they were great.
nia333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #767
WackFiend

Send a message via AIM to WackFiend

WackFiend's Gamercard
While going through all the new endings I found a fourth ending to the game. I don't know if it was there before Extended Cut...
Old 06-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #768
I mak3 big boom

Pound My Rumpus's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by WackFiend View Post
While going through all the new endings I found a fourth ending to the game. I don't know if it was there before Extended Cut...
That would be the refusal ending. To get it you must shoot the kid lol. It wasn't there before the extended cut.
Latest 100%: Bioshock Infinite
"It is an undeniable and may I say fundamental quality of man that when faced with extinction..."
"Every alternative is preferable"
I mak3 big boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #769
BloodGodAlucard

BloodGodAlucard's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by I mak3 big boom View Post
That would be the refusal ending. To get it you must shoot the kid lol. It wasn't there before the extended cut.
You can also get it by picking all renegade options while talking to him. You also get more dialogue this way. As opposed to just shooting him after picking paragon options skips the badass speech he gives and makes this one of the better new scenes.

Completed: 74 Retail Games and 7 Arcade Games

Proudest Completion to Date: Dark Souls 1000/1000 on Xbox 360 and 1000/1000 on PC
BloodGodAlucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #770
Bahroo3

Bahroo3's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodGodAlucard View Post
You can also get it by picking all renegade options while talking to him. You also get more dialogue this way. As opposed to just shooting him after picking paragon options skips the badass speech he gives and makes this one of the better new scenes.
The only ending where Shepard acts like.... well Shepard is the one where we all die.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #771
BloodGodAlucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahroo3 View Post
The only ending where Shepard acts like.... well Shepard is the one where we all die.
I know. Ironic isn't it? I will say that I absolutely hated the original endings we got when the game launched. The Control ending was just stupid the way it was explained. The Synthesis one was interesting but complete space magic. The Destroy ending was the one that made the most sense to me. And it's the only one where you lived. So I always picked it.

After watching all 4 extended endings. My opinions have changed. I now actually find the Control ending to be less stupid. It was actually kind of cool how Shepard pretty much becomes the Reaper's leader/god. However, I still find it to be the worst of 4.

The new Destroy scenes are a nice touch to what I considered the best original choice. It still leaves hope that you survived. So I like that aspect the best. I completely hate stories where the protagonist acts out of character and sacrifices themselves at the end when it is in way what they would normally do.

That being said, I actually liked the new Synthesis ending scenes. After hearing the god child's new backstory and fleshing out the information about each choice more, I decided this one seemed to be the best choice overall. I mean if they had to pick a canon, I can see it being this one.

The 4th hidden ending is a clear Fuck You to the fans that believed in the Indoctrination Theory. It simultaneously validated and dismissed it. Well played Bioware. I was one of the people hoping it was true.

There are plenty of problems with the Extended Cut, and it is by no means even close to being perfect. Far from it in fact. But for a free DLC I think it was acceptable. At this point they've set it up where they can continue the franchise from any of the 4 available endings. That's what the point of this really was in my opinion.

Any holes in the story or information lacking can always be explained in the sequel. I have a feeling that's Bioware's stance on the issue anyway. I'm ready to move on. Just put out the single player DLCs now. Hopefully something post game that introduces the next trilogy's protagonist. Possibly even leading into the 4th game.

I don't know. Those are my thoughts on the issue anyway. I've explained it way better to my friends. We've been talking about this all day. I'm just really tired now. So I'm just stating the broad points of how I feel about it.

Basically I thought Mass Effect 3 was 99% perfect when it launched. If you ignore the last 10 minutes of the game. And weren't focused on the multiplayer. (Which a lot of people hate. Just saying. That's not my opinion.) After the Extended Cut has fleshed out the ending options and given some much needed information, I'd bump it up to 99.5% perfect. The last .5 is really me just being a hopeless superfan of the series and wanting everything the exact way I envisioned it. But let's face it, that was never going to happen for any of us. I can accept it the way things are now.

Proudest Completion to Date: Dark Souls 1000/1000 on Xbox 360 and 1000/1000 on PC
Old 06-27-2012, 05:34 AM   #772
DarthSoth

I DarthSoth I's Gamercard

Soooo the new endings are out now? I've been away this week and xboxless. Kind of a shitty week to be sent out of town for work if both the new ME3 content and Dawnguard dropped.

Spoiler! (click here to reveal)
DarthSoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #773
eiVaL

Y0 MAC's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSoth View Post
Soooo the new endings are out now? I've been away this week and xboxless. Kind of a shitty week to be sent out of town for work if both the new ME3 content and Dawnguard dropped.
all 4 DLC endings are on youtube

and they're lame as ****

eiVaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #774
H1gher Reflex

H1gher Reflex's Gamercard
I actually enjoy the extended cut. But one thing is bugging the shit out of me.

Doesn't it state in the codex that when a mass relay explodes that it takes out the nearest planet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B A R 4 D View Post
Who gives a fuck if you're a bad sport, you have a tank..
H1gher Reflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #775
mrj3d

FrehleyzComet's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by H1gher Reflex View Post

Doesn't it state in the codex that when a mass relay explodes that it takes out the nearest planet?
Don't ask questions!!! They know!!!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #776
BloodGodAlucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by H1gher Reflex View Post

Yes it does. We've all seen that in Mass Effect 2's Arrival DLC. Shepard blew one up and killed 300,000 batarians. (No real loss in my opinion. ) That was a major plot hole in the original ending cutscenes. So now you'll notice that they don't blow up. the outer ring is just destroyed. They then say that they are only damaged and can be easily repaired. Nice correction on this issue Bioware.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #777
BrenteusMaximus

BrenteusMaximus's Gamercard
What I don't get is that the Normandy clearly crash landed on the jungle planet but then after the memorial scene, it takes off again. Nice retcon guys.

BrenteusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #778
i NatrlKilla i

Killa x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   x360a Representer   1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrenteusMaximus View Post
What I don't get is that the Normandy clearly crash landed on the jungle planet but then after the memorial scene, it takes off again. Nice retcon guys.
Didn't for me. Normandy clearly got damaged by the beam (Destroy Ending) and does not take off after the memorial.

Black Ops Multiplayer Updates Here

i NatrlKilla i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #779
Veedrock

Veedrock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Bronze   Genre Competition - First Place   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrenteusMaximus View Post
An unknown amount of time passed between the crash and the take off. They had plenty of time to do repairs if you don't assume it was immediate. The Normandy crash lands on the Collector Base in ME2 but then takes off after some repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i NatrlKilla i View Post
Didn't for me. Normandy clearly got damaged by the beam (Destroy Ending) and does not take off after the memorial.
I chose Destroy and the Normandy took off like he said. I had a high EMS though, idk if that's the deciding factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech View Post
As a site, we don't support calling it "xbone" as that was a name that was used to refer to the system in a negative light. Since the site exists to support the system, being deliberately negative towards it seems counter productive.

tl;dr - Call it the Xbox One or X1.
Veedrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #780
i NatrlKilla i

Killa x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   x360a Representer   1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedrock View Post
I chose Destroy and the Normandy took off like he said. I had a high EMS though, idk if that's the deciding factor.
That's most likely the cause. My EMS was low for those endings (I loaded up from London on my very first playthrough where I hadn't bothered getting a high EMS), also explains why my Shepard died.

Black Ops Multiplayer Updates Here

i NatrlKilla i is offline   Reply With Quote